• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Critique Thread

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Wow, that was way more in depth than I was expecting thanks. On thing that I found funny is that you mentioned I don't laser enough. It's funny because I've been told I laser too much in Melee, so I should probably switch that particular part of my mindset up. Reads are definitely something I need to work on. Unfortunately, wifi is the only thing I have to practice at this point, except for tournaments that are usually once every month or so. Next tournament I'm at I will definitely work on the things you mentioned.

If anyone else has anything they want to add that would be great :D

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
- Practice in Training mode like I do.
- Use Cpu's to help apply things; Such as.. Using the Ice Climber Cpu's, They may not be able to chain grab you, but, play it as if "If I get grabbed, I'll kill myself because in a Tournament setting, my stock would have been gone".

You can train things, even with the absence of human players.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
I'd like a critique guys. Me and some of my buddies were playing friendlies the other day and uploaded some of them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDdCgCwsq-U&list=FLJan4z2i_RxkoPqtH4qPztg&index=0&feature=plcp

Skip to 6:08 after the first match because a match of me playing DK got uploaded with the other two unless you just want to watch it lol. I need advice more for the 3rd match because Pikachu is Cam's main, but his Wario is not that bad either since he plays a lot of friendlies with Reflex. Anyway, feedback is much appreciated.

I've gotten to where I'm coming close now with higher PR'd players in matches but I'm still not doing well in tournament. I'd really like to make major improvements this summer and drive towards my Smash goals.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
You need much more practice with your tech skill. Falco is dependent on good, consistent execution, but your lasers are consistently too high and you cannot afford to mess up your cg, especially in the Pika MU where the damage is critical. Actually, not only the character specific techs, but some of your basic techs need work, mostly follow-up timing/buffering and OoS reaction. Your lack of buffering is especially noticeable when you CG, and screwed up multiple times, but this also hurts you in your d-throw followups, a throw which you need to use more in general.

Decision making needs work too. You lack mixups for example your use of illusion in recovering. You recovered the same way three times on your second stock and also a bit into the third stock as well. But you mixed it up a bit as well. Unsafe decisions also, for example the use of reflector that got you grabbed first stock i believe? Use of aerial for the momentum cancel that got you killed your second and third stocks. You should know that you need to air dodge as a reaction to Pika's thunder or else you'll get hit for sure by thunder.

Regardless of anything else, you need to perfect the basic Falco techs. Otherwise your playstyle will just try to compensate for the holes in your defense. For example, imo not enough perfect SHDL/SHL made you approach much more, something which you should not do in an MU such as Pika. I also did not see you use IAP at all, which is a very important tool for your keep away game.

I do not mean to say that you are a tech noob or anything, because you can obviously execute to a certain degree, such as illusion cancels, etc, but you need to practice for more consistency. After that you can worry about more complicated stuff such as mixups and intricacies of each MU. Hope this helps

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Yeah it's helpful. The main thing I'll have to start thinking about more is choosing safe options (I don't select the right moves sometimes) and playing a lot more patient. The approaching stuff wasn't really because of tech skill so much as the fact that I like to approach...and that's not a good thing to do with Falco.

I'll also try to get my tech skill back up to par, because it has gotten a lot worse lately. I don't have a way to practice right now because my brother took the only TV without lag in the house, but I'll figure it out. Thanks for your critique man.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
You got way too aggressive after your CG -> Spike. I saw you get a Nice gimp on Wario, but, the first time you tried it, you lost a stock, same as against Pikachu on your Second stock. You should try and read their ledge options more instead of trying for the most aggressive option.

You shouldn't Dash CG Pikachu, as you saw, he Dair'd you out of it.
You shouldn't have to Dash CG unless it's.. Marth.

You momentum cancelled with Bair, when you should have been using Uair.
You shouldn't have to use Reflector against Pikachu unless you're reflecting thunder, Jab at thunder Jolts. It's so much safer.

You weren't camping enough either.. though, when you did, you were lasering at unsafe zones. ( Don't worry, I'm still working out those kinks for me too ).

