• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The One Who Gets in Our Way, Mumkhar/Metal Face Slices Through The Competition!

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
IMG_5711.PNG

{Piece of art above originally from: https://viper-serperior2013.deviantart.com/art/Mumkhar-4-Smash-717562342}
IMG_5713.JPG
IMG_3104.JPG

Welcome to the Mumkhar/Metal Face Support Thread!
Mumkhar, or as he is best known as: Metal Face, is one of the major villains in the first half of the original Xenoblade Chronicles game for the Nintendo Wii, and is one of the most rememorable villains the game introduces throughout its story. (He did become a stage hazard after all over other characters such as Zanza or Gold Face/Egil) Mumkhar first appears in the game as a party member in a prologue to the game where you control Dunban in the Battle of Sword Valley, though after the battle seems to be taking a turn for the worse, Mumkhar ditches his former comerades to save his own life, planning on coming back to the battlefield after it was over to take the Monado, however this doesn't go well for him as he runs into some Mechon that were hiding and is presumably killed by them. Next we see Mumkhar he is actually in Mechon armor, going by the name "Metal Face" where he is attacking Colony 9 with an army of Mechon, in this raid he kills Fiora and shows off to Shulk that the Monado (in its current state at the time) couldn't harm him, after doing these actions and destroying the colony, he and his Mechon leave. Metal Face is next seen outside Colony 6 with an ambush with an intent on killing Shulk and co and taking the Monado, but not before insulting and taunting them about how much he enjoyed Fiora's screams of pain, though before he could kill Shulk and friends, a Telethia swoops down and weakens Metal Face's armor, allowing Shulk to cut off one of his arms, forcing the Faced Mechon to flee. Later in the story we see Metal Face at Prison Island, where the Mechon kills one of Zanza's vessels in a attempt to stop him from upgrading Shulk's Monado to the Monado II, in the chaos Metal Face killed Melia's father, who was the Emporer of her people for attacking him with a powerful ether attack, however said vessel mentioned earlier didn't die as quickly as expected so Shulk got his upgrade and a battle commences which ends with Shulk cutting off one of his arms and trying to go for a blow, but Face Nemesis (Fiora) takes the blow for him and the two Mechon escape, during these events Dunban saw that Metal Face's attacks were similar to Mumkhar's, but shrugged the idea off since Mumkhar was dead, or so he thought. Next time we see Mumkhar it's at Valak Mountain's Great Glacier, where Face Nemesis (Fiora) appears to the group and tries talking to them, but during their conversation Metal Face attacks his Faced Mechon "ally" and threatens Shulk that he will kill her if he doesn't hand over the Monado to him, Shulk agrees to his offer, only asking to let her be, after which Mumkhar exits Metal Face and reveals to the party that he's the same Mumkhar that supposedly died during the Battle of Sword Valley and collects the legendary sword, but after some taunting he quickly looses the sword as Melia caught him off guard with an ether attack and a battle ensues, after which Dunban and Mumkhar get into a intense verbal and physical with Dunban, which ends with Dunban injuring him, but before he's able to put down the finishing blow Gold Face appears and shops the fight, collecting Face Nemesis and fleeing, which causes Mumkhar to get back into Metal Face and follow them in their retreat. For the last time we see Metal Face alive he's at the Heavy Madhine Depot in Sword Valley where he challenges the party to a fight, alongside him he has eight mass-produced faces with him, after the fight Dunban once again tries to kill Mumkhar and Metal Face but is stopped by Shulk, who tells Dunban Homs are inside Fiora, and if he would kill Fiora, this stops Dunban from killing his ex-commerade, but not from cutting off both of Metal Face's arms when Mumkhar attacks him from behind where Dunban tells Shulk he does not agree with him but is convinced by his words, which he follows up by telling Mumkhar he has no time to play, which enrages Mumkhar as he gets ready to try to kill the party with a grand shot, which causes Shulk to get a vision of a spear falling from the fortress and into Metal Face, killing Mumkhar, however Shulk can't stop this from happening and the vision he foresaw happened, Mumkhar gets pinned to the now unstable battle field he was fighting in, still alive and screaming as the platform falls into the abyss of the great sea, afterwards Dunban takes a moment to lament in his former comerade's foolishness. After this you can find Metal Face's remains on the Fallen Arm, where you can get a heart to heart with Dunban and Melia, which Dunban states although he hates Mumkhar, he was an old friend and cannot forget him.

As Gaur Plains is already in the game and is technically Shulk's stage, even though the Faced Mechon makes a stage hazard appearance in the Wii U version of Smash Four, I believe Mumkhar's stage would be: Heavy Machine Depot, the location he is last fought and is killed at would be a circular stage like Palutena's Temple's omega stage variant witha a wide inner circle and a thinner outer circle with falling debris from the Fortress being a hazard, if enough damage is dealt to the inner circle it would crumble and fall into the ocean/blast zone below, forcing players to fight closer to the side blast zones, or try to spike their opponents into the giant blast zone in the middle of the stage, of course the inner circle will eventually reform and look like nothing happened, background elements would include mass produced Faced mechons and the Galahad Fortress itself, along with the rest of the surrounding area.

Standard Attack: Mumkhar would swipe his claws at his opponents.

Up-tilt: Mumkhar would do an upwards slash with his claws.

Forward-tilt: Mumkhar would use his art known as Hell Dive Claw against his opponents, a quick three-hit attack that ends with more knockback than most of his other standard attacks.

Down-tilt: Mumkhar would do a sweep kick on his opponent, having a possibility to trip them.

Aerial standard: Mumkhar would take out a miniature version of the spear he used to kill Zanza's vessel on Prison Island and spin it around before putting it away once the move is done.

Up aerial: Mumkhar would do an over head swipe with his claws.

Side aerial: Mumkhar would once again take out a miniature version of the spear he used to kill Zanza's vessel and thrust it either behind or infront of himself.

Down aerial: Mumkhar would do a downwards dive while spinning rapidly, knocking anyone out of the way on his decent down.

Dash attack: Mumkhar would grab his opponents by their shoulder and throw them to the ground behind him, this having a high chance to cause them to trip.

Standard special: Mumkhar would use his art known as Super Spin, which would have a chance of tripping his opponents.

Side special: Mumkhar would use his art known as Fiery Pain IV, lighting his claws on fire and would start swinging them infront of himself from both directions of his arms and send a horizontal projectile of fire in the direction he was facing(similar in shape of Cloud's neutral be).

Down special: Mumkhar would use his art known as Massacre Lotus, in his original game would this inflict death if the player or their party members were toppled, but for in Smash, this move would do a lot of damage and knockback instead if an opponent is in a tripped, or toppled state. (which is why Mumkhar has multiple moves that can trip people).

Up special: Mumkhar would spin like in his down aerial but would be sending himself in any direction the player is holding, soundwaves would also be sent out at the end of this attack in the direction Mumkhar was going, blasting his opponents in that direction if they're caught in it (I forget the specific art name for this, but I believe it is Eagle Slice or Eagle Triple Combo).

Up Smash: Mumkhar would use his art known as Custom Dead Way to do a underhand swipe upwards while also sending out a short distance saw-blade like energy projectile to deal even more damage to those not caught in the initial swipe.

Side Smash: Mumkhar would use his art known as Very Last Resort to do two powerful swipes infront of him which may cause poison damage and an poison effect on his opponent.

Down Smash: Mumkhar would use his art known as Hell Spin Venom, which may cause a poison damage and effect to his opponent if he's able to make contact with his opponent as his spins his claws around him.

Grab: Mumkhar would grab his opponents by their neck/body like he does Shulk in the Valak Mountains.

Pummel: Mumkhar would simply swipe his claws against his opponent's neck/body.

Up throw: Mumkhar would throw his opponents into the air and swipe at them with his claws.

