• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official South Carolina Thread

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
yeah, pools are small round robin groups that seed a bracket.

i thought one of you guys at the last tourney had tio? i'm surprised it wasn't used for this.

i'm a little confused how a bracket was made where butch avoided the whole ranking...the point of having a ranking is so you know how to seed the bracket (if you don't use pools to do so, that is). if your two best players from the ranking weren't on opposite sides of the bracket, then...why did you have a ranking?

i'm not attacking you guys about this, but I do believe if i was on the ranking and just saw 40 dollars get paid to butch who didn't have to fight anyone to give his ranking more than 14th place, I would be asking the same question.

edit: yeah, normal situation, you have ranked people playing nonranked people, basically. but tio has a "skill" thing, where you can put a level of 1-10 for skill, and then it'll seed the bracket by that value, so your two best players don't play until the end, in theory. things of that sort.

CRAXalfie

Smash Cadet
yeah, pools are small round robin groups that seed a bracket.

i thought one of you guys at the last tourney had tio? i'm surprised it wasn't used for this.

i'm a little confused how a bracket was made where butch avoided the whole ranking...the point of having a ranking is so you know how to seed the bracket (if you don't use pools to do so, that is). if your two best players from the ranking weren't on opposite sides of the bracket, then...why did you have a ranking?

i'm not attacking you guys about this, but I do believe if i was on the ranking and just saw 40 dollars get paid to butch who didn't have to fight anyone to give his ranking more than 14th place, I would be asking the same question.

edit: yeah, normal situation, you have ranked people playing nonranked people, basically. but tio has a "skill" thing, where you can put a level of 1-10 for skill, and then it'll seed the bracket by that value, so your two best players don't play until the end, in theory. things of that sort.
No offense taken. What you said is totally true. Rankings are more accurate now and it'll be more useful for sure.

We ended using bracket maker and seeding wasn't used. Match ups were purely random, with a draw of a number.

Definitely wasn't prepared enough and that'll change in the future tournaments. There's always a first, I'll be downloading tio now.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
yeah, tio is reeeeaaaallly good with this kind of thing. I actually thought the last tournament (you guys' real first one :p) was run rather well.

regardless, it's really good to hear about this turnout. i look forward to the next tournament, and hopefully i can make it down for it. it seems like good times were had, and a lot was learned, and people wanna keep playing, and that's what really matters.

SaiXander

Smash Apprentice
Augusta/Charleston, South Carolina, basically.
We've laid a foundation across South Carolina.

Now, it is time to build up from there.

It seems our strong points are definitely Clemson/Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston, so we should focus on these areas for tournaments. Centralizing "location" will make organizing easier. I think Dill mentioned a rotation idea, and I think I like the sound of that.

The efforts that I have witnessed so far from two tournaments (Goose Creek and Clemson) have been great, and there is no doubt we can do better.

Since Spencer seemed extremely eager to host the next tournament in Columbia, I have comments I'd like to make.

1) We definitely, definitely, definitely, need several set ups. I don't know what sort of venue or home you have in mind for us, but hopefully it can provide comfortable space for several set ups -and- then some for viewers.

Having more spots for tournament matches = more games = less time. Time is extremely valuable and it cannot be taken for granted. Singles for 20 people took more than four and a half hours with the methods we used at Clemson, and that simply isn't acceptable for the fair and speedy trials of skill we ought to have, especially if we want to do doubles as well.

2) We must network well. Let's get those numbers and facebook connections to ensure we effectively manage the issue of players who stubbornly choose not use SWF.

We should probably start a SC Melee group, even. Brawl can manage itself if it so chooses.

3) Related to time, the use of the setups should be expedited. We should have either an aggressive Herald or TO that will get players to their matches in a timely manner, or a system in place that puts that responsibility on the player to get to their matches promptly. Waiting on a match for five-fifteen minutes because someone is simply not present without alerting the TO or their next opponent causes an incredibly lengthy delay, that if compounded by multiple events, wastes a hell of a lot of time.

A five-minute "no-show forfeit" isn't beyond question.

For now, that's my three cents on the organizational slate.

Besides that, I leave with this:

I'm bringing salt packets to the next tournament.

Niceness

Smash Cadet
and ill be bringing my reading glasses....

even though butch did not get to play any ranked players in the tournament do not let that fool you into to thinking he a joke.

before the power outage he was able to beat my sheik twice on FD(i think only 1 other person was able to do that and that was in the sheik dido i had at the start)

either way i enjoyed playing all the "ranked" players i did get a chance to face and i hope i get chance to play with the cola crew again...at least before the next one.

remember stupid dash>dash dance

CRAXalfie

Smash Cadet
We've laid a foundation across South Carolina.

Now, it is time to build up from there.

It seems our strong points are definitely Clemson/Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston, so we should focus on these areas for tournaments. Centralizing "location" will make organizing easier. I think Dill mentioned a rotation idea, and I think I like the sound of that.

The efforts that I have witnessed so far from two tournaments (Goose Creek and Clemson) have been great, and there is no doubt we can do better.

Since Spencer seemed extremely eager to host the next tournament in Columbia, I have comments I'd like to make.

1) We definitely, definitely, definitely, need several set ups. I don't know what sort of venue or home you have in mind for us, but hopefully it can provide comfortable space for several set ups -and- then some for viewers.

Having more spots for tournament matches = more games = less time. Time is extremely valuable and it cannot be taken for granted. Singles for 20 people took more than four and a half hours with the methods we used at Clemson, and that simply isn't acceptable for the fair and speedy trials of skill we ought to have, especially if we want to do doubles as well.

2) We must network well. Let's get those numbers and facebook connections to ensure we effectively manage the issue of players who stubbornly choose not use SWF.

We should probably start a SC Melee group, even. Brawl can manage itself if it so chooses.

3) Related to time, the use of the setups should be expedited. We should have either an aggressive Herald or TO that will get players to their matches in a timely manner, or a system in place that puts that responsibility on the player to get to their matches promptly. Waiting on a match for five-fifteen minutes because someone is simply not present without alerting the TO or their next opponent causes an incredibly lengthy delay, that if compounded by multiple events, wastes a hell of a lot of time.

A five-minute "no-show forfeit" isn't beyond question.

For now, that's my three cents on the organizational slate.

Besides that, I leave with this:

Thanks for the suggestions bro. Definitely appreciate the 3 cents.

Unfortunately, a party was being run and the ACC championship game was on the same day. Some of the people in our house had different priorities (some had guests over) and definitely weren't on point with being around during their match.

The problem about sets ups needed to be ran at the same time is definitely an issue. I didn't expect it to take this long and I certainly, tbh, didn't expect this much people to show up. Hopefully we'll have more space for more set ups in the near future. It seems like Brandon's house is like perfect in terms of space and set ups for sure. If I remember about the previous tournament, we had 3 tournament tv's and that ran pretty smoothly.

But I look forward to the next one. I'll definitely be a lot more prepared. I had exams all week and I didn't have time to do as much as I wanted. I couldn't even prepare the day before because I did a favor for a friend that needed a ride to Charlotte. That doesn't help that we barely slept and had to pick up the pieces and set up that morning. (Sorry about that Sai, haha)

In the end, all that matters is we had fun. I had way too much fun, even during the black out. I still never got to use my Marth against your Falco Sai. You won't knock me out next time! Btw, you still living in Charleston?

CRAXalfie

Smash Cadet
Someone who cant take a stock off me is number one ranked

awesome system
You mad?

Don't be a prick, he deserved his spot.

Show up and maybe your good enough to "fix" this 'awesome system'.

and ill be bringing my reading glasses....

even though butch did not get to play any ranked players in the tournament do not let that fool you into to thinking he a joke.

before the power outage he was able to beat my sheik twice on FD(i think only 1 other person was able to do that and that was in the sheik dido i had at the start)

either way i enjoyed playing all the "ranked" players i did get a chance to face and i hope i get chance to play with the cola crew again...at least before the next one.

remember stupid dash>dash dance
Butch is definitely a good player, he just had an easier path to get where he ended and I'm not mad at all. A lot of us aren't too far from each other in skill level and it should get really interesting at the next tournament. I'm pretty sure last night you've played a good amount of friendlies with Spencer and Brandon. It just sucks that I never got to play you nor Butch.

But damn, hosting a tournament and a party is stressful as hell. Glad it's someone else's turn.

Niceness

Smash Cadet
Someone who cant take a stock off me is number one ranked

awesome system
really? i cant take a stock off you wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.....................

i remembered 2 stocking your marth before in a tournament with my sheik before in the last tournament i actually went to(you'll probably be like "i dont remember that") and that was like years ago when i wasnt pulling sheik out full time but im happy to see you still believe your "the unbeatable s***". when i buy my next car i might even have to come find your rusty *** and beat sense into you....;)

either way im ready to take on you yay and who ever else you can find in SC cuz im going for the title this time and i actually might practice....yes i know shocking...btw does everyone in SC love falco? cuz i do know how to bake a mean bird.

sidenote cough igotyay'smoney cough

Niceness

Smash Cadet
But sadly.. we play other games.
1. i dont know you

2. im tired of you NC *******s always trying to bring SC down and Austin you might as well b with them

3. i hope by "other games" you dont mean just brawl:glare: cuz what ever it is im sure if i cant beat you in it someone in my crew can

god yall make wanna play take game seriously again

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
whoa etwist is your problem in south carolina.

second, i'm the only NC person in this thread, and i'm the one who sort of showed the goose creek crew the ropes (though all credit goes to brandon for hosting that tournament, and all of you guys for continuing playing). if you think i'm bringing you guys down, then you must be misinterpreting my posts, or you just mad for no reason.

relax.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
1. i dont know you

2. im tired of you NC *******s always trying to bring SC down and Austin you might as well b with them

3. i hope by "other games" you dont mean just brawl:glare: cuz what ever it is im sure if i cant beat you in it someone in my crew can

god yall make wanna play take game seriously again
*****, I'm in SC, down the street from Myrtle, see me.

Other games means FGs, and I'm not some scrub. Trust me. Been playin GGAC, MvC2, and VS for years. If someone in your crew even plays those games. See me. I'm aight at Marvel 3, MK9, BBCS2, and AE but I'm not really serious with em.

I don't play Brawl. You're underrating me son lol. I'm from MD/VA. Believe me, I'm a lot better than you think. I'm not the best (Austins still better.. Yay and ESAM are way better) but I think I'm a solid 4th.

Niceness

Smash Cadet
sorry my bad RC got me fired up and then i went alittle ham i do appreciate all the work you've been doing blackchris. i do understand that most of you dont know the newer players and i understand the only way we're going to be taken seriously is by decimating everyone hopes and dreams.

you might know some of the cola crew keyon, jams legs, and what not but we mostly play BB, GG, and Marvel. ill be happy to also play/slay who in some halo or mw3

*checks stoner flag* yup still waving

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Yea i see em on SRK but i dont have ANY way of getting anywhere.. When i get this damn car yall will be seein me.. Even if i lose idc. More learning for me.

:phone:

SaiXander

Smash Apprentice
Etwist just likes to make everyone mad anyway.

@Alfie - Nah, I finished my orders in Charleston in September so I'm back home in Augusta, but I still make a monthly trip down to Charleston for my duty weekends.

I was a little disappointed that you didn't bring out your Marth. I know it is sometimes to a player's advantage to use something less familiar to the enemy, but it's not so useful when you aren't entirely sure how to use it yourself.

Butch definitely isn't a bad player, but I would like to say that, as I did against Austin/TRC, I managed to scrape victory in a match using Mewtwo. All johns aside, a win is a win.

I look forward to playing everyone again, or for the first time in the case of a few players that I just missed out on. Hopefully, that will happen before the new year, though it wouldn't come as a shock if that simply wasn't possible.

Maybe I'll be able to bring another body or two, depending on how recruiting is going out here.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Wow Daniel.

I haven't played serious against you in maybe 6 years because you were always a joke. Do you KNOW how easy it was for me to beat you and Terrence? Do you know the term "sandbagging"? See this thing happens when you're actually good at the game, when people take a match off you when you don't care, and then they think "yeah, I can beat dat guyz if I tried". Dude please you were the guy who ****ing up B spammed with Link and thought it was a legit strat. Just cause you learned a non scrub character doesn't mean you have what it takes.

Throw the money down son, 200 dollar money match 3/5 tourney rules? Lessen the amount if you must. I'm sure that much weed is expensive.

Come at me Mr. "best in state".

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Oh and CRAZAALIFE or whatever the ****, you have no idea what you're talking about and have no business running a power ranking. All the best players don't even give a **** (EverlastingYay, Mott come to mind) PR tend to be from someone trusted or well versed in the community, or by a panel, like other states.

and the worst part is hosting a scrub tournament the same time as Tipped Off 7 in Georgia. Get your **** together.

Your stupid little system is ridiculous. Don't think you're the first one to do this, you're like the seventh guy who's come through here trying to make **** look all official and then once everyone gets dominated repeatedly by someone who actually knows how to play the game, you all eventually quit, and that's that.

If you enjoy your little game of make pretend then continue with your unofficial rankings.

Accepting all money matches from everyone who entered that tournament.

SaiXander

Smash Apprentice
< rant> I, for one, have nothing against Alfie running the PR. The system is not the best, I'd say, but it's something that can easily be worked on as the SC Melee community continues to grow and be active enough to post anything at all about playing here.

A community does exist, as it were, and if the majority of us that attended have no issues, for the time being, with Aflie running PR for SC Melee, that's the community standing. That can easily change based on community responses to things happening, but the case at present stands to say that no problem exists.

A panel or whatever isn't going to pop up from nowhere if it isn't even involved in our community, and unless the 20 players from various regions of South Carolina simply do not count as Melee players, regardless of skill, what we have decided or allowed is what our community has.

The timing of the tournament was unfortunate. That was just a mistake that 20 players decided to overlook in preference, whether of opportunity or convenience, for the meet at Clemson this past weekend.

It's a known human fallacy to believe that if something is not perfect, that means it's not worth doing. Humans are well known to have some really stupid thought processes sometimes, but we're capable of brilliant thoughts, too.

We don't necessarily need PR, but it's an objective, if faulty, glance at who is better than X and worse than Y. Not perfect, but it serves a purpose greater than "I am on this throne and you are merely fluffing my jester's butler".

Alfie's naturally not the first person to try to make a ranking system. I, for one, am glad anyone is doing it. It looks official enough, which is nice. Once we all get dominated repeatedly be someone who actually knows how to play the game, as you say, that is also not an insufferable punk, maybe then we'll have a surge of skill gains across the board.

BlackChris didn't come down to Goose Creek, talk ****, wreck face, and leave without making friends and leaving a generally good impression. I'm eager to meet him again and play against him while fully aware that his skill is greater than mine, at least from that time. I may be unique in that mindset, but I like to doubt it.

< /rant of sorts>

Niceness

Smash Cadet
i love how everyone got super defensive there and started bus'n rounds

do i scare you?

last words on this topic: if you care so much come to the tournaments in state and show some SC pride instead of going unnecessarily ham on your upcoming competition...ill see you in the fray

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Daniel, where's my money match?

and Sai, your reasoning is sound and I got no beef - just I've seen this idea come up and fall flat too many times to believe in it personally. It is not my place to be the jerk coming in saying you can't do this or that, I mean, if they want a ranking for themselves by all means do whatever.

Apologies for being rude to our new players - the power ranking thing is a very old and proven way to "wake the dragon" so to speak. I've been trying to not play this game as much as possible and I fully contradict myself by even caring about any of this.

Except you Daniel.
You're going to have the worst matches of your life against me.

Niceness

Smash Cadet
you can beg for a money match as much as you want bruh...as far as things stand between you and me...its gonna cost you at least 10$ to plug your controller into the same cube as me

no love only hate from people i once respected its coo still got mad love for my SC brothers

btw they dont need your person permission to start a new ranking;they can put me at the bottom if you want to...i really dont give a **** and i told them that after the tournament was over i just wanna play but i never said i was better than anyone yet i....know what im BEST IN THE SOUTH COME AT ME BRO SWAG "b**** call me R KELLY umma f*** her in the a** swag!!!!"

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I heard "Johnsjohnsjohnsjohns I ignored your MM johnsjohnsjohns"

EXCEPT THAT **** SO I CAN GET HYPE.

edit: SWAG JERRY RICE, I THINK I'M JERRY RICE

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
"I'm the best"
"money match?"
"awww naw dude BUT I'M DA BEST"

what a coward you are.

@Eric my god dude you have no idea who this guy is. Last time I saw him he actually thought using bombs to cancel his up B with Link so he could do multiple spin attacks was legit.

Niceness

Smash Cadet
Im the best b**** check the rank swag back off my **** its too much for you to contain DIDNT I TELL YOU ITS 10$ FOR ME TO EVEN CONSIDER YOU ON MY LEVEL I CAN GIVE YOU MY PALPAY

I MIGHT BE ABLE TO HIT YOU BACK YOU AFTER IM DONE F***ING UP ALL THESE B****ES SWAG

CFMR

Smash Cadet
so these guys from clemson, would you be interested in playing a captain falcon sometime in the future. i'm in greenwood, sc until january. its only like an hour and a half drive. do you clemson people go to school there?

Top Bottom