• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data The Official Kirby Match-up Thread

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
Fox and Falco cannot jump out of Kirby's dthrow, easiest way to check with character can is to put them to lvl 9 and dthrow from 0-200%(or whatever) and see if they ever get out of it..
The lvl 9computer will always nair if it can or struggle to land without lag.. ALWAYS
A lvl 9 Fox couldn't break free even at 247% and by that point I could chaingrab him with it..
So no fast fallers are able to jump/shine/upB out of it.. I think Roy can't jump out of it, until late % but Marth can upB out of it, at higher %(I think 40-50) you can dthrow and then shield asap to block the upB and then punish with w/e..

No real downfall that some chars can jump out of it(those who can nair or got a dangerous upB or such are somewhat annoying but just backthrow or upthrow all day instead.), most characters don't have a real threat when they're above someone so just, pivot bair their ***** and follow up.
----

Anywho, just came home from a tourney and I kirby ***** again, I tried to MM people but after playing some friendlies with me they changed their minds..
I played alot of friendlies with Hack(He came 3rd at the tourney and I came 7th fyi)
We tried out those "9:1 - 10:0" matchups and alot of other matchups and we came to reason that
Shiek vs Kirby is 55:45 or 60:40 in Sheik favor and Marths 65:35 in Marths favor
Beating his Marth on PS (JV2 stock) and beating Aniolas Sheik(JV3 stock I seem to get alot of JVs with Kirby as of late lol)
And we played Kirby vs Fox and played best of 3 he won 2-1 just barely, both players was at high % at the end of the 3rd match, that's some 10:0 matchup right there.

Played some Falco's and I still believe that if Kirby obtain the lazer it's a 50/50 MU, if he don't get it it's a 65:35 probably, I find this MU really fun to play.
Most of the matches I played with Kirby got recorded fyi.

Quick MU %

Bowser 8:2 in Kirby's favor (maybe even 9:1)
Peach 75/80:25/20 in Peachs favor (It's not so hard to play this matchup tbh so don't take these nrs so serious I haven't played it enough to give a strong defense for this.)
Luigi 75:25 in Kirby's favor
Pikachu 65:35 in Pikachu's favor (this matchup ain't hard but again I have faced 2 different styles of Pikachu's and both wasn't that hard to play against.. but for now it's 65 in Pikachu's favor..)
Mewtwo 8:2 in Kirby's favor (Really.. he can't get past Kirby's defense at all, and if Kirby obtain the shadow ball it's even more broken.. bair to shadow ball for the kill at mid %)
DK - will not write a MU but if Kirby get the DK punch you can utilt to DK punch for the kill at mid % (weak utilt at 70+ and strong before 70..
Jigglypuff 8:2 in Jiggly's favor... (man it's hard to get inside.. but I thought of some stuff that helped me but it's hard..)
Falco 65:35 in Falco's favor / 5:5 - Okay MU without the laser, even MU if you get the laser
Fox 70 or 75 in Fox favor, really stage dependent so if you count in mute city, brinstar and such stages you get a more even matchup but if you only count neutral stages then BF and YS are the best choices, PS works and FD works and you should avoid DL64 at all times I guess.
Roy he ****ing sucks, you can't lose..

There, might do a full list but I don't feel like writing anymore, so gg..

Triple R

Smash Lord
I get the feeling that people have very different playstyles from the US to EU, cause some of those ratios made me giggle inside lol. I do agree that the ratios on the OP are completely dumb and laughable though. Kirby just isn't around much so agreed upon ratios are hard to come by. I'm actually curious what other people think the ratios should be. I might add my list sometime tomorrow just for fun.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
http://ajpanton.se/ssbm/101008-SKN2/Others/

Nizro's Kirby and Armada's Zelda, ****** two spacies (Pepito is ~top5 in Sweden, but relatively new so might be inexperienced with low tiers).
Note that the winner's names come first in the filenames.

Might put some of these on Youtube later, right now trying to get the rest of the videos up from the tournament (and hundreds of friendlies, including more of Nizro's, Hack's and maybe Armada's Kirbys).

'V'

Smash Lord
My matchup ratios: Kirby then opponent

Pichu - 60 : 40
Bowser - 60 : 40
Ness - 60 : 40
Yoshi - 50 : 50
GW - 40 : 60
Roy - 55 : 45
Y. Link - 40 : 60
Zelda - 40 : 60
Mewtwo - 35 : 65
Pikachu - 50 : 50
Luigi - 30 : 70
DK - 45 : 55
Link - 40 : 60
Mario - 45 : 55
Doc - 45 : 55
Samus - 40 : 60
Ganon - 30 : 70
Ice Climbers - 40 : 60
C. Falcon - 35 : 65
Peach - 20 : 80
Marth - 30 : 70
Sheik - 30 : 70
Jigglypuff - 35 : 65
Falco - 35 : 65
Fox - 30 : 70

'V'

Smash Lord
Well the reason I say that is because Peach takes away Kirby's ability to space in the air. Her B-air is more disjointed than his. He can't fight her on the ground because she's very rarely on the ground. She has projectiles for zoning him. And every stage that he does well on, she does better on. It's a really terrible matchup.

At least he can get in on Falco and Fox, albeit it's really hard. I think Marth and Sheik could be a little worse now that I look back on it, but I kinda made that list mostly to add to conversation.

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
I played Armadas and Hacks Peach last tourney and it's not so hard as people think..(regarding that dash attack, bair outta shield is awesome) but yeah regarding that we play different is probably the main reason why it's so different over here..
But really I think the strongest difference is that we got great players playing the character showing more of it's capabilites.

I played alot of matchups to showcase what you should do in each matchup but, suprise suprise, the best one of them all got owned when recorded again.. It's was between Hack and me, he used marth and I kirby, I won that match JV2(lol I sure love JVs) and I was like "This match was great, it'll show 'em" then I hear from AJP that people have been messing around on his computer so the recording stopped/got stuck.. so gg on that.
Hack laughed so hard when I told him about the MU% here..
If those were correct then I would have gotten 2-3 stock'd PERIOD no if's or but's because a 9:1 and to some 10:0 I would never win, ever.

I might go Kirby all out some tourney to see where I'll place.

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
Well I think it was give and take really, if he started a grab war I would outgrab him(either using duck or actually just outranging him because Kirby's grab range is just as ridiculous)
If he would shorthop fair space I would time a WD in between and ftilt him or something like that..
I can't really explain how I play, when I get in the mode I just start doing the right moves.

Just a really important thing to take into account here, he can't kill me with his dair, so going under Marth is really reliable, because he either fsmash, dtilt your ***, and you'll tech that to insta B for the ledge
Or he'll hold the edge and roll(or he doesn't depends if he still got invincibility left) and do a really mild punish.. so most players will fsmash the ledge and that's not so dangerous.

This matchup is basicly just play like a Marth, Kirby is basicly a Small cuddly Marth and you should think that 2 can play that game.

Just saying stuff here, I have alot of Marth exp, you gotta know that MU when you play CF, and I've played alot of Marth dittos too(Marth being my 2nd main that's kinda given)... these 2 combined + Kirby might give me a upper hand.
Because I know how Marth plays, how he spaces, how he combos etc and I know how fatal a bad recovery can be thanks to CF.
I think that because of the characters I've played until now I can pretty much make sense of how I gotta play Kirby, you gotta techchase and read(CF) you gotta space and gimp(Marth).. It actually feels like I'm playing a mix of 2 chars every now and then.

I seriously fight for Kirby.

Triple R

Smash Lord
Just a really important thing to take into account here, he can't kill me with his dair, so going under Marth is really reliable
Do you mean comboing or edgeguarding? Are you suggesting recovering low against Marth? I'm not sure if that's what you meant or not.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Marth can kill with Dair pretty well over here in the NTSC version where we cant Meteor Cancel it.

Edit:

But really I think the strongest difference is that we got great players playing the character showing more of it's capabilites.
I think the real difference is you've never played Pink Shinobi lmao. Pink Shinobi doesnt play against low tiers, he just shuts them down and lols. Have you seen this match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTNaAUJZz5k?

Pink Shinobi did that to me in a FRIENDLY! Keep in mind Nizro I've never actually said you yourself are the one playing the match up poorly, you're doing pretty much everything you can do with a Kirby. However there are strategies that outright shut kirby down, he has no ability to deal with them whatsoever. Fox/Kirby isnt 100/0 because kirby cant find a way past shine pressure, Fox/Kirby is 100/0 because a fox that understands that Kirby cant get to a top platform quickly can legitimately run the timer out on him on any given stage. Yeah we have stages where he CANT do that but we also operate under a stage striking system which means it doesnt matter. PS took 7 minutes before he took a stock from me and at the time he had all of 56% He understood that you dont have to fight kirby to beat him, sort of like Ganon lol.

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
What I meant was actually what P reaper stated, I'm not playing NTSC, I'm playing PAL.
So I got more viable recovery options.

In NTSC you should recover high or mid but use caution.. you can always space so you don't get dair'd but he can then do a bair instead so, you kinda got to know what he's going for, if he's going to bair you, then do a quick fast fall under it.. if he dair's space so you don't get hit and he'll lag enough for you to get further in or grab the ledge.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
In actuality you can recover low against Marth but it takes a good amount of practice. You can properly time an Air Dodge through his Dair and make it either on stage or on ledge but its a really small window since Kirby takes for god **** ever to grab the ledge out of a free fall and Marth's Dair is huge.

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I know, but you should always carry the airdodge option as a suprise, he shouldn't be expecting you to airdodge cause he'll bait it, if you use it a tad to much.
So use it but use it well :)

edit: I seriously want to play someone like Pink Shinobi to see how I would fare against that sort of camping.. I have played against campy Foxes I often ask people to camp the **** outta me, but everyone got a pattern and I'll catch them mid air and then proceed to take the stock.
But really I want to know all sides of the MU in tourney's I would surely change my char if I know that the person I'm facing will camp me and does it REALLY REALLY good then I'll change, just like Ganondorf players should.
I feel sorry for slow character mainers tbh.

But yeah, I would want to face real campers that win every match with time. ofc I wouldn't be playing them all that long, maybe 3-5 matches to know the pattern of a good camper and that's it.
But KJ64 is basicly just asking to get camped on, I would ban it everyday if I were a Kirby mainer, that and DL64.

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
Played some more against different Marth players and *****, I talked with him like
- Did you know that this is a 9:1 to 10:0 MU, Sure looks like it huh? :)
-Seriously, do you think this is the worst character in the game?
-..No, totally not.. though I haven't played much against Kirby but I can definitely say that he's a good character.. he's not bottom tier.

This guy is a Sheik main with Marth as his 2nd, he's close/better than Aniolas so no johns that it's a scrub I'm pwning..
I'm considering playing Kirby at BEAST, if I ever feel like "My CF just don't work atm.."
And after BEAST, I'mma play Kirby through the whole next tourney.. I'll post matches frm BEAST if I play with him in the tourney..
I'll most likely pull him out in teams, but if CF doesn't work at all I'll take him out in singles too.

Anywho, Marth ain't a problem so far.. worst opponent atm is probably Fox but he's a problem for every character in the game so that's nothing new.
*might be some spelling, grammar mistakes.. been up all night.

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
Just wanna say that if they DI away those kind of combos might not connect.. just saying.
So stick to 1(or 2 but, they can react to the 2nd hit then) hit fair(Just the first fair hitbox and not the grounding one) to fsmash, bair etc on higher lvl of play..

BunBun

Smash Master
Unless they smash every frame, they'd still get hit by uair.

Basically, if they don't start DIing away at the first hit, they're getting hit by one strong hit for sure.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
So yes, this is a bump (but I'm trying to revive these boards anyway), but I also have a legit Q? The way you guys talk about Kirby's fair makes it seem like it's cancellable. How do u perform these "fair(Just the first fair hitbox and not the grounding one) to fsmash" combos?

Massive

Smash Champion
Old threads make me lol.
Especially match-up ratios based purely on anecdotal experience.

Also, Fair to fsmash isn't really a combo, but fair to uair is.

You can always L-cancel the fair then fsmash, although I doubt the usefulness of it considering how ineffective fsmash is at just about everything.

The closest thing to a real grounding combo kirby has is dair > utilt, but even that's pretty situational.

'V'

Smash Lord
Maybe at low percentages and they choose to DI upwards. At higher percentages, it's better to just go for the first 2 hits seeing as how they have little to no knockback.

Massive

Smash Champion
But in that case, can't Kirby's fair be CC'd and retaliated against? Then again, I feel like that would happen to all of Kirby's aerials at some point...
If they're CCing you just pull the fair back before the last hit and don't get punished.
If they have a history of CCing you can just approach with dair and laugh at them.

Top Bottom