• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Olimar and Alph Social thread!

Do you think Alph should become a clone?

• Keep him as an Alt.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Give him the Lucina and Dark Pit treatmen (plus Rock Pikmin).

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

Welcome to the Social thread of Olimar and Alph, captains hailing from the small but loved Pikmin franchise!​

Feel Free to post here!

Last edited by a moderator:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I don't care for Alph at all tbh. If he does get a solo slot I think he should get Rock and Pink pikmin for himself, and no Whites or Purples. Pinks will be thrown as fast as whites, and carry opponents upward slightly disabling them until they mash out. Rocks will be slightly less powerful than Purples, but have better shield breaking ability.

I really want Olimar to get that up b from PM.

I'd also like it if you held side b, you send all the Pikmin at once

rockerpikmin

Smash Apprentice
id like alph to be a proper character this time
I don't care for Alph at all tbh. If he does get a solo slot I think he should get Rock and Pink pikmin for himself, and no Whites or Purples. Pinks will be thrown as fast as whites, and carry opponents upward slightly disabling them until they mash out. Rocks will be slightly less powerful than Purples, but have better shield breaking ability.

I really want Olimar to get that up b from PM.

I'd also like it if you held side b, you send all the Pikmin at once
Olimar should use his jetpack from Hey! Pikmin, and Koppai Leaders should use Winged Pikmin!

I've created a support thread for Charlie, and I'd appreciate your support!
https://smashboards.com/threads/koppais-captain-takes-command-the-charlie-for-smash-thread.453541/

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I was reading that apparently the reason there was only three Pikmin last game as opposed to six Pikmin in Brawl was the Nintendo 3DS' limitation of processing power so if Olimar/Alph most likely return, hopefully they'll be able to regain their six Pikmin. I kinda liked that and it'd be cool to have Rock Pikmin make it in as an option so you have Red, Blue, Yellow, White, Purple, and Rock, with the Winged Pikmin returning as a recovery.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
I want to see Rock Pikmin implemented either Alph stays as an alt costume or if Alph becomes an echo fighter. Rock Pikmin can fill a role that the other pikmin don't have and that's being shield breakers. That's the point of the rock pikmin in Pikmin 3, to break objects that the other pikmin can't.

They'd probably share attributes of the purple pikmin like not being able to cling on to enemies and being heavy while not sharing the strength as the purple pikmin. Purple Pikmin carry 10 units and deal 20 damage while Rock Pikmin only carry 1 and deal 15 in the games so them being weaker than the purples are canon.

D

Deleted member

Not much into Pikmin. But always enjoyed Olimar's play style with the Pikmin. Might pick him and Alph up again.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I'm really really happy they have not changed Olimar's kit in any significant way. I feel his Smash 4 iteration was the best and didn't need to be changed or adjusted. They did adjust his throw though and I don't know if it's for better or worse. My guess is that the number of Pikmin in the line effect the throw rather then the Pikmin type. This leaves a lot of questions though. Do the Pikmin in the line-up effect the throw? Maybe the Pikmin don't effect the throw regardless of amount and the throw is way more consistent? If the throws are no longer effected by individual Pikmin types then are blues going to get any other adjustments to compensate for the loss of powerful throws? If someone attacks the Pikmin mid grab do they all die? Is the grab range consistent now? There is just so many questions surrounding this one change. As stated before my guess is that they are trying to streamline Olimar's throws to be less dependent on the individual Pikmin and more so on a group. I imagine that tossing Pikmin with side special to lower your Pikmin count before grabbing the opponent so that way the Pikmin is taking on extra damage along side a weaker throw to allow for an easier follow up out of it. Or you could save up all three of your Pikmin for a kill throw perhaps. Could add a new dynamic to managing your Pikmin instead of it just being about getting the right type for the right situation. That being said this is all just speculation.

D

Deleted member

Olimar just is such a likable and fun character. His combos and attacks with the Pikmin make him great and effective if used right. Looking forward to picking back up him and Alph.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Looking forward to testing him out in this game. Gonna be interesting to see how Pikmin mechanics have changed if at all.

Shrumbus

Smash Rookie
Greetings, Smashboards.

I'm not usually one to post on forums, but a rather alarming situation has come to my attention recently. You see, I've watched every trailer for every character in smash ultimate, and Olimar appears to lacking one of his most defining features:

His ridiculous bulging cartoon eyes are gone.

His eyes didn't bulge when he tried a botched pikmin pluck, they didn't bulge when he fell out of the hocotate ship, they didn't even bulge when Giga Bowser punched him into the screen. As an adamant Olimar main, this is extremely concerning.

Don't get me wrong, a cracked helmet is a nice visual flair, but not at the expense of losing Olimar's "Oh, ****" face. (Which, unlike helmet damage, is canon to the Pikmin franchise.)