As for practice, use the Laggy Tv.
It's just like Wifi.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Thanks for your input. That was all pretty helpful, but about the last thing you wrote up, why should I practice on a laggy TV if I don't play online with Falco? It seems like it would be counterproductive for playing at tournaments.

Also in reference to jabbing T-jolts, does Falco have a frame disadvantage on Pikachu when he does that? Wouldn't it just be a lot better to practice perfect shielding the attack if I'm not going to reflect it?

Thanks again though for the critique. I'll keep all of that in mind next time I play. (especially zoning the lasers better because I don't space myself well in some of my MU's)

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=315249 Read this for Help with CG's.

And, you need to practice your Lasering so much more as they are way too high, and, once they get within ~One Falco roll lengths away from you, do not attempt to laser again UNLESS you for some reason want to approach with SHL.

And, what seems to me, you're mindlessly spamming attacks hoping they'll hit. You fish WAY too much for Grabs. Only use a Standing Grab if you have a read, other than that, use Jabx2 -> Grab or Jab -> Jab. Or shield grab when they fall into you with an attack.

You also fish way too much for Usmashes when they won't even kill Kirby until 119% ( Attempt from 110% or higher if it's fresh, the 119% is barring perfect Di and momentum cancel )

Do not try to challenge his Rock or Hammer, Read the CG Guide, learn what you can do.
Yeah, you're spamming Usmash way too much, only use it to punish a Laggy move or Out Of Shield, or if you have a read.

Stop throwing out random attacks randomly.
Do not use Fair.. Ever unless you're momentum cancelling vertically.
And, stop approaching.
That's all I'll put down for now.

And Ty, Practice is practice and adjusting from Lag to non lag is much much easier and quicker.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Next time post 1 or 2 vids to get critiqued, in reality, nobody wants to watch potentially 30 minutes worth of matches and write a critique for every single one. Also you only want to post matches where you lose, because you learn the most from your mistakes. Anyway, my critique isn't going to be in-depth, because you're honestly not at that level yet. From watching your matches, you need to work on your basics. There is no fluidity in your movement, aka a lot of input errors, a lot of reactive decisions. This is something you can only gain by playing a lot more with your character. Imitating pro's is a way of achieving fluidity, so try to replicate the same techniques pro's do.

Also, I feel as though you are playing a single player game. Competitive SSBB takes two people to play, but right you seem to be playing by yourself. Now you may be thinking, "I'm not stupid," and I don't mean to suggest you are. But you do not seem to anticipate your opponent's moves at all. During a match, the reason you choose to do a certain action should be "I believe the opponent will do action A which is countered by my action," not "I feel like doing this action now" which is what you seem to be doing most of the time. One example of this is your whiffed grabs. In that first link, the kirby match, there was one instance where you missed grab 5-6 times in a row, and you kept going from it. I'm actually surprised that Kirby got caught in the end, given how telegraphed your intentions were. There are also countless instances where you whiff or just get hit by attacks when you are clearly in a danger zone. If you willingly put yourself in situations where the opponent get hit you, then that means you either have a read, or you plan to shield the attack and retaliate. If you don't have either of these two conditions covered, then you shouldn't be in the opponent's attack zone unless they put you there. Anticipate your opponent's actions and location, and then decide what to do. A good example is 2:37 in the third link, the diddy match, where you reflectored his banana. You did a reflector b/c you expected him to throw a banana, that's the type of decisions you want to make. Otherwise you'll be standing half a stage away from your opponent doing d-smashes and ftilts, accomplishing nothing.

Anyway hope this doesn't come off as too harsh. Right now you just need to practice and play more. For practice try to imitate pro Falco's that are in our video thread. Also a reply to your self-critique. Not just d-smash, you throw out way too many moves for no reason. You are over reliant on the full jab combo, practice jab canceling. SHDL you need to delay the laser input until the peak of your SH height, otherwise the lasers will be too high and won't hit a grounded opponent. You do not need to dash for the CG against Diddy, right now you just input the grab too slowly. Input the grab quicker and you should be able to grab Diddy. Also after certain %'s CG doesn't work, check the CG thread for info on that.

@Poke, he doesn't play wifi though.

