• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Official Technical Issues Q&A thread (TV's, Controllers, gamecubes, etc)

Turnerfield77

Smash Cadet
So I have a projector screen at home that I could bring up to school. It's pretty old and kinda ****ty so I was wondering if anyone knew of lag problems with projectors? It would be too awesome to play with a huge screen on the wall.

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Actually I've found that many projectors have tons of settings that can be messed with for the type of video input, and in many cases using the right setting can eliminate lag... Although I doubt this applies to yours if if really is that old.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
That thing is interesting. It really depends on the device and how the conversion works...

Using Dolphin to play on a computer, the game doesn't have any conversion lag like you're used to seeing on an HDTV because the emulator directly outputs at your resolution.

The gamebridge seems pretty old though according to their documentation - maybe someone has experience with one.

Bad Cupboard

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know where I can buy official Nintendo analog stick caps? I've tried 3rd party ones and they fell apart almost instantly, plus they just don't feel right.
I've also tried using the Nunchuk cap and while it was a decent enough replacement I don't like the extra length of the stick.

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
any advice on a cheap, lagless tv for my dorm room? Where to buy, what models, etc? Any help is much appreciated

CableCho57

Smash Lord
any crt is good for smash. go to local thrift stores or craiglists. More likely than not, you'll be able to get a free one from someone on craigslist

I have some unknown brand I got on craigslist that i've been using for smash for like 4 years

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
any advice on a cheap, lagless tv for my dorm room? Where to buy, what models, etc? Any help is much appreciated
If size is your worry then it'll be pretty hard/expensive to get a flat monitor without lag but if it's cheap your looking for then literally any CRT will do and they're cheap too.

Anyways, the rubber cap on my stick broke. Can I just place a new one on top of the stick without taking out the stick itself. What I mean is when the controller is opened does the plastic come right off so I can just switch it without doing any real work or soldering?

DRGN

Technowizard
Yeah. The mechanics of the joystick just have a post that comes out which the cap slides onto/off.

Atrain

Smash Cadet
Any tips on cleaning the gamecube disc reader or the disc itself? It keeps crashing on FoD and Corneria.

DRGN

Technowizard
For discs I use dishwashing liquid, water, and my fingers. I put a few drops on, and then rub the disc in a zigzag pattern between the inside and outer rim of the disc as I slowly rotate it - don't use circular motions, because if there is a larger particle that might cause even a very tiny scratch it's better for the scratch to be perpendicular to the tracks of data on the disc (which run concentrically) so any micro-scratches will influence reading of the disc the least.

For the laser: some people recommend rubbing alcohol and a q-tip (and I've done that before). But I don't know if that's best since I don't know what the lens is made out of or if it has any coatings on it, and rubbing alcohol can dissolve some coatings. You can probably buy a special solution, but without that, water and a q-tip should be fine. Just be careful not to apply too much pressure; the lens is just suspended by tiny, bendy, wire filaments.

Sometimes laser/lens assemblies just go bad though and I don't think there's anything you can do besides replace the laser assembly. Idk which exact part fails or why.

Commando

Smash Rookie
The L button on my Gamecube controller is jammed. Is there a way I can fix that?

DRGN

Technowizard
The L button on my Gamecube controller is jammed. Is there a way I can fix that?
Depends on exactly what's wrong with it, but yeah, most likely pretty easily. Especially if you have a spare controller for parts.

It might just need cleaning.

If there are broken parts in there you might be able to get away with superglue. If not, you'll probably have to get those spare parts.

Commando

Smash Rookie
Depends on exactly what's wrong with it, but yeah, most likely pretty easily. Especially if you have a spare controller for parts.

It might just need cleaning.

If there are broken parts in there you might be able to get away with superglue. If not, you'll probably have to get those spare parts.
Well, I have to press the L button really hard, making dodging a pain, so now I have to use the R button to dodge to the left side as well as the right, which feels really weird. The cover on the analog stick has also been bitten off by my brother (I don't know why he had the urge to do that). That hasn't caused any problems except sometimes my character wouldn't jump or it would keep going forward, but then I would just reset my controller and everything would work fine again.

Maybe I'll just buy a new controller. I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened before because I've been using this controller for 9 years and have had no issues with it until recently. I should probably just be glad it lasted this long.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
..Yeah I'd buy a new controller. There are times when spending 15$ is just easier than opening it up, cleaning and replacing stuff. You could order them online or, at least in my case, you can find brand new/ used controllers at flea markets. Gaming stores might have them but don't count on every single one having a bunch lying around.

Also, welcome to smashboards. I'm getting the feeling you don't play competitively, I could be wrong and you could correct me, but if I'm right you might be able to find people in your area here to play with and there's tonnes of information on how to step up your game. Questions are always encouraged.

Commando

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I'll just buy 2 new controllers.

I don't play competitively, but I look up videos and guides on how to use certain techniques, which makes me more competitive than my friends.

:phone:

DRGN

Technowizard
Well, I have to press the L button really hard....
So, it still moves all the way, but it's like you're pressing it down through syrup? Sounds like it's just dirty then.

..Yeah I'd buy a new controller. There are times when spending 15$ is just easier than opening it up, cleaning and replacing stuff. You could order them online or, at least in my case, you can find brand new/ used controllers at flea markets. Gaming stores might have them but don't count on every single one having a bunch lying around.

Also, welcome to smashboards. I'm getting the feeling you don't play competitively, I could be wrong and you could correct me, but if I'm right you might be able to find people in your area here to play with and there's tonnes of information on how to step up your game. Questions are always encouraged.
It's been many years since I've seen a new one in a store or flea market! :o And personally I'm afraid to gamble with buying a used stick. Usually the ones I see are pretty questionable.

At least you can still buy new ones online though, thankfully. Even though I personally haven't.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
Does reseting the control damage it in any way? I've got an old control and sometimes the L button or well anything else really just starts getting buggy and i reset it, doesn't happen often but when it does i just reset, does reseting damage it in the long run? or after you've used to many times?

Life

Smash Hero
Reset as in holding LRStart? AFAIK it shouldn't do anything, just makes the game ignore the controller for a moment so that when you release it, it recalibrates the sticks and shoulder buttons.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
@drgn I know I was surprised but they were in the box and sealed. I was still sketchy and didn't buy them but I might go back, what's 5 bucks?

Anyways, do the monitors that hook up to the gcn lag? You know the one for portable gcn playing?

:phone:

DRGN

Technowizard
Oh really? Even the official ones? (Wait, are there non-official ones? There are, aren't there?) Anyway, I'm kinda surprised. Bummer.

When those are connected do they allow you to start up games in progressive mode? Seems like they should. In which case I'd be even more surprised to see lag.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Is there a difference in lag from a wii vs. cube, all other variables kept the same?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
they both would lag equally since both of them only support up to 480p as the highest resolution.

DRGN

Technowizard
Yeah, what VietGeek said. If you're considering them outputting the same type of signal. That's important if you want to make this info practical and your tv is a flat screen where you'd definitely want use component (for that 480p) to avoid post-processing lag (deinterlacing). Because component output is really rare for GameCube (costing ~$100), but really easy to get for Wii (~$5).

Mad J

Smash Cadet
Hey guys got a different kind of question for ya.

Its about twitch and streaming. I have an account with twitch, i have the x split program, but for some reason when I try to retrieve the Key from twitch to start up the stream it says "There was an error retrieving your stream key". All my capture cables are connected too, I am currently using Dazzle.

I've tried different computers and it DOES seem to work. So I know its something to do with my laptop. But I have no idea where to start. Its a brand new computer not even a year old.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
So the first post needs to be updated.
The Nintendo store no longer sells GC controllers, and Play Asia seems to be sold out. Does anyone know of any other place to order brand new GC controllers?

CableCho57

Smash Lord
amazon. But it's hella expensive, like 50 dollars I think

you can always roll your dice and buy a used one on a amazon. Sometimes you get a controller broken in just right

Xyzz

Smash Champion
There's some local stuff like gamestop or private sellers selling used ones. Big plus: You can ask the seller and test those to see if they still work fine or have gotten too much tough love from mario party playing.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
What are my options for streaming audio through xsplit using a dazzle? Virtual audio cable is $35 and is there any other way other than to pirate it?

Top Bottom