I can only hope that this is a remnant of Smash 5's unfinished state, and that Olimar's stupid face will be present at the game's launch.

#FREEOLIMARSEYES

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Greetings, Smashboards.

I'm not usually one to post on forums, but a rather alarming situation has come to my attention recently. You see, I've watched every trailer for every character in smash ultimate, and Olimar appears to lacking one of his most defining features:

His ridiculous bulging cartoon eyes are gone.

His eyes didn't bulge when he tried a botched pikmin pluck, they didn't bulge when he fell out of the hocotate ship, they didn't even bulge when Giga Bowser punched him into the screen. As an adamant Olimar main, this is extremely concerning.

Don't get me wrong, a cracked helmet is a nice visual flair, but not at the expense of losing Olimar's "Oh, ****" face. (Which, unlike helmet damage, is canon to the Pikmin franchise.)

I can only hope that this is a remnant of Smash 5's unfinished state, and that Olimar's stupid face will be present at the game's launch.

#FREEOLIMARSEYES
Agreed. Sakurai needs to go play all the Pikmin games now so he can learn some things about Olimar

Shrumbus

Smash Rookie
Also, for anyone that cares, Olimar's Nair seems to be exactly the same, but his Fair swings the pikmin in a larger arc; it's particularly noticeable above his head. The color of his Fair slash also seems to now correspond to the pikmin color he is swinging, as when he swings a purple pikmin the effect is now purple. Neat.

You can see these in the plateau tower reveal and the Bowser trailer, respectively. I figured I'd point these out since they aren't in Olimar's trailer, or on the wiki.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Also, for anyone that cares, Olimar's Nair seems to be exactly the same, but his Fair swings the pikmin in a larger arc; it's particularly noticeable above his head. The color of his Fair slash also seems to now correspond to the pikmin color he is swinging, as when he swings a purple pikmin the effect is now purple. Neat.

You can see these in the plateau tower reveal and the Bowser trailer, respectively. I figured I'd point these out since they aren't in Olimar's trailer, or on the wiki.
Do you have a link to the plateau video? I saw the bowser one and it looks pretty fast speed wise however there's so much clutter there it's hard to tell. From my review of his video his side-b, fsmash, and dsmash all seem to have the same frame data for start up and endlag. Grab seems a couple frames slower, but I can't tell if that's because of the distance of mario compared to Olimar.

Shrumbus

Smash Rookie
Do you have a link to the plateau video? I saw the bowser one and it looks pretty fast speed wise however there's so much clutter there it's hard to tell. From my review of his video his side-b, fsmash, and dsmash all seem to have the same frame data for start up and endlag. Grab seems a couple frames slower, but I can't tell if that's because of the distance of mario compared to Olimar.
I thought that Olimar's grab looked slightly slower, but I wasn't sure if I was just losing my mind or not. I was honestly expecting Fsmash's startup to be nerfed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCeEylbl3Oc&t=1199s

It happens at about 19:55, right after Olimar jumps away from Mewtwo. You essentially have to slow the video to .25 speed though. He immediately drops into Bowser, making it even harder to see anything.

There's so much happening on screen that I didn't even notice Olimar was there during the reveal.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I thought that Olimar's grab looked slightly slower, but I wasn't sure if I was just losing my mind or not. I was honestly expecting Fsmash's startup to be nerfed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCeEylbl3Oc&t=1199s

It happens at about 19:55, right after Olimar jumps away from Mewtwo. You essentially have to slow the video to .25 speed though. He immediately drops into Bowser, making it even harder to see anything.

There's so much happening on screen that I didn't even notice Olimar was there during the reveal.
Just watched it, it's kinda blurry and cramped so hard to tell but from my super novice testing it seems to still come out frame 7. I don't anticipate much frame data changes for Olimar. A lot of his stuff was the same from Brawl to Smash 4.

Shrumbus

Smash Rookie
Just watched it, it's kinda blurry and cramped so hard to tell but from my super novice testing it seems to still come out frame 7. I don't anticipate much frame data changes for Olimar. A lot of his stuff was the same from Brawl to Smash 4.
Tru dat.
Speaking of Brawl, does anyone else sort of . . . "miss" Pikmin chain? I know it's just Stockholm syndrome, but even after hundreds of hours of smash 4 Olimar, I still use his Up B expecting a tether sometimes. Maybe it's just the way it looks.

R.I.P. Pikmin Noodle

There were a few more SSBU trailers with Olimar in them, (like the Pichu trailer) but I don't think there was anything else worth pointing out. Lemme know if you see anything.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Any feelings I have towards that move have been happily shoved aside for his current up-b. So much more useful not only for recovery, but for combo extension and escape options.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
Perhaps pikmin chain could be reimplemented when using grab in the air like other character's with tethers. There's no reason we can't have both the chain and winged pikmin in one moveset.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Ehh I find it unlikely they'd give him a zair. Especially considering how Pikmin properties work it'd be objectively worse due to the priority.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
So I just figured I'd pop in here with a realisation I had that is both awfully teasing to you guys (for the low probability of it happening) but also tantalising.

Inkling has a new type of special, Shield+B. It's safe to say not everybody will get one, and in fact most won't since it's attached to a 'unique' mechanic for Inkling: restoring the resource used in their specials and smash attacks.

Sound similar to a certain character's Neutral+B?

Seriously, Inklings literally have Pluck for a brand new separate special from their other ones. Very low chances this occurs for Olimar since it wasn't shown off but if Olimar is maybe one of the ones much farther down the pipeline then...maybe? Olimar could recieve an entirely new special too (return of Pikmin Chain as a command grap perhaps lol).

Anyway, just a thing that occured to me.

D

Deleted member

Olimar is going to be a blast to play as he, and the Pikmin Rock.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
Im not the most skilled Olimar player, but does anyone else hate the inclusion of Down+B?

Given how quick you can pluck new pikmin, and you can change the pikmin order with any other move (Like toss, aerials, etc...) I find it really redundant. I get it, its part of the game and everything, but I never find myself using it. I wish it was another move that actually attacked. Like maybe Olimar sprays his pikmin with red potion to power his pikmin up temporarily (Like Wii Fit Trainer's Deep Breathing??)

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
His down-b is almost necessary. It's used to call Pikmin back when they've been thrown out, or to keep them with you when they desync. That's not even counting the super armor it gives which can allow Olimar to land safely when he otherwise couldn't. Definitely one of his most crucial moves.

GoombaSSB

Smash Rookie
His down-b is almost necessary. It's used to call Pikmin back when they've been thrown out, or to keep them with you when they desync. That's not even counting the super armor it gives which can allow Olimar to land safely when he otherwise couldn't. Definitely one of his most crucial moves.
I agree with this, to me it's basically one of the things that keeps the character as neat as he is.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That new remix of the first game's title theme really captures the wondrous, yet tense feel of said game.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Im not the most skilled Olimar player, but does anyone else hate the inclusion of Down+B?

Given how quick you can pluck new pikmin, and you can change the pikmin order with any other move (Like toss, aerials, etc...) I find it really redundant. I get it, its part of the game and everything, but I never find myself using it. I wish it was another move that actually attacked. Like maybe Olimar sprays his pikmin with red potion to power his pikmin up temporarily (Like Wii Fit Trainer's Deep Breathing??)
I brought it up above, but I think absolutely should have been possible to get a new damaging special by putting Pluck onto 'shield+b' since it's identical in function to Inkling's tank refill.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
In Smash 4 Olimar's pluck serves an extra purpose in addition to plucking. It auto cancels on every frame when landing and is the only real way Olimar has to shift his momentum in the air by doing a b-reverse pluck which can help him land. So I personally am a fan of the pluck being the way it is. It's super fast and low commitment being able to be canceled on frame 9 with the Pikmin generated on frame 1, and has no penalty for landing with it while providing some needed mobility.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
In Smash 4 Olimar's pluck serves an extra purpose in addition to plucking. It auto cancels on every frame when landing and is the only real way Olimar has to shift his momentum in the air by doing a b-reverse pluck which can help him land. So I personally am a fan of the pluck being the way it is. It's super fast and low commitment being able to be canceled on frame 9 with the Pikmin generated on frame 1, and has no penalty for landing with it while providing some needed mobility.
But...that's implying that any other special couldn't have that...asside from being quick low commitment but hell those properties could be given to DownB couldn't they?

I'll admit that I'm pretty casual when it comes to Olimar so I don't have the in depth knowledge but those aren't things that are necessarily inherent to pluck, it's just in reference to how it worked in the last game.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
But...that's implying that any other special couldn't have that...asside from being quick low commitment but hell those properties could be given to DownB couldn't they?

I'll admit that I'm pretty casual when it comes to Olimar so I don't have the in depth knowledge but those aren't things that are necessarily inherent to pluck, it's just in reference to how it worked in the last game.
In Brawl you could b-reverse (maybe wavebounce I don't remember) whistle to shift your momentum. I believe that was changed as a balancing decision considering being able to change your aerial momentum and generate super armor is kinda crazy strong. Also Whistle doesn't auto cancel, meaning it has to finish it's full duration of 21 frames.

I personally am not behind other's idea for new moves. I feel his current toolkit is amazing and blends well while having no unnecessary moves. That's not something a lot of character's can say.

ABalloon

Smash Cadet
NNID
pizzzzzzzaaaaaaa
Alph needs to be a echo! We could finally bring our boi some recognition, If he got his own echo. PLUS MORE OLIMAR ALTS #BLACKOLIMARHYPPE?

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
With my previous comment, I think Brittany would actually work better for a Louie alternate skin, as her body is more similar to his.

Top Bottom