• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official R.O.B. Boards Video Thread

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Haha, i have too many of those matchups. Wario? nope XD

Favourite high tier matchup with rob is definetely IC though

8Bitman

Smash Master
Mister Eric can you tell me your crack dealer?

I don't know how it's possible to like the Snake and especially MK MU......

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Well, I do play like I'm on crack.
I actually had my opponent scream out "dis n!gg* is on crack!" once in a bracket match.

As for Snake and MK, both chars keep me very active and precise on reads. I like that. They better me as a player each and every time I play against them. And ****** Snake offstage and getting creative about it is super fun for me. I've made 3 stock come-backs in hyped matches just because of how much of a dominance ROB has offstage when compared to Snake.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Game 3 from a MM I had with MegaRobMan last weekend. www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRdkvM9S8jg

Looking for critique, if you guys don't mind. :) After watching it, I already notice I need to not try to do fancy things that make me waste fuel and die, and I need to throw out less attacks, I was just nairing all over the place toward the end.

8Bitman

Smash Master
OMFG A MOD DOUBLE POSTED! O-o

Also, MK is dumb, stop trying. I gave up after I came to the realization that he is getting banned. Then I got mad when people said they weren't going to use the Unity Rule set.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
[yt]Yr3sSFCB5Yc[/yt]

I tried

It's a shame, I thought I played really really well :/
other than working on your b-reversals, and mixing up your recovery just a bit, i am liking what I see.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
thx, my next tourney is on the 17th. was falling out of it for a bit but kind of wanting to start actually practicing again lol

AnseLm

Smash Rookie
I noticed that the more "serious" I get during the MU the worse I do because I'm trying hard to get that advantage. But if I sit back a bit and play safe I seem to passively generate an advantage.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Playing like you don't give a f**k seems to be the best option

:phone:

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I only watched the first match but ouch.

Ok, stingers let me explain to you some things in the lucas MU.

1.) Here's the progression of the projectile metagame ususally.

Psymagnet beats laser.
Gyro beats Psymagnet.
PK Fire beats Gyro.
Laser beats PK fire.

The game gets most favorable when he starts spamming PK fire. Just run in and PS all of them. He can't reliably punish your PS because his tether grab is aweful. If he starts grabbing you, let him get confortable spamming grab and jump and nair him. DON'T SPOTDODGE, his smashes are way too powerful to provide very good risk vs return most of the time. What he'll try to do is to pressure your shield with moves, back up and start lasering again. Be stingy with lasers and spam gyro. Bait with gyro cancels and hit him with bairs.

2.) Against the tyr combo (Dair > Dtilt Jablock > Fsmash, actually upsmash) SDI up and away during Dair. You can escape the 4-5 hit all together, but even if you mess up that last hit won't spike and force getup. He wants to use Dair a specific height every time, uptilt and upsmash can beat dair if you space them well. You challange him in the air and keep getting hit by dair, just walk away and laser or get underneath and uptilt.

3.) Camp the ledge. You could have played way gayer on the ledge.

Yeah now i've watched the 2nd and 3rd game and you realize his OoS options are ***. But the PK thunders dude... he isn't ness you don't gimp him by running into them.

EDIT: Also, you should go to vengence, it will be a good time with 70+ attendance. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=318385&page=102

8Bitman

Smash Master
Yeah I agree with SneakyTaco. I watched the set last night before I went to sleep, so I won't go into as much detail as him. But I just wanted to point out one MAJOR problem I noticed in your play style.

I talked about it before but I don't think anyone ever caught it or talked about it. You ditch your Gyro way too fast. Every single time you get a Gyro in your hands, you throw it away almost instantly. I couldn't count one instance in the entire set that you were grounded and had a Gyro in your hand for longer than 4 or 5 Seconds. You threw it or glide tossed seconds after you had the chance to do so.

Especially against characters like Lucas you need to play patient. He can't kill you from far away, nor can he rack up any % from a distance. His PK Fire sucks if you shoot your Gyro at it or PS it. Also his Up-B is a terrible projectile because you can punish it from any distance because of our Gyro/Laser, or even run up to him if we have the chance.

You should never be the one to approach in the MU, only if we are to punish them, we have no reason to. I mention all of this because our Gyro is the only thing we can combo with when we punish. Throwing it away because you THOUGHT it would come in contact with him gives you no incentive to guarantee yourself combos or a leading %. Even if the Gyro came in contact with him two things could occur:

1.) He Shields it, punishes you heavily, and now you either lost the lead (phucking with you mentally now as well.) or allowed your opponent to increase their lead (giving them more confidence.).

2.) You actually do hit him with the Gyro, what now, you Glide Tossed before you could think of a logical combo or move to follow up with to not only increase your % lead but leave yourself in a much better situation than they afterwards (maybe you're grounded, and they're airborne, etc.).

TLDR: All this is meant to tell you is, please wait and think of options before you blindly attack just because you had the advantage in a situation. Brawl is a game where you can have the advantage and lead one second, and get gimped due to idiocy the next. I want all of us R.O.B's to do better in tourneys, become more well known, actually win tourneys, consistently and become better players overall. We can't do that if we don't think first.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I'll see what I can do.

Ok, first thing I'm noticing is that you need to mix up your recovery and getting back to the stage in general. A good thing to know how to do is Gyrobouncing. Basically you momentum-reverse your D-Special and then press shield immediately to cancel the charging. It forces you to face and move in the opposite direction you were in. Marth isn't fast enough in the air to keep up with R.O.B. gyrobouncing all over the place, which will force him to follow you from the ground where he can only threaten you with U-tilt and F-Smash. Or like, short-hop aerials, I guess.
When you're on the ledge, do your best to place a gyro about one character length away from the edge and just let it sit there. That's the exact range Marth has to be at to pressure you properly and it really pisses people off if they don't know how to deal with it. Input is something like ledgehop > start charging > wait half a second > fire.
Don't fire a Gyro if Marth is at any relatively close distance from you. At like 2:10 you fired one and he just jumped over it and Fair'd you.
You can pick up your Gyro from the ground with Dash Attack.
Dash Attack > U-Tilt works, not Dash Attack > U-Smash.
Don't use Nair until your opponent is at well over 100%, lol. It's one of our only kill moves and it's too slow to be used as anything else, really.
As fun as it is to use, don't Roflcopter.
Wtf was that full hop reverse gyro fire at like 3:15? Lol.

Only have time to watch the first half or so, hope that was helpful.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I've been trying to get that gyrobounce cancel down, I just have difficulty timing the cancel, I end up airdodging

The gyro on the ledge is smart, I just need to learn the timing for it.

When I play against my close friends like this guy, I end up getting really cocky, so some of those dumb moves were just me being an a******. (Like the roflcopter, even though I just used it to reflect my own gyro back, I knew he was going to throw it)

I usually dash attack > utilt, I think I just did it too quickly at that time.

Thanks for the critique!

Bees!

Smash Ace
Team Winners Finals vs MJG and Lux
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ilhKRPi5A&feature=g-all-u
Teams Grand Finals. Me and Fishbait are Seven Inches Soft XD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaWEx_c7gQI&feature=g-all-u
Also me vs MJG in Winners Semis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A23URiwqGeQ
I have no clue what to do vs Diddy. And he perfect shielded everything I did just about.

I would appreciate any feedback for dealing with Diddy Kong as well as what to do vs Diddy. Also critique of what I need to work on.

Top Bottom