• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The One Winged Angel~ Sephiroth Social Thread

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

“I will... never be a memory.”

Who is Sephiroth?
Sephiroth is one of the most iconic video game villains of all time. As Cloud’s arch nemesis and the main antagonist of Final Fantasy VII, he sought to obtain godhood by absorbing all the life force of the planet. Several of gamings most iconic moments are related to him: the burning of Nibelheim, the death of Aerith/Aeris, and his signature move supernova.

Why should he be in smash?
As previously states, he is one of the most iconic villains in all of gaming. Aside from maybe Dr Eggman, I struggle to find a villain as iconic as he is. He is easily more iconic than any other FF character.

Some might say that third parties should not have more than one rep, but it is possible that this limit will be broken.

Sephiroth is a massively popular character, routinely topping Final Fantasy popularity polls. For a series as wide and vast as Final fantasy, standing out from the crowd in a big way is an achievement.

How would he fight?
I’ll post a moveset here once I am done traveling.

Gallery

Supporter list

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
While he's not my first choice for a second FF character (I'm in the camp of representing other FF games and mages like Terra or Black Mage/Vivi), I like Sephiroth and can see the appeal. His moveset would likely be a combination of iai strikes, sword combos, and projectiles like he is in Dissidia. I can see Hell's Gate as a dair, Heaven's Light as a recovery, Octaslash as a Side B combo, Zanshin as a Neutral B, and Black Materia as a Down B. The only issue is balancing him so that his range isn't too overpowered; he'd have more disjointed range than Shulk.

Last edited:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
You know, I never played a Final Fantasy game. Well, I have. The first one I played was Final Fantasy XV. But. yeah! Definitely add me to the supporters!

KMDP

Smash Legend
As someone who has been claiming Sephiroth has a chance to get into this Smash Bros. game on the Official Smash Ultimate board, I have to say I'm a supporter. :laugh:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I support Sephiroth in this game. He's one of my favorite video game characters ever and we really need more villains. I came up with a moveset for him years back for a potential Brawl mod. It would be awesome to see something along these lines for him in Smash Ultimate (warning, the spoiler has a ton of gifs that I made to show off his attacks):

SEPHIROTH
Weak Attacks:

A Combo
A series of slashes.

Forward Tilt
Sephiroth performs a series of attacks with his sword, his fists, and his legs. Like a cross between Ike's Neutral A combo and Snake's Forward Tilt combo. The last strike of this will be the only one with significant knockback.

Up Tilt
Sephiroth swings his sword to shoot out some rather weak air blades diagonally up. This will play very similarly to the CoN Naruto PSA's Kunai attack. Marth's Up Tilt animation would work well for this.

Down Tilt
Ike's Down Tilt would probably be fine, as long as the range in increased.

Running A
Maybe kind of like Marth's.

Allows you to lead into some of your A combos, like so:

Smash Attacks:
Forward Smash
Sephiroth performs a slash similar to Link's Forward Smash animation. But the longer you charge this, the more strikes he performs, which could end up looking a lot like Marth's full Forward B combo, except that he would travel a further distance while attacking.

Up Smash
Pretty much the same as Ike's, just faster and weaker. Fast enough so that his Up Tilt can sometimes set the opponent up for it.

Down Smash
Sephiroth holds his sword up and stabs it into the ground. Very similar to Ike's Neutral B, even the animation can be the same. But instead of fire, there can be that green lifestream stuff, with bits of earth/rocks cracking up, kind of like this:

Of course, this gif is of what his Aerial Down A should be, but the effect is the same.

Specials:
Neutral B
Sephiroth summons a meteor that shoots diagonally down. The longer you charge, the greater distance the meteor travels. For example, just tap B, and it comes down right in front of you. Charge it for a bit, and it comes down like in this gif:

If performed in the air, there is no charge up, and it shoots out a bunch of weaker meteors.

Forward B
Maybe something like Zelda's Forward B. You will control a little shiny thing, but when you let go, it will explode into shadowy spheres.

Up B
Extremely similar to Lucario's. Sephiroth enters a flying state that lasts maybe a second. There will be a brief start-up time where you choose the initial direction you want to go in. You can also attack out of it and use whatever remaining jumps you have afterwards.

Down B
Sephiroth summons a giant pillar of fire around him. The longer you charge, the more pillars there will be, with a maximum of three (the second pillar will be in front of him, the third will be in back). These pillars pull the opponent toward them and keep the opponent trapped for a second or two while burning him (like Ness' PK Fire). Good at racking up damage, but little knockback. Maybe Ho-oh or Entai's fire could work for this.

Grabs:
Grab
Sephiroth pulls his sword back then thrusts it in a given direction (Forward, Up, Diagonally Up, or Diagonally Down), impaling the enemy. This will have a slow start-up time, like Samus', giving the player a chance to choose which direction he will stab in. Marth's Neutral B is a pretty perfect animation for this.

This gif includes his Up Throw

Aerial Grab
Works the same as his ground grab, but it will always stab upwards, and automatically fling the opponent downwards. This could be a good spiking move.

Pummel
Sephiroth twists his sword while the enemy is impaled.

Forward Throw
Sephiroth pulls his sword back and kicks the opponent off of it.

Back Throw
Sephiroth turns around and performs Marth's forward smash animation (or something like it), flinging the opponent off his sword.

Up Throw
Sephiroth flings his opponent upward off his sword.

Down Throw
Sephiroth slams his opponent into the ground, pulls his sword out of him, and then stabs him again.

Aerial Attacks:
Neutral A
Marth's Neutral A in the air could work fine for this. Just up the range.

Forward A
Sephiroth swings his sword downward, very much like Ike's Forward A in the air.

Back A
Marth's arial Back A should work fine, just with increased range.

Up A
Sephiroth rapidly stabs upwards. Little to no knockback, but good at racking up damage.

Down A
What Sephiroth does when he kills a certain someone. Think Toon Link's. It can even use Link's exact animation. One of his main killing moves. If he hits the ground with it, it can cause the earth to crack up and green lifestream stuff to come out.

Final Smash:
Sephiroth enters a state similar to Super Sonic, where he can fly around and perform his attacks (Unlike Sonic, just touching the opponent will not hurt them).

Kinda like this.
His Neutral B becomes a slash attack, and if you connect with it, it leads to a cinematic attack (similar to Captain Falcon's if possible) like this:

Special Traits / Other:
Marth's countering pose could make for a pretty good basic standing pose for Sephiroth. Is it possible to have him walk while holding his sword like this too?

This could be a good run for him:

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Yeah I support. There's a lot going for Seph and I think he'd be a really awesome addition that many wouldn't see coming at all.

-He's Cloud's enemy. Cloud is already in the game, and the game seems to have a heroes and villains theme going on a little bit, based on K Rool's trailer.
-He's been a main antagonist in FF7, the main antagonist of it's movie sequel (which has already been referenced by Cloud's costumes), a secondary antagonist/starting ally in the prequel, a playable fighter in all three FF fighting game spinoffs, an optional boss in two KH games and is overall one of the most popular villains in all of gaming.
-Sakurai has already referenced the Square crossover as "Final Fantasy VII" specifically during the initial direct, rather than FF as a whole. This suggests that this one game/game compendium may get more attention this time.
-Tons of unique potential. His disjoints can be reduced by simply using in-game FF7 Masamune rather than the elongated version in the side games.
-The lack of FF7 music and ATs is suspect, implying that additional FF7 content may be coming soon since it's part of the base game and not DLC now. Seph would be a sick playable fighter, and Aerith or Tifa could be an Assist.
-Japan actually really likes him and talks about him decently often. He scores pretty well in polls over there, in many cases better than characters we consider huge like Isaac.

I think he has a shot, and everyone just downplays him because of Geno, FF7 stigmas, and the belief that 3rd parties cant get two unique fighters.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Not to derail or drive off topic, but is there an established Kefka support thread on Smashboards?

Otherwise; I would probably be fine with Sephiroth.... eventually. Like.... Smash 6 or late Smash 5 DLC.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Not to derail or drive off topic, but is there an established Kefka support thread on Smashboards?

Otherwise; I would probably be fine with Sephiroth.... eventually. Like.... Smash 6 or late Smash 5 DLC.
There may be. Honestly I don't think Kefka would ever get in before Terra just because main characters always get the first nod before villains. So it'd probably make sense to support the Terra thread as hard as you could, then if she makes it, open a Kefka thread. A Sephiroth thread would've made no sense and been laughed off if it wasn't for Cloud being in.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
There may be. Honestly I don't think Kefka would ever get in before Terra just because main characters always get the first nod before villains. So it'd probably make sense to support the Terra thread as hard as you could, then if she makes it, open a Kefka thread. A Sephiroth thread would've made no sense and been laughed off if it wasn't for Cloud being in.
Honestly I'm less into FF and more into having a playable insane scary ass clown on the Smash Roster. Plus more villains. Not really expecting him anytime soon; but I do know people like Kefka and he would make an interesting pick/moveset.

If you want my opinion; the first Third Party franchise that'll get a Unique second Newcomer is the Sonic Franchise.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Honestly I'm less into FF and more into having a playable insane scary *** clown on the Smash Roster. Plus more villains. Not really expecting him anytime soon; but I do know people like Kefka and he would make an interesting pick/moveset.

If you want my opinion; the first Third Party franchise that'll get a Unique second Newcomer is the Sonic Franchise.
In that case, I'd recommend trying to make the scariest mii fighter possible, if scary clowns are what you're looking for. Kefka would be better, but should be supported only if his actual character is appreciated.

I really hope you're wrong about the Sonic thing, because his franchise is a joke nowadays and one of the only characters that would've deserved a spot and came from an Sonic game that was actually good, Knuckles, is an AT. At this point it's Echo Shadow or nothing. No one else except Tails or Eggman deserves a spot now, and if we're talking twirly characters give Dixie over Tails any day. Eggman would be cool though. So if there has to be a second Sonic character, I'd want him.

Sephiroth is really really popular. He's practically a gaming icon at this point, and storied villain. He's also a bit of a dark horse because everyone is so focused on Bandana Dee, Isaac etc that many haven't even considered him, or they refuse to consider that FF7 can get a second character when Square hasn't given them Geno yet. But in terms of impact on the gaming world... Sephiroth beats virtually any SE rep by a country mile, even Geno. And his game is already represented in Smash a bit as it is.

I can totally imagine him being a surprise newcomer that drops everyone's jaw.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
There isn't a Kefka support thread, to my knowledge.
I can totally imagine him being a surprise newcomer that drops everyone's jaw.
Something I had been saying, like, almost two months ago on the General Thread. :chuckle:

Everyone's sleeping on Sephiroth as a possibility for a character.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
You know, as cool as Sephy would be in this game, how would they work out the balance of his weapons range and the full scope of his power while still being able to keep him in character and fair to the rest of the roster?

KMDP

Smash Legend
You know, as cool as Sephy would be in this game, how would they work out the balance of his weapons range and the full scope of his power while still being able to keep him in character and fair to the rest of the roster?
Simple, give him lots of cooldown on his attacks, which is pretty much what they do in Dissidia.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Simple, give him lots of cooldown on his attacks, which is pretty much what they do in Dissidia.
Then he might end up being bad character instead of a good one like Cloud is. Smash characters need to be able to follow-up quickly after landing a move to keep up the pressure off stage or keep them from landing on stage, all to box out the opponent.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Then he might end up being bad character instead of a good one like Cloud is. Smash characters need to be able to follow-up quickly after landing a move to keep up the pressure off stage or keep them from landing on stage, all to box out the opponent.
Well, a solution to that would be to make his attacks have cooldown only if you don't hit anything. That way you need to be sure you're going to land your attack, or else you're going to be punished.

Basically, not a character for noobs. XD

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Well, a solution to that would be to make his attacks have cooldown only if you don't hit anything. That way you need to be sure you're going to land your attack, or else you're going to be punished.

Basically, not a character for noobs. XD
Well yes, that would work. But then again that might make him too strong instead of too weak. His blade is at least 6 if not 7 or 8 feet long. If he's too slow, he'll be Shulk, if he's fast like he is in canon, he'd be stronger than what Cloud is in Smash 4.

I'm not a game designer, so I can't say it's impossible for Seph not to work in Smash, but I'd think getting both the balance down and still remaining true to the character would be very tricky.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Well yes, that would work. But then again that might make him too strong instead of too weak. His blade is at least 6 if not 7 or 8 feet long. If he's too slow, he'll be Shulk, if he's fast like he is in canon, he'd be stronger than what Cloud is in Smash 4.

I'm not a game designer, so I can't say it's impossible for Seph not to work in Smash, but I'd think getting both the balance down and still remaining true to the character would be very tricky.
Getting the balance down is something I think Sakurai is capable of, but you're right in that it's a precarious balancing act.

plasmabeam

Smash Rookie
Yeah I support. There's a lot going for Seph and I think he'd be a really awesome addition that many wouldn't see coming at all.

