• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Quest 64(and related games) Thread. Poll update to include various notable hacks.

Which games is this series have you played?

• Quest 64(US, N64)

Votes: 16 94.1%
  • Holy Magic Century(UK, N64)

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Holy Magic Century(French, N64)

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Holy Magic Century(German, N64)

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Eletale Monsters(JP, N64)

• Quest RPG: Brian's Journey(US, Gameboy Color)

• Elemental Tale - Jack no Daibouken: Daimaou no Gyakushuu (JP, Game Boy Color)

• Quest Fantasy Challenge(US, Game Boy Color)

• Holy Magic Century(UK, Game Boy Color)

• Quest 64(Spanish, N64)

• Quest 64 Hard Mod(English, N64)

• Quest 64 Randomizer(English, N64)

• Total voters

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Quest64logo.png

Quest 64 was the first Nintendo 64 RPG created and released. While it was supposed to be the answer to Square Enix's Final Fantasy 7, instead it got rushed and released earlier. Naturally it was panned for not containing some basic stuff you'd expect, like equipment, and a currency system.

On the other hand, it was given praise for having excellent music, great enemy designs, and a robust battle system.

So far, only 5 basic games exist(and probably will stay that way beyond fangames, respectively).
  • Quest 64/Holy Magic Century: The US(and Spanish) and various European games.
  • Eletale Monsters: The Japanese N64 version, with quite a few updates(although it doesn't fix the lack of equipment or currency).
  • Quest RPG: Brian's Journey: The Gameboy Color remake, US version.
  • Elemental Tale - Jack no Daibouken: Daimaou no Gyakushuu, The Gameboy Color remake, Japanese version.
  • Quest: Fantasy Challenge/Holy Magic Century: A puzzle game that is a redeco of Mr. Do! using Quest assets, released only in the US and the UK.
So, discuss away~

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I had no idea there was that many different names for Quest...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I had no idea there was that many different names for Quest...
The fact it managed to get a spin-off game is surprising in itself. Redeco factor aside, it was actually more interesting than Mr. Do! by having multiple attack options(which can also be a good or bad thing, as some have extreme amounts of time between reloading your attack) and many different enemies. I do not know if Mr. Do! had actual bosses, but this game did.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I have to say Brian has a bit of a soft spot in my heart since I remember being so excited for Quest 64 as a kid. I remember I even preordered and got an oversized tshirt for my troubles. The game had some interesting elements to it, but nostalgia aside, I can't rightly say it was a good game. At least Quest 64. I have no idea about any of the other games.

Still Brian in smash would be so troll. Would that we could be so lucky. :joyful:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, even as it's one of my favorite games? I still consider it mediocre overall. Though the Japanese remake is a bit better, as is the Gameboy remake.

The only ones I don't own is the Japanese version of Brian's Journey, and both variations of Holy Magic Century. The GBC version seems kind of pointless since other than a title screen, it's the exact same game. And there's too many versions of Holy Magic Century in the UK to import them all. Though I'd like to play every version. Or at least be able to record all the data for my Wikia.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I’d love it if they remade it as a fully made game with all the things they planned, and an orchestrated OST.

They should call it Holy Magic Century in every version cause that is a cool name.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I’d love it if they remade it as a fully made game with all the things they planned, and an orchestrated OST.

They should call it Holy Magic Century in every version cause that is a cool name.
Or maybe its beta name, Holy Magic Century Eletale. >.>

I think one small issue is trying to make more playable characters completely changes how to battle, as it's tailored towards a literal single character. Rest, definitely. Armor, weapons, money, no reason not to. Maybe more playable options.

Though to be fair, the beta stuff was vastly different. For instance, one older design was more of a hack n slash, akin to the Gauntlet series. This wouldn't flow well for the original game, but would do great for up to 4 players(notably, Princess Flora and Killiac were planned. They can add in Leo D'Nardo as the final option, being he basically becomes a supporting cast member in the Gameboy remake). A spin-off game other than the Puzzle one could work too for this genre. If anything, they could justify multiple playable characters as a Gauntlet Legends clone. Many of the notable NPC's could work, besides who I already mentioned. While having various bosses otherwise, including Dragon from the remake(a sea serpent at the end of Cull Hazard).

