• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The One Winged Angel~ Sephiroth Social Thread

T∅XIC HYDRA

Smash Cadet
Sephiroth or Sora are first choices for Square reps. I think Sephiroth is far more likely than Sora because I believe Sora's rights are owned by Disney and they're never going to opt in for this, but I would be ecstatic for either.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Hey guys.
I wanted to give you an update on one thing.
Some of you may have been hanging out more on the S-E thread to keep up with news.
Indeed, Erdrick seems to be the most likely character of them all, but considering some info that we've gotten, we know that as much as the top leakers are leaning greatly towards Erdrick, the fact that Verge personally isn't putting his foot on ground for him is still something to consider. I'm not saying we should close our eyes to the likelyhood of DQ in the game, but I'm saying that there is a considerable chance that what we may expect may not have been the final result. From the Verge list, we know that it was in the end between the DQ rep, Sephiroth and Crono. I honestly think Crono was a last resort choice to please fans if nothing ended up working out, given his status of being a recognizable character that is from a dead series, which even if it returned, Crono wouldn't return.
So, in case the result isn't Erdrick, we might be getting Sephiroth in the end.
There has been speculation and rumors that I've heard, which xenother seemed to suggest that it was all BS, that S-E might be getting a second DLC character. While I think that it is unrealistic to expect this, if DQ or Seph was planned to be in the base game but was scrapped for DLC for rights and revenue reasons, it might make sense, but I wouldn't go far as to put faith in this theory. In the end, we still need to know what the character will be and nothing is set in stone.

There are only three possible scenarios for Sephiroth to show up. The first one is in the Nintendo Direct where they announce the release date of FF VII, IX and X on the Switch, much like Cloud was announced on a Direct with the announcement of a new FF title back in Smash 4. The other likely scenario is at E3. No other character in that list has the impact and recognition that Sephiroth has, so an E3 appearance would make a ton of sense. One final possibility is in a possible Direct where Nintendo announces FFVII Remake for the Switch, but it might be a bit far off for that.

So, before I go, I just want to wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! ^^

EDIT: Given that a ND is soon to be upon us, it may also be the one with the FF announcements and such. Given the recent Smash files leak, it seems our S-E character is very close to being revealed.
While Erdrick is certainly the most likely candidate, do not lose hope just yet. There are certain things still pointing to the possibility of him being in Smash Ultimate. Not only is S-E quite capable of deceiving people with their leakbaits, but the fact that we know so much yet not having people like Verge betting everything on him (only resorting to "he is definitelty the one I heard the most") make me hesitant with accepting this narrative upfront. Erdrick would be excellent in the game, so I don't say this out of sheer fanboyism. I just think we should wait, since there is still a real possibility of everybody getting bamboozled.

Last edited:

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
There are only two character reveals that would lead me to change my main - Neku from TTEWY or Sephiroth. Here to give my support!

It seems, however, that all indications point towards Erdrick. I wonder, though, if the BRAVE fighter discovered through data mining could be data for Sephiroth instead of Erdrick?

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
So, a nice little update. It seems that a Direct is soon to be upon us. And if you read my last post, you'll see that one of the possible scenarios for Sephiroth to be revealed would be a Direct which announces the release date of the FF titles on the Switch. Well, over the past few days, some of the info that would be expected of a direct has been released through Twitter, and among them are the release dates of FFX/X-2 and FFXII. Oddly enough, VII and IX are missing. It seems that the Direct that we've been waiting for might be coming very soon. Maybe to hype up they might show something more than these FF games. >:D

About the stat leak, we still shouldn't be taking that as granted as stats have changed between patches, and some of the interpretations of the current data are still iffy.

Whether it's Seph or Erdrick, the S-E rep might be showing up very soon.

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
Here's a question for those of you more knowledgable than me - is there s connection between Sephiroth and the word Brave? I faintly recall something about some connection between the two in FFVII, but my memory could be failing me.

BTW nice profile pic MajoraMan28 MajoraMan28

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Here's a question for those of you more knowledgable than me - is there s connection between Sephiroth and the word Brave? I faintly recall something about some connection between the two in FFVII, but my memory could be failing me.

Let's see, in-game he was praised as a "Brave" hero of SOLDIER. He's also in Brave Exvius.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

Thanks dude.
I'm using it as it is the only time I am certain he has a chance, so I might as well use it to support.

The connection he has to the word Brave is his history as SOLDIER.
Much like Darth Vader, Sephiroth was a SOLDIER with unmeasurable potential and prowess, and was seen as the very best before his fall to evil and insanity. He was the number 1, the most admired publically among the 1st class SOLDIERs. And his status was achieved by his mastery and was known for his bravery. Heck, you can even see this in the Nibelheim flashback Cloud had. At the very beginning he was the guy to face a freaking dragon with an underlevelled Cloud in the rain as his partner. And he singlehandedly dealed with the threat. Basically, no monster stopped him from doing his job.
That's the best example of his bravery I can think of now. But his history as the best SOLDIER that ever was (before Cloud's deeds in FFVII) had a lot to do with his bravery.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Both of those make sense, thanks for the clarification.
Also nice profile pic dude. XD
And you're welcome dude!
It seems the next direct might come in 2 weeks. Better prepare the hype.
Also, another thing to consider:
In 2 weeks, S-E's PR with KH will cease. While the hype for KHIII might not die for a while, the company's practices will change. This means they will finally focus on everything that is FFVII. This may be good for Sephiroth's chances.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Thanks, I figured it was about time to show my support too :)
The more the merrier!
And the more we can discuss, speculate, and such.
Given I'm extremely busy with college though, I won't be available today, but I wanted to hear from anyone here ideas for his complete moveset!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm pretty sure Brave isn't Sephiroth because of the stats:

1. He is shorter than Mario.

2. He is as heavy as Megaman.

3. He's a zoner.

That doesn't sound like Sephiroth at all, though I wish it was.

Last edited:

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman

3. He's a zoner.

Regarding the stats, we have seen stats change drastically before (Cloud in Smash 4, as I've heard). We also have no definitive proof that Brave is a zoner. I don't think we'll really know what the stats are telling us until they announce who Brave is and/or we observe stat changes from discovery to release for a few DLC characters.

I was thinking about his moveset and would be very interested to see what Sakurai would to do balance his sword range. One answer is to make it shorter and that's a definite possibility, but I wonder if that helps keep the identity of the character in place? My thoughts were that Sephiroth might play similar to the Belmonts. Instead of sweeping strikes (imagine how broken Ike's nair, uair, fair, up-tilt, and f-smash would be if his sword were twice the length), I imagine Sephiroth doing a lot of stabbing moves and a lot of horizontal slashes. I could imagine him using magic for his specials.

We all know what his down air would be ;), but I imagine all of his aerials (except nair) would be a directional stab. I could see his f-tilt being a single stab forward or a horizontal swing (like Ike's), his d-tilt being a horizontal swing across the ground, and his u-tilt being a contained slash (similar to Cloud's). I could also see his f-smash being a series of 2 or 3 stabs, his d-smash being similar to most swordies (two slashes in either direction), and his u-smash being a stab upward.

I think his jab could be a 3 move combo starting with a punch or a blow with the hilt of his sword.

Actually, given the length of his sword, it would not surprise me if he played similar to a zoner.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

3. He's a zoner.

Again, the stats aren't final. They changed already for PP, and they can change as well now. Also, who knows. Maybe this is simply a placeholder.
Going by each point:
1. Height isn't the most consistent way of telling the say of a character, since it varies with scaling and the model's stance.
2. He is heavier than Cloud. That actually makes a lot of sense.
3. Uhh. His sword is long. He could work as a zoner.

Also, him having no rapid jab, no wall jumps also makes sense. Being a bit floaty is coherent to his original incarnation as well.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Soon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-12MOUQ3SI&index=14&list=PLEFE6BE2FC00044DF (this is THE version of the battle theme that should be in Smash as well as the Remake... this medley is top tier)

Smash.jpg

EDIT: And so, we finally have the Direct tomorrow, Feb 13th. Nearly two years after we saw anything on the Remake, two weeks after FFVII's anniversary.
Shinji Hashimoto, the man who is closely associated to FF (VII recently with him announcing the remaster to PS4, and VIII and IX in general as producer, and the head of PR over the last few years for the series), has liked the Tweet of the Nintendo Direct.
KHIII PR is dying and the Remake is around the corner. Things are looking nicely to fit a Sephiroth reveal. Let's hope!!

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
So....about the direct today guys. FFIX comes out today but FFVII doesn't??? What's more, with us apparently getting more about Joker before April, there's high speculation of a Smash direct. The same month that FFVII finally comes to the Switch.......hm. If you do the math there......

