• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Critique Thread

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
The Official 'Rate My Falco' Thread

Ok so there are an awful lot of 'rate my Falco' threads popping up, so instead of having a million different threads for every person to make their own identical thread only to get replies for a day before having their thread lie there rotting for the rest of eternity it would make more sense to have one central thread where everyone can get their Falco rated. I'll leave all the current rate my Falco threads open but please use this if you are thinking of making such a thread in the future.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Ok so there are an awful lot of 'rate my Falco' threads popping up, so instead of having a million different threads for every person to make their own identical thread only to get replies for a day before having their thread lie there rotting for the rest of eternity it would make more sense to have one central thread where everyone can get their Falco rated. I'll leave all the current rate my Falco threads open but please use this if you are thinking of making such a thread in the future.
Well marcbri is one if the good Falco of Europe... I'm not sure he really wants his Falco criticized actually lol, he wants to simply show his falco to the boards :p

A 'Rate my Falco' thread is boring... And would only fit to beginners.

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
Yeah maybe rate my falco wasn't the appropiate name, I put a rate my Falco cause I'm not well known around here but wathever xD

Bbut well now there's this topic here to avoid the flood of rate my falco topics :p.

GMo

Smash Apprentice
GMo's Video Thread (Come Critique)

From Smashfest on April 18th​
FattyFatFatSo: OK's best Wario main except Bassem. He plays a pretty campy Wario. Been winning a few tournaments in the OK scene lately, but some of our best players have also been absent. Fatty is really patient and frustrating to play against. He jumps around a lot and weaves in and out of zones. He baits attacks really well and lands defensive farts frequently. Solid player, old high school friend of mine.
Warning the videos may be a bit...boring to watch:
Sars Pirate: Somewhat unusual snake - one of the best Snakes in OK. I would probably go D3 here, but I'm still new to D3 so it would be nice to have the matchup down with Falco. I find that Snake matches can go either way with Falco, if you play smart it can be pretty smooth.

Young Deezy: Kid is 13 (I think) and plays a really good Marth/MK. Marth is his main, and obviously better than his MK. Plus my roommate plays a good Marth so I have a lot of experience in the matchup. It sometimes feels a little hopeless on certain stages. The 0->Death doesn't help. I find Marth to, generally be, manageable, however. Check these out...

I'll try to get some more later. Critique away. Remember these were friendlies, but I was playing pretty serious.

Also: The music was done by the dude who uploaded these (I'm more of an indie guy myself). It is better than hearing us in the room talk about stuff. And big thanks to Hazygoose for the ups!

I'll try to get some matches with some other top players from OK here in the next few weeks like Le_Thien, Kos-Mos, and ChuckNasty.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
So I decided to upload a few videos of a money match I played yesterday, must say it wasn't the best but I guess it are the bad matches that are easily criticised.

I also added some text commentary at the points where I saw a big mistake, hope it doesn't disturb the video that much =)

Every comment is appreciated.

Falco vs Toon link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ysXL5-Ez8E&feature=PlayList&p=4B85592B6BD1F578&index=0

So far I gotta work on:
- Less random forward smashes
- More Nair instead of Fair
- Better punishing (using the right moves)
- Less retreating rolls

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
to GMO - The only matches I've seen so far is your match against the wario and the marth

against wario I saw you were getting hit with his dair quite a bit falco's u tilt beats his dair in this match-up falco's jab and u tilt can make it very hard for wario to approach with aerials which will probably resort him into staying on the ground which is horrible also if you chase wario in the air make sure he doesn't end up above you because that's one of the worse positions you want to be in against a wario since they can juggle you in the air with u airs and if they have their waft one wrong air dodge is death

marth vs. falco is a shield holding game it's pretty much who can capitalize on mistakes the most wins this match. Playing this match you never want to hit marth while he's holding shield because he can always punish you unless you grab, laser, or perfectly space a side b against his shield. Another thing that helps is that if you know marth his going to come at you with a short hop fair you can short hop double laser which can give you a chance to hit him with a dash attack or even an u smash. If they short hop fair too close for you to laser you can shield then punish with a grab or and aerial out of shield

I'll look at the rest of your matches later =D

GMo

Smash Apprentice
to GMO - The only matches I've seen so far is your match against the wario and the marth

against wario I saw you were getting hit with his dair quite a bit falco's u tilt beats his dair in this match-up falco's jab and u tilt can make it very hard for wario to approach with aerials which will probably resort him into staying on the ground which is horrible also if you chase wario in the air make sure he doesn't end up above you because that's one of the worse positions you want to be in against a wario since they can juggle you in the air with u airs and if they have their waft one wrong air dodge is death

marth vs. falco is a shield holding game it's pretty much who can capitalize on mistakes the most wins this match. Playing this match you never want to hit marth while he's holding shield because he can always punish you unless you grab, laser, or perfectly space a side b against his shield. Another thing that helps is that if you know marth his going to come at you with a short hop fair you can short hop double laser which can give you a chance to hit him with a dash attack or even an u smash. If they short hop fair too close for you to laser you can shield then punish with a grab or and aerial out of shield

I'll look at the rest of your matches later =D

Thanks a lot. I felt like I should have won the Marth match, but it wasn't a big deal since it was a friendly (also YD is pretty good). I know you know the Wario matchup really well so if theres anything else I should know that'd be awesome.

I played Fatty two nights ago and really stomped him like 5 matches straight (we then went about even for another 5 or so). It is such a slow paced match against him it gives me time to really think and if I don't slip up he can't really do a whole lot (unfortunately he plays a pretty good punishment game and I am prone to a few sloppy phantasms and stupid combo chasing here and there).

I'll keep the aerial tips in mind next time I play him.

Thanks!

And keep them coming, I'm making an effort to step up my game.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
Okay I just saw your match with snake the first match you were using side b to approach him way too much and getting punished with it and made where you recovering with it too obvious you should practice canceling it it'll really come in handy and will make it harder for them to predict where you'll be and you missed the chain grab last stock you could've won =\

if you're trying to land back on the ground you don't want to land in front of the opponent especially snake there were a few times you did that it caused you to take damage you didn't have to

a move you should use more against heavy characters especially snake is the jab for one thing falco's jab can stop snake dashing and also since snake is a heavy character snake will have a hard time getting out of the jab combo without taking a bit of damage I still haven't watched your match with mk so I will watch that one soon

GMo

Smash Apprentice
Okay I just saw your match with snake the first match you were using side b to approach him way too much and getting punished with it and made where you recovering with it too obvious you should practice canceling it it'll really come in handy and will make it harder for them to predict where you'll be and you missed the chain grab last stock you could've won =\

if you're trying to land back on the ground you don't want to land in front of the opponent especially snake there were a few times you did that it caused you to take damage you didn't have to

a move you should use more against heavy characters especially snake is the jab for one thing falco's jab can stop snake dashing and also since snake is a heavy character snake will have a hard time getting out of the jab combo without taking a bit of damage I still haven't watched your match with mk so I will watch that one soon
Noted. Any tips on canceling? I practiced it for like 30minutes and got basically nowhere. It was way harder than RPBGing or anything like that for me. The reason is, I don't see where my mistake is being made. With RPBG you see what you did (too slow, too fast) and I just narrowed down the timing until it is muscle memory. I couldn't really do that with phantasm canceling and the end result was me basically saying, "**** it."

In retrospect that is really stupid and I should go learn it, but I'm asking if there is a more efficient way.

Also I don't think I jab enough vs most people in general and tend to opt for another move which oftentimes isn't the best option (I think I've been conditioned out of it by Marth), so I'll work on that. Also, I'll bear in mind that jab vs heavies is a great option.

Any ideas on how to approach a Snake? Typically I just dair over him and cover my *** with utilt. The cross over generally ends in them trying to turn around grab and eating an utilt. It's punishable but most don't or can't.

As far as the missed CGs, they don't happen often, but occasionally I can mess up the easiest thing in world. When I started walking the CG like 4 months ago I had a problem with Dthrow->Fthrow, but I've almost gotten rid of that completely.

And BTW, thanks a lot.

Denzi

Smash Master
For future reference, there's an official Falco Critique thread.

