• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Petey Piranha Boss Thread!

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Direct quote from Bowser character profile on the Dojo:

"The biggest and the heaviest of fighters, Bowser has a slightly different flavor this time around!"

And yes, he did get bigger at the end of Melee, but he wasn't playable then (unless you Gameshark'd him or something). He got bigger and became a different character which wasn't even playable. I think that this is a rare case where the "He's too big!" argument actually holds some water.
I don't, he resized in all his games where he's playable.

(Well, I haven't played Strikers yet)

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
-Seems likely to be a boss
-Other characters have appeared in the Subspace screenshots, but don't seem to be playable (like Pelutina, or whatever her name is)
-He's honestly too big if he stays that size. Bowser has been confirmed to be the biggest fighter.
-Petey could be resized, but if so, why ISN'T he small to start with? Why would Sakurai make him huge in the movie clip only to have him shrink down to nearly Kirby's size for the fight.

AND. If characters were going to be their "actual" size outside of fights, then why isn't Kirby only 8 inches high?
-Paulentina isn't a villan stealing a couple of princesses. If you don't think at very least you'll be fighting them then you're being ridiculous.
-Ever play adventure mode? You fight a Bowser that is enlarged. Why?!? Because it's cooler than just standard Bowser! Petey can be shrunk for multiplayer mode. I'm sure you'll fight him as his huge self in Adventure mode though.

He's not important as say, Bowser Jr.? Who is a better candidate for a playable character in my opinion (what with paintbrush and things) and has starred in 2 main villain roles in the 2 latest proper Mario games. Bowser Jr. could easily tag team up with Bowser for the story final fights of Mario/Luigi/Peach in a sort of turtle-esque Master Hand + Crazy Hand tag team. I very very much doubt Petey will be the final boss for anyone in the storymode because he's not that important to anyone, he's just a regular recurring boss figh
Petey has been a boss in 6 games. I think he has accomplished a bit more than Bowser Jr. Oh and Petey is obviously important enough to be put in Brawl. Why? Because he's in it! We just don't know yet if he's going to be playable.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Petey has been making numerous appearances in recent games. He was in Mario Kart Double Dash, and now he is in Mario Strikers Charged. He wouldn't be too far-fetched for Brawl. Granted, he is HUGE in the video.

The bottom line is this: he is in Brawl. There is no proof that he is a playable character. There is no proof that he won't be a playable character. Stop trying to "confirm" it through second-hand facts. Personally, I LOL'd at the "ZOMG CONPHERMED" words in the first post. ^_^

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
-Peach anyone?
-He'll probably be resized, like Bowser was
-Huge for Adventure mode (Like Bowser), Smaller on VS mode (Like Bowser)

-Didn't they resize Charizard too?
-Peach is an entirely different matter. It's not like I said "none of the characters in the Subspace adventure mode are playable". I just said that certain character HAVE appeared in there who don't seem playable. Like Pelutina. Petey being in the adventure mode doesn't mean anything.
-Did you even read my point about that?
-Bowser was only huge in Adventure mode when he was Giga Bowser. Stop bringing up Bowser. His role in Melee does not relate to Petey in any way.
-From what? How large he was in the Anime? I suppose, but that brings me back to the point that Charizard has always been this size in Smash. A character has never been resized IN-GAME, without a special circumstance such as a mushroom or Giga Bowser's very unique situation.

And again, if they were going to change characters' sizes like that, then why is Kirby the size he's always been in Smash when he's literally only supposed to be 8 inches tall?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Actually, you're Wrong. Bowser was bigger in Adventure.
. . . I'm almost positive he's not. If he is, then barely. Clearly not enough for me to notice. And clearly not to the extent that Petey is.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
-Peach is an entirely different matter. It's not like I said "none of the characters in the Subspace adventure mode are playable". I just said that certain character HAVE appeared in there who don't seem playable. Like Pelutina. Petey being in the adventure mode doesn't mean anything.
-Did you even read my point about that?
-Bowser was only huge in Adventure mode when he was Giga Bowser. Stop bringing up Bowser. His role in Melee does not relate to Petey in any way.
-From what? How large he was in the Anime? I suppose, but that brings me back to the point that Charizard has always been this size in Smash. A character has never been resized IN-GAME, without a special circumstance such as a mushroom or Giga Bowser's very unique situation.