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So....about the direct today guys. FFIX comes out today but FFVII doesn't??? What's more, with us apparently getting more about Joker before April, there's high speculation of a Smash direct. The same month that FFVII finally comes to the Switch.......hm. If you do the math there......
I only want this to be true so there'd be fanart of :ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultlarry::ultroy2::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig::ultganondorf::ultkrool::ultpiranha::ultridley::ultdarksamus:and:ultwolf:all welcoming and congratulating Sephiroth being the first 3rd Party villain to joining the Smash roster with a cake and banner both saying "To our first 3rd party villain!".

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Don't play with my emotions ;_;
The direct specifically announced that the 3.0 update will come with modes and new content. And they are holding FFVII for a few days before April, the timeslot for that update. So yes, I guess this might play with our narrative quite good.
Smug.jpg

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
For a while I've just had a feeling that Sephiroth is the SE character. Like a gut thing. Same as I had with Joker. I think DQ took a blow. Leakers were the primary force behind the DQ confidence, and they got the direct all kinds of wrong. Some have also pointed out that the DQ showcase would have been the time to confirm Erdrick. The timing of FFVII helps Sephiroth a lot. I think he's the one at this point.

Mezzama

Smash Rookie
You guys are giving me waay too much hope. A Sephiroth announcement would give me a glorious type of heart attack, but this skull goop keeps shocking me with, "Wishful thinking! Wishful thinking! Disappointment ahead!" Will you guys maintain hope till the end so long as a Square-Enix character doesn't get revealed? After all, wasn't it said that the Fighters Pass characters wouldn't conclude until early 2020 – another FFVII is on its slow way...

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I am going to admit: Even I'm starting to find the idea of Sephiroth being the SQ rep enticing and I am saying this as someone whose mostly neutral towards FF7. He'd just be as WTF-worthy/hype-inducing as Cloud (because you know how people never get tired of Cloud and Sephiroth duking it out) and it would say something when a DLC character is a villain since most of the time, DLC characters equates to the protagonists (especially if it's a new franchise). Plus the image of cutesy/light-hearted Nintendo characters fighting someone as vile and sinister like Sephiroth and vice-versa is too good to pass up lol.

Not to mention if they add in Spirits (like I hope with Joker), and Square-Enix's stingyness means they'd only allow their stuff if they were paid royalties: Sephiroth being a DLC would allow them to squeeze in the FF7 content base Ultimate should have gotten. Plus having a character from a series already in the game, while still being third-party AND having the huge hype factor (especially with VII's remake in people's minds) would be easier on Nintendo's end than trying to get Sora whose co-owned by Disney (You think Square is protective and stingy about their IPs? Ha! Disney makes them look like a freaking charity!) While I still want others (like 2B, though her SC6 appearance may have hampered those ideas) Sephiroth feels like the 2nd-best thing.

Yeah guess you can count me in as someone who is pro-Sephiroth for Smash XD.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
You guys are giving me waay too much hope. A Sephiroth announcement would give me a glorious type of heart attack, but this skull goop keeps shocking me with, "Wishful thinking! Wishful thinking! Disappointment ahead!" Will you guys maintain hope till the end so long as a Square-Enix character doesn't get revealed? After all, wasn't it said that the Fighters Pass characters wouldn't conclude until early 2020 – another FFVII is on its slow way...
The first Fighters Pass is slated to end in Feb 2020. Could be earlier. Nobody knows.
I'm keeping my expectations as realistic as possible. But I'll believe that Sephiboi is the Square-Enix rep until the end.
He is way more likely than people are giving credit for.
Also, there's always the possibility of a second Fighters Pass.

I am going to admit: Even I'm starting to find the idea of Sephiroth being the SQ rep enticing and I am saying this as someone whose mostly neutral towards FF7. He'd just be as WTF-worthy/hype-inducing as Cloud (because you know how people never get tired of Cloud and Sephiroth duking it out) and it would say something when a DLC character is a villain since most of the time, DLC characters equates to the protagonists (especially if it's a new franchise). Plus the image of cutesy/light-hearted Nintendo characters fighting someone as vile and sinister like Sephiroth and vice-versa is too good to pass up lol.

Not to mention if they add in Spirits (like I hope with Joker), and Square-Enix's stingyness means they'd only allow their stuff if they were paid royalties: Sephiroth being a DLC would allow them to squeeze in the FF7 content base Ultimate should have gotten. Plus having a character from a series already in the game, while still being third-party AND having the huge hype factor (especially with VII's remake in people's minds) would be easier on Nintendo's end than trying to get Sora whose co-owned by Disney (You think Square is protective and stingy about their IPs? Ha! Disney makes them look like a freaking charity!) While I still want others (like 2B, though her SC6 appearance may have hampered those ideas) Sephiroth feels like the 2nd-best thing.

Yeah guess you can count me in as someone who is pro-Sephiroth for Smash XD.
I believe that the Seph DLC would be great for expanding the FFVII representation in Smash. It would be awesome to get Spirits, OWA, and himself being able to fight alongside the classic Nintendo villains.
Also, gotta have his Safer Sephiroth form as a boss in World of Light. :o

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Plus the image of cutesy/light-hearted Nintendo characters fighting someone as vile and sinister like Sephiroth and vice-versa is too good to pass up lol.
I mean to be fair we do have that with :ultganondorf:and:ultridley:but hey the more, the merrier. I think Sephiroth more then earns his spot in the roster being he's one of the most iconic video game villains up there with Bowser and Eggman that comes to people's minds when it comes to villains in video games.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Bowser can also be menacing as heck. Like, actual high levels of sinister.
SMG has proven this to be the case.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Bowser can also be menacing as heck
SMG has proven this to be the case.
True and now that you mention it. My boi:ultkrool:too because to try and steal bananas so an entire species could starve to death is pretty low even for villain standards. Plus despite his goofy exterior King K. Rool can be very frightening as shown in DK64 having tried to blow up DK Isle especially if you take the game over sequence into account.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
If Seph gets in, what do you think he will bring with him to the game?
Like, specific stages, spirits and stuff

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
True and now that you mention it. My boi:ultkrool:too because to try and steal bananas so an entire species could starve to death is pretty low even for villain standards. Plus despite his goofy exterior King K. Rool can be very frightening as shown in DK64 having tried to blow up DK Isle especially if you take the game over sequence into account.
Not to mention how he outright tortures DK in DK Country 2.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
If Seph gets in, what do you think he will bring with him to the game?
Like, specific stages, spirits and stuff
I'm wondering what stage he could get. Since Fighter Pass characters have their own stage: That means if Sephiroth does get in, he'd come with a stage of his own instead of sharing Midgar with Cloud. But what would that be?

For spirits: Well if Sephiroth is a way for FF7 content to be added, then they could add in Cloud's party, perhaps Sephiroth's clones/whatver they were from the movie (Kadaj, Loz and the other guy), and perhaps Jenova herself.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Another piece of fanart I'd want to see happen if Sephiroth gets in is another one of :ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultlarry::ultroy2::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig::ultganondorf::ultkrool::ultpiranha::ultridley::ultdarksamus:and:ultwolf: with Sephiroth at a pub raising their mugs (Chocolate milk for Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings) all celebrating their returns and inclusions to Ultimate while other villains (Black Knight, Black Shadow, Porky Minch, Skull Kid, etc.) are all watching sadly outside through a window on the verge of tears having not made the cut.

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
The first Fighters Pass is slated to end in Feb 2020. Could be earlier. Nobody knows.
I'm keeping my expectations as realistic as possible. But I'll believe that Sephiboi is the Square-Enix rep until the end.
He is way more likely than people are giving credit for.

I believe that the Seph DLC would be great for expanding the FFVII representation in Smash. It would be awesome to get Spirits, OWA, and himself being able to fight alongside the classic Nintendo villains.
I'm keeping my hype minimized and expectations low as well (and not just for Sephy, but other characters and Joker's/P5's representation as well), as like I said: It's only recently that I'm starting to think Sephiroth could be a thing but I could just be over-assuming things. For all I know, a DQ rep is still on the horizon especially with the DQ stuff during the Direct. Then there's still the chance for ugh...Sora... T_T

And like Michael said: Sephiroth would break grounds by being the first 3rd-party villain (fitting his iconic status), even if he would be one from a series already in Smash.

That said, if he does get it: What would you want for his Classic Mode? All I can think of is that Cloud will there someway, but nothing else beyond that XD.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That said, if he does get it: What would you want for his Classic Mode? All I can think of is that Cloud will there someway, but nothing else beyond that XD.
How about fighting all the villains? Pretty fitting if you ask me.