Maybe Shannon could be playable or a boss?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Or maybe its beta name, Holy Magic Century Eletale. >.>

I think one small issue is trying to make more playable characters completely changes how to battle, as it's tailored towards a literal single character. Rest, definitely. Armor, weapons, money, no reason not to. Maybe more playable options.

Though to be fair, the beta stuff was vastly different. For instance, one older design was more of a hack n slash, akin to the Gauntlet series. This wouldn't flow well for the original game, but would do great for up to 4 players(notably, Princess Flora and Killiac were planned. They can add in Leo D'Nardo as the final option, being he basically becomes a supporting cast member in the Gameboy remake). A spin-off game other than the Puzzle one could work too for this genre. If anything, they could justify multiple playable characters as a Gauntlet Legends clone. Many of the notable NPC's could work, besides who I already mentioned. While having various bosses otherwise, including Dragon from the remake(a sea serpent at the end of Cull Hazard).

Maybe Shannon could be playable or a boss?
The other party members could be controlled by AI so you still only controlled one character but coukd possibly change who you control or something.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The other party members could be controlled by AI so you still only controlled one character but coukd possibly change who you control or something.
That might work. Though allowing them to be controllable via other players does too. Of course, it works best if they had their own screen as well under that condition. Camera angles are bad enough, after all.

Honestly it sounds like this would be a perfect Switch or 3DS remake.

On another note, do you know all of what was planned(at least from the Nintendo Power preview)?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
That might work. Though allowing them to be controllable via other players does too. Of course, it works best if they had their own screen as well under that condition. Camera angles are bad enough, after all.

Honestly it sounds like this would be a perfect Switch or 3DS remake.

On another note, do you know all of what was planned(at least from the Nintendo Power preview)?
I saw a bit of it, not much really.

Also a Switch remake would be cool but uhh... I don’t think THQ exists anymore.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I saw a bit of it, not much really.

Also a Switch remake would be cool but uhh... I don’t think THQ exists anymore.
THQ Nordic does, but keep in mind they only published it in the US. Imagineer owns the series... but also doesn't make games any more.

Anyway, what was planned was proper Shoppes with a Monetary system, Party Members, regular Equipment, Riding on a Horse... and that's kind of it. Then the development got rushed, and we got a mediocre product(though that's not to say it doesn't shine in its own ways. The battle system is robust. It looks pretty good for its time. Every character looks really uniquely designed, monsters included. The music is pretty good for being a midi(though yeah, some might not be able to handle the noise due to how ears work), and had a balanced turn-by-turn system.) The story and characterization was completely jank/mostly gone, the biggest downside. And the gameplay balance was hardly perfect, though as noted, it has its points.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I remember one weekend In '98, I chose to rent this dinky little game over Banjo-Kazooie...

Hey, the Ads on TV and in the magazines worked. What can I say? :)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This is the one I remember:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I96R5eVifwk

Looking back, it was the perfect ad! The "Oooh!" Intrigued me because very few N64 games had speaking cutscenes back then. Then i played it and found THERE WAS NO VOICE ACTING! :(
At least they had fun dialogue. But to be fair, a lot more was planned as is. Still, gotta love Shilf's random Ooh! bit. XD

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Was that even in the game? Never made it past the thief boss XD
Nope. Zero voice acting.

But practically everything has dialogue. Even the few animals. Sheep and Horse just say Baa and Neigh. Long story short, to get the real backstory of the game, you need to get really far into it, past Shilf(the woman at the end of the commercial), and then find a hidden area to talk to a NPC.

That said, thanks to save spots and the fact you can grind all day, beating the game is relatively easy, bar the n64 freezing or creating a glitch that would freeze the game.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So, what it's a basic rundown of the games plot? No spoilers or anything, just, y'know, the general story.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So, what it's a basic rundown of the games plot? No spoilers or anything, just, y'know, the general story.
The Eletale Book is stolen. Your dad went to find it and never came back. You go to find both.

...Yeah, that's kind of it. XD

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
XD
Just watched the trailer posted up above, and this looks like a game that doesn't need a deep plot to be enjoyable.
Pretty much. The only real plot of note is hidden away in a hidden area you won't easily find. Besides that, the gameplay and visuals(along with music) are more where it shines as is.

While the battles are repetitive, the gameplay has simplistic strategy of "where to stand to aim your attacks", not unlike a strategy rpg ala Shining Force. It's just in full 3D.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So i looked up a review, and it says the game is more tedious than fun
(Ex. Levelling Stats Conflicts with each other Raising or Damage Means you can't raise your magic that easily etc.) out of y'alls experience, is this true?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So i looked up a review, and it says the game is more tedious than fun
(Ex. Levelling Stats Conflicts with each other Raising or Damage Means you can't raise your magic that easily etc.) out of y'alls experience, is this true?
It's not. All stats go up independent of each other.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ah ok.

So...what raises your stats anyways?
Battles and hidden Spirits for your elements(Earth, Fire, Wind, Water).

For Hit Points, either hitting things with your stick during battle or taking damage in battle from anything.

For Magic Points, using Items(as they all use a magic spell programming-wise, some a proper spell itself, others something similar to one) or Magic in general. However, if you use something like Healing Lv 1 while you have your currently max HP(so if you're at 50 out of 50 HP), you don't gain experience for it.

For Defense, simply getting hit by any damaging attack.

For Agility, moving around in and out of battle.

Max stats are 50 of each Element, 500 HP and MP, and 255 Defense and Agility.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Here is the Brian Quest 64 model from Models Resource that I modified a little. I made his hair actual hair and separated it from his head. Also made the cape a real cape and closed some of the holes. Did nothing with his feet however and the higher-res texture I made is crap because I cannot make textures, but it was still something fun and something to share.

Attachments

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Here is the Brian Quest 64 model from Models Resource that I modified a little. I made his hair actual hair and separated it from his head. Also made the cape a real cape and closed some of the holes. Did nothing with his feet however and the higher-res texture I made is crap because I cannot make textures, but it was still something fun and something to share.
Really nice job nonetheless. Best I've done is remake a few sprites for a Pokemon hack I'm making. For instance, Cockatrice having a smaller form called Chicktrice. Or Wolf Goat being remade to Sheepen, it's pre-evolution.

Poll has been updated. I did not include the Spanish version of Quest 64 as it's unofficial. It includes the fact there's 5 different official N64 games, and a total of 4 different Gameboy games(2 and 2 of each version).

And another update; outside of the German version of Holy Magic Century, I own every official cartridge. I don't count the unofficial Spanish Version. I don't think I can even find it. I only temporarily emulated it to know the differences for my wikia.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So being that I've only ever played Quest 64, I can only really ask this from that perspective, but if you were in charge of making a sequel to Quest 64 for current gens how would you go about doing that? What elements (not literally lol, or I guess if you wanna go there) would you bring back, alter, leave in the past and whatnot? What needs to be improved? Because like I said in the Banjo thread I think there are definitely some compelling elements to the games that could make for something great if given the chance.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Also I just realized no one has posted here since August. =O

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So being that I've only ever played Quest 64, I can only really ask this from that perspective, but if you were in charge of making a sequel to Quest 64 for current gens how would you go about doing that? What elements (not literally lol, or I guess if you wanna go there) would you bring back, alter, leave in the past and whatnot? What needs to be improved? Because like I said in the Banjo thread I think there are definitely some compelling elements to the games that could make for something great if given the chance.
I already had many thoughts on this;

Keep a single player thing. The game doesn't work well with multiple characters due to the action rpg set up. Unless it's a separate player controlling that character. Which would be a fine splitscreen option. Enemies can be modified due to that, like double HP(or 1.5 times) in that way.

The inventory system has to be fixed. This can either be done by having a multi-lined one like the Final Fantasy games or even Lagoon, or at least let you have an option to sort them by type. Having separated inventories for key items, wings, and consumables like the Gameboy remake is good.

Readable signs in something other than the Japanese version. And the rest of the JP features. Colored auras, etc. But the most important part, cutscenes. And up to 3 items can drop. >.>

I'd also like to see every single spell combination via your buttons different if possible. So Water/Fire/Water could be different from Water/Water/Fire. Mind you, the way the game is designed, it just puts it in a slot, and you're linked to it due to bad programming.

I'd like to see some kind of puzzles. Nothing extravegent, just something a bit more interesting.

Actual story. Like the Gameboy games, which are chock full of it.

I could also see other playable character options, perhaps with a different weapon in itself. And that different weapon could change how you play overall. Like you could have the Staff gain 2 MP back per hit instead, but a Warhammer as a melee weapon with more damage... but only gain back 1 MP. Where a dagger could have far weaker damage, but gain back 3. Or, for instance, you could skip your turn while wielding a dagger and get back 1 MP. I don't think the way the Gameboy games did it was that balanced. Especially since you can't restore MP while running around. Alternatively, your rate of restoration of MP could be based around the "class" you have. Which would determine your weapon type. You could also have a projectile weapon, but it wouldn't restore MP when you hit, or it could only restore MP depending upon your damage output. Kind of like a reversal of Vampire's Touch. So different classes with different weapons that matter. Other things like them making a certain element stronger would help.

The MP restoration items should be like the Gameboy games. So they are like restoring HP, with 50, 100, 150, and 9999.

You could also easily have other elements. Ice and Lightning are pretty separated at this point. There's even a bubble attack in the beta that could replace Ice Knife. Or maybe Ice Wall. Lightning might be harder to justify. Though you could apply these to the various Water moves(I explained above of how you could justify more spell slots).

More enemies. The variety isn't bad, but they could be better. Likewise, the item drops really need to be more evenly spread out. Also, return the Lottery with the various winnable items(including an upgraded Cape, main weapon, and an amulet to reduce encounters).

More music, and obviously make it sound better. Also, likewise, fix up the graphics a bit. It shouldn't be easy to see some polygon disappearing(though that might be an emulator problem?).

I'd like a language option and for it to be a hard worldwide release. Keep every language, even Spanish(then Mexico doesn't need to make bootleg/unofficial copies). Sure, you gotta print a bigger booklet, but...

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I already had many thoughts on this;

Keep a single player thing. The game doesn't work well with multiple characters due to the action rpg set up. Unless it's a separate player controlling that character. Which would be a fine splitscreen option. Enemies can be modified due to that, like double HP(or 1.5 times) in that way.

The inventory system has to be fixed. This can either be done by having a multi-lined one like the Final Fantasy games or even Lagoon, or at least let you have an option to sort them by type. Having separated inventories for key items, wings, and consumables like the Gameboy remake is good.

Readable signs in something other than the Japanese version. And the rest of the JP features. Colored auras, etc. But the most important part, cutscenes. And up to 3 items can drop. >.>

I'd also like to see every single spell combination via your buttons different if possible. So Water/Fire/Water could be different from Water/Water/Fire. Mind you, the way the game is designed, it just puts it in a slot, and you're linked to it due to bad programming.

I'd like to see some kind of puzzles. Nothing extravegent, just something a bit more interesting.

Actual story. Like the Gameboy games, which are chock full of it.

I could also see other playable character options, perhaps with a different weapon in itself. And that different weapon could change how you play overall. Like you could have the Staff gain 2 MP back per hit instead, but a Warhammer as a melee weapon with more damage... but only gain back 1 MP. Where a dagger could have far weaker damage, but gain back 3. Or, for instance, you could skip your turn while wielding a dagger and get back 1 MP. I don't think the way the Gameboy games did it was that balanced. Especially since you can't restore MP while running around. Alternatively, your rate of restoration of MP could be based around the "class" you have. Which would determine your weapon type. You could also have a projectile weapon, but it wouldn't restore MP when you hit, or it could only restore MP depending upon your damage output. Kind of like a reversal of Vampire's Touch. So different classes with different weapons that matter. Other things like them making a certain element stronger would help.

The MP restoration items should be like the Gameboy games. So they are like restoring HP, with 50, 100, 150, and 9999.

You could also easily have other elements. Ice and Lightning are pretty separated at this point. There's even a bubble attack in the beta that could replace Ice Knife. Or maybe Ice Wall. Lightning might be harder to justify. Though you could apply these to the various Water moves(I explained above of how you could justify more spell slots).

More enemies. The variety isn't bad, but they could be better. Likewise, the item drops really need to be more evenly spread out. Also, return the Lottery with the various winnable items(including an upgraded Cape, main weapon, and an amulet to reduce encounters).

More music, and obviously make it sound better. Also, likewise, fix up the graphics a bit. It shouldn't be easy to see some polygon disappearing(though that might be an emulator problem?).

I'd like a language option and for it to be a hard worldwide release. Keep every language, even Spanish(then Mexico doesn't need to make bootleg/unofficial copies). Sure, you gotta print a bigger booklet, but...
Agreed on pretty much all accounts. Though I have to say there is definitely more detail than I would have ever thought about. haha

The story is the big sticking point for me. As much as there wasn't really competition in the RPG space on the N64, there were still games with way better stories. In fact it was really just a non-entity in Quest 64, at least as far as I was concerned. To the point where I actually dont really remember anything about it apart from feeling like it was kind of generic. I also remember feeling like there as loads of text when talking to characters and whatnot and it just never lead to anything interesting.

I think that is the most important part for me because my investment n the story of a game like this is largely what keeps me interested. If there were more story beats along the way and interesting things happening or more characters to become invested in (because let's be honest Brian is a blank slate a la Link).

It may need to stick to a single character dynamic to keep the battle system (though there are other RPGs that deal with this sort of dynamic pretty well now imo), but I do think supporting characters are needs. Even if just for more interactions and opportunities for character development.

Also were there shortcuts in the game for choosing spells to use? I honestly don't remember. If not that seems like something that would improve the game quite a bit.

I also think the different elements need a fairly significant rebalancing. t was very easy to screw yourself over by investing your spirits poorly and there just wasn't a lot to be done about that. Maybe a way to combine some spells for added effects, so you make more of a choice between either specializing or not.

I love your idea about puzzles though. Love me some puzzles. I think that would add some identity to the game and also allow for some use of the spells outside of battle for interesting effects. Would make spirit collecting feel even more impactful/powerful, while also hopefully breaking up some of the grinding. Would also hopefully add some life to the game outside of the major towns. Though this is branching a bit into Golden Sun territory tbh.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Agreed on pretty much all accounts. Though I have to say there is definitely more detail than I would have ever thought about. haha

The story is the big sticking point for me. As much as there wasn't really competition in the RPG space on the N64, there were still games with way better stories. In fact it was really just a non-entity in Quest 64, at least as far as I was concerned. To the point where I actually dont really remember anything about it apart from feeling like it was kind of generic. I also remember feeling like there as loads of text when talking to characters and whatnot and it just never lead to anything interesting.
Well, the plot is at least given to you immediately. Having to go out of your way to a completely unknown spot just to figure out the rest of the basic plot is ridiculous. Quest RPG, the remake, did that fine by making the plot way more clear via cutscenes. Though some were a bit too forced.

I think that is the most important part for me because my investment n the story of a game like this is largely what keeps me interested. If there were more story beats along the way and interesting things happening or more characters to become invested in (because let's be honest Brian is a blank slate a la Link).
All he does is become a Yes Man in the remake. Which is... okay. But at least Flora and Leonardo have more of a story role in comparison. Same with your father.

It may need to stick to a single character dynamic to keep the battle system (though there are other RPGs that deal with this sort of dynamic pretty well now imo), but I do think supporting characters are needs. Even if just for more interactions and opportunities for character development.
Yeah, not even the remake fixed that up. There was some more interaction/etc. without them being playable, but barely any development. ._.;

Also were there shortcuts in the game for choosing spells to use? I honestly don't remember. If not that seems like something that would improve the game quite a bit.
Nope. It was nothing but using your buttons to choose one appropriately. A very nice system, though.

I also think the different elements need a fairly significant rebalancing. t was very easy to screw yourself over by investing your spirits poorly and there just wasn't a lot to be done about that. Maybe a way to combine some spells for added effects, so you make more of a choice between either specializing or not.
It takes too long to finish off even one element, and your magic is underwhelming. The remake fixes this by forcing you to get a little over 20 in each element to get all 60 spells. Since you need points in each element to use a spell that literally contains that combination. If you want Confusion, you need enough Earth, Fire, and Water. And so on. So while you get all the magic earlier, you also have to invest in every element to finish off any set of spells. Both systems are mediocre.

I love your idea about puzzles though. Love me some puzzles. I think that would add some identity to the game and also allow for some use of the spells outside of battle for interesting effects. Would make spirit collecting feel even more impactful/powerful, while also hopefully breaking up some of the grinding. Would also hopefully add some life to the game outside of the major towns. Though this is branching a bit into Golden Sun territory tbh.
Well, Golden Sun is one of the few rpg's focused on the four elements. Chrystalis is another one. Same with Lagoon. Though they aren't the exact same 4 elements in each case, it's still the same general idea.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have such a love hate relationship with this game.

Reasons why Quest is awful (I guess this is subjective) :
-The story is completely nonessential, and while there is a vast amount of reading, it's similar to why I don't get 'immersed' into the morrowind stories.
-there's a huge spike in difficulty as soon as you reach the....caves near Larapool, but it was ridiculous.
-music while good is super repetitive
-item system drove me absolutely bonkers
-all magic is underpowered except earth
-turned into a grind fest (until you get earthquake)
-underwhelming
-Graphics....never held up even at the time
-A LOT of random encounters
-virtually no interaction with the environment

AND YET
Reasons why I still love Quest :
-somehow, the simpler graphics activate something in my imagination a little more. I don't get it, but it makes me want to explore the world more than a super detailed place.
-you kept your levels even when you died, making leveling up less painful.
-battle system was really interesting. Active battling and dodging made it a lot more fun.
- definitely was a world I wasn't familiar with
- maybe the graphics and the lack of options almost made it feel more...medieval?

There's literally not too much I'd have to say that is glowing with praise, but something about this game...I can list all the reasons why I shouldn't enjoy it, yet I've played it time and time again.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I have such a love hate relationship with this game.

Reasons why Quest is awful (I guess this is subjective) :
-The story is completely nonessential, and while there is a vast amount of reading, it's similar to why I don't get 'immersed' into the morrowind stories.
-there's a huge spike in difficulty as soon as you reach the....caves near Larapool, but it was ridiculous.
-music while good is super repetitive
-item system drove me absolutely bonkers
-all magic is underpowered except earth
-turned into a grind fest (until you get earthquake)
-underwhelming
-Graphics....never held up even at the time
-A LOT of random encounters
-virtually no interaction with the environment

AND YET
Reasons why I still love Quest :
-somehow, the simpler graphics activate something in my imagination a little more. I don't get it, but it makes me want to explore the world more than a super detailed place.
-you kept your levels even when you died, making leveling up less painful.
-battle system was really interesting. Active battling and dodging made it a lot more fun.
- definitely was a world I wasn't familiar with
- maybe the graphics and the lack of options almost made it feel more...medieval?

There's literally not too much I'd have to say that is glowing with praise, but something about this game...I can list all the reasons why I shouldn't enjoy it, yet I've played it time and time again.
There is a trope for it called "So bad it's good", so maybe that's how you're feeling.

Also, there is no Earthquake spell. You probably meant Avalanche, which admittedly is overpowered. I'd like to say that Fire Pillar, Water Pillar, and Rock are definitely not weak spells as is. Though you are right that the general magic is.

The graphics absolutely didn't hold up for long, but they admittedly looked pretty presentable and lively despite the low polygon count. When I look at FFVII, the first game on the PlayStation to really try for heavy graphics, it really didn't stand up well. Cutscenes aside, the polygons looked pretty bad. Of course, it's a beginning game for the system, so that's understandable. Quest is however a very early game in the lifespan, so the graphics are serviceable(a bit under average, maybe) at the time.

Random Encounters definitely can go overboard. Also, Kobolds hit way too hard. A lot of monsters are a bit too strong when they're encountered. Wyvern, Kobold, Hot Lips, Apophis, everything in the desert, Scorpion(not nearly as bad for the other Blue Cave monsters... but Isle of Skye's Grangach and Pixie are ridiculous), and Solvaring outside of the Japanese version where he's nerfed. Balance is a huge problem.

The story absolutely sucked, and it didn't even feel as good as Dragon Warrior 1's, which was a pretty eh story at that point. I mean, for the first RPG, it was okay, but it was pretty eh. Items were handled terribly. I've actually spent time outright grinding just to sort out my items in the Japanese version, with up to 3 items to drop. I sorted them as close to the in-game bytes(that is, order the items appear in the game's own coding) as remotely possible without using Gameshark Codes. That was a task indeed. I do like how game overs don't exist, though in the end, it's just more grinding. The problem is you can always max level, so grinding doesn't actually give you some kind of final unique setup like with other rpg's, where there's some RNG to the stats.

BTW, have you tried Eletale Monsters? It has some of the same issues, but it also has some slice of life changes. You always have your HP/MP meter shown, bosses give you an MP boost as well as refill it all the way, as noted before Solvaring hits less hard. You also can get up to 3 items to drop and have a critical hit option.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm familiar with the trope, I just think that quest is bad. The only good that comes from it is primarily nostalgic I believe.
So bad it's good makes me think of like, QWOP or something.

You're right, I meant avalanche. Literally as soon as I got that spell, essentially the game was over.

I haven't played eletale monsters, what system was it for?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm familiar with the trope, I just think that quest is bad. The only good that comes from it is primarily nostalgic I believe.
So bad it's good makes me think of like, QWOP or something.

You're right, I meant avalanche. Literally as soon as I got that spell, essentially the game was over.

I haven't played eletale monsters, what system was it for?
Eletale Monsters is for the 64.

I’m on mobile so I’ll edit in more later.

Speaking of later; And actually, the "good" that comes from it depends the person. Nostalgia isn't why I come back. I honestly love the battle system, the designs, the music, and unique gameplay. It's completely user-dependent. What does QWOP mean?

And yeah, Avalanche is super op. Good thing it's hard to hit with.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Brian Gang?

You bet your sweet ass Brian Gang!

QUEST HD WHEN?
Somebody on Youtube has worked on it, but I dunno how far it has been.

Otherwise, that'd be nice. The game needs a HD upgrade alone. I mean, it still has better(non-cutscene) graphics than FFVII did, but it also released later and took better advantage of its system in that case. On the other hand, it poorly compressed data too, and has a ton of game slowdown due to poor usage of game data. I've been talking with a user who plans to fix this up, freeing up a lot of space. Whether that gives him space to make new monsters/items/etc. is another story.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Somebody on Youtube has worked on it, but I dunno how far it has been.

Otherwise, that'd be nice. The game needs a HD upgrade alone. I mean, it still has better(non-cutscene) graphics than FFVII did, but it also released later and took better advantage of its system in that case. On the other hand, it poorly compressed data too, and has a ton of game slowdown due to poor usage of game data. I've been talking with a user who plans to fix this up, freeing up a lot of space. Whether that gives him space to make new monsters/items/etc. is another story.
Some added lore would be nice too.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Some added lore would be nice too.
At least outside of just talking to NPC's. Story is definitely more there in the Gameboy remake, but it isn't much better. Forced cutscenes get boring after a while. Especially at the start of the game, where you can't save for a very long time.

...So basically the N64 and Gameboy versions take a while to save. XD

Also, been working with another user off this site for ideas to add more to the game. Besides an Amulet/Brooch, new Staves, and new Capes, I've had monster ideas;

• Aquavius(a water variation on Cockatrice)
  • Some kind of Fire Ant(as a counterpart to Termant/Giant Ant)
  • Spydaria/Spydarius(a wind mechanical counterpart to Arachnoid)
  • Ryelander(an earth bread box counterpart to Mimic. The tune in East Limelin is called Highland, and Rye is a type of bread)
  • Vambite(a red version of Were Hare, which has a Physical attack and Vampire's Touch)
  • Hollow(basically Treant from the remake, with pitiful defense but mainly high stats. Has Rolling Rock Lv 2 and Avalanche)
  • ...And a joke monster in Skeleton Key, which is found near Brannoch Castle and drops the Dark Gaol Key.
Surprisingly I haven't had many regular ideas for monsters. I have a ton for my Pokemon hack, but that's not the same. The idea is mainly to have retrains of previous ones, since they already have full models. Only textures would be needed. Otherwise, boss fights in Lavaar, Leonardo, and Kiliak would be great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom