• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data The Official Kirby Match-up Thread

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
Most good Game and Watch players can easily out space kirby making it very difficult for kirby to punish anything.
Fair and wavedash up-tilt / F-tilt are some of Kirby's few punish options in the Match-up. Never use kirby's dash attack in this mu, as almost all of G&W's moves have priority.
G&W has superior movement, attack range, and combos in this MU. I have a lot of experience in this MU, trust me, it's bad.
I never said anything about Kirby's Dash-Attack, I was talking about G&W's and in the event that he misses it. There's a string of 9 frames at the end of G&W's Dash-Attack that don't have a hitbox, making him vulnerable to any attack from Kirby, Similarly with G&W's Ftilt, having 15 frames of ending lag. So as long as you can punish on the landing lag frames, you've got something to work with.

Gold Dart

Smash Apprentice
lol one day I'll learn how to read :facepalm: Regardless, Kirby's dash attack is pretty bad lol.
Not many G&Ws will even attempt to use F-tilt as it is one of the worst moves in the game.
You brought up a good point about punishing G&W's missed ledge cancels. It's not something I thought about previously when playing in the MU, even though it seems pretty obvious now XD

Last edited:

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
lol one day I'll learn how to read :facepalm: Regardless, Kirby's dash attack is pretty bad lol.
Not many G&Ws will even attempt to use F-tilt as it is one of the worst moves in the game.
You brought up a good point about punishing G&W's missed ledge cancels. It's not something I thought about previously when playing in the MU, even though it seems pretty obvious now XD
Thank you for understanding, and I'm glad I could help out. ^u^

Kaddy

Smash Journeyman
It's a very crouch heavy match-up. Her D-Smash and Needles are the main things I think that really make the match-up in her favor. However, while you're crouching, Sheik for the most part can't really do anything constructive. Try spacing her out with D-Tilts, working on your D-Throw reaction tech-chases, swallowing for needles if possible, and ledgehogging and bairing once she recovers on stage. I can't think of other things right now, but those should help you some.

F. Stein

Smash Journeyman
Excellent, that's actually some of the things I was wondering about lol. I assumed needles were pretty useful for kirby and that crouch would be king. Can she actually grab while Kirby is crouched?

1000BlueKirby

Smash Rookie
Excellent, that's actually some of the things I was wondering about lol. I assumed needles were pretty useful for kirby and that crouch would be king. Can she actually grab while Kirby is crouched?

Her traditional grab hitbox will never hit kirby, same goes for a jump cancelled Grab. (they can hit, but you have to be on yoshi's curvy edges.

It does seem that a well timed Dash grab or a boost grab will make contact with a crouching kirby

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Sheik cannot standing grab Kirby if he recently crouched. But after a few seconds, while crouching, Kirby starts doing a little dance, and pops his head up a little higher. I think Sheik can grab that animation.

Last edited:

1000BlueKirby

Smash Rookie
Sheik cannot standing grab Kirby if he recently crouched. But after a few seconds, while crouching, Kirby starts doing a little dance, and pops his head up a little higher. I think Sheik can grab that animation.

Huh, makes sence

So i guess the way to prevent that would be crouch resetting fast ( tilting the joystick down, then slightly to the left or right then repeating that move fast over and over, idk the name i call it crouchreset) so kirby can mess up timings

Also the dash grab and boost grab have trouble hitting, Like they do hit but you have to be precise. they're easy to miss. ( i think the second hit box behind shiek never grabs, but the one in front of shiek can grab but its got a good room for error)

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Yeah you can simply walk forward for a few frames and re-crouch.
If you want to reset Kirby's crouch animation, you can cancel into any number of things. The above suggested walking is a good example, another is to release the Crouch back to Stand and then back down to Crouch again. This is if you don't need to move horizontal, and it's even easier to perform than walking.

Offensively, you can attack with D-tilt (which keeps Kirby squished) and continue to hold Down. He will return to Crouch on the first available frame.

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Yo it's the Kirby legend himself. Did you happen to read my thread about the Final Cutter tech chase setup? I was hoping to get a few more experienced players' input.

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Yo it's the Kirby legend himself. Did you happen to read my thread about the Final Cutter tech chase setup? I was hoping to get a few more experienced players' input.
I saw it before posting here, but I will have to wait until I have time for a response.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
ChivalRuse ChivalRuse
You're going to have to give me a URL or clickable link for that thread you mentioned because I looked for it and didn't see it. I also looked through your posting history to try to find it but you have a lot of posts and SmashBoards no longer has the "advanced search" options to help me narrow things down.

Top Bottom