Everything offers you a different experience with varying degrees of quality. If you have no one to play against period, CPU and Wifi is better than nothing.

I am not sure if occasional CPU and Wifi play to keep up to date if you cannot play someone for weeks on end is better than simply not playing. If anything, I believe they offer a nice warm-up, but I doubt you get much out of it as far as improvement.

SombreroJon

Smash Cadet
Alright guys, here's what I have so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-mHfez0J2c&feature=channel&list=UL (vs Kirby)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dwj0tB6NTQ&feature=channel&list=UL (vs Olimar)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbjuii1-rnk (vs Diddy, although my opponent was just starting to try Diddy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2KqsMn86uE&feature=channel&list=UL (vs Olimar again, first game only)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGkZLoRUbAc&feature=channel&list=UL (vs same Diddy as before)

I know I down smash way too much, and in some of these I'm just standing and lasering or accidentally full hopping instead of SHDL. Also, I need to work on chain grab (like dashing for Diddy) and learn to spike. Any feedback will help!
Practice man, you have a ways to go. Watching your falco I just felt like everything was too stiff, very unnatural with no fluidity behind your movements. You are not putting smart hitboxes out there, you need to be faster and improve your basics. If your opponent did not fall right into your moves you would never land anything... you need to set up moves and bait things rather than just expecting things to land.

When they are far off stage use a SHDL or full hop and shoot 4 lasers, it's free damage. Master chain grabbing, and in general get used to grabbing earlier, you can't let them touch the stage before you regrab them. My biggest advice to you is not to look for advice, but rather to read the falco essentials thread and absolutely master the things in it. Shoot lasers in training until you get both the SHL and SHDL's to perfect or near perfect height... think about WHY you are using the moves that you are... get the feel of the chaingrab on every character as they are mostly pretty similar.

It doesn't seem like you know how to spike out of the chain grab either, to do this you simply need to dash as soon as the grab ends (or buffer it but that will come in time) and short hop dair. I have R set to jump so I literally just smash right/left and tap R and C-stick down and it's easy.

Put in practice time and watch videos.. a LOT of videos. Nothing improved me more than watching DEHF play every big tournament match he has ever played. Youtube any video of him and just watch how much more quickly his character moves and emulate it.

Goodluck man, you CAN improve through playing CPU's and other people (bad or good), I know I did. You just need to improve your technical skill, work on putting in the right inputs when you want them, and really THINK about what you are doing and setting up. Goodluck, post again in a couple months I'm sure we would all love to see your improvement!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0o0IstaqVs
Every time you were hit away from the stage substantially far so that you were forced to the edge, you nearly always got on stage with phantasm. Or at least mixed up your timing a bit before getting on with phantasm.

At 2:21 is probably a good example of habitually using phantasm to get on stage and not considering other options. Diddy was in the center stage with two banana's onstage and a peanut heading your way. You phantasm into him and get banana -> fsmash. Ledge hop double lasers probably would have been pretty good depending upon if diddy wanted to throw that banana he held at you or not. Standing up or 2nd jump onto the stage when they are that far away is safer than risking phantasm as you did.

And after watching the next video, its the same reoccurring problem. You favor getting onstage with phantasm way too much. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=p7d9CVLkRt8 Oddly enough, at 2:21 again is a good example of what I mean. If you kept falling, I believe you would have grabbed the ledge and could have worked out a mix-up from there without using your 2nd jump.

Even with the 2nd jump, you probably could have kept falling towards the little bit of stage you had left and covered it with an air dodge -> shield to cover your landing if he wanted to throw a banana. Or, you could have maybe baited a toss by falling down towards the stage to feint going for the stage, then phantasm above his throwing height.

Too lazy to watch the last video. As I said on the snake boards, I suck at this game, and can never make it to finals of any kind. So, take away whatever you will from this critique.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
thanks xeylode, any input is appreciated.

i've always hated being on the ledge against diddy, because i feel completely trapped there, so i habitually avoid it. i don't really consider standing up from the ledge an option, not sure why, because i can definitely see some use in it.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
thats not true. if i sat inside my house and beat up a CPU all day and just played wifi I would of never got good at this game. Good practice is good practice, bad practice is bad practice, ect.

Well, I would expect people not to be ******** about practicing.

thanks xeylode, any input is appreciated.

i've always hated being on the ledge against diddy, because i feel completely trapped there, so i habitually avoid it. i don't really consider standing up from the ledge an option, not sure why, because i can definitely see some use in it.
Standing up is incredibly safe. A good comparison, if you fall from a great height you'll get a "hard" landing lag which is 4 frames. If you fall from a shorter height you get the "soft" landing lag, 2 frames. Standing up from the ledge is only vulnerable for 2 frames at the end. At that point, you can put up shield. Over 100%, your vulnerable for 4 frames at the end. Other than the huge amount of time it takes to get-up, standing is really good when getting pressured at the ledge.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I've never utilised get up outside of ledge hogging for those extra frames of "You still can't grab the ledge".

Orion*

Smash Researcher
thats not true. if i sat inside my house and beat up a CPU all day and just played wifi I would of never got good at this game. Good practice is good practice, bad practice is bad practice, ect.
ironically you named some of the 2 best forms of practice LMAO
many of the best players got a LOT of experience on wifi, and many top players play computers to build consistency.

kismet2

Smash Ace

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Critique please?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8N2lJozeiQ&feature=plcp

Just my thoughts, this was not a clean game at all. I made a lot of mistakes, and tbh I was pretty nervous, but no johns. I don't play the MU correctly, for example not enough camping and a lot of approaching, but this was a decision I made b/c I felt like my spacing wasn't good enough. The few times I started to camp, my zone got broken a bit too frequently so I decided to just be more aggressive. Anyway just want some tips on how to approach the MU, what I did well and what I could do better. Thanks.

kismet2

Smash Ace
i like that you use dash attack it's pretty good move lol but you shouldn't try to approach with phantasm as much when your opponent is already at the other side of the stage, if you do try to approach with it do the mid cancel that's the best one for approaching since it's stops you short in front of your opponent. since you can't outspace marth you have to mess up his spacing with shield dashing and running side dodges once you're in you can frame trap with jab. the problem wasn't you camping really it was just whenever you got in you commited too much when minty was waiting for you to do something, if you want i can point out a few situations. my last piece of advice is when marth is on the ledge just pressure with jabs and laser a just a few times, if you do it too much you'll probably miss your opportunity to reflector him back onto the ledge. it may not seem it but marth doesn't want to be on the ledge at all vs. falco since he can cover so many landing options. pierce also critiqued you a little in the video and said some of what i said but also things you should hear.

EDIT: cross i almost forgot to say good stuff in the video you did pretty well just have to keep at it

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Thanks for the tips. I do agree that I did commit to a lot of things. Personally I put too much pressure on myself whenever I fell behind, so I ended up approaching too recklessly. I definitely have to work on my patience. Believe me I know how much pressure Marth feels on the ledge, since I used to main him but I definitely should have been smarter/more patient with my ledge pressure. During the match, Pierce started talking about burst range. Do you think you could explain to me how exactly Falco's burst range should be used in the MU? I understand the concept of burst range but I don't see how Falco can use it against Marth who outranges him.

Edit: And please point out places where I committed too much once I got in.

kismet2

Smash Ace
i think the burst range he's referring to is mid range where you can short hop laser or air dodge. you can jab/ftilt and be safe about it so from there you can choose to get in or camp.

1:16 this isn't really you committing too much but i just wanted to point out that if you laser in that position while someone is already next to you just use jab or utilt anything fast to beat out what they have. side dodge works too but not when your opponent is willing to wait.
2:43 this is a good example and you'll probably find yourself in this position alot. after you tried to grab don't be scared into shielding. this actually pretty common but to remedy this you just have to understand your opponent and their options, think like they do, it's also a big part of adapting. if you think about it after you missed the grab, the opponent should punish it, if they don't then don't hold shield and just use a fast move like jab or utilt. it's understandable though i used to be the same way and it can be a very scary thing but try not to scare yourself into shielding.
4:22 you should've stayed on the platform. you can take advantage of falco's high jumps to avoid your opponent attacks while you're on the platform.
7:16 it's not a troublesome habit but try not to hold shield when you land. the minute you brought your shield up minty was already poking you from his comfort zone. try iap as you land or nair because it comes out pretty fast.
the rest of the match is you shielding alot. just watch everything after 7:16 and you should replace all those moments you shield with a jab, ftilt, or short hop laser. you just have to abuse falco's frame traps more, it really helps for pressure and controlling your opponent. BUT i enjoyed watching your matches and looking forward to seeing more of them!

EDIT: i also forgot to mention that you should try juggling with phantasm. like if someone is trying to land just cover their landing with a phantasm, it's great pressure and juggles.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Yoh kismet I watched the first game of your WF against Reflex (don't have time for more sry) and here's what I've seen :
-I won't talk about the first stocks :T

-you should be more careful about where you SHDL, many times you were punished before the second laser could come out. My advice is that you should SHDL less and SHL more, SHL commits you less and if you see your opponent entering a dangerous zone when you jump you can always DJ away or mix it up with an aerial

-other thing about your zoning is that sometimes you put yourself in a bad zone for no reason. An example is at 1:17 where you whiff a SH Nair and still drift towards Wario. It doesn't hurt you as much as your SHDL habit but I feel like it hinders your options.

kismet2

Smash Ace
yeah i should shl up close more for grounded approaches. at 1:17 i naired so i could cover my bair and try to prevent him from punishing it. should i phantasm in that situation? i'm sad that you couldn't watch the rest but feel free to whenever you have the free time.

EDIT: nvm i see what you're talking about where i naired into his shield. yeah that was pretty dumb of me. i was trying to think too far ahead because if i jab he'll jump so i wanted to cover his jump, but he didn't, fail lol

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Ok game 2 of the WF : nothing big to say, you outplayed Reflex pretty well.
Two things I saw tho :
-the only stock you lost was because you were too hasty in your recovery and wasted your jump (I think you'd have survived even without jumping, but I guess the pressure of the match made you do it). you also didn't pay attention to where Wario was so you got Uair'd when you could've just stopped drifting towards the stage and time a well spaced side B/up B.
-Matchup advice : don't touch Wario's bike. Once it's out it'll be an objective for Wario to get it back/break it, and until he hasn't completed that objective his recovery is crap. So just keep him away from his bike, try to get him offstage as much as possible and just punish whatever attempts he makes to grab/break it.

3rd match : mother of god, that was ugly.
You got outplayed, I guess the reason is that after losing your first stock you started using almost nothing but aerials, and became overly aggressive with them. It cost you your 2nd stock. My advice is that you shouldn't give in to the pressure of RC and keep abusing your ground game, it's hard but if you stay in "first position" (idk how to say it, just go where the stage is going, like camp the right when on the top part) you'll have the zoning advantage.

Time to go back to work, more later.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Kismet if I call you bad it's out of love. I'll work on game1 comprehensively and maybe if I have time it'll be done by next Tuesday

WF

Game1
First stocks LOL

0:58 He's rolled out of double jab pressure twice. Hopefully you punish that later

1:02 - 1:06 okay so here is like the theme of what i've seen so far in game1. You keep on getting into awkward encounters where you aren't actually prepared to outbox Wario because of the angle he's coming in at but at the same time you're not actually trying to condition him to do anything. Instead you are just trying to outright outframe/outspeed him which isn't a problem except he reads all your attempts to try to restart pressure/regain control and you lose stage. once you recognize/see that he isn't playing the way you want him to just run away. I would have rolled back as soon as I saw fair tap my PS, not the safest option but least expected. If you know he's going to jump again and you're confident in your timing and reactions you can walk back and just straight up bair him out of his attempt to hit you again. BTW safest option in this scenario is to hold block but you could probably guess why it's not necessarily the best option

1:12 Good read/punish

1:14 Okay so here you pressure him as he's coming high by faking towards him which is GOOD then you like...forfeit all pressure by going for a hard read bair. I am not against hard reads BUT he hasn't been in that scenario enough times for you to hit that bair + having watched like all of your other sets with Reflex I know he is good at recovering so there's no reason for this until you notice a habit or you've conditioned him. The platform was right above you - he was either forced to land and take a bad position or...forced to land and take a bad position. He most likely would've gone for platform because it was moving away but then you get to damage his shield slightly with high laser. Anyways point is I have a feeling you going for hard reads too early in the game is what costs you a bit of damage later

1:16 This is essentially the same situation I was talking about before with the double lasers. You are relying on purely outspeeding/outframing Wario when he is coming with a response that you are not prepared to deal with. Then he puts you above him. When you did the double jab whiffed the ftilt and saw him drifting...there's no time to phantasm BUT there is always time to walk backwards and turn your back to him. Shugo bodies all Warios by threatening Bair or Utilt 24/7, in this scenario you could just like SH and time a bair. Falcos claim bair doesn't work but Wario has literally 0 options against your bair if you time it correctly and if you are not confident, just utilt

1:20 you missed a grab. PHANTASM AWAY. Reflex doesn't even have to know exactly what you're doing at this point he just knows that you PROBABLY want to re-mount pressure and you do lol, going for another grab (you were lucky w the PS). And then you get punished for trying to attack, you need to stop giving him these things for free. This scenario was not exactly like the two I described before which is good that it didn't end up that way but through your decisions it doesn't appear to be obvious you were aware of your adaptation in this occurrence

1:23 that was a really good cross up, Reflex knows how it works so it didn't quite go as you wanted but that's some smart stuff

1:24 You see him initiate nair w/ no delay/timing trick. Bair

oh man you got ftilted SEE IT NEVER WOULD'VE HAPPENED IF YOU BAIRED :mad:

1:29 okay so that was a safe double laser. This is the range where Falco has trouble vs EVERY character, I want to use this is a point in time to educate you in case you weren't aware of it. Falco's ONLY solid options at this point that do not depend on a read are Dair, jab, ftilt, dash attack, side b. The reason why Falco is limited is because your opponent can safely cover 3 of these options at a time with good positioning + reactions and now he only has to do a 50/50 to inflict RCO lag on you or he is prepared for whatever you do. At this point you have the option of aggressively covering your "dead zone" (as I'll refer to it from here on out) by forward dairing, trying to cover him coming in with block or aerial by slight retreating dair (sour or sweetspot), trying to anti air him with jab (what you have defaulted to doing and something you've been conditioned against), dash attacking @ safe crossup range (unreliable vs Wario) or side b'ing through him for max safety.

So you react with SH Airdodge, which doesn't actually effectively change your position and should only really be done with a read in this dead zone situation. In this case since Reflex has been aggressively zoning I would have chosen retreating dair. He most likely would have a case of slightly rustled jimmies and block, which gives you good place to mount pressure

1:33 why you double laser. Awkward angles + no damage

1:34 WHY YOU DOUBLE LASER

You should only be double lasering when Wario is about 2/3 of a IAP away from you, single laser low between 2/3 and 1/2 to condition certain timings or actions. Other stuff is bad gimmick that works on bad Warios and Reflex is not bad. Stop double lasering here!!

1:40 you landed on platform with no read so Reflex just does a fair that you can't react to and you take 4 damage in chip. And now you're above him. Reevaluate

1:45 OKAY YOU HAVE A SICK MIXUP HERE

1:46 OKAY YOU READ HIM YES

OMG WHY DID YOU JUMP

This is some really poor decision making, I don't know why you jumped here. His back is facing towards you (bair/early nair only options offensively, spotdodge/roll). If he fails to jump early enough (which he probably wouldn't in this scenario, not really safe) YOU GET FREE PRESSURE. This is where you get to double jab for days on Wario's block and then he rolls and you get some cool ****. Even Ftilt would have been better here. Even a hard read would've been better here. Y U JUMP KISMET

1:47 and you get called on a bad jump.

1:49 - 2:11 this is a huge series of sick reads where Reflex isn't really sure what you're going to do at times and in the situations where he does know what you want to do he can't actually escape.

