• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official R.O.B. Boards Video Thread

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
Haha IxisNaugus has no faith or belief in R.O.B whatsoever tells me to stop wasting my time like 90% of the time we are around each other and talking about characters. Whereas I know R.O.B has his flaws and they ARE VERY NOTABLE, I do feel R.O.B can be very damaging it just takes alot of time, effort, trial and error.

Anaky is a great marth though I do believe that was not one of his better performances and with that belief it will make me stronger for when I play him again in tournament. I think I'm a decent R.O.B but I know I can go further than where I'm at right now.

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
I don't feel R.O.B is that bad of a character either. Thanks Stingers, I plan on improving too R.O.B is a big part of game I use multiple characters but R.O.B usually makes a tourny appearance used him the most last time around.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hey J. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. But when college kicks my rear, it kicks it pretty hard. I just finished an exam that was absorbing my week, so I actually planned on reanalyzing the vid you sent me about a month ago. I'll get back to you, and a few others soon on what I think about your robots<3

I don't feel R.O.B is that bad of a character either. Thanks Stingers, I plan on improving too R.O.B is a big part of game I use multiple characters but R.O.B usually makes a tourny appearance used him the most last time around.
ROB has the potential to be really good imo. he just isn't easy to use<3 takes work.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
How's that community combo vid coming along? I'd like to send a clip or two of me ****** with ROB.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Hi R.O.B boards I have a set I would like reviewed its a lil old by now (2 months or so ) but been working on somethings would like some input as to what I'm doing that is good, what I could be doing and what I should stop doing completely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihzcuso04UI

please skip to 10:15 for R.O.B

hope people can and want to give me advice.
lol miller what are you doing here!
guys say hi to my team partner :B

also thats me at 0.05 declaring he is now dissapearing, sad times

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
Hey J. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. But when college kicks my rear, it kicks it pretty hard. I just finished an exam that was absorbing my week, so I actually planned on reanalyzing the vid you sent me about a month ago. I'll get back to you, and a few others soon on what I think about your robots<3

ROB has the potential to be really good imo. he just isn't easy to use<3 takes work.
It's ok man I figured something had you pinned down, so decided to post here which is probably what I should have done in the first place. Getting collective help and multiple opinions should be helpful in the long run, and yeah college uni can and will kick any person rear and enjoy doing it too... :/

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
lol miller what are you doing here!
guys say hi to my team partner :B

also thats me at 0.05 declaring he is now dissapearing, sad times
"!" spotted :p
hey man I was serious when I decided I wanted to get better, been doing well without really posting or viewing too much of the boards. Though should not hurt to get advice or analysis from those who are experinced :D

Sorry just realised I did a double post... gonna need to get used to replying to stuff in one go.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
"!" spotted :p
hey man I was serious when I decided I wanted to get better, been doing well without really posting or viewing too much of the boards. Though should not hurt to get advice or analysis from those who are experinced :D

Sorry just realised I did a double post... gonna need to get used to replying to stuff in one go.
good man, I'm paying for your entry so god damnit youd better win XD
and go revive the luigi boards, they need it.
and yeah, its a shame i didnt get to watch this match in person, i was busy being salty at the buddy who came along, didnt even compete and then demanded we left so he could get to church early in the morning :(

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
good man, I'm paying for your entry so god damnit youd better win XD
and go revive the luigi boards, they need it.
and yeah, its a shame i didnt get to watch this match in person, i was busy being salty at the buddy who came along, didnt even compete and then demanded we left so he could get to church early in the morning :(
I'll trying to go as far as possible. If a chance at winning becomes a reality I'll do my best. Hmmm not sure how to attempt to revive boards specially when to them I would appear to be some random who in their eyes doesn't know what he would be talking about.

Yeah that did suck that you were not there to even out the commentary just meant R.O.B took a verbal battering. lol

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I'll trying to go as far as possible. If a chance at winning becomes a reality I'll do my best. Hmmm not sure how to attempt to revive boards specially when to them I would appear to be some random who in their eyes doesn't know what he would be talking about.

Yeah that did suck that you were not there to even out the commentary just meant R.O.B took a verbal battering. lol
If you win i will be so hyped. cause it means you can probably carry my sorry *** in doubles too XD
But just go and post in the social for starters, just go tell them that you're the best luigi in europe, seeing as you're also the only one they will have no arguements XD if they do then just give them a vid XD

8Bitman

Smash Master
Oh god that commentator pissed me off.

You did good with R.O.B, only problem is that you were awful at punishing, you tried to be so calm when punishing that you messed most of them up. Like when he would Up-B, and you would wait for him to fall.... Majority of the time he was at a low %, just jump and Uair, it racks up sooo much %. You messed up a grab and the other punishes you chose were bad options, like Fairing too late, and attacking and putting yourself in a worse position than him.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
see im actually taking notes too because my rob takes many traits from millers rob XD
and ill tell ixis to not eat the mic this time

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
Oh god that commentator pissed me off.

You did good with R.O.B, only problem is that you were awful at punishing, you tried to be so calm when punishing that you messed most of them up. Like when he would Up-B, and you would wait for him to fall.... Majority of the time he was at a low %, just jump and Uair, it racks up sooo much %. You messed up a grab and the other punishes you chose were bad options, like Fairing too late, and attacking and putting yourself in a worse position than him.
Yeah this is true I needed to read that, my punishing was pretty bad. Usually my issue is I go in too much. I wanted my game this time round to be about avoiding getting juggled for most part protecting myself, though with thinking so much about defensive I messed up basic stuff with offensive. Only time I punished sincerely well was lylat and that was after powershielding if I missed that punish I would have been truly upset with myself lol

I notice my fair won't beat out Marth's so no real need to throw it out like it will. I just have to keep a balanced head in general, jump up and uair is something I'm going to be doing though at low % is it possible for opponents to get underneath with good DI?

sneakytako

Smash Lord
We should go back to laughing at stingers.

But fiiiiiirst

You do too many pointless things when you are scared/behind.

I can review it if you want. I don't have time now, but tomorrow I will be online all day.
You just don't see how I approach the game. My general belief is that reacting to committed actions gives the best advantage in the game. My game revolves around baiting and making them feel stupid.

Roadhouse

8Bitman

Smash Master
Yeah this is true I needed to read that, my punishing was pretty bad. Usually my issue is I go in too much. I wanted my game this time round to be about avoiding getting juggled for most part protecting myself, though with thinking so much about defensive I messed up basic stuff with offensive. Only time I punished sincerely well was lylat and that was after powershielding if I missed that punish I would have been truly upset with myself lol

I notice my fair won't beat out Marth's so no real need to throw it out like it will. I just have to keep a balanced head in general, jump up and uair is something I'm going to be doing though at low % is it possible for opponents to get underneath with good DI?
I am pretty sure that CAN happen, but I have never seen it done, and even if, you aren't full hopping, just a short hop so you will land and be able to shield before them.

We should go back to laughing at stingers.

But fiiiiiirst

You just don't see how I approach the game. My general belief is that reacting to committed actions gives the best advantage in the game. My game revolves around baiting and making them feel stupid.

Roadhouse
I understand that and it works for you. But there were times that you jumped in the air, and did nothing, just to fall back down. When you could have took out a Gyro or read an airdodge to land. And gained more ground control.

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
I am pretty sure that CAN happen, but I have never seen it done, and even if, you aren't full hopping, just a short hop so you will land and be able to shield before them.

I understand that and it works for you. But there were times that you jumped in the air, and did nothing, just to fall back down. When you could have took out a Gyro or read an airdodge to land. And gained more ground control.
Yeah I definitely see what you mean. Without even having to look at match again I did alot of empty jumping for no real reason even when I was under no real threat yet. Sorry it took me awhile to reply back, what I can do now is work on being solid both defensively and offensively. For some reason I felt waiting for him to come down would give me opportunities for max damage but uair is better at low percentage and didn't help I missed a majority.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
J.Miller's Critique

General stuff

You showed good fundamentals such as good spacing, stutter stepped smashes, pivot grabs, angled forward smashes.
You need to space f-tilt more. I noticed how you would choose to go in at Marth's shield with a fair and it usually left you getting punished. If you're going to go in on someone's shield, at least from the air, you best either be sure that you can outspace their punish or be a bit mindgamey about it as in maybe air dodging behind them into a downsmash.
Here's a tip when recovering high, especially if you are struggling with b-reversals. Turn your back towards the stage when you recover and be flying towards the stage. When your opponent begins to chase your direction, immediately spam back airs while fast falling. This will generally put you in a good position to recover.

Time specific

10:20 - You have the right mindset at trying to get under Marth when he fair's your shield, especially when it's poorly spaced. Well executed @ 18:36 though.

10:22 - Dash attack --> U-tilt. Very nice. After a low % u-tilt, you can still shadow his landing and punish it. Try to get into that mindset. Also, if they DI away from your initial dash attack, then you can usually charge a forward smash and let it eat through their air dodge. If they DI too far away tho, you may just have to settle with a d-tilt or if you're quick enough, perhaps another dash attack.

10:30 - 10:40+ - Try your best not to let Marth pressure you to the side of the stage. It's very easy for him to do and it just puts you on the ropes. Marth is good at that. So if you get one good GTFO move in, then follow up some if only just to get more stage control.

11:24~ - Altho you have the stock advantage, it's really hard to camp Marth imo. So, to me, you shouldn't be afraid of going inside of him and trying to fight him. I saw a lot of dodge rolls around this time, and let me tell you, he has one of the worst rolls in the game. You were just asking to be killed at that point. If you really feel the need to get away, perhaps a short hop airdodge away might work, or just simply run haha.

11:36: I know that spot dodge -> downsmash probably feels very nice and fluid to use, but don't execute the downsmash unless you know it's going to hit or you're just asking for it. Spotdodge to grab in this case would have been better. ROB doesn't have a load of options so you must consider them wisely.

11:46 - When recovering, either high or low works against Marth, going right for him isn't really a good idea especially at kill %. If you recover low, go to the ledge and work from there. If you recover high, work with b-reversals, backairs and such to juke a landing.

12:44 +12:46 + 12:50 +12:57 - You need to try and mix up your landings a bit instead of airdodging into the ground. Whether it's spacing a landing with bair or what have you, try something different. If you are going to airdodge into the ground, at least make sure it's fast fallen or timed well.

13:10 - At this point, you need to edgeguard the piss out of him. I would have done it with a b-reversed up+b and then if I grabbed the ledge too soon, timed a back air off the ledge which can easily beat Marth's up+b.

15:23 - NEVER and I mean NEVER blow your second jump like that. I know it's common knowledge and you may not think you'd need it with ROB, but trust me you do.

15:25 - Too risky, just fly under the stage. Or, if you had your second jump, you could of jump+air dodged back to the stage. I know you made it back okay, but generally...you shouldn't have.

16:00 - If you watch closely, Anaky uses his second jump. Knowing that, punishing his landing is more crucial than ever since one, it can kill him easier, and two, it should be easier to know where he's going and what options he has.

17:05 - Go to the ledge man. Force him into fewer options. If he up+b's onto the stage, then punish it. If he tries to space an up+b onto the ledge, then back air him for it.

17:17 - Good grab. You can do that to dancing blade every time if he goes too many hits in on your shield. Keep that in mind.

18:50 - The nair here was actually fine if you had boosted it with up+b. If you had, as I'm sure you're aware that ROB can rise if he does a move out of his up+b by simply pressing up after the move is done [you showed me you can do it at 19:58, so try doing it to mindgame your opponent], he would have whiffed his upsmash and you could have came down with a nair, bair or what have you.

20:00 Grab before the last swing comes out. Always works.
Your first stock - You lost so much % due to not mixing up your recovery. This is a good example as why it's always useful to have different approaches to everything and why I think b-reversals would help as well.
Good job maintaining your composure that stock tho.

21:32 - Stop running straight for the edge lol Such a bad position to be in. I used to do it a lot too so I know where you're coming from. Marth just kind of naturally puts us there, but don't help him more than you have to :p
Your second stock - You seemed to play pretty scared this stock and I think Anaky sensed that. A lot of % here was just lost on fundamental things such as attacking shield when you could have grabbed, airdodging too the ground, and poor recovery choices.

22:40 - Anaky has seen you airdodge into the ground so many times that he's starting to think ahead on it, good idea to switch it up here with a jump. Also, rising up+b's, as mentioned before, are really nice for this as well.
Your third stock - You seemed a little desperate for % here. It's hard not to be when victory is slowly slipping out of your fingers. If you got an attack, you kept trying to follow it up with another one I felt and ROB can't particularly do that. Especially not in the air. You have to be patient and get those reads after you hit them. Maybe appear to be aggressive and then back off. Try provoking airdodges. Make them play your game.

The Wrap Up​

That's about it. I hoped you enjoyed this thorough critique and I definitely hope you benefit from it. Your ROB shows a lot of potential in my opinion. You know how to be aggressive and you know how to play campy. The most troublesome thing to decide is when to do which. You pick that up the more you play. Not saying that what I suggest is particularly right, but this critique is how I would have tried to approach your given situations. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
I'm going to be doing though at low % is it possible for opponents to get underneath with good DI?
Even if so, it has never happened to me so it probably isn't practical that it will happen. I would personally say no though.
Only fair Marth if he fairs your shield, that's the only true way ROB can beat it out.
Fair him when you see fit, just not when he's grounded and shielding. It's still too good of a move to ignore. Even in this MU.

8Bitman

Smash Master
Yeah I definitely see what you mean. Without even having to look at match again I did alot of empty jumping for no real reason even when I was under no real threat yet. Sorry it took me awhile to reply back, what I can do now is work on being solid both defensively and offensively. For some reason I felt waiting for him to come down would give me opportunities for max damage but uair is better at low percentage and didn't help I missed a majority.
Yeah honestly, just stay calm in a match, because when R.O.B's get greedy and want to continue combo's we know won't work, is when they get punished/combo'd.

No one can hurt you if you're just chilling on the ground. =)

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
Mister Eric, thank you so much for that critique. I knew that what I had to wait for would be more than worth the wait. I started using b-reversal and wavebouncing particularly when I just wanna make it back as safe as possible or taking minimal damage.
Offensive wise I'll be trying to get in more practice with people though our community is pretty minimal and times are getting difficult for when some of my best training partners have to stop playing because of other commitments (I have to stop at times but not as severe) . What I will do is try and get more replays to show you and everyone here, we got alot of diversity here so there is alot of match ups I get to practice just some in particular like MK and DDD are unknown to me even now.
8 bit thanks for your input too, me as a player generally there are times I tend to get impatient it's only when I KNOW I HAVE too play with balanced that I won't make stupid agressive guesses the more I play I'll be looking to get rid of this problem that I do sometimes have. In tournament play I I have to work on now being as defensive but offensive when the opportunity TRULY arises.
I got a plan for this week, just hope my training partners will be free to train with.
Would like to upload more only issue I have is a bad capture device... I plan on being on here more as improving would be nice especially when playing might get even more difficult. I appreciate all the help I'm getting and will be getting.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
rob is cool
but wes hard to play
why is that?
Big bulky robot with many flaws you have to work around. I agree though, he is quite fun.

I got some videos saved on my Wii from my tournament last Saturday. I had to leave early, so I admit I was kinda rushing my pools matches, so I wasn't at 100%, but I'll still try to get them up for critique.

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
Watching Ocean's R.O.B is pretty inspriational at times. I enjoyed the matches I watched so far

TeeVee

Smash Lord
watching those matches was inspirational to you?

the rob vs diddy matchup is supposed to be 50 - 50
ocean is supposed to be the best rob in the world
suinoko isnt even top 10 diddys

suinoko won just about every one, easily. how is that inspirational to you guys? lol maybe im just an old grumpy man but i just really cant see how you can feel anything but whatever the word is for complete lack of faith in the character

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
I don't think it's even. That is just my opinion. I like how Ocean plays, he didn't have to win for it to be great to watch. Though there are matches he could have won but I'm used to seeing rob played in a way that tries to be too defensive and cautious I just really like how ocean plays rob is all.

8Bitman

Smash Master
I agree with TV in the fact that it wasn't inspirational.

But I agree with J Miller in the fact that it was good to watch and I most definitely feel that the MU is not Even, statistics can do what they want. But it aint making the Diddy MU seem easier than it is.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Last tournament I managed to scare IL's local Diddy to switch to Falco game 2, even though he beat me game 1. He said ROB scares him more than any other character when he plays Diddy. I was surprised.

Btw, I think it's even, tbh.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I'm on the fence about it. It's certainly one of his easier high tier matchups, alongside marth.
The thing that gets it for me is how prone we are when we trip, even moreso than other characters, the only other character who's getup from a trip is even close to being as bad as ours is G&W

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I've never felt the MU is 50:50
and I do find OCEAN's R.O.B. inspirational to watch.

8Bitman

Smash Master
I secondary GW... I love him. :3

If you guys read earlier he stated that he hated the MU.

Also the MU is bearable. I like it the most out of any other High Tier MU. But it isn't easy at all.

My two favorite High Tiers to fight are I.C's and Diddy. I never lose to I.C's.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
IC's and Falco are my favorite high tier MUs. I barely lose to Falcos now. I beat A rty in a best 3/5 MM yesterday after going down 0-2, where he 3-stocked me game 2, haha.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
No, I feel it's a bit in Diddy's favor.
But this could also be a "me" thing. This is just one MU I've always struggled with. Along with TL and maybe Shelda

Top Bottom