• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Hey there, ladies. This is Shiri, the man with the velvet tones.

This is going to be our new, simple, formatted, and updated Q&A thread. It will contain questions that are asked of us frequently as well, so people can get their answers here instead of making tons of new threads. If you are from another character board or are new, please take like...ten minutes to review this information. We really REALLY would appreciate it. Thank you.

The first post is formatted such that FAQs are first and then questions that have been asked which have notable answers are placed afterward. If you have any questions...just ask away!

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Hey! I discovered a new Yoshi technique (that may or may not involve eggs or the edge in some way)! I even have a video! Should I go ahead and make a new thread about it?

A: Chances are moderately high that we're already on top of many of Yoshi's mysteries. If you think you have something new, post in this thread first to see if it's been discovered. If it's determined to be a legitimate discovery, you may make a thread about it if you think it's that important.

Q: Hey! I'm a new Yoshi player! I wanna introduce myself to you guys! Should I go ahead and make a thread about it?

A: Well, on behalf of all of us, welcome to the Yoshi boards! Instead of making a new thread, however, try posting in the Yoshi Locator thread to introduce yourself and tell us where you live (and plan on wrecking face with Yoshi).

Q: Hey! So a new tier list came out recently and Yoshi was like...bottom or super bottom or ultra bottom tier or something? I don't agree with that at all! Should I go ahead and make a thread about it?

A: Yoshi is going to be low/bottom/trash tier for a while for many different reasons. Please do not make a thread about why you think Yoshi is bad or why he shouldn't be trash tier. Please.

Q: Hey! Yoshi is so cool...he should have (insert game mechanic here)! And while we're at it, let's talk about the next Super Smash Bros. game! I'll just go ahead and make a thread, if that's alright...is it?

A: If you would like to discuss things of this nature, please feel free to join our Yoshi Chat and talk with other Yoshi mains about stuff like this, which doesn't need individual threads being made.

Q: Hey! I've got videos of my Yoshi in action! It might not be super pro, but it's pretty good and I'd like some criticism. Should I go ahead and make a thread about it?

A: If you are planning to have a thread which archives your videos (Bwett and I both have one, for example), then yes, you may make your own thread. If you just want a quick critique or to show off your Yoshi for a match or two, please post in the Video Critique thread or the Video Archive thread.

Q: So...where do I go for Yoshi information? What if I want to ask (insert Yoshi main here) a question?

A: Our new stickies are a consolidation of almost everything you could possibly want to know about Yoshi. Please start at the Yoshi Guide if you're new or check out the Yoshi Link Thread if you just want to know what is where. If you want to ask a particular player a question, you can PM them, VM them, or ask them here. Remember, this is a thread for questions.

Thanks for reviewing this information! Remember, this is the place for questions. If you need anything, let our super awesome Yoshi people answer your questions! This will be updated weekly.

D1

Banned via Administration
OMG Yoshi is t3h Triple S tier!!!!! No one knows yet and usmash is still good kids!

*runs off*

LOL all jokes aside, this is a good thread to cut down on all the clutter aka wasted threads.

Airborne

Smash Lord
i have a strong feeling that people are going to start useless threads just as much without this thread..... because that's how idiots roll these days. =P
but yeah, i'm loving how you're reorganizing the board, shiri. this'll forewarn the smart newcomers! ^.^

Chaco

Never Logs In
Alright, I got an issue. I've been battling to tap vs no tap battle for a long time now. I was watching videos of Bwett last night, literally for like 2 hours studying him. (Yes, I had no life last night) So I started to pick up on how Bwett plays and what makes him so much better. So I started trying to play like he was and my tap crutch killed me.

So I've got a dilemma, kill all use of DR and go no tap. But I can DR/DT with L+Y+A. It's just a lot harder.

So, people. Tap or no tap? Although I already know that most will say no tap.

Also, I think I'm going grab with c-stick. o_o

Dont.Forget.To.Smile

Smash Rookie
i know people's biggest concern with tapjump on is losing a 2nd jump to an egg toss. i find that b-sticking not only makes this impossible, but using c-up gives me alot better control over my aim with eggs. it automatically lobbs an egg the shortest distance possible, or i can slide my thumb the fracton of an inch over to hold the B button after flicking it up to give it more range.

tap jump on makes DR and eggthrowslides easier for me, and bsticking keeps RAR bair approaches faster and prevents getting gimped by the loss of a jump.

my two cents.

Bwett

Smash Ace
I think I will make a vid showing different setups I do against different characters. It's going to take a long time, but I think it should help out alot. I have alot of things I do that I haven't really discussed with yall just yet.

I suggest no tap jump. You have more control with Yoshi with less effort and you need to make everything as easy as possible in tourney or you will screw up because of pressure.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I think I will make a vid showing different setups I do against different characters. It's going to take a long time, but I think it should help out alot. I have alot of things I do that I haven't really discussed with yall just yet.

I suggest no tap jump. You have more control with Yoshi with less effort and you need to make everything as easy as possible in tourney or you will screw up because of pressure.
It's gonna be an acquired taste for me though, I'm so used to tap jump it's not even funny. But making things easy is a priority for me, as of yesterday Yoshi is the only char I played with tap jump on. The rest I used off for. But now I'll try to go straight no tap. I'll probably suck for about 2 weeks while adjusting.

Bwett

Smash Ace
wtf...i never noticed that lol.

Chaco, a big thing that really helps with Yoshi is punishing OoS. I'm not sure if you or any of the other Yoshi mains do this but when I'm attacked by multi-hit moves, like G&W bair, I will shield the entire thing up until the last few hits and then use spotdodge once to take care of the rest.

This is Yoshi's equivalent of doing things OoS. If timed correctly, you will have the same timing as just dropping your shield with any other character.

Chaco

Never Logs In
wtf...i never noticed that lol.

Chaco, a big thing that really helps with Yoshi is punishing OoS. I'm not sure if you or any of the other Yoshi mains do this but when I'm attacked by multi-hit moves, like G&W bair, I will shield the entire thing up until the last few hits and then use spotdodge once to take care of the rest.

This is Yoshi's equivalent of doing things OoS. If timed correctly, you will have the same timing as just dropping your shield with any other character.
Hmm, I'll have to use this. I never thought to do that. Thinking back and rewatching vids I see that you do it.

Also, DR saved me from switching control anxiety. I'm all no tap now, and can DR better than ever. Using slopes on different stages to gradually build up my consistency helped me loads.

All Y-Y-A now.

If anyone else wants to try this to get better at it, start on Corneria and run up the wing and cancel try DR starting at the beginning of it. You can cancel so easy on it. Hardest ones being like Lylat, it's slope is near the same as regular floor. So it's a way to gradually build up your confidence and muscle memory.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: That is quite nice. The idea of spotdodging to punish OoS. o_o **steals** >_>

Bwett

Smash Ace
...shiri, you didnt know that? I would've assumed atleast you knew since you know most things Yoshi related. Well, I would assume then that no one knows that...that is my a big part of my game and should be for yalls as well.

D

Deleted member

...shiri, you didnt know that? I would've assumed atleast you knew since you know most things Yoshi related. Well, I would assume then that no one knows that...that is my a big part of my game and should be for yalls as well.
Thats neat. I normally just run away instead of shielding :p
Cuz i r cowardz

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: It's hard for me to register stuff like that sometimes.

(Here come the old age johns) I'm still used to Melee where Yoshi's dodge and roll frames were all misplaced (which is a good thing at first), but when you try to use them like the other characters do, you get hit and Yoshi getting hit in Melee is a very not good thing. I'm just not used to having really super good dodge frames and the last thing that naturally occurs to me when I'm in my shield against something like Game and Watch back air is what to use to punish after I spotdodge OoS to avoid the latter half of the attack. LOL, for me, even typing that seems odd--the fact that you do stuff like that is awesome, though! It's an area of my game I will definitely have to work on--I make way too many parallels between this game and Melee, sometimes to my own misfortune.

I know it's a long-shot but maybe Yoshi's egg-lay cancel combos into itself on some characters? The idea came from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FcCFkDNq2M at 2:02. It would be the most annoying infinite ever, but if it works >_>. Anyways I apologize for the sporadic posts, I've been trying to catch up on a lot of board history and I keep getting pulled away from my comp.
This is infuriatingly cute, but one thing I noticed is that Airborne slid really far away from the timeout; I guess Yoshi slides further than most characters do when Egg Lay times out? He slid right back into timeout range, which is awesome, but can other characters also slide back into this range? It seems like it would only work on those characters.

Trust Chaco to come up with something this disturbingly gay and cute. Egg Lay infinite, WTF.

nicalobe

Smash Journeyman
Quick question about reverse ETS. About half the time I do the move, I'll get a nice long slide in the direction I'm running. However, the other half of the time I'll have a small slide in the wrong direction, back towards what I was running away from. Is there any way to fix this?

nicalobe

Smash Journeyman
I'm using Wii-chuck (I know it's not normal, don't diss me) with tap jump off and down on the d-pad set to jump. Say I'm going left, I start running and when I want to do the move, I jump then immediatly roll the control stick left -> up -> right as I hit B to throw the egg. I press B when the stick is in the up position. Now that I'm thinking about it, the problem could be in me pressing B too late, when the stick is upright... I don't know. Thoughts? I'll test the delayed B button theory in the meantime.

Nul

Smash Apprentice
Directed here for my topic.

Since I hadn't known that Yoshi previously steals recoveries, and couldn't find anything on it here besides Snake, I made a vid on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfC2iPn8rzU

Also, the video includes possible recoveries for those who can. I don't think there was any cover on that part, but then again, others knew about the grab-steals.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Thanks, we appreciate it! I didn't know you could steal Zero Suit Samus' recovery, that was news to me.

Sharky

Smash Master
I know it's a long-shot but maybe Yoshi's egg-lay cancel combos into itself on some characters? The idea came from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FcCFkDNq2M at 2:02. It would be the most annoying infinite ever, but if it works >_>. Anyways I apologize for the sporadic posts, I've been trying to catch up on a lot of board history and I keep getting pulled away from my comp.
That would be the most hilarious infinite. Ever. I'm curious as to whether there's enough hitstun after the timeout for it to work, however. I don't think there is. =(

Nul

Smash Apprentice
The link doesn't work.
My bad, missed the U on the end, edited, and works now.

Also, for Yoshi's Egg lay (Neutral B), has anyone had any consistency on training mode? I've been testing for a half hour with Dedede, and had it about 30 times total.

I know it's not all about the spacing, it's mostly in the timing.

Nul

Smash Apprentice
:yoshi: Thanks, we appreciate it! I didn't know you could steal Zero Suit Samus' recovery, that was news to me.
also with ZSS's backflip, she gets it back if she grabs the ledge. I'm not sure if the vid shows that.

Rhox

Smash Rookie
Dr

Hello, I would just like to quickly introduce myself before asking for help. I am a new member here and I aspire to main everyone's favorite dinosaur. I'm somewhat of a Yoshi novice though, but I think I have a basic feel for him.

My question is about Dragonic Reverse. Dear God, I suck at it. I've watched videos and read about it, but I just can't seem to get it down. Can someone give me advice please? :confused:

Heck, any tips at all for someone unskilled in the ways of Yoshi would be nice. :laugh:

EDIT: Just to clarify on the tips, I meant more like advice, as I know that the Yoshi FAQ is there for the basic stuff.

nicalobe

Smash Journeyman
Rhox - Welcome to the Yoshi boards!

First off, the thread on the DR is a very well made thread. Read into it to try and find some tips on how to pull it off with more consistency.

Second, when practicing, start in training mode with the speed lowered. Once you start pulling the move off, raise the speed a notch and get it working then. Rinse and repeat.

Third, as someone else stated, if you are having trouble pulling off the move, try practicing on Corneria's huge wing. It makes it a lot easier to pull off.

Finally, don't get discouraged if you're not getting it, it is a hard technique to get down. Some might even say it's not worth the trouble thanks to the ETS. But it will add another weapon to your arsenal, so if you can get it, great! If not, it probably won't set your Yoshi back too far.

Sharky

Smash Master
"DR'ing" on the wing actually isn't DR. When you quickly double jump there, you actually just land and cancel the jump, without using the aerial. I wouldn't practice there, as you probably aren't actually DR'ing when you think you are.

DeDeDaang

Smash Rookie
Hey, I am new to smashboards, and though I do not plan to main Yoshi, I do enjoy playing him. I managed to discover something, though I am not sure if it is significant or has not already been found out, while messing around with the Yoshi bomb on the tilts of some stages (ex. Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise). Of course, when you Yoshi bomb on a tilt, you slide, generally off of the edge, and you regain control when you do so. This can lead to edgeguarding with areals. However, I managed to cancel the Yoshi bomb by jumping while still on the very edge of the stage, and then tilting the control stick into the angled edge. This results in a canceled jump, allowing one to use any move shortly after the down b, smashes being the most useful. This is easy to perform when you get the timing down of the jump used to cancel the slide. From what I have seen, if one's opponent is caught in the stars of the down b, one will be able to land the smash, tilt, grab, etc. In theory, you could even string together down b's by doing one on the tilt, cancelling it with a jump toward the tilted edge, and following this first jump up immediately with a short hopped down b back onto the tilt to start the process over again. Would this even be of any use? I could see the down b cancelled into a smash, tilt, or grab being situational, but maybe useful. Also, you can edgehog by doing the down b into a tilt, and, while sliding, DI'ing towards the stage, to slide a little less and instantly grab onto the edge.

Chaco

Never Logs In
"DR'ing" on the wing actually isn't DR. When you quickly double jump there, you actually just land and cancel the jump, without using the aerial. I wouldn't practice there, as you probably aren't actually DR'ing when you think you are.
You aren't but it helps you get your timing down. Then go to luck Halberd and do it's slant. Then just do the normal flat floor. Helped me switch. Dunno if it would help others.

Rhox

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm sure I'll have it down eventually.

Nul

Smash Apprentice
I've been testing the Egg Lay Fake, what Veelhelm pointed out in the posted vid, and my initial theory has partially right. Rather than explain it, I'll put it through a vid, because I can't explain half of it in a post.

Has anyone else had any consistancy on testing? I feel that I may have enough to put a vid together.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Random thought: Yoshi is kinda bad in teams. If, for example, you're trying to grab and hold someone so that your partner can hit them with a strong attack (one of the oldest doubles tricks in the book), they go inside your head and it doesn't work since you have a risk of dying too.

Shiri when am I gonna get that list of threads from you? XP

Top Bottom