He needs to:
laser more
Only reflector to reflect things
not mess up the chaingrab
IAP
stop trying to edgeguard with fullhopped aerials
Fair onto the stage less
Phantasm onto the stage less
shield more
learn how to properly edgehog
seriously LASER MORE
Spike instead of dash attack to finish the CG
not put himself in situations where he can be easily gimped

All I've got; use the other thread next time.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Finally someone was able to help me get a video up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCttsncFcb8

This was done with 2 stocks to keep it in the time limit, and it was on wifi. So I know it's not a complete representation of what one is capable of doing, but it's at least something.
Now I want you to look at that sexy Sheik..... I got *****. -_-

There was also like 0 lag so I thought it was pretty good. One of the better wi-fi matches I have had in terms of lag.

Vlade

Social Outcast
For Velox's vid, I'll just point out a couple of things since it was only a wifi match.

- You don't always have to follow up your jab combos with fsmash. It is very safe without a follow-up so there is no need to get 'greedy' for more damage with the risk of being punished.

-There were countless times where you could've edgehogged, forcing sheik to recover onto the stage and therefore putting the opponent into a disadvantageous situation where you could punish very easily.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
ok I only have one video. and my opponant wasn't great but he is the only person I know who has a capture card. the second round im G&W at norfair(i hate that place)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGXhfa8yr1A&feature=channel_page
I'm just gonna throw in some critique in hopes that the favor is returned, to bad this is an online match though.

- Close range lasers, this can be good if hes in midair, but not when hes right in front of you on the ground

- Close range shine, shine should be exclusively used as an anti-approach or an anti-projectile move, replace it with some nairs or dair if hes crawling

Try to upload a video of you losing, it makes it easier to see mistakes, also it's hard to judge online matches.

rolrctermaniac

Smash Apprentice
I'm just gonna throw in some critique in hopes that the favor is returned, to bad this is an online match though.

- Close range lasers, this can be good if hes in midair, but not when hes right in front of you on the ground

- Close range shine, shine should be exclusively used as an anti-approach or an anti-projectile move, replace it with some nairs or dair if hes crawling

Try to upload a video of you losing, it makes it easier to see mistakes, also it's hard to judge online matches.
Thanks for the imput i thought that no one was going to reply. I can't really get someone better since hes the only one i know with a capture card. unless someone here is willing to record some(would have to be online)

Xonar you need to iap instead of regular phantasm. also you didn't reflect a lot of projectiles. and one more thing LESS FIRE BIRD lol.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Thanks for the imput i thought that no one was going to reply. I can't really get someone better since hes the only one i know with a capture card. unless someone here is willing to record some(would have to be online)

Xonar you need to iap instead of regular phantasm. also you didn't reflect a lot of projectiles. and one more thing LESS FIRE BIRD lol.
I normally dont fight people with projectiles, so my shining is kinda bad :laugh:

I iap alot actually, probably 90% of all my phantasms, I agree thats not enough though :) (especially not in these matches)

also, firebird ftw, i love to see a bird catch fire on the screen and yell 'FIRE!!!!'

Thanks for the only response, will try to apply more IAPs and increase my anti-camping game against (toon) link =)

Shadow Tactics

Smash Cadet

Denzi

Smash Master
Please help me improve my 1week old Falco.

Shadow Tactics (Falco) vs Blazin (Snake) 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdRff3IwcGI&fmt=18

Your comments would be much appreciated.

For now I'll just be looking at this one.

Things you need to work on/not do/do better:

The second hit of your SHDL should be lower
Sh Nair is good, but doesn't have a lot of hitstun, so you should wait until your opponent's in the air or space it so that you don't get hit afterward.
SH Fair is bad, and it's probably your worst option out of the CG
It looked like you were trying to dthrow -> regrab even though Snake was past CG %s. Don't do that.
You can avoid Snakes Jab -> Utilt by DIing back and shielding
Don't use reflector for CQC, just use it to reflect things
Keep your offstage game a bit closer to the stage

That's all I saw.

Also:

OMFG NO WAY HE TECHED THAT!

Jon?

Smash Champion
Your friend seems to know how to SHL and SHDL. He needs to work on retreating and approaching SHDL because it allows for good spacing. He also doesn't follow up with an approaching attack after shooting lasers. It seems like he just stands there after shooting his lasers.

He also seemed to never Jab-cancel into a grab or tilt. Jab-cancel to grab is a good way to keep pressure on Snake.

Other than that he had good use of approaching with dair and utilt. Just have him work on lasers and jab-canceling.

IxxI

Smash Fence
Try to upload offline vids next time IxxI
Yeah, I know it contributes to part of the problem. There's going to be a local tourney within 3 weeks in my area and we both plan to attend. I'll try to get videos of both of us at our full potential.

GemN

Smash Cadet
Your friend seems to know how to SHL and SHDL. He needs to work on retreating and approaching SHDL because it allows for good spacing. He also doesn't follow up with an approaching attack after shooting lasers. It seems like he just stands there after shooting his lasers.

He also seemed to never Jab-cancel into a grab or tilt. Jab-cancel to grab is a good way to keep pressure on Snake.

Other than that he had good use of approaching with dair and utilt. Just have him work on lasers and jab-canceling.
I was the falco in this video, and thanks for the critiques. I didn't really mean to stand there and get punished by it, it was on wi-fi and lag is just horrible for Laser followups, and pretty much using laser's at all. Like when I lasered and just stood there to get uptilted and got star-KO'd, BAD LAG at that moment. Jab-canceling, I agree, I need to work on. Also retreating lasers. Thanks for the help though.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Yeah, I know it contributes to part of the problem. There's going to be a local tourney within 3 weeks in my area and we both plan to attend. I'll try to get videos of both of us at our full potential.
Great, I'll help critique if you upload them :)

Jon?

Smash Champion
I was the falco in this video, and thanks for the critiques. I didn't really mean to stand there and get punished by it, it was on wi-fi and lag is just horrible for Laser followups, and pretty much using laser's at all. Like when I lasered and just stood there to get uptilted and got star-KO'd, BAD LAG at that moment. Jab-canceling, I agree, I need to work on. Also retreating lasers. Thanks for the help though.
Yea, no problem. I understand you hate of wifi. That's why I completely dropped the idea of ever playing online lol.

Fiery brawl

Smash Rookie
I'd give em a 6, all around good work and nice aerial work, keep it up and you'll be awsome with him

superglucose

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blzwQlNkSFQ&feature=channel_page

A few things: this is several months old, and watching it it's kind of amusing... since then I've joined a crew and I've gotten a lot better. Things I am much better at: I'm much better at not rolling, I SHDL more now and don't ever grounded laser (unless i'm just messing around), my approaches are less predictable than "dash attack" and I jump out of shield now.

I second Snake and tert Marth (Pikachu and Ice Climbers), and while my snake is solid (eurgh... the pun is too painful) and probably my better character right now it's definitely only true because of how often I SD with Falco. It's hard to do well when you have a 1 stock disadvantage every time you play :p

I was wondering if you guys had any pointers I missed... and it's likely I'll have more videos soon (sorry about the quality) as well as a few other questions:

1) How am I supposed to approach lucario? It seems like he can grab the **** out of my SHDair and SHNair, and SH(D)L mixed with dash attack and IAP doesn't seem sufficient to mix it up with. Also if I jump through his airspace to try and bair and hit behind him, he's still able to grab the **** out of me.

2) How am I supposed to play against rob? My idiot friend's advice was "just predict his attacks" and it made me want to chuck him out the window for how useless that advice is.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
@ superglucose

1) Don't approach, simple. Remember this phrase: 'You don't have to approach if you don't want to'

2) Can't help you against rob, guess it's just a damage racking game :p

superglucose

Smash Apprentice
@ superglucose

1) Don't approach, simple. Remember this phrase: 'You don't have to approach if you don't want to'
Fuh-durrrr... I keep forgetting: I'm Falco, I outcamp everyone. Thanks for reminding me :dizzy:

2) Can't help you against rob, guess it's just a damage racking game :p
I don't know why but this matchup gives me fits. The Wario matchup DEHF and SK complain about? Not so much. It's doubly weird because the Wario in my crew is significantly better than the ROB in my crew, and i have more experience vs ROB than vs Wario.

I think i'm just psyching myself out, same with MK. When I chillax and play my game, I two-stock my friend's MK (he's no great shakes with MK of course, but he's about equal with me in this game, a little better). When I freak out and go "****, it's MK" I lose... with one stocks.

Denzi

Smash Master
i have an aggressive falco, and +, the right side of my brain have priority over the left side.
You should use SDI even if you do play aggressively. And if you do want to attack, aerials are better for that anyway. Ftilt is just for spacing and as a 'gtfo' sort of attack, not for rushing in and attacking. Utilt would be the only one you use for offense, and whether or not it's even useable depends all on your opponent's height/position.

Top Bottom