• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

Slime Master

Smash Ace
I don't think not knowing exactly how the menu system works warrants a video, there's almost always some unknowns in exactly how a gimmick works prior to release, notably including Cloud's limit mechanic. Doing some very quick and not particularly thorough research, it looks like mii costumes for some of smash 4's DLC were unknown till release. The stage's mechanics might warrant a video, but I don't know that that's enough evidence to say one is definitely happening.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
It wouldn't surprise me at all if there was no way to replenish MP until you lost a stock. However, if you could, I imagine it would work like this:

When The Hero either runs out of MP completely, or the amount of MP left is so low it can't activate any spells / abilities, then The Hero will use a phial of magic water to recover enough MP for the most expensive spell / ability they have upon pressing the special move button. There's a noticeable startup and endlag to this MP recovery move, and because you ran out completely in the first place, you now need to spend every other move using a phial of magic water to keep all your options.

So basically the flow of The Hero would look like this should they use MP willy nilly:
  • Special move use
  • Special move use
  • Special move use
  • Keeps going until they run out of MP
  • Phial of magic water
  • Special move use
  • Phial of magic water
  • Special move use

I believe that it will simply recover the MP with the time

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
Character gameplay aside, I would at least think they'd show off how the stage works. It seems very likely they'd also go into things such as available music tracks, Spirits, Mii costumes, and the potential for other tweaks in the update (find the chance high we simultaneously get bug fixes/balance changes for most of the roster).

They would also likely give us a heads up that it's a major update (presumably 4.0)/our replays will be broken, so they'd let people know so they have time to save.
That's asuming we're getting DQ Music, spirits and mii costumes we all know how gentle SE is.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I don't think not knowing exactly how the menu system works warrants a video, there's almost always some unknowns in exactly how a gimmick works prior to release, notably including Cloud's limit mechanic. Doing some very quick and not particularly thorough research, it looks like mii costumes for some of smash 4's DLC were unknown till release. The stage's mechanics might warrant a video, but I don't know that that's enough evidence to say one is definitely happening.
Almost always? Name one other besides Cloud. We knew everything about how all the other dlc characters work. They explained Joker. Why wouldn't they explain Hero? And they don't just drop the Mii costumes on the eShop without announcing them. We also need info on spirits and music. Not to mention, like you said, the stage. And that's not even including any extra content that might come with 4.0. If they weren't going to do a video on this they'd have just announced this stuff at E3.

StormC

Smash Hero
Cloud's mechanics got a thorough breakdown in the Final Presentation for Smash 4. These characters have to sell, they're going to go over them in detail.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Didn't they explain how Limit works in the final presentation?

EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
That's asuming we're getting DQ Music, spirits and mii costumes we all know how gentle SE is.
I feel like were guaranteed at least more songs than Cloud got. Since they originally advertised the fighter pass as coming with a few songs for the stage.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I feel like were guaranteed at least more songs than Cloud got. Since they originally advertised the fighter pass as coming with a few songs for the stage.
Sakurai also said that every challenger pack will come with a spirit board, so we're definitely garunteed to get spirits as well. I think there will be a good amount of content.

StormC

Smash Hero
By the time that presentation was made negotiations were being finalized so I'm confident Sakurai knew they would be provided with a healthy amount of Dragon Quest content. Don't forget that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are run by different departments in the company.

I wouldn't expect any remixes though. Probably just rips of the orchestrated soundtrack. Suigyama is infamously stubborn.

Last edited:

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai also said that every challenger pack will come with a spirit board, so we're definitely garunteed to get spirits as well. I think there will be a good amount of content.
Keep in mind that a spirit board could just mean a slime and a dracky and be done with.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Keep in mind that a spirit board could just mean a slime and a dracky and be done with.
I'd be shocked if it was that bad. That would be so bad it would be funny. I'm sure they'll at least fill up one page. Any less than that would just look off. The dlc for ultimate is a completely different story from dlc for 4. We've been promised music and spirits. Sakurai is not the type to "technically" follow through.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
My bad about the Cloud thing, I don't remember them explaining finer nuances like charge with damage and the mobility buffs. Only other DLC character with mechanics that really need explaining was Joker, who needed the video anyway, but K. Rool and Little Mac had pretty vague descriptions of their mechanics before release. I don't think music or spirits warrant a video explaining them either.

To clarify, I think we're almost certainly getting a video, but I don't think no video = de-confirmation when the precedence is only 1.

Ya'll bring up some good points that I hadn't considered though, I just don't like to deal in absolutes is all.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Honestly I think at most well either just get a couple of DQ11 spirits or spirits of the characters who are alternate colors to the heroes, like the 2 heroes that Erdrick and Solo have.

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I think at most well either just get a couple of DQ11 spirits or spirits of the characters who are alternate colors to the heroes, like the 2 heroes that Erdrick and Solo have.
I could see them using the entire DQ11 party plus a slime, but god knows how much toriyama will ask for it.

Also what about the classic mode any ideas?

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
On the bright side, Smash usually takes a hiatus between installments, so he may die of old age by the time Smash 6 comes out. :pAssuming he doesn't have a greedy family estate like Mitsuteru Yokoyama.
I think we should worry more if SE lets them to have Hero back.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Since the mainbhero is Luminary I'm assuming his classic mode run will be based on DQ11. I haven't played that game at all so i wouldn't know much.

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
They'd regret it if they didn't. They got about a few million fans in Japan that'd get their torches, pitchforks and rocks for throwing ready, if Hero gets cut next game.
I would be okay with this, it'll show SE to stop being stingy.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Square is always much more generous when it comes to lending their content for DLC than base games. If Dragon Quest is lacking in the music department, it's Sugiyama.

