• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Optimal Marth Rest Punish

N3XT

Smash Rookie
In the Marth v. Puff matchup, it's hard enough as is. A missed rest needs to be punished accordingly, and tippered fsmash doesn't always kill on every stage. I had an idea for something that could be more useful, and possibly, more deadly. Instead of always opting for the tippered fsmash, instead opt for a partially to fully charged sheld breaker (neutral b).

When a puff misses a rest on stage, begin to charge your shield breaker. As soon as jigglypuff wakes up, release the b button. The reason this works, is because the puff has two choices:

Choice 1: Shield.

Why choice 1 will work in the marth's favor, is because the shield breaker will tear through the puff's shield. When the puff's shield is gone, so is the puff (unless you are playing on a map with a ceiling, but you probably aren't in a tournament if you are...)

Choice 2: Take The Hit.

The puff might opt to take the hit. If this occurs, the puff will usually die anyways because of how light she is and the sword should be enough to kill her.

The alternative is charging a forward smash. If the marth does not release the smash in time, the puff can simply shield the fsmash, and there goes your chance to punish the rest. This technique simply leaves less room for error.

Note: Opt for the tipper of the shield breaker

For example:

Notice how m2k opted for the shield breaker instead of an f smash? It simply leaves less room for error.

Using this technique, you should in fact wait until the point when the puff is able to shield, so if they do, you get a guaranteed kill (shield break), and if they don't, well, hopefully it still kills anyways (its a punish, it doesn't have to lead to death to be worthwhile)

The reason I made this thread is because I see so many jiggs at my locals, and the marths there keep going for charged fsmash, and ultimately getting punished for it because they mis time it. Using shield breaker leaves less room for error even when mistimed.

I am not an expert in this stuff, nor do I claim to be, simply a thread to post any other things about good rest punishes that you might know.

NOTE: The shield breaker can be teched, but the timing is very strict. It will still do decent damage, and most of the time kill.

ALSO: If you are on a stage with a low cieling, know that you are able to kill with tippered d-smash at around 30 percent (it varies on di from puff). To perform, stand next to puff, roll behind it, then charge dsmash. It should tipper and kill.

ALSO ALSO: You can opt for the charged f-smash if you really want to, I'm not stopping you, I am just providing another rest punish option.

tl;dr: Read It

*cough* *cough* Phantom f-smash is more optimal *cough* *cough*

Say hi to TAS for me... #firstpost

Last edited:

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
This is pretty basic info, but is overlooked sometimes so great stuff posting this. I'd also like to mention that f smash will kill starting around 60% on bad DI at least from what I got out of the 20XX DI and some local puff players. Another option is to go for grab to pivot fsmash at low percents, because if the puff is smart they're gonna take the side b hit and DI down to the stage and start a neutral situation. Double dip dair is possible at mid percents I think.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
If you're timing this towards the end of puff's rest, if you're a frame off, she can spotdodge the shield breaker. Any more and she can roll. If puff has the opportunity to shield, this also means she can powershield if she's aware of when rest ends.

And if you're charging long enough for it to break an undamaged shield, puff has time to recognize this and go to one of these defenses without panic.

But yes, charging shield breaker in general is a strong, easy rest punish. Or broken shield punish in other matchups, but you should have time to space a tipper while they're airborne in that case.

Pent

Smash Rookie
Tipper downsmash is untechable and usually kills sooner than fsmash. The best thing I've ever done to Jigglypuff off rest was:

Dair, downtilt, grab, dthrow, pivot fsmash.

Barbeque

Smash Journeyman
on small stages if they have stage control and you manage to grab them near edge and dthrow them off fsmash tipper it can kill very satistisfyingly early. and also fishing for uptilt past 100-110%+ kills, like peach but hers is a little later.

also if ther isn't time to charge B i like to dair grab pummel fthrow aerials early% or if they are high % you may aswell just tipper to kil

also tipper ftilt is sweet vs puff it kills and is less commital than fsmash

Last edited:

Shiftyy

Smash Cadet
1. Walk up to puff until you start moving her

2. Roll behind her

3. Charge D-smash

4. Profit

Shiftyy

Smash Cadet
A couple problems with that.

1. You used the second hit of Dsmash. Most Marths will be using the first hit of dsmash. change that in the ikd graph and it will kill 3% faster than second hit will given the same DI

2. You also assumed no charge frames, which there will almost certainly be at least a few in most situations. Add those in and the percent that Puff dies at decreases even more.

3. If used as a mixup with fsmash, some puffs might be DIing up and in for the fsmash, which, if done, (assuming no charge frames) changes the percentage drastically. Down to 52%, completely uncharged. Had you chosen tipper fsmash in the exact same scenario, death percent becomes 68%.

In conclusion, it's not garbage at all.

ridemyboat

Smash Apprentice
A couple problems with that.

1. You used the second hit of Dsmash. Most Marths will be using the first hit of dsmash. change that in the ikd graph and it will kill 3% faster than second hit will given the same DI

2. You also assumed no charge frames, which there will almost certainly be at least a few in most situations. Add those in and the percent that Puff dies at decreases even more.

3. If used as a mixup with fsmash, some puffs might be DIing up and in for the fsmash, which, if done, (assuming no charge frames) changes the percentage drastically. Down to 52%, completely uncharged. Had you chosen tipper fsmash in the exact same scenario, death percent becomes 68%.

In conclusion, it's not garbage at all.
1. The second hit is better, I did that because I was feeling generous. She lives an extra percent with the optimal di on first hit.

2. 41%, which is still mediocre considering that you spent an extra 60 or so frames just on positioning. Seriously, just use shield breaker. I didn't include charge frames because if you wanted to charge something it would be shield breaker.

3. It's easy to react to you rolling behind them. No puff is going to use fsmash di against dsmash.

You can use it if you want to, but seriously tipper dsmash is not worthwhile. It's situational even on the low ceiling stages like pokemon stadium and yoshi story because of the janky ledges on both stages and then the transformations. Shield breaker is easier to land, and it's not like you're going to be far away from them when they miss their rests anyway. Plus, dsmash has the added risk of getting the inner hitboxes that send puff at the sakurai angle, so they'll just tech it and rest you for using dsmash lol.

Delta Chae

The Observer
? I thought shield breaker was pretty much the punish that any competent Marth player would default to on a whiffed rest. It kills earlier than fsmash and you don't need to be concerned about spacing it correctly if Puff has even little bit of damage provided that the hitboxes connect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom