• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Official Technical Issues Q&A thread (TV's, Controllers, gamecubes, etc)

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
What are some good controller maintenance guides? My control stick is just a little bit looser than I'd like it to be.

reverie2

Smash Apprentice
I went to a local today and noticed that I had trouble shield dropping on 2 of the setups. I tried unplugging and replugging, and made sure I wasn't holding the stick when I plugged in, but nothing changed. They were on 20xx (1 was on the most recent version, 1 was on the version before that), if that matters.

I have absolutely no problem shield dropping and I use it a lot in my gameplay so I know it's not an input problem (I have over 90% success rate). A majority of setups, netplay, dolphin (with 4 port wii u adapter on wii u mode), even the 2 latest versions of 20xx I generally don't have a problem. Anyone have any idea what went wrong with those 2 setups?

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
I went to a local today and noticed that I had trouble shield dropping on 2 of the setups. I tried unplugging and replugging, and made sure I wasn't holding the stick when I plugged in, but nothing changed. They were on 20xx (1 was on the most recent version, 1 was on the version before that), if that matters.

I have absolutely no problem shield dropping and I use it a lot in my gameplay so I know it's not an input problem (I have over 90% success rate). A majority of setups, netplay, dolphin (with 4 port wii u adapter on wii u mode), even the 2 latest versions of 20xx I generally don't have a problem. Anyone have any idea what went wrong with those 2 setups?
Likely they were loading the game using Nintendont with the native control setting turned off (which is the default). It messes with the calibration in some way; I'm not exactly sure how but I believe it doesn't calibrate the controller every time it's connected (like normal) and just uses a static calibration, meaning that if your control stick's neutral position isn't centered then it will be read differently on that setup than a normal one (where the different position would be calibrated as neutral). 20XX itself isn't the problem.

You can test it by holding down a trigger or holding one of the analogue sticks significantly off-centre as the controller is connected. If the analogue part of that trigger isn't disabled or the stick isn't creating inputs by itself then it's a misconfigured Nintendont setup.

Last edited:

Kid-Pit

Smash Rookie
So I recintly got Dolphen on my pc and I wanted to use my wiiu adapter to play PM but I was worried that I couldn't use it in smash for wiiu anymore, at least not without some other modification.

In short will changing the drivers on the wiiu adapter effect the adapters ability to play smash on then wiiu?

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
So I recintly got Dolphen on my pc and I wanted to use my wiiu adapter to play PM but I was worried that I couldn't use it in smash for wiiu anymore, at least not without some other modification.

In short will changing the drivers on the wiiu adapter effect the adapters ability to play smash on then wiiu?
You're not changing anything in the adapter itself, and Dolphin has native support and shouldn't require you to change anything anyway. That's how I practice Melee, and I can switch back to Smash 4 at any time.

Last edited:

Kid-Pit

Smash Rookie
You're not changing anything in the adapter itself, and Dolphin has native support and shouldn't require you to change anything anyway. That's how I practice Melee, and I can switch back to Smash 4 at any time.
Well when I launched dolphin and went to the controller settings it said driver not found.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Well when I launched dolphin and went to the controller settings it said driver not found.
Make sure you're using a recent version of dolphin (I think Netplay ladder uses 4780 or something). After that you may have to use zadig to get it to work, instructions can be found on the Anther's Ladder site under guides. However, I'm fairly certain it's just changing software on your computer and not the device itself.

Kid-Pit

Smash Rookie
Make sure you're using a recent version of dolphin (I think Netplay ladder uses 4780 or something). After that you may have to use zadig to get it to work, instructions can be found on the Anther's Ladder site under guides. However, I'm fairly certain it's just changing software on your computer and not the device itself.
I have 3532, I downloaded the most recent one from the page to see if that was the problem.
It wasn't.

UPDATE: I used zadig and it works for dolphin but I haven't tested it on smash for wiiu yet.

Last edited:

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
So I cleaned my controller, and I wiped a little dust and grime and stuff from the stickbox. Now it's having trouble backdashing. Does anyone know how I could go about fixing this? Would I need to lubricate it somehow?

chair125

Smash Rookie
I have a problem with my mayflash wii u gamecube 4 port adapter wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or knows how to fix it. So when i click my triggers all the way down a certain way, they don't register but if I click the triggers a certain way they do register. This happens in wii u mode but if I put the adapter in pc mode and configure the buttons, the triggers work fine. Idk if it's always been this way for me or just happened recently but it's really annoying because sometimes, I mess up my wavedashes and just jump instead. I have a silver controller and a black controller 1st party, happening on both.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I have a problem with my mayflash wii u gamecube 4 port adapter wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or knows how to fix it. So when i click my triggers all the way down a certain way, they don't register but if I click the triggers a certain way they do register. This happens in wii u mode but if I put the adapter in pc mode and configure the buttons, the triggers work fine. Idk if it's always been this way for me or just happened recently but it's really annoying because sometimes, I mess up my wavedashes and just jump instead. I have a silver controller and a black controller 1st party, happening on both.
Have you tried just deleting and reinstalling the driver? That fixed one issue I had with it a while ago, although usually if I so much as rest my finger on the shoulder buttons it will register them as pressed which is super annoying. I stopped playing on Dolphin though because it just feels worse than a console to me

chair125

Smash Rookie
Have you tried just deleting and reinstalling the driver? That fixed one issue I had with it a while ago, although usually if I so much as rest my finger on the shoulder buttons it will register them as pressed which is super annoying. I stopped playing on Dolphin though because it just feels worse than a console to me
Hey sorry I havent been home. I just deleted and reinstalled the driver and it's the same thing.

chair125

Smash Rookie
Also, it turns out that I was wrong it it is happening in pc mode as well.

chair125

Smash Rookie
It could be an issue with your adapter but I haven't heard many people complain about these adapters. Do your controllers work properly on consoles?
Yeah man, I have no way to check on console. I'm thinking just buy a wii because I'd rather play on that as well than dolphin. Any idea what's a good price on a used 1?

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Yeah man, I have no way to check on console. I'm thinking just buy a wii because I'd rather play on that as well than dolphin. Any idea what's a good price on a used 1?
You can get them for like 30 or 40 on Amazon in solid condition. If that's too much maybe try to find a friend who has an old one and haggle them down to a better price

chair125

Smash Rookie
If anyone else has anything to add for my problem about the triggers, please let me know.

UriNATE

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1392-5619-0492
After scouring the internet, I have not found an answer to my issue regarding the plastic part around the plug for a controller. No videos, no forum posts.. Nothing. So hopefully someone is able to help me out here.

Recently, I ordered an emerald blue controller from Japan. The images were pretty appealing, it didn't cost more than $48.00 (canadian, with shipping), and so I snapped it up real quick. What the seller conveniently hid was the fact that the wires inside of the cord are visible near the base of the controller plug like so: http://imgur.com/npAjr6Q

How I would like to remedy this issue of mine would be for me to open the blue plastic case surrounding the plug, and then wrapping the wire in some electrical tape before reattaching the blue plug casing. I'm am to understand that it's glued shut, so I'm curious how I would go about opening it with the least amount of damage possible?

Also, regardless of the cord's inside wires showing, the controller works like a charm. I'm just trying to see if it would just be worth fixing the wire instead of changing the entire circuit board all together.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
I think I would just put hot glue or epoxy around that open part and, if the look is important to you, paint it black afterwards. I don't think it's possible to get the plug housing open without damaging it, so gluing it is arguably less intrusive even.

chair125

Smash Rookie
For anyone who has this problem. I fixed it by taking taking the controller apart and taking out the black plastic housing pieces that are screwed on covering the triggers inside the back shell. I did this to both of my controllers and it fixed them. They were both bought off Ebay. So, maybe they were refurbished incorrectly or something.

OG Fresco

Smash Rookie
After watching My Smash Corner's controller setup video, I was wondering (and this may seem like a stupid question), are HORI Battle Pad Controllers for WiiU counted as third-party controllers and based on that, are they banned in tournaments? Theoretically, if the HORI Battle Pad Controllers didn't connect to a WiiMote (making it wireless), it would be the best controller according to the video.

TrashWizard

Smash Cadet
NNID
n1nj4t2
After watching My Smash Corner's controller setup video, I was wondering (and this may seem like a stupid question), are HORI Battle Pad Controllers for WiiU counted as third-party controllers and based on that, are they banned in tournaments? Theoretically, if the HORI Battle Pad Controllers didn't connect to a WiiMote (making it wireless), it would be the best controller according to the video.
Most tournaments I have been to that host smash 4 allow for wii remotes to be used provided it does not interfere with the setup, the easy way around this is to just remove the wii remote batteries after your matches and quickly sync up your wii remote at any setup you go to, make sure not to interrupt the tournament process throughout your use of the controller. I personally am not familiar with this Hori Battle Pad, so I am not aware if it has a turbo function, if it were to have one, it would likely be banned from tournament.

reverie2

Smash Apprentice
I'm getting this problem where when I'm trying to scar jump (using c stick backwards when hanging on ledge on yoshi), a bair comes out for some reason. As far as I'm aware you should need 2 c stick inputs to get the bair right? I notice it doesnt happen if I smash my c stick instead of lightly tap it. If i flick the c stick once super quick, a bair comes out pretty consistently. Is this a controller issue?

I tried 2 other controllers and got the same result so I'm thinking it's most likely my input, unless all controllers are like this.

Kadano

Magical Express
Didn't know where to post this, but this looks like the right place... Anyway, for those who have experience using these sticks, how similar (or not) are they compared to the original? http://www.gaminggenerations.com/store/gamecube-controller-analog-replacement-left-p-2530.html
They are not as good as original, but somewhat close. They are slightly shorter, so you need to move it less for the same analog value change, and you need to insert a small spacer into its hole so that the rubber won't touch the gate before the stick knob stave.
The rubber on top also has less friction than original, but it's still okay I'd say.

The same ones are available on AliExpress for 1$ a piece or less (if you order more).

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Last week, someone asked me to clean up their controller and stuff. So I did it, but when I put the controller back together, he plugged it in and it didn't connect at all. he unplugged and plugged back in, and it worked. It kinda works half the time.

What might be the causes of this, and why did it only happen after I opened the controller? I didn't even touch the chord or anything. o_O

My guess is either one of the connector's solder broke, oxydation on the plug or the connexion broke inside the plastic end.

halp

Kadano

Magical Express
This behavior could be caused by all kinds of improper contacts. Inspect the board for fine hair breaks and anything that looks different than normal. Resolder all pins and connections that seem strange.

Mr Snak3_

Smash Apprentice
I'm considering getting a better CRT mostly looking for a hd Sony trinitron or a normal 4:3 one, if I put the hd one in 4:3 mode would there still be upscale lag?

Synnett

Alligator Lord
This behavior could be caused by all kinds of improper contacts. Inspect the board for fine hair breaks and anything that looks different than normal. Resolder all pins and connections that seem strange.
I found the cause, it was actually a pretty dumb defect in the controller. The cord was stretched too tight inside the controller, and it would pull off the black pin, causing the power to cut. I cut the tie wrap and loosen it, and now it works perfectly.

Thanks!

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Alright, I have a strange issue with my controller that I realize affected my performance a lot. When I press my left trigger to the clicky thing, sometimes it doesn't register and it won't let me wavedash. If I push toward the back when I press it it works, but if I push it toward me it never works. So if I press normally there's like 25% chances it won't register ;_; I tried to change every piece that remotely affects the trigger, and it won't help. Except for the green piece with the current. I'll try to change it, but I'm quite confused as to how it would be in cause as it's pretty much a circle of graphite cut in two - why would one end not work? I even tried with a conductive material and I don't see any difference. ;_;

In short halp.

Edit: I changed the whole trigger thing with another controller and now it works? I'm very confused... that means the green part is not in cause but why. o_O

Alright I fixed it, my grey plastic button was too short somehow.

Last edited:

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
I've looked things up and I can't seem to figure out how to do it or if it's possible.
Can you remove the clicky resistance on a gamecube controllers shoulder button? I have one that's broken in and works great, but once that controller is gone, it's gone. Does anyone know how to remove this or artificially "break in" a shoulder button?

Synnett

Alligator Lord
I've looked things up and I can't seem to figure out how to do it or if it's possible.
Can you remove the clicky resistance on a gamecube controllers shoulder button? I have one that's broken in and works great, but once that controller is gone, it's gone. Does anyone know how to remove this or artificially "break in" a shoulder button?
Yep

You know the rubber: _/'''''''\_

You need to pierce holes on the sides ( / \ ), this way when the rubber flexes there is less resistance. The way I do it is that I use a needle to pierce 4 holes North, East, West and South, then diagonally. Then I use a scalpel and join the holes. I suggest you start by cutting two opposite sides, test if you like it, if not cut one more sides and so on. Be careful, as you cannot go back.

:083:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
^

You can also snip the springs a bit so there is less resistance when pressing down. This helps a lot for the new smash controller because they have excessively long springs.

I've also found spraying some WD-40 on the nub that connects the motherboard to the analog shoulder button input can help smooth things out a little, although it doesn't do quite as much

Zonda1996

Smash Rookie
Where would be a good place to look for Controller Parts in Aus?

I have a really good broken in controller with a dead spring on the A button I want to replace.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Where would be a good place to look for Controller Parts in Aus?

I have a really good broken in controller with a dead spring on the A button I want to replace.
Oh man, used video game stores and the likes. There isn't a spring for the buttons, but instead a rubber thing ( check my post above ). Any GC controller will do, simply open your controller and change the rubber plate.

You can find a few broken GC controllers on eBay for very cheap too.

ianisthewalrus

Smash Rookie
Anyone have any experience with the 40" Sony Trinitron TVs (KV-40XBR700, KV-40XBR800)? All I can find is one mention to avoid them because they are "newer and can possibly lag", but I wanted to know if anyone had any direct experience with them lagging or not. Thanks!

Silfo

Smash Rookie
Kadano Kadano I want to add shield drop notches to a controller the potentiometer glitch, I've heard opening it up I can lose the glitch. The controller is very old and I want to replace one of the springs as well. Is there a way to add notches without opening up the controller or is it not much of a risk? Also not sure if this is the best place to ask you this kind of question

Ahny.

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kingdomhearts222
I have a tiny issue with my controller my Y button and R button are really hard to press down for some reason so any help or tips for fixing this issue would help

Top Bottom