• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The One Winged Angel~ Sephiroth Social Thread

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Glad to see some Sephy support still going strong.

I still have hope for Sephiroth, if we get a wave 2 I will be much more optimistic.
Why just Wave 2?
I believe we're getting him now at this point.
Erdrick's two main trump cards could be eliminated (only depends on Banjo being Brave and Erdrick not showing up at E3)

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Enjoy the full reveal of Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII Remake. Y'know? That sword of his ain't that long, even if it's partially the angle playing tricks on you. Could work juuust fine in Smash. Just sayin'.

Sephiroth.png

T∅XIC HYDRA

Smash Cadet
I saw a news report on my phone about Final Fantasy VII remake being dropped in March of 2020. That could mean it's a big focus of Square Enix's presentation at E3.

Fellas. THIS COULD BE IT!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I saw a news report on my phone about Final Fantasy VII remake being dropped in March of 2020. That could mean it's a big focus of Square Enix's presentation at E3.

Dear lord I will have a heart attack if there is a Banjo & Kazooie and Sephiroth double reveal on Tuesday.

T∅XIC HYDRA

Smash Cadet
Dear lord I will have a heart attack if there is a Banjo & Kazooie and Sephiroth double reveal on Tuesday.
You and me both buddy. You have no idea how stoked I'll be to have gotten the best potential reps for SE and Microsoft while simultaneously shutting down Minecraft Steve and DQ rep talk.

Now if we can just get Sora as a Disney rep...my life will be made.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Enjoy the full reveal of Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII Remake. Y'know? That sword of his ain't that long, even if it's partially the angle playing tricks on you. Could work juuust fine in Smash. Just sayin'.

View attachment 226940
That is the original length. In Smash he would pull back the sword further as in his classic fighting stance.
Range was never an issue. We have literally Shulk here

T∅XIC HYDRA

Smash Cadet
That is the original length. In Smash he would pull back the sword further as in his classic fighting stance.
Range was never an issue. We have literally Shulk here
I think too many people think of the over the top versions found in later media like Kingdom Hearts. It was almost comical in those games.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I think too many people think of the over the top versions found in later media like Kingdom Hearts. It was almost comical in those games.
The truth is, most people out there are too young to have played FFVII at its prime, and just knew the FFVII characters from KH, AC and CC, media that is extremely questionable in terms of how faithful and coherent it is with the original game.
Pretty sad. Most of the Nintendo fanbase back then made an exception with the PS strictly because of FFVII. The game was promised to the N64, we had basically FF as an unofficial Nintendo franchise, and the game was still being made in the same design philosophy they had back in the I-VI days that had such a big Nintendo influence.
I'm glad the designs are being nailed, but I'm worried about the Remake changing the script too much. The dark spectres that surround Aerith and Cloud could add or make the Aerith-Cloud-Sephiroth dynamic worse.

T∅XIC HYDRA

Smash Cadet
The truth is, most people out there are too young to have played FFVII at its prime, and just knew the FFVII characters from KH, AC and CC, media that is extremely questionable in terms of how faithful and coherent it is with the original game.
Pretty sad. Most of the Nintendo fanbase back then made an exception with the PS strictly because of FFVII. The game was promised to the N64, we had basically FF as an unofficial Nintendo franchise, and the game was still being made in the same design philosophy they had back in the I-VI days that had such a big Nintendo influence.
I'm glad the designs are being nailed, but I'm worried about the Remake changing the script too much. The dark spectres that surround Aerith and Cloud could add or make the Aerith-Cloud-Sephiroth dynamic worse.
I'm in that boat. I was introduced to the series through Kingdom Hearts. A lot of that media was pretty neat though, gives Sephiroth a lot of moveset potential.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
It does, but I'll admit my bias when I say that I tend to lean towards the original material more.
I liked the first KH quite a lot, but from II onwards things lost their way. And as early as I, Cloud was already butchered as a character.
CC and AC adopted much of KH's interpretation. The one thing that I would include in his potential moveset is his white blade beams
I think that this time they might pull more from Dissidia as inspiration.

T∅XIC HYDRA

Smash Cadet
I think it's in this threads best interest to watch the Square Enix E3 presentation at 9pmET tonight. It won't confirm anything but the more FF7 we see the better, as well as the less focus on DQ we see is a good sign.

EDIT: Well there's always the chance of a second fighter pass I guess :(

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
My dudes, kinda late, but as we get Hero, Sephiroth's spot for this Fighters Pass is now gone.
I'm very very happy for Dragon Quest in Smash, loved the amount of detail and things that have been brought already. Goes to show how the DQ representation is already better than FF, and how the relationship between SE and Nintendo has improved so much and how SE is more open to collaborate in a DLC. If Seph gets in Smash in the future, at least this gives a precedent for the pack to compensate the current state the series is in.
But I'm not going to lie, I was also a bit heartbroken to see it wasn't him after believing quite hard it was going to be our time.
FFVII Remake didn't get any sign of life of a possible Switch port and no Sephiroth at all in Smash.
It was pretty rough for me at least.
I am not sure if we are getting a second pass or not. If so, we have a very good chance again, but most likely we'll have to face Sora next time.
If we aren't getting anything anymore, it was a pleasure to rally up for this game. I've met some nice people along the way because of all of this, and I'm grateful for it. Maybe better luck next time.

T∅XIC HYDRA

Smash Cadet
My dudes, kinda late, but as we get Hero, Sephiroth's spot for this Fighters Pass is now gone.
I'm very very happy for Dragon Quest in Smash, loved the amount of detail and things that have been brought already. Goes to show how the DQ representation is already better than FF, and how the relationship between SE and Nintendo has improved so much and how SE is more open to collaborate in a DLC. If Seph gets in Smash in the future, at least this gives a precedent for the pack to compensate the current state the series is in.
But I'm not going to lie, I was also a bit heartbroken to see it wasn't him after believing quite hard it was going to be our time.
FFVII Remake didn't get any sign of life of a possible Switch port and no Sephiroth at all in Smash.
It was pretty rough for me at least.
I am not sure if we are getting a second pass or not. If so, we have a very good chance again, but most likely we'll have to face Sora next time.
If we aren't getting anything anymore, it was a pleasure to rally up for this game. I've met some nice people along the way because of all of this, and I'm grateful for it. Maybe better luck next time.
Couple of things I wanted to address in your statement. I agree, Sephiroth is done. FFVII remake will not be coming to Switch because the Switch can't handle it from a hardware standpoint. As far as a second fighters pass, I think it depends largely on how long Nintendo as a company plans on keeping the Switch relevant. The fact that Breath of the Wild 2 was teased for it makes me think they're going to keep it for a while, as well as Animal Crossing just now coming out and a rumored Mario Odyssey sequel. That being said, the timeline for all Smash DLC is very short. We will have all the DLC fighters nearly a month before Animal Crossing even comes out at the latest. I know Sakurai has made some comments about being somewhat sketchy on a second fighters pass, but in the end if the Switch is staying around and the hype around Smash is seemingly bigger than it has ever been before, it may not be up to him. Nintendo may mandate it as a company and if past precedent is any indicator, although Sakurai doesn't have to agree to do it, he would. Because Smash is his baby. Now, IF there is a second fighters pass, I'm actually going to refute your argument that he would be pitted against Sora. I think Sora still might be in this fighters pass. I've discussed the topic of Sora with lots of people here (he's tied for my most wanted with Sephiroth, actually) and it's important to note that he is not a property of Square. Legally, he is owned solely by Disney. And while he's Square affiliated, Disney just consults Tetsuya Nomura anytime they want to license Sora for anything out of respect for his intellectual property. Disney gets the final say. I honestly believe, second fighters pass or not, Sora will be included in this game. Because this game is really setting out to be the "complete Smash experience" (all fighters, almost all stages...RIP Mute City Melee, and lots of fan service). Sora doesn't appeal to the East or to the West, he's been sitting at the top spot of both in most popular polls in both regions for years. And I could very easily see him being included as our very first Disney rep rather than taking a spot from a Square rep.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Couple of things I wanted to address in your statement. I agree, Sephiroth is done. FFVII remake will not be coming to Switch because the Switch can't handle it from a hardware standpoint. As far as a second fighters pass, I think it depends largely on how long Nintendo as a company plans on keeping the Switch relevant. The fact that Breath of the Wild 2 was teased for it makes me think they're going to keep it for a while, as well as Animal Crossing just now coming out and a rumored Mario Odyssey sequel. That being said, the timeline for all Smash DLC is very short. We will have all the DLC fighters nearly a month before Animal Crossing even comes out at the latest. I know Sakurai has made some comments about being somewhat sketchy on a second fighters pass, but in the end if the Switch is staying around and the hype around Smash is seemingly bigger than it has ever been before, it may not be up to him. Nintendo may mandate it as a company and if past precedent is any indicator, although Sakurai doesn't have to agree to do it, he would. Because Smash is his baby. Now, IF there is a second fighters pass, I'm actually going to refute your argument that he would be pitted against Sora. I think Sora still might be in this fighters pass. I've discussed the topic of Sora with lots of people here (he's tied for my most wanted with Sephiroth, actually) and it's important to note that he is not a property of Square. Legally, he is owned solely by Disney. And while he's Square affiliated, Disney just consults Tetsuya Nomura anytime they want to license Sora for anything out of respect for his intellectual property. Disney gets the final say. I honestly believe, second fighters pass or not, Sora will be included in this game. Because this game is really setting out to be the "complete Smash experience" (all fighters, almost all stages...RIP Mute City Melee, and lots of fan service). Sora doesn't appeal to the East or to the West, he's been sitting at the top spot of both in most popular polls in both regions for years. And I could very easily see him being included as our very first Disney rep rather than taking a spot from a Square rep.
I'm not that certain on the Switch being a no-go for the Remake.
Downgrades exist and it can work, specially with the engine and the toolset created by the Enix team specifically for Switch development.
Part 2 onwards will be next gen, no doubt, and thus Nintendo would have their next console with it, most likely.

Regarding the Switch's life cycle and Smash, as you pointed out, Nintendo wants to make Switch last longer, definitely.
Splatoon 2, a successful game that garnered less than Smash, had 2 years of DLC support. I think Nintendo might see the explosive reaction in favor of the new DLCs as precedent to go a bit further. So I believe that a second pass is very likely. Sakurai wouldn't say no. He dislikes season passes and Nintendo asked him to do it, and he did. If Nintendo wants Ultimate to bring more money, they will ask for more.

Regarding Sora, it's hard not to associate Sora with Disney. Disney owns Sora, but they made it clear that any use of him has to go through Nomura and Square first, so in the end, Square would definitely have him being pushed instead of Sephiroth.
Admitedly, Sora is the one I least wanted from the list of 7, but I think he is the frontrunner, and can ruin Sephiroth's shot.
We'll see.
I hope Sephiroth gets in with the DLC pack that we discussed. It would rep FFVII the way it deserves, and would honestly be the third party with the best representation out of all of them

Oddball

Smash Lord
Yeah, it's a shame most people don't know Cloud and company as they really were. they just know the flanderized version SQUARE turned them into.

I much preferred the slightly goofy and trying too hard to be cool Cloud over the straight emo one we have now.

Same thing for the Cloud obsessed generically evil Sephiroth the spinoffs gave us. I liked Sephiroth a lot better when he just really wasn't that concerned with Cloud and didn't even remember who he was half the time. That and his creepy mother obsession got lost somewhere.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Pretty accurate description of both of them, if you ask me.

Man, I wish we got Sephiroth in Smash so he could get the first proper representation outside of the OG FFVII..
Just imagine facing Safer Seph as a boss in WoL
Btw, that Gruntilda segment at the Banjo trailer kinda hinted at her possibly being a new boss.
Maybe the DLC Boss thing I said previously really is happening

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yo lads, it feels wrong that Sephiroth isn't in Smash yet, especially since additional SE characters are on the table now, so count me in as a supporter. Especially if it leads to Tifa as a possibility later on.

Seph helping to kick off a second Fighter Pass? That'd be starting things off with a huge Meteor bang.

Yeah, it's a shame most people don't know Cloud and company as they really were. they just know the flanderized version SQUARE turned them into.

I much preferred the slightly goofy and trying too hard to be cool Cloud over the straight emo one we have now.

Same thing for the Cloud obsessed generically evil Sephiroth the spinoffs gave us. I liked Sephiroth a lot better when he just really wasn't that concerned with Cloud and didn't even remember who he was half the time. That and his creepy mother obsession got lost somewhere.
It doesn't help that Nomura tends to listen to the majority of dumber fans and rewrites characters according to what they perceive them as. Thankfully this remake should set things back on track, in theory, since it's been said that the spirit of the original's story would be kept.

Also, I love that "Let's mosey" was quoted at the E3 presentation.

Last edited:

Kingkridley

Smash Rookie
We need more villains, and this imposing badass should fill up the 3rd party villain role.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Pretty much hoping for a second pass. But I do not think that it will be a free win for Sephiroth.
Still needs to have the certainty of a Square rep coming again, and the main issue is facing Sora, given that, if Disney is approached, it would be up to Square to give the ok. I don't think Sakurai would be able or willing to get TWO more SE chars. It's either Sora or Sephiroth. I'll keep my expectations low for the possibility of a second pass, the second pass having a SE char, and that char being Sephiroth himself. Gonna rely on the FFVII Remake hype train to give him the edge, otherwise, I'll be expecting Sora, sadly.

Also, here was exactly what I thought was gonna happen when I saw that intro.

https://twitter.com/WertQuadNine/status/1140336505354891264 Warning: Mild swearing

Last edited by a moderator:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Pretty much hoping for a second pass. But I do not think that it will be a free win for Sephiroth.
Still needs to have the certainty of a Square rep coming again, and the main issue is facing Sora, given that, if Disney is approached, it would be up to Square to give the ok. I don't think Sakurai would be able or willing to get TWO more SE chars. It's either Sora or Sephiroth. I'll keep my expectations low for the possibility of a second pass, the second pass having a SE char, and that char being Sephiroth himself. Gonna rely on the FFVII Remake hype train to give him the edge, otherwise, I'll be expecting Sora, sadly.

Oh my god, that would've been amazing

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

https://twitter.com/WertQuadNine/status/1140336505354891264 Warning: Mild swearing
I'd be fine with either character, honestly. Sora's the bigger far shot, since Disney would be a little tougher to deal with.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Back when Sakurai said about SSBU being about light vs darkness, and the illustrations seen before K. Rool and seeing Cloud fight Dracula in the Wolrd Of Light intro; I had a feeling Sephiroth was coming as it seems you can´t have Cloud without the other.

LOL Pinoy even mentioned Sephiroth when most of the illustrations were shown again at the Banjo reveal.

I see it hard for Sephy to make it in, but add me as a supporter.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I will say, if Seph is in a hypothetical second pass, there are better ways to hide his involvement than giving Cloud practically nothing in regards to spirits (with FF7 artwork) and new music. That just tips everyone off and makes them think that SE are lousy at keeping things a secret. Even more than letting Hashimoto know about anything.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I will say, if Seph is in a hypothetical second pass, there are better ways to hide his involvement than giving Cloud practically nothing in regards to spirits (with FF7 artwork) and new music. That just tips everyone off and makes them think that SE are lousy at keeping things a secret. Even more than letting Hashimoto know about anything.
Well, even with that precedent people are not putting any faith on him.
It is widely regarded that Cloud was a fluke and it is next to impossible we would get more FFVII content

Back when Sakurai said about SSBU being about light vs darkness, and the illustrations seen before K. Rool and seeing Cloud fight Dracula in the Wolrd Of Light intro; I had a feeling Sephiroth was coming as it seems you can´t have Cloud without the other.

LOL Pinoy even mentioned Sephiroth when most of the illustrations were shown again at the Banjo reveal.

I see it hard for Sephy to make it in, but add me as a supporter.
There was one of the more popular japanese reacts to DQ where the guy thought the Luminary was Sephiroth for some reason. I loled. XD
At least the community there shows their support for Sephiroth more expressively, ironically

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I support him as an Echo- if that is even possible. Not as an original character.

Speaking of Final Fantasy- Tom Holland wants to be the warrior of darkness. Woof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqju18pcq6U
There is zero chance, or sense, for Sephiroth to be an echo fighter of anyone.

Honestly, I don't think he'd work as an echo, especially if they want him to go full-on Safer for his FS. Besides, katanas aren't as heavy as broadswords.
I think Safer should be a WoL boss more than part of his FS.
They can have him use Supernova without being in godform

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
There is zero chance, or sense, for Sephiroth to be an echo fighter of anyone.

I think Safer should be a WoL boss more than part of his FS.
They can have him use Supernova without being in godform
I don't disagree, but maybe you ciould back up your argument so that the thought can be understood.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I don't disagree, but maybe you ciould back up your argument so that the thought can be understood.
Sephiroth's size, range, fighting style, magic, and movement are all inherently different from Cloud
Making him an echo automatically makes the character not who he is.
If you want a Cloud echo, go for Zack, not a katana-wielding dude that is taller than Cloud, floats, is quick, has a slightly longer sword than Cloud, that summons meteors and does not have any limit break.

SKX31

Smash Master
If you want a Cloud echo, go for Zack, not a katana-wielding dude that is taller than Cloud, floats, is quick, has a slightly longer sword than Cloud, that summons meteors and does not have any limit break.
Would, would Sephiroth have float cancels too?

That basically makes him automatic top tier. Imagine him doing stuff like what Peach / Daisy can do:

Only with a goddamn long katana. Making sure he's able to wall out pretty much anyone.

I would consider picking him up as a secondary character if that's the case. :p

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
A swordfighter that floats and float cancels is automatically the best in the game.
I sincerely doubt anyone in the design team would date to go for that. XD
They want a balanced game, not something like Brawl or Melee

EDIT:
BOI, I KNOW IT'S NOT SEPH, BUT SHE IS GORGEOUS (and nerfed, bc of course the Advent Children build takes priority, amirite)

After Seph is in, she should be the final FFVII character that deserves a spot in Smash as a fighter

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
If it isn't a case of Square being stingy, then perhaps the lack of Geno and Chocobo mii outfits does imply the possibility of a second Square rep. Sephy is definitely big enough to close out the fighter pack, and just in time to advertise FFVIIR part 1. Honestly I hope we do get another FF character regardless as FF needs more content in the game like more music and spirits.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If it isn't a case of Square being stingy, then perhaps the lack of Geno and Chocobo mii outfits does imply the possibility of a second Square rep. Sephy is definitely big enough to close out the fighter pack, and just in time to advertise FFVIIR part 1. Honestly I hope we do get another FF character regardless as FF needs more content in the game like more music and spirits.
I have that possibility kept in mind. However, I wouldn't be too shocked if we somehow ended up with both Geno and Seph. Theoretically nothing would prevent a company from having two DLC characters at the same time.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
3 chars from the same company in the same DLC run might be a bit too much, from my point of view.
I honestly see Geno in Smash 6.
Right now I think Sora is the one big contender for a second spot at the end outside of FF. It's a char SE would push for, and it is a franchise that is just as relevant and financially advantageous for SE, even if he is in essence a character owned by Disney.
I still think Seph would be the FF rep bc Sakurai already got the contracts for FFVII, so it would be much more practical for use.
We still have teases, and the character has zero things deconfirming him as of yet, from any interview or press release. No spirits, no assist trophies, no previous appearance in any form. Yet he is referenced by Sakurai a good number of times by now.
The Chocobo costume is fishy bc this isn't a char that is in the base game in any form, and would be expected to be monetized by SE.

Keep expectations in check, but the mii costumes from Squaresoft not returning is a good sign for us.

EDIT: I would like to remind everyone about that status I posted a long time ago regarding Sephiroth's position in the speculation cycle.
Outside of Hero, Sephiroth was the most heard name and was believed to be the most likely outside of DQ. So maybe getting a true Square rep could imply that the information they had a while ago was also correct, and we were getting both.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
The thing is, the issues with Sephiroth's inclusion seem to have been alleviated a little. Let's review them.

1. Dragon Quest DLC.

It's a little odd that we still hear the argument of Square having a stranglehold on anything after Dragon Quest got 8 music tracks and 4 different Heroes from different games. Even after that, though, people still go mad about this. The thing is, Dragon Quest got spirits, but Final Fantasy hasn't (besides the Smash renders of Cloud.) It's a long shot, but we theorise that perhaps this is an interesting void that Square have created in order to fill? See, people say 'there's already two Square reps so it's never going to happen.' To which we say; yeah, that would make sense for Sm4sh seems as, up to then, it was mostly the case of one character per third party. Now, look at Sega with 3, Konami with 2 (discounting Richter as he's an echo) Capcom with 2 (discounting Ken as he's an echo) and now Square with 2, as well as Microsoft and Namco with 1 each, and room to grow.

2. Balancing.

On this thread, there's already been a lot of discussion about the length of the Masamune, so we won't add to it. However, people are saying that Sephiroth would be OP- maybe, but him being good isn't a problem. If anything, he'd play with similar stats to Cloud, like speed and weight, but with slightly more graceful, combo-orientated moves, as opposed to Cloud's mainly 'big boi hit' style. Also, there are patches for a reason if he ends up being OP.

There's more, but we have to leave to do some stuff. What we're trying to say is that we are totally up for his inclusion.
Bring the One-Winged Angel to the Battlefield!

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
And with the announcement of more DLC after the pass, this thread should be revitalized!!
We might actually have a shot!
Hoping the FFVII Remake hype train convinces Sakurai to try and reach Square to give FFVII the representation it deserves!

We might have Sora and Geno as direct competitors (if you consider that Sora only needs Nomura's approval over other chars of his, and Geno having a shot despite being a spirit). Either way, the first pass had Sephiroth being a very close call from getting the spot. As was previously stated, insiders were of the opinion that, if DQ wasn't getting a rep, it was going to be Sephiroth. Maybe this time around this ends up happening!

It's good to know this shall live on for longer.

I left SB a while ago, but I thought it would be good to give this thread some life.

EDIT: TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom Are you going to organize the support list and proposed moveset in the OP?

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
We should bring this one up alive. There's always a chance for Sephiroth! even for Pass 2

Last edited:
Top Bottom