• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official West Virginia Thread - Cilantro Smash 3 (July 19)

AaronScaring

Smash Apprentice
Hello, I'm in WV Smash but might as well post here too. I've been working on my Dedede and Wario in Smash 4 and hope to attend a Smash 4 event here soon. I don't know how soon it'll be but hopefully sometime in the near future. I've literally been having dreams about attending events, and you can't fight your dreams man. You've gotta FOLLOW! But for now, I gotta improve.
I like your attitude man. What part of WV are you from?

Terabyte

Smash Rookie
NNID
PokeBoy99
I like your attitude man. What part of WV are you from?
That was a fast reply, haha. I'm Brandon Clay in WV Smash, I believe I've spoken to you before about being at AFK for Smash 4. I'm from Lincoln County. I noticed that AFK canceled Smash 4 last Friday, is it being featured tomorrow or another game?

AaronScaring

Smash Apprentice
That was a fast reply, haha. I'm Brandon Clay in WV Smash, I believe I've spoken to you before about being at AFK for Smash 4. I'm from Lincoln County. I noticed that AFK canceled Smash 4 last Friday, is it being featured tomorrow or another game?
Well actually, AFK is canceled tomorrow pretty much as well. Most of WV will be up north in Pittsburgh and Morgantown for two tournaments.

Terabyte

Smash Rookie
NNID
PokeBoy99
Well actually, AFK is canceled tomorrow pretty much as well. Most of WV will be up north in Pittsburgh and Morgantown for two tournaments.
Ah, all right. I understand. I meant to ask, when AFK plays how long does it usually last? I know it starts at about 7:30 and I'm just wondering when it's over. I'm new to all of this lol.

FoxeR

Smash Cadet
woah

just announced smashcon august 6-9 in Dulles,Va thats actually really close

thats about 3 and half hours from morgantown

Last edited:

FoxeR

Smash Cadet
I feel like Ive gotten a lot better since cilantro smash 1 but its kinda hard to tell

in other news my haircut got ****ed up

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Ive gotten a lot better since cilantro smash 1 but its kinda hard to tell

in other news my haircut got ****ed up
I guess we'll see this Saturday at Scuffles (if you're still coming!) (and if the roads aren't too bad to drive)
also it'll probably be cold af so just wear a hat LMAO

FoxeR

Smash Cadet
I guess we'll see this Saturday at Scuffles (if you're still coming!) (and if the roads aren't too bad to drive)
also it'll probably be cold af so just wear a hat LMAO

yea Im coming! been excited all week actually hopefully the roads will be ok

FoxeR

Smash Cadet
@ KrazyKnux KrazyKnux can you update the title to show that HE2 is coming up soon?
Im surprised a tourney named high elevation in April isnt on the 20th lol :falconmelee:

looks hype!

anyway I'll probably be there I have family down there to stay with night my mom always wants excuses to get down there to visit

Last edited:

FoxeR

Smash Cadet
I've got a soccer tournament in North Carolina that weekend :S

and I'm the one that drives the other 6-7 melee players in Wheeling everywhere

true

I'll try to hold it down for Wheeling to show my appreciation

btw WV smash Im working on a secondary I REALLY want to play either Doc or Mario for fun on the side but cant decide which

anybody have thoughts maybe I should play both ?

FoxeR

Smash Cadet
Cilantro smash was nice today well run as always and cool to meet new people.

Im still terrible at dealing with tournament nerves.Between sleeping poorly the night before and the stress of a tourney by the end I feel like a zombie overall just too tired to function properly. As soon as I am down a stock I give up too easily. Hopefully that stuff just goes away with time. Not sure if my heart is in it with Fox anymore either. Overall though a lot to think about and improve on and all I can really do is get back to practice and keep my head up.

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
fox is hard, man.

I'm pretty sure every fox has had his doubts (especially early on)

do whatever feels right, but if you put in the work with fox you'll reap the rewards later

FoxeR

Smash Cadet
fox is hard, man.

I'm pretty sure every fox has had his doubts (especially early on)

do whatever feels right, but if you put in the work with fox you'll reap the rewards later
thanks I always appreciate any advice anyone wants to give me and your right should definitely have a Fox in my pocket but for now I feel like Im kinda just forcing myself to play him when at the moment Im having more fun with Falco on top of tournament nerves and second guessing my Fox was just a little too much

when I played Starcraft one of my biggest mistakes was playing and learning only zerg...not understanding enough protoss and terran hurt me in the long run knowledge wise so gonna take the slow approach here and really learn the entire game hopefully in the end my fox will be better because of it but for now I gotta know that its gonna be slower in the beginning than if I was grinding only Fox

I think the weather was kinda getting to me the last few months too **** west virginia winters seriously I think I will feel a lot better overall next tournament once Ive had a little sun consistently

Last edited:

MadeYouLook

Smash Cadet
this is FoxeR

officially going back to my old tag MadeYouLooK just feels wrong breaking my long tradition of rap related tags and Im playing as much Falco as Fox now just needed a change =)

BHawksFan01

Smash Rookie
NNID
BHawksFan01
here's me repping WV up at moal earlier this month: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nli8GEVeagI

easily the most nervous I've ever been playing Smash, but I think I've gotten ridiculously better since then!
For a second there I thought that was TimKO's Peach with all that stitch-face bull, lol.

Carroll's the homie tho and has been working on his Peach from what I can tell. He bodied me a few weeks back with it in friendlies and he beat TimKO with it somewhat recently in bracket. Definitely nothing to sneeze at.

MadeYouLook

Smash Cadet

@ KrazyKnux KrazyKnux

been watching this set of you and krox from HE2 and wondering if you had any thoughts on it? How did you guys play in your opinion? Anything glaring that you needed to work on/have gotten better at since then. Been working of my fox ditto and was JW if you had any thoughts on the set I know there was some stylin/fun going on but besides that.

Last edited:

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
I do remember playing pretty well that set (and the other one from that tournament). Two of the biggest issues with my game in the fox ditto are edgeguarding and recovering. I need to work a little bit on sweetspotting the ledge (especially with shortened/mid illusions), and where I'm recovering from (don't recover too close that I get shined or hit, but not too far that it's easy to react to). I think I'm a bit too predictable or just not optimal with my recoveries. I need to add some shine stalls or airdodges to mix it up, and I also need to be able to sweetspot my jump to the ledge.

Secondly, he's a lot better at edgeguarding than I am. I get caught thinking "do I shine, or should I bair?" and end up flubbing it a lot. There's less room for error when shining, but if you get it then there's nothing your opponent can do. Bair is easier to hit, but at certain percents it just gives them another opportunity to recover and mix up the recovery. Gotta study some Armada fox dittos tbh.

So those are two of the things I really need to work on. I have been working on my dash dancing game so that I can follow up from tech chases easier. I feel like Krox punishes harder than I do, so if I can improve on all these things, I think I'll be able to take more sets in the future.

Top Bottom