• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~The Olimar Matchup Thread~Review: R.O.B. or someone~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excellence

Smash Champion
Ness vs Olimar is 60:40 in our advantage. You can't grab a good Ness but if you super camp him and never try to face him head on you'll win every time. Ness cannot catch Olimar with any of his options if you're good at running.

When you have to play aerial characters just don't pick Norfair. Sometimes, you'll be able to shield approaches that come at you from below, then DSmash them but it's still not somewhere you want to pick. Up Aerial and Up Tilt are good for racking up damage on this stage. This place is has a low ceiling for KOing with vertical KO moves and you can take advantage of the lava wall and closeness to the blast zone to KO people with your throws. I try to stay on either the top platform or the middle, but never the bottom unless I'm running away or w/e. All in all, I guess this stage is good for taking advantage of OOS options, but when those are good choices try and stay away from here.

asob4

Smash Champion
it really is 60-40 at worst
me, edrees, and sky all agree upon this number
mine and sky's games are soooo close and we've both beaten each other
we're 2-3 with him winning more. took me a few sets to learn the match up

Excellence

Smash Champion
Maybe it's just me then. I've been playing the best Peach in whatever state and I can't win that ****. Up Tilt does NOT get Peach off of you, Purple Pikmin are scarce, and this Peach won't get within the parameters of my NAir. Give me your run through of this ****, if you wouldn't mind.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Peach... I feel that even with nair OoS against floating dairs, Peach still has several options to approach with (that can't be naired OoS very easily) such as NON-floated nair->jabs, spaced fairs->jabs, floating over Oli and using fast falled dair/nair->jab/dsmash/grab, and more. She's still got stuff that a lot of Peachs don't use it doesn't work against most characters.

Cook

Smash Master
My doubles partner just switched to Peach so I've been getting a lot of Peach practice lately. Can't promise that she plays Peach the way others do, but I can tell you what works against her anyway.

I hardly ever use n-air against Peach, even though I use it a lot against most other characters; Peach just doesn't let you in to do it. Even when I do get a n-air it doesn't always lead to up-smash like it does with other characters. Sometimes she n-airs between my n-air and my up-smash, sometimes my n-air knocks her out of the way of my up-smash.

I instead do a lot of running away. Throw pikmin, try to bait her so you can get in f-airs; this is one matchup where I f-air a LOT. You just have to figure out when and what angle f-air will get her at when she's doing whatever moves; usually you want to full hop it.

If she ever b-airs your shield and lands that is a free grab, but you probably won't see her do that much. Can't do much out of grab. D-throw>f-air at low percentages, sometimes I can surprise her by running under and pivotgrabbing again, or if she tries to attack you after the f-air you may be able to get another grab. Up-air juggles pretty well, but her d-air usually seems to go through it if she fastfalls.

When you're above her don't airdodge her up-air or she will just get you with n-air. Instead, whistle the up-air then n-air her.

Learn when her f-air has lag. If she does it right she can go right to jab, so you can't grab immediately, but if she does her full jab combo to your shield you can grab her. If she tries to jab>grab you you can often interrupt her with your own jab.

Spaced f-smashes also punish her missed f-airs if you can bait her. Walk away>she misses f-air>you f-smash. Other smashes are gonna be hard to land, I usually end up killing with f-air.

I don't up-tilt her d-air much because it's too easy for her to bait and punish. I either just run away before she can d-air or I shield one or two then roll away; she can b-air you if you roll behind her, but that's better than being d-aired over and over.

Sorry if anything I said doesn't apply to really good Peaches or whatever, I'm just letting you know what I do against Peaches I've played so far.

TL;DR: Run away a lot and bait her/f-air. Throw pikminz!

Fino

Smash Master

How to beat peach - Cliffsnotes version

I instead do a lot of running away. Throw pikmin, try to bait her so you can get in f-airs; this is one matchup where I f-air a LOT. You just have to figure out when and what angle f-air will get her at when she's doing whatever moves; usually you want to full hop it.
QFT

~Fino

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it's just me then. I've been playing the best Peach in whatever state and I can't win that ****. Up Tilt does NOT get Peach off of you, Purple Pikmin are scarce, and this Peach won't get within the parameters of my NAir. Give me your run through of this ****, if you wouldn't mind.
Peach is quite a formidable force to be reckoned with, but I think that the info that DanGr/Fino/asc gave will help you with facing her.

Up to date, I've only faced two Peach mains that could beat me and they would probably be Rickerdy and some other person(sorry if I can't remember you T_T). I really want to face D. Peach >=D

Excellence

Smash Champion
All the staff they said was obvious. All the stuff they said was knowledge already known. Tell me something I don't know. This isn't a scrub Peach.

I've played Dark.Pch, he's as good as he claims to be. Pun intended.

Cook

Smash Master
All the staff they said was obvious. All the stuff they said was knowledge already known. Tell me something I don't know. This isn't a scrub Peach.

Well, if you already know what to do then there's not much anyone can tell you except to play better. Be more patient, do empty short hops to bait, don't be obvious with your f-airs. If you aren't pulling purples don't be afraid to throw some of your pikmin away so that you can pluck more. I find that I end up with purples through natural selection, because she kills everything else. Once you get three or so this match is MUCH easier. I find that in this matchup I switch between extremes of aggression and defense, playing super campy until I get an opening, then throwing out tons of f-airs (spacing is ALWAYS very important, though). I dunno, THE most important things are to be very patient because she has priority over you and to be very careful with your spacing.

Fino

Smash Master

Didn't you say you're tired of olimar because it's too easy to win? I'm sure you're vast knowledge and skill can pull something out. Otherwise, employing these strategies has proven effective for everyone else.... you can't get frustrated and rush peach, be very patient and look for your openings.

Though I've found red pikmin fsmashes beat dpch when he pulls out bomb-omb :$ (one of the funniest 2 seconds of brawl I've ever experienced).

Also... what was the pun O.o??

~Fino

Excellence

Smash Champion

Didn't you say you're tired of olimar because it's too easy to win? I'm sure you're vast knowledge and skill can pull something out. Otherwise, employing these strategies has proven effective for everyone else.... you can't get frustrated and rush peach, be very patient and look for your openings.

Though I've found red pikmin fsmashes beat dpch when he pulls out bomb-omb :$ (one of the funniest 2 seconds of brawl I've ever experienced).

Also... what was the pun O.o??

~Fino
No, I did not say I was tired of Olimar because it's too easy to win with Olimar. I said I'm tired of Olimar because he has always been a very shallow character in terms of what he can do. Vast amounts of knowledge and good fingers can't make up what someone lacks in overall experience. I'm pretty sure most people don't play "The Best Peach in [Insert State Here]" very often. A few of you do, and those opinions and advice I do take, but most of you don't. I don't get frustrated and rush Peach. I just can't get Peach off of you once she starts because she has too many options and always has a way to put Olimar into another bad spot. That's about the only problem I have with opponents... ever: What to do when you're always going to be in a bad spot and you need to get them off of you. Olimar's jab, up tilt, and jump button can only do so much.

Don't think that because someone has 50 posts, or I don't think someone is good that I don't always try out what they're saying. I always listen to everyone advice, I always have and I probably always will.

The pun was that Dark.Pch openly admits that he sucks and he's a terrible Peach. That is until you actually agree with him then he gets moody and emotional because you're not showering him with compliments to pull him out of his perminate slump.

Edit: I'd also like to add that Wario fits my style of play a lot more. There is a lot more baiting, mindgames, and on the spot improvisation that I can do with him.

asob4

Smash Champion
full hop fairs do really good vs peach
also, it's RAISING nairs, not falling nairs.
it's meant to build damage and as a gtfo move
fair is probably gonna be your main killer, just throw a lot of pikmin to build damage til the decayed fair can kill.
usmash if you're lucky. same with others
fsmash is pretty good too if they mess up, but that's more player not character

Excellence

Smash Champion
also, it's RAISING nairs, not falling nairs.
it's meant to build damage and as a gtfo move
fair is probably gonna be your main killer, just throw a lot of pikmin to build damage til the decayed fair can kill.
Thanks a bunch.

Nicole

Smash Champion

I am ASC's doubles partner. Now I know I'm a scrub and not the best Peach in the MW by any means...though I might be the best Peach in MO just by being the ONLY Peach in MO. :laugh: But uh, let's compare...

Peach just doesn't let you in to do it. Even when I do get a n-air it doesn't always lead to up-smash like it does with other characters. Sometimes she n-airs between my n-air and my up-smash, sometimes my n-air knocks her out of the way of my up-smash.
Seems like they said the same thing. Maybe that was just a coincidence.

this is one matchup where I f-air a LOT. You just have to figure out when and what angle f-air will get her at when she's doing whatever moves; usually you want to full hop it.
Hmm....

Spaced f-smashes also punish her missed f-airs if you can bait her. Walk away>she misses f-air>you f-smash. Other smashes are gonna be hard to land, I usually end up killing with f-air.
um...

I find that in this matchup I switch between extremes of aggression and defense, playing super campy until I get an opening, then throwing out tons of f-airs (spacing is ALWAYS very important, though).
just throw a lot of pikmin to build damage til the decayed fair can kill.
You don't have to play the best Peach in the state or be a "known" Olimar player to be good and knowledgeable. That sort of elitist attitude really grinds my gears. I'm not Sky, and ASC isn't BlackWaltz. That doesn't mean that we don't know the matchup and that our input is meaningless and not worth anyone's time. ASC said basically the exact same thing that asob said, and you told ASC you already knew everything and that I (his Peach practice) was a scrub, though you thanked asob for his input (again, we're talking about the asob that said the same things that ASC did, in case you were confused). I can only assume that this is because asob plays against Sky` and not Ironboots (me).

If you ask for help, you might not ALWAYS get the top players telling you what to do.

:psycho:DISCLAIMER:psycho: If your "thanks a bunch" to asob was sarcasm, then disregard everything I wrote. I am a dumb girl and I can't be expected to tell serious business from sarcasm on the internetz. Also, being a girl, I'm emotional and probably crazy, so I basically HAD to stick up for my doubles partner here...no one ever gives him any credit.

Cook

Smash Master
She basically got tired of losing to me with G&W and switched to Peach. ;)

Plus Peach's playstyle suits her better anyway.

Nicole

Smash Champion

That ****s up my team name then ;-;

~Fino
heh, what was your team name going to be?

"we are the BETTER olimar and GW combo and will totally beat ASC's olimar and that girl he teams with's GW?"

because that team name would be epic. and i approve.

gantrain05

Smash Master
wait? do i hear nicole switching to a peach main? ZOMG YES! i couldn't be more proud of you than i am right now, and that means alot, cuz i was previously pretty proud.

Zori

Smash Champion
Guys, stop getting so off topic you should have more post with substance and about the subject like I always do.

Fino

Smash Master
heh, what was your team name going to be?

"we are the BETTER olimar and GW combo and will totally beat ASC's olimar and that girl he teams with's GW?"

because that team name would be epic. and i approve.
**** you're so close woman :D

Guys, stop getting so off topic you should have more post with substance and about the subject like I always do.
On topic: I'm down for talking about either R.O.B. or marth next :p

~Fino

Rocann

Smash Lord
Wario v Olimar is just a lot of people spinning through the air at each other. We don't really have anything on Wario's dair or anything except nair/utilt. If he just stays in the air dairing and out of grab range all we can do is nair. He practically can't beat nair except with bite, and we have other obvious stuff to beat that. You won't be getting any grabs against a good, patient wario. LONG annoying match.

ming528

Smash Rookie
Olimar vs Zelda

Can anyone give me any advice on how to fight a zelda who's really good with din's fire and smashes?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Can anyone give me any advice on how to fight a zelda who's really good with din's fire and smashes?
You've got to learn how to camp her first. I've got a small guide that's linked in the "look in this thread before posting" thread that I think is titled somewhere along the lines of "Outcamping your opponents". I went into depth about outcamping Zelda because I've played literally over 3k matches against her. Read it and practice it.

After you learn to do that be VERY defensive and just shield through everything. She literally has NO approaches, so you can just spam fsmashes and grabs until she jumps and then just shieldgrab everything.

Good luck.:p

VietGeek

Smash Hero
You know...this is the only board I've never gone to. o_O

But...err, if any of you would so kindly help, the Toon Link boards are rediscussing the Olimar match-up. We never actually discussed alongside you guys...so it's extremely one-sided.

Plus it was done in July 2008 so it's extremely outdated nonethless.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=180920

^ Thread there.

Thanks in advance to any kind helpers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom