• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

OldHickory

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3007-9257-4809
I admire your roster though, masochist or not. Maybe you have a knack for that type of character!

I’ve always been more of a zoner type, but I try to adapt to characters that I like.

Think I’m going to solo main Hero because there’s just so much to cover. And I want to make my past main look like a casual pick in comparison.
So, the full reason for my devotion to Shulk and Robin is a combination of seeing their stories all the way through beginning to end, them being characters I used as role models when I was figuring myself out back in high school, and their nuance and complications and nuance closely aligning with my personal philosophies of fighting games.
It's a hell of a lot more than just liking them or their play style.
Hopefully The Hero will fall in line with them, and I'll learn something and improve further.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
Did anyone else notice the Hero using Psyche Up in the trailer? Solo does it immediately after using Bounce.
(Sorry for not providing a direct link to the image. Smashboards isn't being nice today).
I'm surprised there isn't any visual indication of the Hero's Tension after using it. I was assuming they'd be constantly glowing purple, but I suppose it's more accurate to the source material this way.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Did anyone else notice the Hero using Psyche Up in the trailer? Solo does it immediately after using Bounce.
(Sorry for not providing a direct link to the image. Smashboards isn't being nice today).
I'm surprised there isn't any visual indication of the Hero's Tension after using it. I was assuming they'd be constantly glowing purple, but I suppose it's more accurate to the source material this way.
So it IS psyche up! Yeah, I’m perplexed as to why it doesn’t have a visual indication. (Maybe that’s why it’s “almost” finished).
I’m actually pleased you can turn around and even choose other commands while Bounce. Heck, if we could move while Bounce, we’re in for some fun matches against projectile spammers.

I wonder how Ironize will work though. Can you get grabbed out of it? Can you get wind-box’d Off the stage? Can you act out of it immediately, or is there a time penalty / end lag?

I don’t want to say that I’m worried that he’ll be broken, because I’m maining him either way, but I feel all the tools we were given could potentially lead to no bad matchups.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
is anyone else bummed that The Hero has A Vague Release date of "Sometime In Summer 2019"?

there were quite a few fans who had hoped that things would be running smoothly after Joker's release and that we wouldn't have to keep making guesses on when the character would come out after their reveal

Joker seemed so bad because he was announced way too early and that was due to The vga's
Honestly, the wait for Joker wasn't too bad. Took about the same amount of time to get Mewtwo in Smash 4, and he was a veteran who got no new stage.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
That feel when you just found out this thread exists rofl
Saaaame my dude lol

I really hope The Hero(es) arrive before the end of June. I am eager to try them out.

One thing I am curious on. How does everyone feel about Tansut's claim of Erdrick? Does this put a notch on his credibility? Or is it so-so?

I don't really care either way, but I was pleasantly surprised first the Luminary and then Eight, Solo and then Erdrick being alts/characters.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Saaaame my dude lol

I really hope The Hero(es) arrive before the end of June. I am eager to try them out.

One thing I am curious on. How does everyone feel about Tansut's claim of Erdrick? Does this put a notch on his credibility? Or is it so-so?

I don't really care either way, but I was pleasantly surprised first the Luminary and then Eight, Solo and then Erdrick being alts/characters.
I'd say it increases his credibility a bit. If people doubt him, well he now has two key people he got right. The other being cloud. However he isnt fully 100% since he did got the fem alt wrong

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well, he got a DQ Hero right. He "guessed" it was Erdrick, and Erdrick was in.
He got the alt. wrong, but then again... it was still early development.

I think this boosts his credibility a good bit. That's 2 characters from Square Enix.

-

On another note, you know what else has me really pumped up about all this?
Heroes don't tend to get a lot of shine outside their own game. I mean, sure Madason and Rek I think got a bit of exposure in Fortune Street.. and all heroes appeared in Battle Victory Road and Rivals.. But their lack of appearances in the west is precisely why people associate the series with Slime more.
So I'm extremely pleased that these heroes are finally out of the shadows, and got a proper introduction overseas.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
I stickied this thread, and I added links to the original discussion threads that started all of this.

Guess I really need to play Dragon Quest 8 now, huh? I just wish I could find an easy way to trim down my RPG backlog.

(Wait, it doesn't have to be the first thread that gets stickied and can be the second thread too?)
(RIP my Piranha Plant analysis that was the second thread in the Plant forum, I posted you out so soon)
(Wait, Zelda and Falco have similar threads that are pinned...)
(Why am I being so adamant about this 7 months later?)

Why is this post in this thread? Am I that desperate?

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
I still can't believe it, but for the years DQ will be part of the Smash pantheon, getting in on all sorts of group art.
Here is to the years to come!

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i honestly feel like there should be more hype for a character that has their own MP Gauge(With A Drop Down List)and doesn't come off as just another typical Sword fighter who can slide into the fire emblem category

i think that's the misconception a lot of people have with this character they just see it and think "Oh Great another boring sword-user who plays just like all the other anime sword fighters"

they have this belief that simply because DQ Hero has a sword that he's just generic and boring

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
i honestly feel like there should be more hype for a character that has their own MP Gauge(With A Drop Down List)and doesn't come off as just another typical Sword fighter who can slide into the fire emblem category

i think that's the misconception a lot of people have with this character they just see it and think "Oh Great another boring sword-user who plays just like all the other anime sword fighters"

they have this belief that simply because DQ Hero has a sword that he's just generic and boring
The ignorance has been rampant.

Some dude on Twitter even said "It's another swordsman with a down+b counter".
And other memes going around portraying them as Marth 5 6 and 7 (despite the shields being right there).

So my take? People just saw the splash screen, and turned their brains off.

If anything, Hero is among the Top 3 most unique sword fighters. Or Top 5 at the very least.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
[QUOTE = "shinhed-echi, post: 23399425, miembro: 79218"] La ignorancia ha estado desenfrenada.

Un tipo en Twitter incluso dijo "Es otro espadachín con un contador de down + b".
Y otros memes que los representan como Marth 5 6 y 7 (a pesar de que los escudos están ahí).

Así que mi toma? La gente acaba de ver la pantalla de bienvenida, y apagó sus cerebros.

En todo caso, Hero se encuentra entre los 3 mejores luchadores de espadas únicos. O al Top 5 como mínimo. [/ QUOTE]

Why do you think the people here are hating the hero so much

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
The ignorance has been rampant.

Some dude on Twitter even said "It's another swordsman with a down+b counter".
And other memes going around portraying them as Marth 5 6 and 7 (despite the shields being right there).

So my take? People just saw the splash screen, and turned their brains off.

If anything, Hero is among the Top 3 most unique sword fighters. Or Top 5 at the very least.
if DQ Was more popular outside japan this wouldn't be so bad...but because it's so obscure outside japan

a lot of gamers just think DQ Characters are irrelevant to the industry

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
if DQ Was more popular outside japan this wouldn't be so bad...but because it's so obscure outside japan

a lot of gamers just think DQ Characters are irrelevant to the industry

It's a little sad that it happens that dragon quest is very good saga

D

Deleted member

Thankfully I've seen many popular youtubers from the West like Nitro Rad or Vinny from Vinesauce loving the Hero.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Do you think that smash will help dragon quest to carve a niche in america and europe

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Well, I was won over with how Smash handled these characters. I'll have to wait til the servers uncrash to download Hero when he comes out, though.

I liked when the music swelled when Erdrick showed up in the trailer. It was well done.

So, is there a particular reason they chose the DQ rep to be Erdrick, Solo, Eight and Luminary? Erdrick is a very iconic character to the series and Luminary is from the newest game, but what's the impact of Solo and Eight? Also, why does Solo have a fish gill helmet?

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Well, I was won over with how Smash handled these characters. I'll have to wait til the servers uncrash to download Hero when he comes out, though.

I liked when the music swelled when Erdrick showed up in the trailer. It was well done.

So, is there a particular reason they chose the DQ rep to be Erdrick, Solo, Eight and Luminary? Erdrick is a very iconic character to the series and Luminary is from the newest game, but what's the impact of Solo and Eight? Also, why does Solo have a fish gill helmet?
I think they are supposed to be dragon wings. And the characters were picked to cover different eras, so Erdrick for the Erdrick trilogy and Solo for the Zenithian trilogy. Eight was picked for being the character the west is the most familiar with and because he is from the mid-2000s, meaning a lot of the 20s something who play smash are familiar with him.

D

Deleted member

Hey Hero thread!
Any news on the character yet?
I saw the new photographs.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Hi guys! This character looks like a blast to play, despite me not knowing a single thing about DQ (aside that it sells some delicious ice cream). So far, Erdrick is my favorite costume.

Also, I'm new to DQ, so this is my introduction to the series. Maybe I'll pick up DQ11 for the Switch when it comes out, but for now, I guess Hero would have to do

D

Deleted member

Hi guys! This character looks like a blast to play, despite me not knowing a single thing about DQ (aside that it sells some delicious ice cream). So far, Erdrick is my favorite costume.

Also, I'm new to DQ, so this is my introduction to the series. Maybe I'll pick up DQ11 for the Switch when it comes out, but for now, I guess Hero would have to do
Good choice with DQXIS.

I would also suggest to check out DQ8 for 3DS too if you are able. Many DQ fans such as myself find that one a good starting point for newcomers to the series alongside XI.

T1MMY

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone. I plan on playing Hero as a pocket or secondary character to start, though I am pretty awful with sword-using characters (I've mained Close-Quarter Combat forever). I've been such a long time *Dragon Quest* fan I really have no choice.

I'm wondering if I know any of you guys here over on the Hero Discord server already.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
During the week I ended up searching DQ Music, and ended up remembering about a boss named "Psaro The Manslayer", and I found quite cool it changed appearances during the battle, showing his evolving power through his metamorphosis.

I remember appearing in a DS... But I noticed something strange... that game said it actually was "DQ IV"... I was confused, I though... "Well... I would like to know how this looked when it was released, it must be a SNES Game considering the date"... But oh surprise...

It was a ****ing Famicom game; and the game actually had the transformations, and with an overall pretty decent effect... what?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
During the week I ended up searching DQ Music, and ended up remembering about a boss named "Psaro The Manslayer", and I found quite cool it changed appearances during the battle, showing his evolving power through his metamorphosis.

I remember appearing in a DS... But I noticed something strange... that game said it actually was "DQ IV"... I was confused, I though... "Well... I would like to know how this looked when it was released, it must be a SNES Game considering the date"... But oh surprise...

It was a ****ing Famicom game; and the game actually had the transformations, and with an overall pretty decent effect... what?
The versions after the nes all have good sprite animations, it's something that always impressed me. The nes ones didnt have that, but it wouldnt surprise me if there was a cool transformation. I wonder if dragon quest did it before final fantasy.

Troykv

Smash Master
The versions after the nes all have good sprite animations, it's something that always impressed me. The nes ones didnt have that, but it wouldnt surprise me if there was a cool transformation. I wonder if dragon quest did it before final fantasy.
Oh I definitely I'm aware of that.

I'm just impressed they decided to go a step further with this battle in particular, because the rest of the game is pretty much completely still.

(BTW; I also ended up seeing the battle of Erdrick's Final Boss in the SNES Version; I like how it has a unique animations for each of his main actions).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Many of the games at the end of the NES life were impressive technologically-wise compared to the early ones. Just compare SMB to SMB3 and the difference is enormous.

Psaro is one of the most interesting enemies and his design is pretty much proto-Sephiroth.

Troykv

Smash Master
Many of the games at the end of the NES life were impressive technologically-wise compared to the early ones. Just compare SMB to SMB3 and the difference is enormous.

Psaro is one of the most interesting enemies and his design is pretty much proto-Sephiroth.
Oh yeah, bosses like Nightmare in Kirby's Adventure would be pretty hard to do (and Kirby's Adventure as whole, damn that is a beautiful game) without killing the game; the improvements in cartridge capacity and optimization makes wonder.

I also found it quite cool what they did with Psaro because it proves that DQ wasn't just a franchise that got stale pretty quicky, they indeed tried to improve despite having a franchise out of DQ since the last entry.

And I didn't know transformations in boss battles were a thing in console prior to Gen 4.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

DQ4 is probably the most technically impressive game on the NES. Party members had actual AI, there were multiple enemy transformations mid-battle (not just Psaro, King Slimes also come to mind but I don't recall if there's more), the function of the chapter system, it's so impressive that it's all packed onto a NES cartridge.

Troykv

Smash Master
DQ4 is probably the most technically impressive game on the NES. Party members had actual AI, there were multiple enemy transformations mid-battle (not just Psaro, King Slimes also come to mind but I don't recall if there's more), the function of the chapter system, it's so impressive that it's all packed onto a NES cartridge.
Things like things makes me understand how a person (a friend of mine) that fundamentally dislikes DQ's power scaling system... still respect the franchise, a lot. He's completely aware of all the things it did for the industry (good and bad) and how is a icon of it, proven how RPGs would be more that just niche PC Games.

The Legacy of Dragon Quest it's a powerful one; and it wasn't just a product of luck; it was actually crafted quite well... better I actually expected.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Things like things makes me understand how a person (a friend of mine) that fundamentally dislikes DQ's power scaling system... still respect the franchise, a lot. He's completely aware of all the things it did for the industry (good and bad) and how is a icon of it, proven how RPGs would be more that just niche PC Games.
What is fundamentally disliking a power scaling system? :p

Troykv

Smash Master
What is fundamentally disliking a power scaling system? :p
He doesn't like that you can win the game essencially grinding and grinding indefinitely (he compares it, funnily enough, with how DBZ deals with it's villains, with "grinding" in the Time Chamber, or with a Kaio/Kami)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
He doesn't like that you can win the game essencially grinding and grinding indefinitely (he compares it, funnily enough, with how DBZ deals with it's villains, with "grinding" in the Time Chamber, or with a Kaio/Kami)
ohh. Well, most rpgs have that, but i think it's actually fun in dragon quest, especially that you do need to grind a little. I dont like games that scale monster levels, that kinda makes the point of levels moot. I can excuse it in a few cases tho. Borderlands is weird with that, some places the monsters scales and others they dont.

I think it's great because someone can choose how hard they want the game to be. People who want it to be easy can grind a lot and feel overpowered. People who want a challenge only need to do the ones on the way.

But everyone has their own tastes so it's fine ;)

Troykv

Smash Master
ohh. Well, most rpgs have that, but i think it's actually fun in dragon quest, especially that you do need to grind a little. I dont like games that scale monster levels, that kinda makes the point of levels moot. I can excuse it in a few cases tho. Borderlands is weird with that, some places the monsters scales and others they dont.

I think it's great because someone can choose how hard they want the game to be. People who want it to be easy can grind a lot and feel overpowered. People who want a challenge only need to do the ones on the way.

But everyone has their own tastes so it's fine ;)
That is mostly the mindset I have with grinding, I think it's okay unless it completely trivializes the game (aka: You can one shot bosses or other dumb stuff it shouldn't be possible under normal play, I think having a bit higher stats to take or do more damage it's reasonable).

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That is mostly the mindset I have with grinding, I think it's okay unless it completely trivializes the game (aka: You can one shot bosses or other dumb stuff it shouldn't be possible under normal play, I think having a bit higher stats to take or do more damage it's reasonable).
Usually i dont like being overpowered on a first playthrough. Or sometimes what i have an idea to do is beat the game normally and then overpower myself after that, and see how easy the boss is later :p

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
512kb! All of it in a size that my fridge could handle these days, isn't it crazy?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Another thing that's amazing is that we'll be getting a lot more spells and skills than we ever would've expected for smash:

Sizzle, Psyche Up, Oomph, Snooze, Zap, Frizz, Kaclang, Bounce, Kamikazee, Swoosh, Zoom, Kacrackle Slash

and possibly Heal and Zapple (or something, from the pictures), as well as maybe some others. (maybe even another slash?)
+The offensive spells may be chargeable.

that's 12 to 16 spells + if we count charged up versions may mean up to 18 or even 20 :O

Last edited:
Top Bottom