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
Square is always much more generous when it comes to lending their content for DLC than base games. If Dragon Quest is lacking in the music department, it's Sugiyama.
Does dlc make them more money or something?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Does dlc make them more money or something?
I'm not entirely sure, but I believe that they get a bigger cut of the profits for a singular DLC pack with their licenses than for a base game with their licenses.

After all, they saved Noctis and 2B for DLC in Tekken and Soul Calibur respectively. I could see them intentionally saving Hero for DLC. It would also explain how Vergeben knew a new Square character would be coming before DLC started development.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
A remake of IX would be very appreciated, since it would be another opportunity to play the game with an online multiplayer component. I'd vastly prefer that than my current plan, which is to play the DS version offline with no one willing to play with me so I stick to the single player stuff.
Maybe they can add party members in it or something at least have you create them and them just have personalities it would make it feel more like DQ to me

Kronch

Smash Cadet
I'm trying to stay calm, but... Oh my gosh I'm so excited for Hero. I keep checking my laptop constantly to see if there's any news on the trailer yet. I really think it'll happen tonight and he'll be released tomorrow, even though I miiiiiiiiight be setting myself up for disappointment there.

I told my friends who play Smash that I plan to only play Hero once he's released. I'm also really looking to get into Dragon Quest in general, and I'll probably get DQXI on Switch when that comes out.

On that subject actually, any recommendations on how to get into Dragon Quest? I've heard good things about XIII especially. Do you have any recommended emulators and stuff?

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
On that subject actually, any recommendations on how to get into Dragon Quest? I've heard good things about XIII especially. Do you have any recommended emulators and stuff?
1&2 on mobile/SNES: pick based on whether you want an official or fan translation.

3 on SNES: mobile version is missing features

4 on mobile: has party chat missing from ds

5&6 on mobile/DS: both versions are very good

7 on 3ds

8 on 3ds/ps2: depends on whether you value extra content or orchestrated music/better visuals more.

9 on DS

Cant play 10 yet, wait for Switch version of 11

Slime Master

Smash Ace
IV is a pretty good start: solid game all around and it's pretty much "standard". VIII and XI are also good for that reason but they are both newer and have some QOL improvements and cinematic cutscenes which can make it harder to enjoy earlier games after playing them. The post above mine has a good synopsis on what versions to get.

Kronch

Smash Cadet
Fifteen minutes until probably nothing happens and my entire university Smash Bros. club realizes how delusional I am!

And thanks for all of the recommendations, everyone. c:

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I made a recommendation guide on the first page of the Erdrick thread back when we thought only Erdrick would get in. Go here and go to the bottom of the first post to find it. My highest recommendations are Dragon Quests IV, V, VIII, and XI, specifically the DS / smartphone versions of IV and V

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
My favourtie will always be VIII, it was a magical game when it was a kid.

Unless they release a game as good as VIII in the future, it might be my favourite DQ game until i die.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm fully expecting to have a very limited quantity of DQ music just like FF7. Sugiyama is absolutely notoriously stingy with his music. The fact that he had to be credited in Hero's trailer when literally no other character ever has had to do that, as well as no remix showing up on the website is extremely discouraging. That man does great work, but is an anamoly.

I'm gonna hard call the two songs from the trailer being the only music we get. Optimistically, one battle theme for each playable Hero at the most. I would really love to be wrong.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm fully expecting to have a very limited quantity of DQ music just like FF7. Sugiyama is absolutely notoriously stingy with his music. The fact that he had to be credited in Hero's trailer when literally no other character ever has had to do that, as well as no remix showing up on the website is extremely discouraging. That man does great work, but is an anamoly.

I'm gonna hard call the two songs from the trailer being the only music we get. Optimistically, one battle theme for each playable Hero at the most. I would really love to be wrong.
Doubt they would advertise music as a selling point for DLC unless they were confident in securing music for every series they were selling, including Dragon Quest. The fact that Sugiyama is on board means he is probably cooperating well enough. We won't get remixes but a decent amount of rips.

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
Sugiyama isn't stingy btw, he's just a really...s**** person. But if you pay him the money to use the music he'll give you the rights i know that Horii paid sugiyama an extra amount to use remixes in the fortune street game.

And if im honest, the whole FF thing might be nintendo not wanting to pay more FF7 music to Utematsu and FF7 spirits to SE because maybe it was more expensive than other 3rd party companies and there's 13 3rd party characters in smash and budgets aren't infinite.
The whole FF thing is a shame really, but nintento probably doesn't want to pay much money for extra tracks and a sephiroth,tifa and barret spirit unfortunately i doubt SE refused them to have more music or spirits.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think it's time to pack it up for Hero releasing tommorow.
Yeah, the folks here will go through the Five Stages of Smash DLC Release Window Grief, at this rate.

Sugiyama isn't stingy btw, he's just a really...s**** person. But if you pay him the money to use the music he'll give you the rights i know that Horii paid sugiyama an extra amount to use remixes in the fortune street game.

And if im honest, the whole FF thing might be nintendo not wanting to pay more FF7 music to Utematsu and FF7 spirits to SE because maybe it was more expensive than other 3rd party companies and there's 13 3rd party characters in smash and budgets aren't infinite.
The whole FF thing is a shame really, but nintento probably doesn't want to pay much money for extra tracks and a sephiroth,tifa and barret spirit unfortunately i doubt SE refused them to have more music or spirits.
And yet most people somehow think the pass will only have third parties. In Square's case, Uematsu and Nomura probably weren't available to contact at the time anyway, so they had to make do with what they already had from 4.

That being said, I have a feeling that Sakurai must have went above and beyond to persuade key Enix figures to allow content. The guy did say that he had to "twist some arms".

Top Bottom