And then you shoot a laser for a high risk/high reward situation (gives you just enough hitstun to land before him and mash jab). Then you end up in a situation where you're frame trapped on landing because you missed this laser. Better decisions please

There's like a bunch of scenarios where you just keep trying to call him and he keeps trying to call you and you both whiff a bunch and it's really funny because it's 100% obvious you want jabs and he wants dair and Wario and Falco do this funny dance number LOL

2:39 good punish

3:00 it's good that you're buffering things after your double laser but you should do it as more of a read type thing rather than option coverage 'cause Flaco can't take trades well and he generates medium/low reward when he doesn't have setups

3:05 I don't blame you for that phantasm, haven't really done it all game but he covers the option at the right time lol

Wow Reflex gives you some hard business for recovering badly good stuff Reflex bad luck Kismet

3:39 OMG YOU SET THAT UP WHY ARE YOU NOT GRABBING

you need need NEED to work on those confirms lol. Once you confirm that he gets hit by the laser the autoresponse based on that positioning NEEDS to be grab. Even if you whiff against his spotdodge you get to roll away and be safe.

Or maybe the setup was pressuring him into spotdodge...grab would beat it out if you did it my way ;o oh well. And then you read his attempt to get out of pressure but instead you hold block. Falco's punishments from a blocking position are low, you need to just roll away in this situation and see what happens

3:41 - 4:02 Okay look I know you want to get a hit off or get a comfortable position off based on a hit or grab but I'm telling you right now that the BEST way to scare Wario is to stay still and move only when he moves. He gets to do a ton of psuedo-safe stuff because you keep trying to aggressively cover his options. All Reflex has to do in that situation is think "k Kismet will keep trying to attack me so I look for when he is nervous and punish him". Then he DOES punish your spotdodge and gets a grab off of it too! Re-evaluate please

4:06? 4:07 good shorten

Okay you are better against Wario than this game displayed. Hopefully the other games are better. Respond if you have any questions, but general tips are as follows:

More doing nothing
Less unsafe lasers
Cover your dead zone better
Less hard reads more safe stuff

OK I watched game2 you did all of the things I said and then some. I see why you SHDL now but that setup only works as a read...and you did those as reads in G2 which is good

kismet2

Smash Ace
thanks for the advice. teluo you have a good point with wario's bike and i really like how it limits a good amount of wario's options. clowsui i've forgotten how easy it was to punish things out of shield in brawl and i should bair his bair sounds safe, it makes sense. the third and fourth game was just me losing a whole stock and losing a chance to swing the momentum back but it was probably just me being negative at that point. i appreciate the advice, i learned alot.

EDIT: clowsui <3 you too

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci1bBxPUiJs vs Reflex(Wario) set 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT6HR8N7Bs0 vs George(Kirby)

those are the ones i think i need most critique on.
I watched your kirby matches and it seemed like you had a lot of trouble with accidentally going into your full jab. I don't think you were doing it on purpose, but were messing up your jab cancel.

Anyways, I don't know if you know, but if you just press A once and then hold it, falco will only do one jab if he misses his opponent, and will automatically do two if you hit your opponent and won't randomly go into his full jab combo. Once I figured this out it helped me A LOT.

kismet2

Smash Ace
yeah i was practicing that recently and it's been alot of help. the full jab did hurt me and made me lose a little control. do you think i should use more ftilt in this matchup?

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
yeah i was practicing that recently and it's been alot of help. the full jab did hurt me and made me lose a little control. do you think i should use more ftilt in this matchup?
Well, I don't know this matchup very well, so don't take my word for it but I would say no.

Ftilt is good for obvious reasons and I believe an ftilt angled up could probably do pretty well shutting down kirby's aerial approach, but the problem is I'm pretty certain kirby can crouch under an ftilt. I know after hard landings, kirby's hurtbox goes too low to the ground to ftilt, which pretty much obsoletes jab cancel > ftilt which is a problem itself, but the real problem I see is that if a kirby predicts an ftilt, they can just crouch under it and then dtilt, which trips pretty often, and then fsmash. An ftilt angled down could fix that problem, but an angled down ftilt is much less safe than a normal ftilt.

I would just keep using jab the way you do in this matchup. Hope that helped at all.

Top Bottom