And again, if they were going to change characters' sizes like that, then why is Kirby the size he's always been in Smash when he's literally only supposed to be 8 inches tall?
Doesn't that Kirby thing just add to my argument?

Bowser is bigger in Adventure mode.

How is Peach different?

Bowser has been resized In-game

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Correct. As for Petey, they could just say he swallowed a piece of poison mushroom which shrunk him down a bit. ^_^

Talendime

Smash Ace
. . . I'm almost positive he's not. If he is, then barely. Clearly not enough for me to notice. And clearly not to the extent that Petey is.
He was as big as he would be had he grabbed the Super Mushroom item.

As for Petey, he wasn't very big in Super Princess Peach or Mario Kart Double Dash.
Not saying I want him to be a playable character, I can easily see it.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I like Petey's design. He actually looks fiercesome, rather then a dopey child molester like in Mario Sunshine. And I would not mind him playable. He can offer a new playstyle.

But I have a hunch that he will be a boss.

For those who say that there is no point for him to be unplayable if he has a moveset, remember this. Balancing takes a long time. Petey might have moves with immense strength because he is a large boss. Toning down those moves and adjusting lag, duration, strength, speed, range, and priority would take alot of testing.

I think he is going to fight more like Master Hand in the sense that he will have a life total.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Doesn't that Kirby thing just add to my argument?
No.

Kirby's actual size is 8 inches, but in Smash he got bigger, by necessity. Petey's actual size is pretty much what we see in the video. Since Kirby appears "Smash-size" in the video, then why doesn't Petey? If they were going to keep Petey actual size for the adventure mode, then shrink Petey for the multiplayer, then why isn't Kirby his actual size?

Bowser is bigger in Adventure mode.
You know, honestly, he may be slightly bigger for all I know; it's been a while since I've played it. But it's a minute increase. NOTHING compared to Petey's size. And I've said a couple times before that Petey COULD be playable. I'm just arguing why I don't think he is.

How is Peach different?
She had a good shot for returning from Melee anyway, plus she's already seen in an acceptable form to be a fighter—Petey is not, and Pelutina is part of Pit's Final Smash. My ONLY point in bringing up Pelutina is that not all the characters you see in the Subspace adventure mode will necessarily be playable.

Bowser has been resized In-game
Fair enough. Maybe you're right. Doesn't change my other points.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I also hope he has facial expressions. He did in Strikers and it actually made him look like a living creature. Usually he just has his mouth a gape

Vali

Smash Ace
"Not Important" isn't a good enough excuse, as we have already seen.
As much as I love DainBramaged, quoting someone who was proven wrong on a character idea isn't the smartest thing to do. Also to say that PT isn't important to the Pokemon franchise is downright ********. In a way, PT represents all of the trainers in the entire series and the main characters of the games etc. and for that reason he is important to the franchise.

Another point is that PT has nothing to do with this discussion of importance. Petey is a recurring boss fight, whereas Bowser Jr. is a recurring final boss and main villain in the storyline. PT is the main character of the franchise and there's no competition among other trainers to edge him out of a spot because PT also represents those trainers. Other Pokemon pose no threat either because PT comes at the character slot from an unrivalled, unique angle.

I honestly don't see what your post has to do with anything that I said in my post.

Yeah sorry for not clarifying Circus, I wasn't referring to Giga Bowser but actual Bowser.

Petey has been a boss in 6 games. I think he has accomplished a bit more than Bowser Jr. Oh and Petey is obviously important enough to be put in Brawl. Why? Because he's in it! We just don't know yet if he's going to be playable.
Bowser Jr. was the whole storyline and main villain of Sunshine, and also the main villain of New Super Mario Bros. Bowser Jr. has importance and relevance to the storylines of the games he's in as well as to the franchise (being Bowser's son) and yet Petey just plays the role of recurring boss fight (probably to save them having to invent new bosses) and has no relevance to any of the stories he's in. He has not accomplished nearly anything as much as Bowser Jr. Also if you actually READ my post, you'll notice how I pointed out that he is most likely not going to be a major boss at all, and Bowser Jr. may still be yet again another major boss (with Bowser, perhaps). If you count being a miniboss as important then well...I can see why you hold Petey so high and mighty.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I will acknowledge that Petey Piranha is in Brawl's Adventure Mode. I will not assume, however, that he will be included as a playable character; I dread the thought.

I hate the character, and I am unafraid to let the world know. I think that he is an oversized weed that makes gargling noises and spews sludge. He lacks any semblance of personality. Petey is a vomiting plant in a polka-dot diaper. How appealing. :rolleyes:

And yet Nintendo has some inexplicable infatuation with this monstrosity! Petey has been employed more and more frequently for some bizarre reason, taking roles as a boss AND as a spin-off character. Seeing him in Mario Power Tennis and Mario Strikers Charged made me want to emulate my most-hated character and vomit all over the screen. Granted, both are fine games, but I cannot stand to see such an uninteresting and unappealing character included in nearly every Mario outing, let alone have any sort of fanbase.

If he remains an NPC, I will be satisfied. I would just hate to see such a waste of space take up a valuable spot on the roster when it could just as easily go to a far more deserving character, be it just about anyone else from the Marioverse, or even a cool retro character (Skapon? Little Mac? Takamaru? Mike Jones?). Petey as a playable character FTL. Bigtime. :mad:

EDIT: It's "Palutena" from Kid Icarus. Spelling ahoy. :grin:

Also, I'm not bashing Petey fans; I'm sure that you're all very nice people, each one entitled to your own opinion(s). I just wanted to express my (strong) feelings on the matter.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Yeah sorry for not clarifying Circus, I wasn't referring to Giga Bowser but actual Bowser.
No, no. My apologies for never being observant enough to realize he was bigger. :ohwell:

EDIT: It's "Palutena" from Kid Icarus. Spelling ahoy. :grin:
I believe I'll be copy/pasting that name from now on. I seem incapable of spelling it right.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
The bottom line is this: he is in Brawl. There is no proof that he is a playable character. There is no proof that he won't be a playable character. Stop trying to "confirm" it through second-hand facts. Personally, I LOL'd at the "ZOMG CONPHERMED" words in the first post. ^_^
Post of the day. He's in somehow, we don't have any idea what all he'll do.

Right now, go play Adventure mode as Bowser. Notice, the bowser that you play as is smaller than the other.

Look there, I just did it. It relates to Petey, because in Brawl's Adventure mode, you can do the same thing. Have Petey as a boss be larger and more powerful, then have playable Petey be smaller.

Chrisiscool

Smash Apprentice
? the only boss you cant play with was master hand. if petey is a boss you probobly can play with him.
he has sum growth defect but when you beat him he goes down to a regular size equal to donkey kong. then he will be playable and i bet next tuesday they will confirm him. and all of you will say something like.. "ahh too many mario guys..." when melee had only 5.
petey is in..
bowser jr, baby mario, and birdo next =]

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
No.

Kirby's actual size is 8 inches, but in Smash he got bigger, by necessity. Petey's actual size is pretty much what we see in the video. Since Kirby appears "Smash-size" in the video, then why doesn't Petey? If they were going to keep Petey actual size for the adventure mode, then shrink Petey for the multiplayer, then why isn't Kirby his actual size?
Do you know how big 8 inches tall is? No one would play as Kirby. You should ask Saurai this question, not me.

And like I said, Bowser is bigger in Adventure mode, but smaller as a PC. Why would Petey be any different?
You know, honestly, he may be slightly bigger for all I know; it's been a while since I've played it. But it's a minute increase. NOTHING compared to Petey's size. And I've said a couple times before that Petey COULD be playable. I'm just arguing why I don't think he is.
It's not very good arguments.

She had a good shot for returning from Melee anyway, plus she's already seen in an acceptable form to be a fighter—Petey is not, and Pelutina is part of Pit's Final Smash. My ONLY point in bringing up Pelutina is that not all the characters you see in the Subspace adventure mode will necessarily be playable.
But, like Peach, Petey might.

Fair enough. Maybe you're right. Doesn't change my other points.
About Petey being to big and why would they resize him?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Post of the day. He's in somehow, we don't have any idea what all he'll do.

Right now, go play Adventure mode as Bowser. Notice, the bowser that you play as is smaller than the other.
[MONSTER PICTURE]

Look there, I just did it. It relates to Petey, because in Brawl's Adventure mode, you can do the same thing. Have Petey as a boss be larger and more powerful, then have playable Petey be smaller.
Duly noted. Now how about resizing that picture. ;)

Chaos Paladin

Smash Journeyman
who cares if they make petey bigger they do that to tons of charecters. Hes bigger and has better graphics, it just makes him a more fierce boss.

Vali

Smash Ace
No, no. My apologies for never being observant enough to realize he was bigger. :ohwell:

I believe I'll be copy/pasting that name from now on. I seem incapable of spelling it right.
It's quite alright *pat edit: non patronising! honest!*. With Palutena, just say the name a few times to yourself and nail the actual pronunciation of the word and you shouldn't spell it wrong again. The best spelling of it I've seen so far was some guy (a new member no less!) created a thread at the time of Pit's final Smash and the subspace screenshot with her in calling her "Paulenta". Priceless.

Oh and thank you Oxyborb for ruining that page of the thread with an unncessarily large screenshot proving what everyone has already accepted.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Bowser was actually bigger in Adventure Mode... and I'm not talking about Giga Bowser, the regular Bowser was the size of Bowser with super mushroom.

Gr... I don't want Petey in this game... It gave me nightmares while I was sleeping. XD (not about Petey, but yes I did have a nightmare.)

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Do you know how big 8 inches tall is? No one would play as Kirby. You should ask Saurai this question, not me.
Exactly. But in the videos, he wouldn't be fighting, so why isn't he his actual size? If they wanted to make Petey his actual size for the video, but then Smash-size for the fight, then why didn't they make Kirby his actual size for the video, and then Smash-size for the fight? The fact that Kirby is Smash-size (I'm coining a phrase here, I swear), implies that Petey won't be shrinking. I don't know how else to explain this.

And like I said, Bowser is bigger in Adventure mode, but smaller as a PC. Why would Petey be any different?
Admittedly, this is no longer a usable point for me. I still feel the point I posted above is valid though.

But, like Peach, Petey might.
Yes, he might. I've said that twice already. I'm just saying he's not confirmed (some people have said that he is; he's not).

About Petey being to big and why would they resize him?
I don't really get this question. :ohwell:

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
At this point his chances of him being just a boss are greater than his chances being playable...

WarxePB

Smash Ace
Ehh. I'm not a huge fan of Petey, but I will be pleased if he's an unplayable boss. I just can't really imagine a good moveset for him other than spitting goop and self-destructing because his giant head is crushing his tiny body.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Exactly. But in the videos, he wouldn't be fighting, so why isn't he his actual size? If they wanted to make Petey his actual size for the video, but then Smash-size for the fight, then why didn't they make Kirby his actual size for the video, and then Smash-size for the fight? The fact that Kirby is Smash-size (I'm coining a phrase here, I swear), implies that Petey won't be shrinking. I don't know how else to explain this.
Why would he be smaller for the fight? I've never once said he would be smaller for the fight.

Admittedly, this is no longer a usable point for me. I still feel the point I posted above is valid though.
See above.

Yes, he might. I've said that twice already. I'm just saying he's not confirmed (some people have said that he is; he's not).
I haven't either. I made that clear to DainBramaged.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
I think we can all agree, whether you’re an 8 inch Kirby, or a 2 story tall Petey, that video game characters aren’t real, so they will never have an actual size. The game developers can make them whatever size they want at any point in the game.

Palutena on the other hand, is obviously only in that cut scene with Pit because she is telling Pit to go help save the universe or something. She's not about to fight anyone. Petey is obviously about to do battle with Kirby. Which means he's going to have some sort of fighting moves.

sorry about the pic size, I was rushing

I'm not a huge fan of Petey, but I will be pleased if he's an unplayable boss. I just can't really imagine a good moveset for him other than spitting goop and self-destructing because his giant head is crushing his tiny body.
see the origanal post for a moveset I made

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Ehh. I'm not a huge fan of Petey, but I will be pleased if he's an unplayable boss. I just can't really imagine a good moveset for him other than spitting goop and self-destructing because his giant head is crushing his tiny body.
As much as I hate Petey, this argument is crap. Well, it's not an argument here, but it bothers me when people say that they cannot picture X character having a moveset. ANY character can have a moveset created for them, guaranteed.

I don't think that the Mario series would be overrepresented with 5 characters; I just think that Petey would be the least favorable choice. Other Mario (and Mario-esque) characters that would make a better choice than Petey:

- Toad
- Geno
- Mallow
- Waluigi
- Birdo
- Bowser Jr.
- Wart
- Mouser
- One of the Koopalings (Wendy O.? Iggy? Martin von?)
- Count Bleck
- Fawful
- Cackletta
- Professor E. Gadd
- Captain Syrup

And I can only imagine that the list would go on from there. I would truly prefer any of the aforementioned characters to Petey, though.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Why would he be smaller for the fight? I've never once said he would be smaller for the fight.
Ultimately, I suppose you have a point. But right now, Petey is still one big "what if. . ." to me. At the moment, he's only going to be playable if he has a full moveset, if they shrink him down at least for multiplayer (as you suggested), and if Sakurai and his buddies get hammered enough to think Petey is more deserving of a spot on Brawl's roster than Toad.

And let me tell you, that would be a dark day in Smash history. At least for me.

max_da_ling

Smash Cadet
I was very unhappy to see Petey at the end of that trailer.... he needs to get out of my games. I hope to god he's not playable, except to beat the crap out of him.

One thing i'll admit though... he looks alot cooler in brawl than he has anywhere else.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Petey will make a pretty cool boss.

That's all I have to say.

Sure, there can be some superamazingawesomelolcakes plot-twist where he suddenly shrinks to plausible dimensions.
But that won't happen, I predict.
Sakurai gave Petey just the role he was made for. SSBB is not some cheap sports spin-off after all.

Zoinkslls

Smash Apprentice
Hey... Could someone Photoshop this to make sure that the "Gunk Ball Theory" is true? I'm not really doubting it, though. The left one is the unedited one, while the one on the right is me outlining Petey.

I found a better picture!

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Ultimately, I suppose you have a point. But right now, Petey is still one big "what if. . ." to me. At the moment, he's only going to be playable if he has a full moveset, if they shrink him down at least for multiplayer (as you suggested), and if Sakurai and his buddies get hammered enough to think Petey is more deserving of a spot on Brawl's roster than Toad.

And let me tell you, that would be a dark day in Smash history. At least for me.
Yeah, I don't really mind if he's not playable either.

I'm not arguing to say he is, I'm only arguing against those who says he isn't.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys

Not even just Toad! Bowser Jr., the Koopalings, Wart, Birdo, Waluigi, et al ALL deserve the spot more than Petey. One would certain have to be more than a little inebriated to assert that Petey is more deserving than other Mario characters--or any characters in general. :dizzy:

Petey will make a pretty cool boss.

That's all I have to say.

Sure, there can be some superamazingawesomelolcakes plot-twist where he suddenly shrinks to plausible dimensions.
But that won't happen, I predict.
Sakurai gave Petey just the role he was made for. SSBB is not some cheap sports spin-off after all.
Judging by the bomb exploding in the last screenshot, Kirby doesn't take down Petey. Were Petey his usual size (Bowser-ish), Kirby could have easily defeated him. Since Kirby loses, my guess is that he remains gigantic, and my hope is that he remains an NPC.

IllidR

Smash Champion
I hope that Petey is playable.. because if he is only for Boss reasons that means Sakurai and his team put the time in to create him (and he looks pretty good) and give him the ability to fight but not make him playable. So this would mean that Sakurai could do this for other wanted characters like Ridley =(

Top Bottom