• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ohio Circuit Championship: Delta Upsilon I - December 5th (POOLS POSTED!)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

-The Winner of the Signature contest is TODAY!

Congratulations!

Runner up is Kassandra, and 3rd is Y.b.M.

This is it! The Ohio Circuit Championship! I'm proud to announce the final event in the inaugural Ohio Circuit. In 15 weeks we've held 11 events and given out over $5,000 in prizes. The Ohio Circuit Championship will be the conclusion of the season and will mark a new era in how tournaments are run. Your season points will be used to help seed you, ensuring balance in your pool and, if you make it, the Championship Bracket. We've also got three contests (Amateur Teams, Obstacle Course, Banner) that you can compete in so make sure to check the bottom of the post for that information. Wings and Brew Pizza will be available for sale at the event along with Monster Energy Drinks, so everyone should be able to stay full and energetic. We have the venue all day on Saturday until the tournament completes, so there is no risk of being kicked out. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone there and I hope all can make it out for a great time! You won't want to miss this event!

This event will be worth 1.5X Circuit Points.

For more information on The Ohio Circuit and to view your point rankings please visit this thread.

Click to view pool assignments!

Columbus, OH 43201

Schedule
December 5th, 2009

11:00AM - Warm up/Set up
12:00PM - Teams Registration
12:30PM - Teams Begins
3:00PM - Singles Registration
3:30PM - Singles Pools Begins
6:30PM - Death Bracket Begins
7:00PM - Championship Bracket Begins
11:00PM - Begin Packing up

Food
There will be food sold at the event by members of the fraternity. This should be available most of the day. Please do not leave for food if you have matches to still be played.

$1 - Slice of Pizza
$2 - Monster Energy Drink
$0.75 - Soda and Candy

Money
Venue Fee: $5
Entrance fee for Singles (1v1): $10 per person
Entrance fee for Teams (2v2): $20 dollars per team ($10 per person)

Singles Payout
1st: 48%
2nd: 22%
3rd: 14%
4th: 8%
5th: 4%
5th: 4%

Teams Payout
1st: 55%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 15%

General Rules

•3 Stock
•8 minute timer
•Items are set to "off" and "none"
•All sets are best of three
•Winner's Finals, Loser's Finals, and Grand Finals are best of 5
•In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors (RPS)
•No player may choose the stage they last won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
•In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose a port first, then the opposing team will get their port choices, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port choice.
•Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
•If a game ends from a suicide move then the match will end as per the results screen. In the event of a tie, play an overtime game.
•You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions (or malfunctions), it must be agreed upon by both parties. If a Wii remote runs out of batteries the current game will continue unpaused.
•Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
•Team Attack will be ON
•Life stealing will be allowed
•If time runs out the winner will be determined in the follow order:
1. Player with the highest stock wins.
2. If stocks are tied then the player with the lowest percentage wins.
3. If both stock and percent are tied then play an overtime match.

An overtime game is defined as a 2 minute, 1 stock game played on the same stage with the same characters as the tied match. In the event an overtime game ties again, then double overtime will commence. This will continue until a winner is determined.

•No show DQ Rule: After a match has been called, if a player is two minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After six minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set. There should be no excuse for not being there when your match is called because all the food you need is in the venue for you.

•Delay of Game: During a match, if a player spends more than 2 minutes to decide on a stage or character for the next game, then a judge may be called over to hurry the decision up. If a decision is not made in a time frame at the judges discretion, then a loss of the next game will be incurred.

•Infinite chain grabs most end after 300%. If you are in an infinite chain grab and your percent exceeds 320, then your opponent automatically forfeits the current game. This is the percent during the chain grab *not* the percent after a KO move is applied and the chain grab ends (example, you can CG to 310% and U-Smash, this would not violate the 320 rule).

•These rules are subject to change leading up to the event date. The Tournament Organizer (AlphaZealot) reserves the right to remove you from the venue at his discretion.

Note: Delta Upsilon and its members, Chris Brown, and any persons helping run the event may not be held liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods during this event. Nor will Chris Brown, the venue, its owners, affiliates, employees, members, sponsors, or volunteers be held liable or responsible for any injury or harm that may befall a person during the course of this event. By entering the venue during the posted date you are displaying your agreement with this policy.

Set format (In Order of Procedure)
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stages
Starters (For Stage Striking)
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium 1

Counter pick stages
Battleship Halberd
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Lylat Cruise
Norfair
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise​

Pools and Bracket Information
Teams
Teams will be run with a double elimination bracket, seeded by Ohio Circuit Points and location.

Singles
There will be eight pools seeded by Ohio Circuit Points and location. These pools will be announced one week prior to the tournament to give players a chance to work on their character match ups and prepare for the tournament. Please be advised there may be some last-minute pool adjustments via the addition of new players to a pool (you will not be swapped after your pool is announced but someone who did not inform anyone that they were attending the tournament may be added to your pool). The top two players from each pool will advance to a 32-man double elimination bracket. Each third seed from pools will play a fourth seed to determine the remaining eight positions in a death-bracket.

The top eight players in Ohio Circuit Points will not have to participate in pools. They will be pre-seeded into the double elimination brackets and will face the winners of the death-bracket in the first round. All 24 players who advance from pool play will be seeded in the bracket according to their pool placement, location, and Ohio Circuit Points.

Pool ties will be broken as follows:
-If set wins are tied between 2 (two) people, then whoever won the head to head match advances (or gets the higher seed)
-If set wins are tied between 3 (three) people, then whoever has the better game record continues (wins - loses), if two people are tied in their game record then head to head is used. Example, if P-A beats P-B 2-1, and P-B beats P-C 2-1, and P-C beats P-A 2-0, then the results would be:
P-C is the first seed
P-A is the second seed
P-B is the third seed
-If all three players are tied in sets and games then 1 stock 2 minute overtime will be played between each of the three players. Best of one. This continues until the tie is broken.

Click to view pool assignments!

For more information on The Ohio Circuit and to view your point rankings please visit this thread.

Attendance and Setups
Attendance
1. AlphaZealot (Columbus) - 54 Points
2. Quivo (Columbus) - 4 Points
3. Clowsui (Cincinnati) - 0 Points
5. Nope (Springfield) - 17 Points
6. Champ (Springfield) - 6 Points
7. Capem (Springfield) - 11 Points
8. Fonz (Springfield) - 15 Points
9. Lou (Springfield) - 12 Points
10. Y.b.M. (Cincinnati) - 46 Points
11. Mr. E (Lima) - 0 Points
12. TheKiest (Worthington) - 0 Points
13. SneakyTaco (Columbus) - 6 Points
14. DJ Scribbles (Dayton) - 11 Points
15. Kassandra Nova (Cincinnati) - 0 Points
16. Suyon (Amherst) - 5 Points
17. Infern (Cincinnati) - 18 Points
18. Tyr (Cincinnati) - 2 Points
19. Today (Cincinnati) - 0 Points
20. T-800 (Athens) - 2 Points
21. Pops (Athens) - 0 Points
22. Baro (Plain City) - 0 Points
23. SoleCaliber (Amherst) - 1 Point
24. Smash64 (Cincinnati) - 9 Points
25. Bead (Cleveland) - 2 Points
26. Wakka (Springfield) - 2 Points
27. Fizzle (Dayton) - 5 Points
28. SoulPech (Columbus) - 0 Points
29. Zach (Columbus) - 0 Points
30. Silhouette (Springfield) - 1 Point
31. Paranormalsin (Springfield) - 0 Points
32. Mew2King (North East Ohio) - 96
33. Kel (Cincinnati) - 52 Points
34. Blue Rogue (Cleveland) - 100 Points

Maybe Attending
1. Argent (Kent State) - Slim chance
2. King Yoshi (Cleveland) - Maybe, needs a ride from NEOH Saturday morning
3. Mac Royale (SW Ohio) - Needs ride, help with parking/gas
4. Kel (Cincinnati) - Needs ride
5. King Beef (Cleveland) - Needs ride from NEOH
6. SteelSamurai - maybe
7. Beegs - word from the dubs partner is maybe

Known Teams (Seeding Points Coming Soon!)
1. Mr. E & Sole
2. Infern & Smash64
3. Pops & T-800
4. TheKiest & SciDi
5. Steel Samurai & Clowsui
6. Y.b.M. & Lou
7. Blue Rogue & Mew2King
8. King Beef & Beegs

Setups
TVS
1. Nope
2. Nope
3. Zach
4. Kiest/Pops/T-800
5. Kiest/Pops/T-800
6. Soulpech
7. Baro
8. SoleCaliber

Wiis
1. AlphaZealot
2. Quivo
3. Nope
4. Zach
5. SneakyTako
6. Today
7. Kiest/Pops/T-800
8. Kiest/Pops/T-800
9. Baro
10. Mr. E
11. Blue Rogue
12. SoleCaliber

Maps and Contests

Parking Map

The large blue area on the map is the parking garage. The garage charges $1 an hour. I believe (not %100 positive, so ask the garage attendant for confirmation or read posted signs) that the max charge is $7. The other blue area is metered and unmetered parking. There is also street parking on adjacent streets.
The red area is the venue.

TV Drop Off Map

The venue is the house of Delta Upsilon. It is a town house with an entrance in the front and back. If you are dropping a TV off, it is best to use the back entrance. To get to the back of the building you will have to follow the route in Blue. Get someone to help you before attempting to move your TV if it is large. We are in the basement of the building so there will be a flight of stairs to carry the TV down. After dropping off your TV you will need to park (See Map Labeled "Parking").
The red area is the venue.

Amateur Teams Contest
-Entry Fee-
Free with entry into the Brawl Teams event at The Ohio Circuit Championship!

-Winner Gets-
Winning team receives $10 ($5 per person).

-How to Enter-
The highest placing team composed of players with no previous appearances in the top 3 during The Ohio Circuit will win the Amatuar teams contest. This means that if you or your teammate have previously placed in the top 3 then you are ineligible.

-Deadline-
December 5th, 2009 - During the Teams competition

The Banner Contest
-Entry Fee-
Free to enter.

-Winner Gets-
Free entry to their choice of singles or teams at The Ohio Circuit Championship.

-How to Enter-
Copy and paste the following banner into an editing program, personalize it, then put it in your signature and hyperlink it to THIS THREAD. You may also create your own banner that has the same information. A single winner will be chosen based on style/artistic appeal/what looks the sexiest. A runner up will be chosen in the event the winner cannot claim his prize.

-Deadline-
5:00PM on December 3rd, 2009

The Obstacle Course
-Entry Fee-
$1 for first 3 tries, $1 for each additional 2 tries

-Winner Gets-
$10 gift card to Subway

-How to Enter-
Show up at The Ohio Circuit Championship. After Winners Round 3 is completed in the teams tournament, a TV will be made available for contestants to try their luck at The Obstacle Course. Run and invented by The Kiest, The Obstacle Course is a stage designed to prevent your movement between two points. The person who completes the distance between the two points in the fastest time will win the contest (regardless of character). Only your highest time counts.

This contest benefits: Charity Newsies

Charity Newsies said:
Our mission is that no child be kept out of school for lack of adequate clothing. Newsies completes that mission by purchasing new apparel and distributing it free of charge to school children in Franklin County, Ohio.
-Deadline-
December 5th, 2009, before the completion of The Ohio Circuit Championship​

clowsui

Smash Legend
Amateur Singles Bracket should be done. Ohio Circuit's top 16 should advance to a "True Singles Bracket" and the top 16 members of the Amateur Bracket should advance to play the OC's top 16. To enter the AB there should be no pools required. OC's top 16, in order to keep them well-prepared for the actual bracket, should compete amongst one another in order to get 1/2 seeds (i.e. put them in two RR pools and the best win/loss records will get 1st).

I'm pretty sure I'm making it to this. Buckeye Donuts run...who's with me!?

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
*sigh*...I sure hope by some miracle it still doesn't snow a lot by then. xP

Other than that, looks like I'll be making this.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
Sounds fun... I have no problem with original 12 + LM/Japes/Norfair, but that's because my characters like those janky stages... :laugh:

WaB pizza sounds good as long as it wasn't handled like at the WaB champs... As for candy, what kinda candy wouldn't I want to see there? :p

First round bye incentive for doubles teams?

We definitely need some kinda side event at this for fun... I haven't seen draft crews in a long time now... I'm sure there are plenty of other things to do...

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Last chance guys, I'm heading to class and when I get back around 6 I plan to make the rules and such.

One thing I'm thinking is:
-Top 5-10 Ohio vs Top 5-10 Michigan.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Looks like a good place to plan to attend for December as any. *shrug* Expect me there unless I post otherwise later. I can bring my Wii as usual, no TV. May or may not enter doubles depending on if anyone actually wants to team with me but it's not like I've got any "seed advantage" to lose anyway. :lick:

Pizza's fine but I don't really care too much one way or another. No opinion on the bracket-related stuff. What are the 12 stages you're referring to on the default stage list?

Starter: BF, FD, SV, Yoshi's, (Lylat or PS1)
CP: (Lylat/PS1), Castle, Halberd, Brinstar, Delfino... PictoChat, Frigate, Rainbow Cruise, PS2.

That's more than 12 stages that are pretty much always on here. I'd have to assume RC and Frigate Orpheon are the latter two stages, as those are usually on even outside of the Midwest, but you should probably just tell us exactly what they are yourself.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Standard 12
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Battleship Halberd
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Pokemon Stadium 1
Rainbow Cruise

+ these stages I'm thinking. +/- PS2 and +/- any stage someone suggests in the next hour or so lol.

Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pokémon Stadium 2

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Distant Planet.

It's only about as janky as Mansion or any of those other three, so I don't see why not.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Triple Elim doubles?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!

Talk to me about the side event at SB... I got some good ones.

As for the stages, people are prolly going to complain either way so I say...

Do all of those, or do none of those.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
I have some cool maze stages... About five of them... In my PT maze, you are forced to use all three pokemon to complete it... Some are good and tough... Some are easy tests of your character knowledge...

T-800

Smash Apprentice
I'm very interested in this, a little too far off to say for sure, but I'll keep tabs on this one.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm thinking of doing a banner contest for this, person with the best banner promoting the tournament gets free entry into doubles or singles (their choice) (banner must be put in signature).

Will have a template posted soon.

Keep posting if you can come/are interested in coming/can bring set ups!

It would be perfect if we got 12-16 set ups and 50-60 people.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I'm a dummy, finals start two weeks after this.

SS and I might team. Also we'll make it to pro brackets for sure.

Kel

Smash Master

1. If one player has over 25 edge grabs (edge grabs are recorded automatically in post-game statistics) that player loses by DQ. If both players have more than 25 edge grabs then go to number 2.
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

You can't do this on the champs AZ. This weekend at SB people devoted their ENTIRE GAME STRATEGIES to this rule. This is a dumb rule and you know it. Just because you and Q don't reach 25 edge grabs with the characters you play doesn't mean that there aren't other characters, or certain matchups that require more ledge grabbing.

Also, wtf, why no PS2 or pictochat.

You must have been in the EC too long or something man. Your head's all screwy

Infern Angelis

Smash Master
Kel has a point, if a falco is spamming laters on like FD, im gonna be grabbing that ledge till that mothafu- stops, it really is a bad rule, at least not put it as low as 25 grabs, thats just too low.

Top Bottom