-He's Cloud's enemy. Cloud is already in the game, and the game seems to have a heroes and villains theme going on a little bit, based on K Rool's trailer.
-He's been a main antagonist in FF7, the main antagonist of it's movie sequel (which has already been referenced by Cloud's costumes), a secondary antagonist/starting ally in the prequel, a playable fighter in all three FF fighting game spinoffs, an optional boss in two KH games and is overall one of the most popular villains in all of gaming.
-Sakurai has already referenced the Square crossover as "Final Fantasy VII" specifically during the initial direct, rather than FF as a whole. This suggests that this one game/game compendium may get more attention this time.
-Tons of unique potential. His disjoints can be reduced by simply using in-game FF7 Masamune rather than the elongated version in the side games.
-The lack of FF7 music and ATs is suspect, implying that additional FF7 content may be coming soon since it's part of the base game and not DLC now. Seph would be a sick playable fighter, and Aerith or Tifa could be an Assist.
-Japan actually really likes him and talks about him decently often. He scores pretty well in polls over there, in many cases better than characters we consider huge like Isaac.

I think he has a shot, and everyone just downplays him because of Geno, FF7 stigmas, and the belief that 3rd parties cant get two unique fighters.
Somebody suggested Tifa as a Little Mac Echo. I'd love that, though I doubt we'd get three FF7 characters.

Also, I think you're spot-on about Seph being a threat to make the roster. We haven't had a 3rd Party villain yet, and if there's anyone who can break through, it's this guy.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
While I have doubts that Sephy would be a fighter in Smash Ultimate! Given that the only way that other character's from other third party franchises represented in Smash Ultimate is having them done as an echo fighter! And i have no ****ing idea as to who Sephiroth would be an echo of!

At the very least! I think they would make Sephy an assist trophy or as a boss fight for this supposed story mode that is the spirits mode or some junk!

KMDP

Smash Legend
Somebody suggested Tifa as a Little Mac Echo.
I've been thinking about that myself; though it does run into the business of cross-series echoes. I have an alternative, but this is the Sephiroth thread. :laugh:

...Man, I really need to make that Tifa thread, geez.

Pristine

Smash Cadet
I am in full support of this. And like a fellow user said, SSBU is having a "heroes vs their respective villains" trend which was shown during the King K Rool reveal.

Also something to go with this, Vergeben had implied yesterday that he was quite certain that Square Enix was for sure going to get a new rep (characters like Geno and Sora mainly came to mind in the subreddit).

But as we know, Sora has as much a chance in getting into the game as Goku does, considering Disney's impenetrable copyright laws, fortunately for Sephiroth, he was not burdened by this.

Also to keep in mind is how heavily implied he was in smash 4, (so much so that any more would basically be confirmation for some sort of appearance) when Palutena walks on the flames at the end of Cloud's All Star Mode as homage to one of Sephiroth's iconic scenes.

And to settle the "how would Sephiroth's sword be balanced/not broken due to length" argument, Sakurai can easily just shrink it. If he could do so with something as gargantuan as Ridley, surely he can pull it off with his sword, which is pretty small in comparison to Ridley.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
His sword in Final Fantasy 7 itself is about the same length as Cloud's.

Sephiroth_Final_BossFFVII.png

Hard to tell from this image due to the perspective but his sword is about the same size as the Buster Sword in the original game, only slightly longer. The crazy long Masamune was done in primarily in the side media like Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia. Here's another example. I'm pretty sure this isn't a spoiler anymore.
images.jpeg

Note that Sephiroth is not totally upright in this photo, his legs are in a semi-kneeling position as he descends, so the sword is overall shorter than him. He's 6'1 in the game so Masamune is realistically a bit over 5 feet long.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Lets take a look at moveset potential:

-Godspeed as a Side B. Sephiroth does a Fox Illusion style flash through the enemy, striking them multiple times faster than they can see. He can charge it up, and the longer he does, the more it hits and does damage. It has no hitstun or knock back because it's so quick; you're just hurt and don't even realize it (balance reasons). A move he uses in KH, Dissidia and Crisis Core.
-Heaven's Gate as an Up B. He ascends quickly, then descends with his blade out. Like Climhazzard, but in one motion. He uses this move in Dissidia, and to kill Aerith in FF7. (Which is presumably where it gets it's name).
-Pale Horse as a Neutral B. A beam-based projectile from his final boss battle in FF7.
-Materia Shield as a Down B. He forms a shield of colored materia orbs around him that absorb an attack or two and double as weak projectiles. Taken from his boss fight in Crisis Core.

Octaslash/Black Materia/Super Nova as a Final Smash. Who else but Seph can have three good options for a FS? An 8 hit slash combo from Crisis Core, a casting of Meteor on part of the stage, or his signature over-the-top move from his final boss battle in FF7. Take your pick.

Some other cool options for standards and traits:
-levitates when running like Cloud.
-holds his sword in his familiar stance from his battles in Final Fantasy 7 (see above).
-his jab is the punch -> elbow drop -> spinning knee strike he uses in Advent Children to toy with Cloud.
-during his double jump, his black wing appears like Bayonetta's double jump.
-during his throws, he stabs the foe through the chest, then casually throws them off the Masamune, as he does to Cloud in FF7 and Advent Children.
-his up air is the quick sword combo he uses to wound Cloud near the end of their battle in Advent Children Complete.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
which version of one winged angel should be in if sephiroth was confirmed?

7NATOR

Smash Master
I Think Sephiroth is Cool, So I Support him. He'll help me get over Shadow not being playing in Smash

in anycase I Actually think there is more merit to Sephiroth getting in to Smash than some might think, but I'll post more on that later

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Oh yes, I definitely believe from Verge's SE list that Sephiroth is the most likely. SE may have been stingy on FF content for the base roster, but DLC is a different beast altogether where SE can profit even more. I'm all for the one winged angel!

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I mean, FFVII is coming to the Switch, so there's that as well. What better way to celebrate than bringing the big bad himself into the fray?

Not to mention, if they're so stingy, of course they'd lock music behind a paywall.

Last edited:

LoreAbidingCitizen

Smash Rookie
I would be thrilled if Sephiroth made it in as DLC! With Smash Ultimate being starved of Final Fantasy content (making Cloud stick out awkwardly) his inclusion could bring with it the content needed to fill in that void. And I mean, One Winged Angel. Enough said.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
This character is more likely than people think. Sora brings dreaded Disney involvement with him and Geno has no reason to be there in Square's eyes. Only real competition here is Erdrick or any other DQ character.

Sephiroth is a famous pop culture villain that would make gamers worldwide poop their undies while wings simultaneously grow on their dollar bills and fly away. Nintendo would benefit and Square would benefit.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'm surprised people like papagenos papagenos , Billybae10K Billybae10K haven't tackled the Square List leak by PolarPanda, which you can find at this page on Smashboards

https://smashboards.com/threads/gen...e-road-geno-dlc.446378/page-360#post-22765053

And this guy and his sources have been checked to have actual sources, and there is proof that Polarpanda does connect to Vergeben. Maybe me or someone else might write a TL;dr version of it

in any case, It would seem Sephiroth might be the most likely pick from the roster. One of the most iconic Villains in gaming, FF7 getting a port to the switch in 2019, Doesn't require licensing between 4-5 different parties like a DQ character or Crono would, would add the rest of the FF7 Content, Crazy cool moveset, and even some hints that may toward Sephiroth (comes from this topic:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77250534

)

Plus games like Dissida have shown it's possible to balance Sephiroth in a fighting game setting.

The arguments that have been placed against him is the composer being on leave since September and his sword being too big.

For the Composer argument, keep in mind that there have been rumors of a 2nd Square rep since EARLY August, meaning it's possible Sakurai and his team might have got in touch with the Composer if they needed him to work on the game before he went on leave. Even then, assuming that the musics are just rips (which they likely are) I assume you would just need his permission (and of course pay royalties) to use his music without him needing to work on the game

For the Sword too big argument

yMg4uo6.jpg

They could always use the Size of the Sword from the Original game, that way it's long but not half the length of Final Destination. Yeah i know nowadays his Sword his longer than this, but eh. Cloud's sword I Believe is shortened in Smash. As long as Sephiroth's Masmune is still long then i think it's all good. basically there are ways to play around the issue of Sephiroth's Sword length. yes

I'm betting on him being the Square rep personally, but i won't count the other Square rep characters out of the race either, that's all

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
They could always use the Size of the Sword from the Original game, that way it's long but not half the length of Final Destination. Yeah i know nowadays his Sword his longer than this, but eh. Cloud's sword I Believe is shortened in Smash.
Even if that's not the case with Cloud's sword, let's not forget the likes of Olimar and Ridley. *ahem*
Size is malleable in Smash.

Top Bottom