Side throw: Mumkhar would lazily chuck his opponents behind him like how he throws the mech Fiora is in once he "kills" her at the beginning of the game.

Down throw: Mumkhar would use his art known as Hell Talon Venom IV to slam his opponents into the ground with his claws while letting poison from said claws infect his opponents.

Floor attack: Mumkhar would swipe his claws at his opponent as he got back up.

Edge attack: Mumkhar would swipe his claws at his opponent's feet as he tried getting back onto the stage.

Ladder attack: Mumkhar would use his art called Killing Claw to swipe downwards onto his opponents.

Final Smash: Grand Shot Custom Finale: Mumkhar would summon Metal Face and hop into his Mechon Armor, and go into the back of the stage and fire Grand Shots at his opponents, getting hit by one of those will cause major damage and knockback, Mumkhar/Metal Face would then a Custom Grand Shot that would do even more damage and knockback, essentially being a one hit KO if you directly get hit by it, otherwise you'd be paralyzed and sent flying and a decent percentage added onto your percentage.

Costume 1: This would be Mumkhar's first outfit and would be the basis for his first three alternate costumes, the only thing changing in the alts being the color of the suit.

IMG_5713.JPG

Costume 2: His default costume but with the color scheme of Jade Face.

IMG_5717.JPG
IMG_5718.PNG

Costume 3: His default costume but with the color scheme of Face Nemesis.

IMG_5719.JPG
IMG_5720.PNG

Costume 4: His default costume but with the color scheme of Yaldabaoth.

IMG_5721.JPG
IMG_5722.PNG

Costume 5: His homs form is the basis for the rest of his alternate costumes, his clothes taking on the color scheme of the clothes the pilots of the other notable faced Mechon wore while inside them or when they were homs.

IMG_5716.JPG

Costume 6: His fifth alternate costume burnwith the color scheme of Gadolt.

IMG_5723.PNG

Costume 7: His fifth alternate costume but with the color scheme of Fiora.

IMG_5724.PNG

Costume 8: His fifth alternate costume but with the color scheme of Egil.

IMG_5725.PNG

Taunts:

1. Mumkhar would grind his claws together.

2. Mumkhar would tilt his head in a way to intimidate his opponent like he did when he stared down at Shulk while in his Mechon armor.

3. Mumkhar would cross his arms and laugh at his opponents.

Victory Poses:

1. Mumkhar would be inside of Metal Face and casually move his claws up and down, like when he first revealed to Shulk he could talk.

2. Mumkhar would walk around back and forth in a relaxed mood while making some remark now he's better than his opponents.

3. Mumkhar would be inside of Metal Face which would be in its flight transformation and turn into its normal mode as it landed on the screen.

Clapping:

Mumkhar would be reluctantly clapping for his opponents with a sour look on his face.

Bonus:

When in a fight against Shulk and if Mumkhar wins said fight, the Mechanized Homs would shout some insults and remarks at the Monado boy.

PROS
  1. Another villain character (which Smash needs more of).
  2. Another Xenoblade representative.
  3. Potential new and unique play style.
CONS
  1. Somewhat irrelevant, last appearance in his own game series was 2015 in a remake of Xenoblade Chronicles for the New Nintendo 3DS.
  2. Not as popular as other villains from other series and not as popular as more recent characters in his series (Ex: King K Rool, Marx, Malos, Rex, Pyra/Mythra).
  3. Most likely has to most of the time be in a less recognizable and iconic form/Most players might not recognize him when he's not in his Mechon armor

Supporters
S SEGAGameBoy - L Loz18-Echo

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I wasn't able to think of any taunts or victory screen poses, so I might possibly need some ideas suggested to me for those while I try to brainstorm what they could be as well.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I added in some taunts and victory poses, though they sound rather basic in my opinion as I couldn't think of anything better than them. I also added in now how he'd act if he lost a match and a bonus dialogue feature he could have if he won against Shulk in a match.

I also fixed various grammar issues, though those are kind of expected when you're typing an entire concept on an IPad and staying up past 5:00 a.m. to finish said concept.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Added a support image made by a friend of mine from discord, just a note though: I have no idea how to shrink it down so it fits in signatures, especially since I'm stuck using an IPad.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Support images fixed, and shrunk, if they need to be any smaller ya'll have permission to shrink them as much as you need.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I just want to say one thing.

I can really tell Tim Watson had a blast recording his lines for Metal Face in Smash 4, you can really see it in the delivery that he gave in the game as a boss.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I just want to say one thing.

I can really tell Tim Watson had a blast recording his lines for Metal Face in Smash 4, you can really see it in the delivery that he gave in the game as a boss.
Definitely, though as if almost anyone would tell you if they've played Xenoblade, Mumkhar/Metal Face is most people's favorite characters to listen to due to how fun he is as a villain and how much energy Tim Watson gives to him and the game in general. So it was only natural the same translated to Smash 4. I suppose a downside would be he'd have less lines if he were to be playable, but then again its canonical faces can be controlled with their pilot's body motions, so... basically the Kinect but it's 100% working all the time so I guess that's a work around, but at the same time I feel like they could replace Metal Face on Guar Plains with Xord/Bronze Face, another early game face unit that fits that location a bit since he's yet to be seen.

While I do hope he's a fighter, I won't be all that upset if he's just a stage hazard again, since we'll be able to see and hear Tim Watson have a SMASHING time voicing Metal Face.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
So, it suddenly clicked in my head last night Sakurai has stated at one point he's working on a human/mech character, now there is a chance it could be Elma from Xenoblade X instead, but I think the evidence, at the moment anyways points towards Mumkhar/Metal Face since he technically falls into that same category of a human/mech character.

Why I say it points towards him more so than Elma is currently based on the fact, even though we've seen Gaur Plains a multitude of times already in screenshots and trailers for Smash Ultimate not in a single one of them do we ever see Mumkhar/Metal Face make a appearance, this purposeful lack of a appearance from him makes me think Sakurai is actually making him a playable character, there could be a multitude of reasons why he picked him besides currently being the third most reappearing character in the series (which before Xenoblade 2 he and Fiora were tied for being the most reoccurring characters), though a funny thought of mine if he does get added in, Sakurai's reasoning for it is because he didn't want people to make more "X character is too big for Smash" jokes after he added Ridley in, but uh... obviously that's probably not ever going to be the reasoning for his playable appearance in a smash game, which would most likely actually be due to how much he appears, he's a villain, and he's usually in people's favorite character lists for Xenoblade, so basically popularity.

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Could Metal Face be scaled down like Ridley you think?
Possibly, there is a Project M mod that does exactly that (here's a link to it: https://youtu.be/6RNm5Zs7MUo ), but like how I stated an easy work around the size issue if they can't size him down well like Ridley is just using the person who pilots Metal Face, Mumkhar, for the entire moveset using arts he uses in and outside of Metal Face and having Metal Face take part in the final smash. So, sure you may not be playing as the giant mech suit, but you're still playing as the same character with the same personality and abilities nonetheless... besides Grand Shot, which is why it's the final smash and has him piloting Metal Face during it.

But hey if they can get him working like Ridley too I'm fine with it, just might be weird imagining Mumkhar piloting it and permantley being the size of a fighter who has had a poison mushroom rather than the alternative of the mech and him staying their canon sizes.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Possibly, there is a Project M mod that does exactly that (here's a link to it: https://youtu.be/6RNm5Zs7MUo ), but like how I stated an easy work around the size issue if they can't size him down well like Ridley is just using the person who pilots Metal Face, Mumkhar, for the entire moveset using arts he uses in and outside of Metal Face and having Metal Face take part in the final smash. So, sure you may not be playing as the giant mech suit, but you're still playing as the same character with the same personality and abilities nonetheless... besides Grand Shot, which is why it's the final smash and has him piloting Metal Face during it.

But hey if they can get him working like Ridley too I'm fine with it, just might be weird imagining Mumkhar piloting it and permantley being the size of a fighter who has had a poison mushroom rather than the alternative of the mech and him staying their canon sizes.
He did look a bit weird sized down, but then again so did Ridley mods.

Tbh I can’t say what style of him I would want. I mean metal face already has had attack animation made in the past, don’t know if you could copy and paste the code with out issues and rework his model for time.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
He's too big

Only kidding of course but having a character that uses claws would actually be really cool. Maybe just having him out of metal face could be the solution.

He has my support

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
He would still use claws but laser claws, you could also use his Homs look as an alt.

And with his homs look as an alt you could redo the opening of xenoblade in smash where he screws off and leaves his friends.

Have Mumkhar, Shulk, And Ike, ganged up by Some evil form of life, Ike Say he fights for his friends, Shulk gets motivated and Mumkhar runs off

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
He's too big

Only kidding of course but having a character that uses claws would actually be really cool. Maybe just having him out of metal face could be the solution.

He has my support
Lol

Thanks for supporting by the way, any and all support is appreciated! But yeah, him being outside of Metal Face would probably be the solution to that problem, I just don't know if anyone outside of the people who've played or watched a full let's play of Xenoblade Chronicles 1 knows about his human appearance. So I fear most people would just be like "Whomst???" But then again if I recall that was the majority reaction to Shulk when he got announced for Smash, could be wrong on that since that was years ago.

He'd probably be unique in the sense he's the only character that uses claws that aren't natural, though I do believe Wolf uses the claws on his hands for some of his moves. Besides Wolf, he'd mostly be unique in the sense he utilizes his claws different from Wolf, that and they're weapons and not natural body formations, and he has some poisonous and burn effects to them as well with some of his techniques.

As smashingDoug somewhat stated, his mechanized Homs costumes could have him use those sweet looking laser claws he has when you fight him outside of Metak Face and with his normal Homs costumes he could utilize the claws he uses in the prologue of the game when you have the Party of Dunban, Dickson, and Mumkhar.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
He did look a bit weird sized down, but then again so did Ridley mods.

Tbh I can’t say what style of him I would want. I mean metal face already has had attack animation made in the past, don’t know if you could copy and paste the code with out issues and rework his model for time.
Fair, especially since mods obviously won't have the same amount of detail and what not compared to a whole development team.

I think they'd probably go with his more human looking appearances instead of Metal Face itself though, based on the fact it'd save a lot of time trying to accurately size down his proportions and what not in a way that makes it look decent and not weird, which is why at first Sakurai was hesitant on Ridley in comparison when they could just whip up a human model really quick and make adjustments when needed and just reuse Metal Face's current model (which of course would get texture and quality tweaks like everyone else did) for a final smash, either way I don't think they would able to copy and paste animations to a model of that or a shrunken down Metal Face, since as we've seen with Smash 4 Animation swapping, even if a character practically has the same build as another you get some... interesting results to say the least.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Yeah I could see the development team being as smart as they are wiping up a good Human style model.

But I think playing as metal face would be cool. But lasers claws :/ tough

Damn Mumkhar you’re too cool in both forms

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Yeah I could see the development team being as smart as they are wiping up a good Human style model.

But I think playing as metal face would be cool. But lasers claws :/ tough

Damn Mumkhar you’re too cool in both forms
It would, I mean afterall he is a giant mech who can slice through people like a hot knife through butter... that can also fly and shoot giant laser balls.

Dang it Mumkhar, why is it so hard picking the appearance I'd personally want to see you in?

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Also, I updated the title of the thread to spruce things up a bit more... I was tempted though to add "like a hot knife through butter!" after competition to be honest though, just sounded a tad too long though.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Anyone got an idea how his character trailer would go though? After all that is a big part of newcomers for Smash these days.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
He got potentially deconfirmed by being a boss again... though there is the work around that face mechon pilots can be outside of their mechon armor and said armor can still fight and move with the pilot's body movements... but its unlikely.

Top Bottom