Round 1::ultbowser:
Round 2::ultridley:&:ultdarksamus:
Round 3::ultkrool:
Round 4::ultwolf:
Round 5::ultbowserjr:,:ultlarry:,:ultmorton:,:ultwendy:,:ultiggy:,:ultroy2:,:ultlemmy:&:ultludwig:
Round 6::ultganondorf:
Bonus Stage
Final: Dracula

Last edited:

Mezzama

Smash Rookie
Safer Sephiroth would be so perfect in World of Light actually...The second season Fighters Pass if ever confirmed would reinforce the reasonableness of hope significantly. Still, trying not to let expectations run too riotously.

As far as other additions with his inclusion go: really only One-Winged Angel matters much to me. Wait, I forgot moogle spirit: not really relevant but I want.

Heartless Angel is the ability I'd most love to see incorporated into his gameplay that likely won't. It was a staple in Kindom Hearts (perhaps less so FFVII itself but still noteworthy) and has always been a favorite of mine. How it would work in Smash without being the most broken or useless move ever - my ideas there end.

Then there's still the chance for ugh...Sora... T_T
Many would enjoy Sora's inclusion: for my part, there are more interesting options - better though Sora for me than sword and board Goku.

Joker is a thing so no complaining should be heard from me regardless of future DLC characters - Joker though would be emptied from my memory were Sephiroth to actually make it.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
My issue with Sora is that if you put him in, Nintendo will have Disney micro-managing their asses. It's like I said: As bad as Square is with their stingyness and protectiveness of their IPs, Disney is 10x worse.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The thing that makes me think Sephiroth the most is the lack of FF content. Like I know square is stingy, but not even one winged angel? It's like, one of the most iconic video game songs. I feel like it seems unreasonable, even for square, to have that little content. But if Sephiroth is dlc? Then it makes perfect sense. The whole square situation just seems a lot more understandable if Sephiroth is dlc.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I'm wondering what stage he could get. Since Fighter Pass characters have their own stage: That means if Sephiroth does get in, he'd come with a stage of his own instead of sharing Midgar with Cloud. But what would that be?

For spirits: Well if Sephiroth is a way for FF7 content to be added, then they could add in Cloud's party, perhaps Sephiroth's clones/whatver they were from the movie (Kadaj, Loz and the other guy), and perhaps Jenova herself.
I can see Junon, Nibelheim and the Planet's Core as stages.
Nice choices for spirits (except the AC OCs... I hate that movie XD)
I also think the Turks would be cool for a spirit.

How about fighting all the villains? Pretty fitting if you ask me.

Round 1::ultbowser:
Round 2::ultridley:&:ultdarksamus:
Round 3::ultkrool:
Round 4::ultwolf:
Round 5::ultbowserjr:,:ultlarry:,:ultmorton:,:ultwendy:,:ultiggy:,:ultroy2:,:ultlemmy:&:ultludwig:
Round 6::ultganondorf:
Bonus Stage
Final: Dracula
Wow, that is actually a perfect Classic Mode for him. The number of characters, stages and final boss make too much sense.
Put Cloud accompanying Dracula to make it hilarious (get it?... bc it's Cloud and Vincent? Eh?... Ok, I'll see myself out).

Regarding moveset, his grab should be him using his sword to stab people and rise them up to in the air like he did in FFVII. The startup would be lagy af to compensate for the range. I think Meteor would be his side special, his black wing springing out would be a cool UP, the long white beams would be a cool neutral special, and his down special... I'm still thinking. Supernova would be his final smash easily.
The rest of the moveset is katana slashes that fit his style and balanced.

Mezzama

Smash Rookie
Pushing for it too hard I know: but heartless angel "Inflicts damage equal to the target's current HP minus 1 on all opponents. " - it could be a chargeable down special like Cloud's limit break and just change it to "Current damage minus 1." I'd adore that but would probably be a bit broken.

Being a zoner would be most likely/fitting - simply too many magic moves which if excluded would be a travesty. In this scenario I'm fanboiing up something like this: Side Special as either shadow flare, or (hilariously) pale horse; Down special as above because don't use logic on me; Up Special as meteor; give him either high jumps or multiple jumps with his wing (I'd prefer multiple); make his normals long range slashes with ass vertical range and recovery or (bleh) 'lag.' Oh, and we all know dair.

I could try at a non-zoner scenario but just like the above too much to even try lol.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I think that Sakurai would go full force on his FFVII interpretation.
I don't believe KH stuff would show up

Top Bottom