• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The One Chop Technique?

Toukans

Smash Rookie
EDIT : LOOKS LIKE THIS TECHNIQUE HAS BEEN PATCHED OUT. RIP SLAP ONE CHOP.

Recently found this video where Villager can use one chop to chop a tree
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpCtOf9pwAY

Edit: You FF and apparently there's like a 2 frame window in which you have to axe right before you land.

EDIT2: I think we may have found the explanation! Thanks to @ AnchorTea AnchorTea

Sorry that I didn't post yesterday. I accidently feel asleep. XD

Anyway, I am very sure that I have the answer to this one-chop tech. @ Darklink401 Darklink401 @zeezee @ Indigo Jeans Indigo Jeans @Sonsa @ Toukans Toukans @ Kohak Kohak @ Player-1 Player-1 @ SoniCraft SoniCraft @Antonykun Hold yer butts, because this might be mind-blowing.

The Sweetspot

You might think that the sweetspot is the very center of the tree, or this tech is only based on chance. When the sweetspot is actually here:

After doing the tech successfully. You should be standing here:

I can confirm this by showing the next pictures.

I can also confirm that this tech is not a glitch. The evidence for this is the clean slice you can see from the trunk of the tree. Think about it. If it was a glitch, why would it have a new tree model?

The Method I Used
Here's what I did.

I went towards the tree with a fast-paced walk. (Not a run or a sprint) And then chopped it at an estimated spot of where the sweetspot is.

Why this method can work is because you can actually be at a pace where you can clearly see where you are chopping, and if you know where the sweetspot is. You can actually tell if you are too far, or too close if you miss the sweetspot.

I've literally successfully done the tech two times in a row with this method sometimes.

The Conclusion
*sigh* I hate to break it to you guys, but it is impossible to perform this tech consistently.

While the sweetspot looks obvious, and the method I described can make it easier to perform the tech...

The sweetspot is literally frame perfect. Which means you have to be at the perfect spot in order for the one-chop to work. And I do mean perfect.

Technically, this isn't impossible, but it is so precise that it's barely possible to do consistently.

I say that this tech should be used as a risk-taking move. I think the more clever Villager mains can figure out strategies around this tech being used as a risky move.

Well, that's the answer ladies and gentlemen. I like to thank the 2,594 trees that was used as test subjects.
Been trying to re-create this but not getting any success yet. Any ideas as to why this happens? Anyone successful with this yet? How2Do?

Last edited:

Player-1

Smash Legend
Most likely the way the axe's hitbox(es) aligned with the tree's hurtbox(es) made it possible to cut it one go. Nice find.

Krugy

Smash Cadet
Most likely the way the axe's hitbox(es) aligned with the tree's hurtbox(es) made it possible to cut it one go. Nice find.
If not this then I was thinking that she somehow got two hits out of it. One while in air and one when landing, during the same animation.

I still haven't been able to recreate it, but I did find some neat tricks. You can jump above and right in the middle of the tree, fast fall and axe and it will sort of spring villager forward farther than you can normally when short hop fast falling forward

Last edited:

Toukans

Smash Rookie
You FF and apparently there's like a 2 frame window in which you have to axe right before you land.
Was trying it out with a friend and he managed to do it once.

12r

Smash Rookie
I did this in an online match. I FFed a forward momentum jump and chopped it near the top and got a single chop knockdown on the tree. I have not been able to recreate it.

Edit: Just did it in training. Chop definitely hits near the top with a slight forward momentum during a fastfall.

Edit2: Did it again while traveling upwards and forwards from a short hop. I think the forwards momentum might be the most important part. *I may have SHFF'ed the down B

Last edited:

Frozn~

Smash Apprentice
This is an amazing technique for villager. I always wanted to see more trees in competitive play, not simply as an edgeguard. It'll be real difficult to counter, though.

Toukans

Smash Rookie
I did this in an online match. I FFed a forward momentum jump and chopped it near the top and got a single chop knockdown on the tree. I have not been able to recreate it.

Edit: Just did it in training. Chop definitely hits near the top with a slight forward momentum during a fastfall.

Edit2: Did it again while traveling upwards and forwards from a short hop. I think the forwards momentum might be the most important part. *I may have SHFF'ed the down B
At what part is the "top"?

Edit : Managed to pull it off twice but nothing consistent. Still trying to grasp the timing.

Last edited:

12r

Smash Rookie
I really think it has to do with either your momentum towards the tree or your position relevant to the tree. I don't think the vertical position matters.

12r

Smash Rookie
Okay, confirmed. You have to be in the dead center of the tree to get the single chop. The most effective way to this will be either SH out of a run, or to fast fall into it.

Tylerblake478

Smash Rookie
I find it easier to do when I turn around mid air, with somewhat of a side b reversal. It's very inconsistent for me, either the execution is insanely tight or it is a inconsistent glitch.

12r

Smash Rookie
The timing is pixel perfect. Sooooooo yeah. This isn't really a viable tech.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I don't know how to recreate it but I did it without jumping. I think it was right before I was pushed out the other side from walking into it so I was "inside" the tree

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Super-difficult to pull-off, there's definitely this pixel-perfect sweetspot in that tree for you to chop in. I got only twice now to do it...

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Super-difficult to pull-off, there's definitely this pixel-perfect sweetspot in that tree for you to chop in. I got only twice now to do it...
Yeah, I've only done it like 5 times or something and am not sure what I did differently to make it happen. It might be pixel perfect but if there is comes a time someone finds a reliable enough of a setup for it then things would get interesting. it'd make for some pretty sweet mix ups and mind games. especially on the ledge

12r

Smash Rookie
Sounds 100% viable to me.
I may get proven wrong, but the fact the tree naturally pushes you out of the center makes this tech very inconsistent. It basically means you have to be pixel perfect as well as something close to frame perfect.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I've gotten it like 3 times in the past like 20 matches I've played with people by accident. Most of the time it was with an accidental b reverse axe chop.

I wouldn't say its completely unviable, because it opens up such a tremendous mixup option for Villager. Like I can't begin to describe how important I feel this is. In theory though, of course. Because I mean it IS really hard to pull off, but still like I said, being able to vary our tree game between two chops and instant chopping really adds a layer of depth to the meta and it makes Villager even riskier to approach.

I especially see promise with Super Timber. Since the trunk is a little larger, it might be slightly easier to pull off, and if so it really eases the inherent risk in chopping down Super Timber caused by the extreme lagginess of the axe. I don't think I need to explain any further for you all to see why this could be such a great thing.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
looks like she's short hopping the axe in the air on the way down, then, since it hit the tree, you don't get the ending lag. by starting in the air, she lets her landing cancel out of the rest of the axe and into another axe right away. very nice...

12r

Smash Rookie
looks like she's short hopping the axe in the air on the way down, then, since it hit the tree, you don't get the ending lag. by starting in the air, she lets her landing cancel out of the rest of the axe and into another axe right away. very nice...
That is not what is happening. <<

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
We have to figure out a way to be more consistent with this tech. It's too good to let it slip by!

Regulus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Count_Boognish
3DS FC
3351-4181-6573
So a long ass time ago I remember somehow cutting Villager's tree down in one chop. I chalked it up to my imagination, but I just recreated it in a match from Smashladder. I'll take a video in a few, but has anyone else experienced this?

As Rakurai pointed out, there is already a thread on this: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-one-chop-technique.372020/

This really is one of the more important Villager glitches, but I think one thread is enough to contain discussion surrounding it! You should totally go check out the thread I linked and see if you know anything not already posted there and say so cause that would be really awesome.

Hong

The Strongest
@ Regulus Regulus I merged your thread into this one, since as mentioned it's already been discussed.

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
If Villager can get this consistent, it's going to be incredibly important and a big game-changer. Otherwise... Well, it's been said! It'll be inconsistent!

unsung-unit2291

Smash Cadet
( my god I need to make a username that isn't a decade old)

Hey everyone, Had success cutting a tree down in one slash. Did it online and in training.

Posting because I never saw it on here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN04DIS9dgI&feature=youtu.be

Got to do it a few times; only tested for about five minutes.

-I tried almost entirely attacking the left side, but I could never get it to cut on the right.
-I was able to do it with wave bouncing and not wavebouncing the axe
-Regardless of training mode or a match, I was not able to do this after the first two trees of the match.
-I didn't notice any correlation between what type of tree it was and the success I had with it.

^I'm sure most of this stipulations don't actually exist due to limited testing, but I was super excited to find this and had to show you everyone.

Apologize in advance if this is old news.

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
This has actually been known since the 3DS version.

We really have no idea how it works, though. I've tried to imitate it, but I've had no luck getting it down.
Still, if you have any ideas on how we can start doing it consistently or even semi-consistently, that would be awesome.

Last edited:

unsung-unit2291

Smash Cadet
The most consistent success I had with it resembled something like

Plant first tree on the left side of an Omega
Water the tree about 2/3rd of the max distance,
Jump slightly to the left, wavebounce right, hit the top left corner of the tree.

I've done it on the first two trees, never again.

Do we have any idea on if the freshness of the axe is relevant?

My guess is that the hurtbox for the tree is either I or T shaped- If the hitbox of the axe leaves the tree or hit the otherside of the hurt box, and then hits the same side again, it registers it as two hits. The logic is flawed because you don't see two hitboxes, but maybe it just looks for the overlap, sort of like a phantom hit.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
I've been able to get the one chop done a couple times without even trying to do it, and I'm starting to put some things together.

I think how close you are to the tree is what matters the most when chopping it, to the point where the tree will start pushing you back out. Chopping as soon as it sprouts or as it's sprouting seem to be the best time to position yourself like this. I also never had to wavebounce or anything for it to activate. Just a well-timed, well-positioned axe. Gonna try testing a little more at some point.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I'm gonna try this online wish me luck.

1st edit: WOW that guy was easy...

2nd edit: Ok i'm switching to training mode.

3rd edit: Lol i'm giving up. I tried slowing down the video. I noticed that she was kinda "inside" the tree and she was dropping quickly. Also she chopped just a little above the sliced spot.

Last edited:

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Thing is, nobody has it down yet. The only times I've been able to get it are when I'm not trying to.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Well the person who made the video apparently does

You have to be so close to the tree, that you almost chop it with the axe's handle.

...wait

Does this mean it could be possible to hit someone twice with the same axe stroke? X-X

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Ok so watched the original video again. Then I saw a comment about another guy who had a video of him doing it, so I watched that one. The cool thing about his was he didn't even jump. He just slid across the ground like you can with the watering can and chopped it at the right time. So I think this means that with some practice, this shouldn't be too hard to get consistently.

For the Villager meta!

:4villager:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
See, this is what I'm getting at.

You have to chop the tree with the HILT of the axe, pretty much.

Pretty sure if wavedashing was in this game, and you could wavedash into the tree, the chop it, with good timing, you could cut it down.

For now, we have watering can charge.

WCDC (Watering Can Dash Chop) ftw!

Last edited:
Top Bottom