• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U The Official MI Smash 4 Power Rankings Thread - NEW RANKINGS LIVE

Zinoto

Smash Lord
The original tourney requirement was 4 all the way back from January when we originally made the google doc.
Screenshot (11).png

Idk where the miscommunication came in, but the eligibility requirement was set to be 4, but put as 5 in the thread. 4 tournies gives you enough time to pit yourself against a better portion of the scene so that its possible to see where they lies in terms of skill, relative to everyone else.

Since tourney results don't look like:

1. Loses to no one
2. Loses to no one except #1
3. Loses to no one except #1 and #2
4. etc

And many player's placements are sporadic at times, we are being extra careful when evaluating players for the list. No bias, no bull****, no pettiness. Our main goal for season 1 is to get it as accurate as possible. Save the petty little drama about who's barely eligible and gonna slide on the end of the PR for season 2. We're evaluating who you beat, who you lost to, and to a lesser degree where you place (consistency point of view).

Also, as a side note, remember this is SEASON ONE. I don't think a lot of you all are considering the difference that makes. In latter seasons, you have data to determine how wins should be evaluated (i.e. If you beat someone on the PR) you are PR worthy. That's not the case here. LOSSES ARE A MUCH BETTER INDICATOR FOR EARLIER RECORDS THAN WINS. It may be hard to determine who's a good win, but that's not the same for losses. I say this because a lot of you guys are sending me lists and opinions of how you think the list should look (and I'm not saying don't it's a good way for you guys to stay involved with this project), but most of you don't even consider losses. Consistency isn't contingent off of wins (unless you win every match) it's based off of who you don't lose to. This is a much better way to think of results and in the end will yield accurate future predictions.

tl;dr - Mb it was 4 tournies, not 5. Simple miscommunication won't happen again.

Planet God Venus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyugaVII
The original tourney requirement was 4 all the way back from January when we originally made the google doc. View attachment 49668

Idk where the miscommunication came in, but the eligibility requirement was set to be 4, but put as 5 in the thread. 4 tournies gives you enough time to pit yourself against a better portion of the scene so that its possible to see where they lies in terms of skill, relative to everyone else.

Since tourney results don't look like:

1. Loses to no one
2. Loses to no one except #1
3. Loses to no one except #1 and #2
4. etc

And many player's placements are sporadic at times, we are being extra careful when evaluating players for the list. No bias, no bull****, no pettiness. Our main goal for season 1 is to get it as accurate as possible. Save the petty little drama about who's barely eligible and gonna slide on the end of the PR for season 2. We're evaluating who you beat, who you lost to, and to a lesser degree where you place (consistency point of view).

Also, as a side note, remember this is SEASON ONE. I don't think a lot of you all are considering the difference that makes. In latter seasons, you have data to determine how wins should be evaluated (i.e. If you beat someone on the PR) you are PR worthy. That's not the case here. LOSSES ARE A MUCH BETTER INDICATOR FOR EARLIER RECORDS THAN WINS. It may be hard to determine who's a good win, but that's not the same for losses. I say this because a lot of you guys are sending me lists and opinions of how you think the list should look (and I'm not saying don't it's a good way for you guys to stay involved with this project), but most of you don't even consider losses. Consistency isn't contingent off of wins (unless you win every match) it's based off of who you don't lose to. This is a much better way to think of results and in the end will yield accurate future predictions.

tl;dr - Mb it was 4 tournies, not 5. Simple miscommunication won't happen again.

JTsm

Smash Master
I say this because a lot of you guys are sending me lists and opinions of how you think the list should look (and I'm not saying don't it's a good way for you guys to stay involved with this project), but most of you don't even consider losses. Consistency isn't contingent off of wins (unless you win every match) it's based off of who you don't lose to. This is a much better way to think of results and in the end will yield accurate future predictions.
Yeah the list I sent you was PURELY based off head to head. When I looked at the first sheet, not only is my list different, but there's so much to account for in each player. If you're making a list, look at the FIRST sheet of the PR database and what Zinoto said.

Last edited:

stewyian

Smash Ace
Without further ado, Myself, Julian Carrington, and Kalle 'Ori' Wanagat have decided it be time to release the Power Rankings for season 1 of Michigan Smash 4, December 2014 - April 2015!!!!
1) Pulse | Zinoto
2) Rayquaza07
3) LOE1
4) Lou Rich
5) Pulse | Stewy
6) Ksev
7)Pulse | Ryuga
8) Smasher1001
9) Nom
10) Pzo
11) Sethsational
12) Hyper Crasher
We have looked at the entirety of the tournaments within the ranking period of all tournaments attended by Michigan players that have at least 24 entrants with 5$ entry. Losses were more heavily considered in placement than wins, while head to head is very important, who you lost to is the best indicator of someones overall consistency and skill since at this stage it is hard to determine what a "good win" is. For example Hyper Crasher struggled early in the season, so he had quite a few losses early in the season, so in Januaury we would not have considered Hyper Crasher as a "good win", but he quickly stepped his game up and by March he was taking many names, as you can see it would be hard to determine when exactly to consider him as a "good win". With that being said losses are the number one thing we looked at, with head to head being the next determining factor. We also considered tournaments later in the season more heavily when making the list. For example Lou Rich had 3 very strong performances at the end of the season, placing second at all the events, which was a large reason of his high ranking on the PR. The official image will be released this weekend by Kalle, the next ranking period will begin with Spau tomorrow, and end August 31

Last edited:

Nominate10

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-3932-8404
Man, it's been one heck of a season. Congrats to everyone who made it on.

You'll be seeing my name higher next time ;)

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
shouldn't pr be limited to 10 players? u can hm's but more than 10 just seems odd
HMs are a stupid concept to be real. You might as well slap a number on for HMs because that is generally the same effect. Also 10 does tend to be the default number, but many regions have been doing 10+ for Smash 4 because the game is so new. Down the line I could see the likelihood of 10 man PRs becoming the norm.

no ori in top 10, wut r u doin m8 smh
I fudged up hard, I apologize ;~;

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I have edited the OP with the new Spreadsheet link and edited the title to show that rankings are live.

I am still working on the PR image. I'm hoping to have it completed by Monday night at the latest.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Hey guys, I know I'm jumping in the middle of another thread here, but I wanted to let you guys know that we've got a big event coming up for Smash 4 and we're trying to get the word out. FC Return will take place the weekend of July 4-5, and we'll be streamed by VGBootcamp. We're trying to at least get the entire Midwest in for it (already pulling in a good group in Indiana and Ohio), and hopefully pull in a few national names with the help of VGBC.

https://www.facebook.com/events/795820207174947/

We'll definitely keep an eye on this thread for use in seeding prior to the event if some of you intend to come out! Hope to see some of you there!

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
That's fine Kish, I'll be sure to let players in our state know about it in our FB group. Not sure on the interest though because it is on a holiday weekend.

exJ0RDANary

Smash Cadet
It's a lame holiday. Reed bros. will be attending Smash FC. Honestly though, we'll be there more so because it will probably be a great Melee tourney to watch live, than for Smash 4. The rules say Evo standard, so I imagine that means customs will be legal. We'll probably enter, but neither of us think that Smash 4 with customs is worth taking seriously. That's why we dropped our plans to go to Evo. :/

Nominate10

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-3932-8404
Who's supposed to be updating the spreadsheet? It hasn't been updated since Shuffle VII.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Who's supposed to be updating the spreadsheet? It hasn't been updated since Shuffle VII.
I'll likely be editing it today. I need to update the OP here with the June events and the spreadsheet with June and July events.

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93
I'm becoming more and more convinced that this PR is an east side echo chamber. There's not a single event on the "eligible tournaments" list west of Livonia, despite the fact that Kings of Kzoo III had 35 SmUsh singles entrants. King James is 2-0 vs Hyper Crasher, Miloni is 2-0 against Sethsational, and SkaterJayy beat LouRich at Aquafire with a very convincing two-stock in game three. I watched two West MI players the PR committee has never heard of hang near even with King James in money matches yesterday. There's a lot more talent over here than you guys are willing to acknowledge.

The Tournament's ruleset must follow a standardization similar to past tournaments that have counted towards a ranking period.
If you're disregarding customs legal tournaments based on this rule, I'm just gonna start ignoring this list entirely.

Last edited:

Planet God Venus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyugaVII
I'm becoming more and more convinced that this PR is an east side echo chamber. There's not a single event on the "eligible tournaments" list west of Livonia, despite the fact that Kings of Kzoo III had 35 SmUsh singles entrants. King James is 2-0 vs Hyper Crasher, Miloni is 2-0 against Sethsational, and SkaterJayy beat LouRich at Aquafire with a very convincing two-stock in game three. I watched two West MI players the PR committee has never heard of hang near even with King James in money matches yesterday. There's a lot more talent over here than you guys are willing to acknowledge.

If you're disregarding customs legal tournaments based on this rule, I'm just gonna start ignoring this list entirely.

Why must you do this? I do agree West MI has potential for lower pr though

Nominate10

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-3932-8404

Customs is simply a different meta. That being said, I don't think that's enough yet to disqualify a tournament from eligibility, since we do have Smash n Splash on the list.

You guys also don't put yourselves out there enough. I don't think many people knew Kings of Kzoo III even happened, you guys didn't say anything.
And while you do definitely have some PR potentials, I don't think anyone has done enough to deserve them a spot. Performances weren't that excellent the couple times you/we have travelled. Beating one PR player (especially if they're on the lower end) doesn't net you a spot alone.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
First off,
Chill the hell out. You are a some random west mi kid coming in here yelling like an idiot trying to provoke something rather than try to politely ask a question to start a discussion. East MI acknowledges that West MI has an inkling of talent with James, Miloni, and Jay but that is basically it. The PR reflects the East side because this is where 95% of tourneys happen and where 95% of the relevant players live.

Second,
You claim that there are no "eligible tournaments" west of Livonia which is a lie. Sure there are events on your side of the state that could count if I am notified about them. How am I, an Eastern TO supposed to know about West MI events when they are so scarce and rarely ever posted in the ultra active MI Smash 4 group? I included a section in the FAQ about how people should bring something up to me if an event is technically eligible.

Third,
This bold claim on west MI having records vs PR'd players. That may have been true last season but not currently, for the most part. Did you know that after each season a Player's W/L record is reset to 0????? *WOW WOAH WOW SUCH A CONCEPT?! The reason why this is a thing is to allow Non PR'd and PR'd players to start at an equal footing as a new season begins. Currently only SkaterJayy has done something worth writing home about which is beating LouRich once and since then hasn't entered an event, he'd likely lose if they rematched. James has defeated Tech and Kipdog who are currently on the watch list so I /could/ see him being added back to the spreadsheet if he comes out to more events.

Fourth,
Money Matches are not even remotely close to being viewed as a reason to rank someone. That's like me trying to use a super serious friendly with LouRich or Nom and say "Hey man, these were really close. I think I can be on the spreadsheet now!!!!1!" If you or any West MI player think they have what it takes to make it on this ranking come out to where the big boys play, where competition is super fierce.

clearly they are being considered if Smash N' Splash is being listed. Get out of here with the chump mentality and stick to your tiny sphere of influence that is West MI.

ANYWAYS,

If you guys hold a nice sized Smash 4 tourney this month or in July I would love to get a carpool of Easterners to come out to you all for the kind donations to us.

Here are what weekends look like for Smash this summer. Find one that work best for you guys and it doesn't conflict with Eastern Events.

• June 13/14th: Smash N' Splash
• June 20th: DRDN's World (Livonia), E2C 15 (Chicago)
• June 27th - Available (Sadly I'm busy)
• June 28th - GGSS Smash 4 Circuit event
• July 4th - Holiday, FC Return (IN), EXP 2015 (CAN)
• July 5th - GGSS (Smash 4 on the Side)
• July 11th - SPAU 5
• July 18th - Available (EVO weekend though)
• July 25th - Available

• July 26th - GGSS Smash 4 Circuit

We out.

Last edited:

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93
Chill the hell out. You are a some random west mi kid coming in here yelling like an idiot trying to provoke something rather than try to politely ask a question to start a discussion.
*WOW WOAH WOW SUCH A CONCEPT?!
Fair enough, I may have been a bit heated in my post. I'll admit I'm not in a position to have an especially informed opinion on the topic, and I should have considered that when setting the tone of my post. That said, I don't think that you being condescending and memeing for the approval of your friends is very conducive to good discussion. I'm capable of admitting when I'm wrong (I was), you didn't have to grandstand to get me to say so.

Money Matches are not even remotely close to being viewed as a reason to rank someone. That's like me trying to use a super serious friendly with LouRich or Nom and say "Hey man, these were really close. I think I can be on the spreadsheet now!!!!1!"
Again, relatively new to the scene, so I was basing these record claims on what other players have said, and I assumed they were referring to tournament sets. I also assumed that any tournament excluded from the eligible list was omitted intentionally, so apologies for the misunderstanding on that one as well.

Get out of here with the chump mentality and stick to your tiny sphere of influence that is West MI
I would love to get a carpool of Easterners to come out to you all for the kind donations to us.
Can you understand why this entire half of the state might feel marginalized when you repeatedly say stuff like this? I get it, people naturally want to form rivalries with outgroups, especially the competitive kind of people that the tournament scene attracts, and I'll admit that my tone invited me being knocked down a peg or two. This is reminding me of the toxic BS that constantly flies back and forth between the communities for each smash game. I think there's a lot to gain from working cooperatively to promote one another's scenes. Just because we enjoy customs and most of you on the east side don't doesn't mean we can't acknowledge each others' rulesets as valid and interesting in their own ways.

I accept equal responsibility in the direction this conversation took, and I'd like to back up and apologize. I could have responded to your post by getting pissed and hurling your insults back at you, but that wouldn't make anybody happy, and it would just escalate things and ensure that our scenes become even more divided. MI is small enough as it is, I think we should be focusing on promoting the state as a whole. Pretend this post is an olive branch. I know, I know, it's not especially wooden, nor would the fruit it yields taste very good on a salad, but use your imagination.

Anyway, I'm talking to some experienced west side TOs about running or helping run some future events here, because I, even with my limited experience, have seen how kickass this community is, and I want to help it grow. We're gonna revive the Tom Nook monthlies for Sm4sh exclusively, we're looking at July 4th as the date for the first one, but nothing is set in stone. I'll be sure to post in the Michigan Smash 4 group when we've got things figured out. I'm not just some kid who wants to stir **** up, and I don't want to make any enemies. I intend to stick around for the long run and hopefully offer my free time to help make events in Michigan as mind-blowingly awesome as they can be. I genuinely do feel bad for being accusatory, because making enemies isn't the best way to start doing that.

I don't think many people knew Kings of Kzoo III even happened, you guys didn't say anything.
I wasn't involved in organizing or promoting KoK III, but for what it's worth, I spoke to a few east side players who came out for it, and they didn't hear about Rebirth. For the record, KoK III had the June 6 date announced, publicized, and finalized at least a full week before Rebirth IV did. I dunno who was running Rebirth, but it, again, left a lot of us feeling like you don't care about or are even actively working against the WM scene, though I'm sure that's not the case. That's the kind of stuff I'm hoping to avoid via better communication - are we agreed on that goal?

TL;DR: I'm sorry for my incendiary tone. I think we can all benefit from more cooperation and less antagonization, and I let my emotions get in the way of that. I'll do my best to promote communication and goodwill between our scenes in the future, and I hope and predict to see the same from y'all.

TL;DRTL;DR: my b

Last edited:

Nominate10

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-3932-8404
I believe rebirths date was chosen a good while before actually publicized. The conflicting dates would easily have been avoided if the tournament was promoted on our FB group (a simple post with a smashboards / fb event link would suffice!). I'm not placing the blame on you, but on the actual TO's of the event for keeping the rest of the state in the dark.

Also, I'm pretty sure the tone of Ori's post was more or less playful. Besides, a bit of trash talk in either direction is what keeps a scene healthy ;)

All that being said, who are the TO's out there? It'd be nice to drag them into this and get their input.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
You are fine Jpot, I was being satirical on purpose to try and get a point across. If you've ever met me you'd know I'm here for the scene and I usually am one of the most honest leaders you'll meet. We need to establish a unit amongst the Eastern/Western TOs to promote cross play. Which is why I posted every tourney that I know is happening in Michigan this summer.

Top Bottom