• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Everything Thread - The Basics, How To Improve, Frame Data etc.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
It's about time to update the Official Everything Thread but editting the crap out of the old one just isn't that fun. Instead, I have asked permission to construct a brand-spanking new one. Below you will find all the information you need to become a genius on Melee. Let's get this thing started! To kick things off, I will post all the links from the old one but I will add a summary next to each one as well. In this way, you don't even need to go through the trouble of looking at the thread to find out what it is about, instead just read the summary and then click on the link if you wish to see it.

SSBM Basics

Terms and Know-hows

Official Terms and Techniques Thread - Created by AlphaZealot and the knowledge supplied by various people. This thread covers everything you need to know about advanced techniques, terms, and tournament related things. An advanced technique is a move or combo that can be pulled off by all characters or specific characters and is not recognized as an official move (in Nintendo guides). These moves are often viewed as glitches but they help your game significantly. It is completely worth your time if you want to get better in general. The terms are various Smash terms that you better get used to. Things such as SHFFL (Short Hop + Fast Fall + L Cancel) and Dair (Down Air). As for the tournament related things, it covers which stages are banned and which ones are acceptable. It is also frequently updated so all the information in it is up to date.

DI, CC, and Teching Guide - DI (Directional Influence), Teching, and Crouch Cancelling are all deeper than usual advanced techniques and can be used for recovery and staying on the field longer than usual. These advanced techniques take control over the frames in Melee. By moving a certain way, you can alter the frames to your advantage. You won't have full control over them but you will have enough control to at least better your game to a degree. Worth a look.

Official Glitch and Secrets Topic - Not much to look forward to in the first post but throughout the thread you will see an abudance of various glitches you can perform throughout Melee. Such glitches include the famous "Black Hole" glitch and the "Time Freeze" glitch. Worth a look if you want to do some weird a** things.

Melee Master Guide - New to the Game? Check here! - I made this thing myself. Basically, it will give you all you need to know on how to unlock everything as well as a couple of other things. The entire Special Bonus Points List and Trophies List is included. Worth a look whether you be a beginner or a pro.

Hitbox Frames - Hitboxes are specific areas of a character on a more technical level. You need an AR so you can access the Debug Menu and check out the hitboxes for yourself. They deal with the range of a character and how hits land. Check this thread for more information.

Official "I need help with_____" Topic - FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, CHECK THIS THREAD OUT BEFORE YOU MAKE ANOTHER D*** THREAD ASKING FOR HELP WITH SUCH AND SUCH EVENT MATCHES OR WHO TO USE AGAINST DR. MARIO! This thread is for ALL of your questions on Melee. Check this thing out if you need help with something. A single question does not warrant an entire thread. I mean honestly, after it is answered, do you really think others will enjoy conversing about it further? Single questions do not warrant a thread nor do multiple ones. Check this out for help.

Statistics Listings - Very extensive information on the technical aspect of Melee. If you want to go even deeper than the advanced techniques then this is the place you want to look. It talks about the frames in the game and a lot, and I mean A LOT, of other information on the technical stuff in Melee.

PAL Tier List - There are different versions of Melee (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, and PAL) which basically means that frames are a tad different (nothing big like more unlockables or whatever). So to make sure you are on top of the tournament scene, we also have a PAL version of the Tier List. Check it out.

PAL/ NTSC(V1.0/1.1/1.2) Disc Version Differences Archive - Info on all the different PAL / NTSC (aka Europe) Melee versions

How To Improve​

Climbing to the Top: Strategies on how to become Professional

How To Improve - A Compilation

Stepping Up Your Game - Created by FluxWolf. This is a very in-depth guide on how to better your game and become professional. I'd suggest reading over it as it does include several aspects on the basic steps towards bettering your game.

Reaching the Pantheon - Created by The King. The first step in becoming a professional smasher is improving your confidence. This essay will tell you how to overcome your fear of smashing competitively. Trust me, we all get nervous at times. Just give it a once over and you will definitely be on the fast track to becoming a pro.

The Four Aspects of Melee - Created by Wobbles the Phoenix. This is the next level once you have become a confident smasher. It covers how to be an agressive and quick smasher. It also covers mindgames. Mindgames are something of a complicated nature despite it simple definiton, to analyze your opponents fighting style and use their predictability to your advantage.

The Advanced How to Play - Created by Wak. Alright, so you have the confidence and the aggression to be a professional smasher but what about the skill? You need skill before you get ahead of yourself and claim to be expert level. Check out these video guides on how to perform advanced techniques. Visual learning is always a good way to get good at something.

The 7 Habits of a Professional Smasher - Created by LunInSpectra. So now you are a professional smasher. Congratulations! Time to review what kind of habits you should be following now. Most of these things are stuff you do on impulse but it is always nice to look over what you need to be doing just to make sure you are not tripping up somewhere.

The SSBM Metagame - Created by Delphiki. Nothing to look forward to in the first post. If you read on though, you learn more about the metagame. This is an in-depth look on being professional.

Observation - Made by Mookierah, this is a guide to observation. After all, without proper concentration, how can you better your game? It might not sound that important but you should at least give it a look because it really is useful information.

Collection of (mostly) Severly Outdated Character Guides - Just what it says it is. These are guides on how to use specific characters in Melee but they are mostly outdated and less useful than they should be. It is worth a look if you are a complete newbie though. It won't cover much on advanced techniques though.

Collection of Updated Character Guides - Along with my unlockables guide, I also took the liberty of constructing an updated character guide links thread. Now along with the outdated character guides, you have a collection of updated ones. These guides will have information about advanced techniques and I strongly urge you look at them if you want to get better at Melee with particular characters.

SSBM History

Know Your History: Historic look into SSBM's past

SSBM Ranking Project, Codename RiTT (Roy is Top Tier) - As far as I can tell, it is a discussion on the tier list. The tier list is a ranking system for the tournament scene. A character's position on the list is based on their metagame. It is also split into five groupings (Top, High, Middle, Low, Bottom) to help you get a better understanding about their effectiveness without you needing to know their exact position. These groups are not done out of order though, since Mario is higher than Ganondorf on the tier list, he is more effective despite then both being grouped in the Middle Tier.

The History of SSBM Advanced Techniques - Not much to look forward to in the first post. It is NOT the history of the game but rather the history about how the advanced moves came to be. You will have to read throughout the thread for that info though since nothing is really explained in the first post.

Smash Backroom Applications Information (Partially Outdated) - Are you an expert on Smash? You don't need any of the links? You are just so good, that you might have even made up some new techniques? Then you need to check this out. If you are tournament organizer and an excellent Smash player then it is about time you join the Smash Back Room. The next applications topic comes out in Fall so check this thread out to see what you need to do to qualify and get your resume prepared.

Poll Of The Week Archive - An archive of Kokichi's popular "Poll of the Week" series. Well it return for Brawl?

SSBM Extras

Miscellaneous

Global Smasher Compendium - This is the SmashWiki. Basically, it allows you to find out the locations of Smashers everywhere. Having trouble looking for some opponents in your area? Use this to your advantage and find out where do find some more action around you.

Controller modification guide - Haha, modifying controllers, is this how far Smash has gone? Well basically, it tells you how to fix your controller so that you can wavedash and power shield easier. If you want to go through the procedure of tearing your controller apart and reassembling it so that you can do certain moves better then by all means, check this out. But it isn't that bad, you won't mess up your controller if you follow the procedure.

Official DC++ hub thread (smash videos!) - It is an informative guide on a program called Direct Connect, which allows you to share smash videos and also incorporates a chat room through use of a file sharing software. It is more of a social hang-out for Smashers now than a hub for video sharing though you can still download files from others. Youtube has made the video downloading largely obsolete.

"We <3 Magus420" Thread Compilation

We <3 Magus420: Because he is amazing

Thanks to Witchking_of_Angmar for organizing this

DI, ASDI, SDI, CC, etc.

A Post on ASDI/SDI
More DI stuff
Even More
Even More
Even More
Even More
Interesting information about DI
Double-Stick DI
Crouch Cancel and how it works

Teching

A Post on Double-Stick Teching
More stuff about teching
Even more stuff about teching

Miscellaneous

Falcon's battlefield auto sweetspot
Apparently, Fox can do it as well
Epic Ganon combo

Frame Data and Move Properties

A Post about how Auto-Canceling works and some frame data for Ganon's aerials
Just Basic info about priority
Stuff about powershields
Fair'ing with Sheik/Doc/most characters does NOT help recovery distance
"
Peach chaingrab %'s and detailed information
Jump startup frames
Jab reset (thunder’s combo) %'s etc.
How "stale" moves in Melee works
Dashing and grabbing at the exact same time
Powershield information
More PS info
Detailed Techs and Getups frames
Throws frame data

Tips & Tricks

Magus on pivoting
Teching after getting hit during an l-cancel
Sheik ***** Falcon
Really hard
Really really hard
Wavedash pivot edgehog
Moonwalking
falcon nair combo on floaties
Shield DI
Chasing tech rolls

Uck

Smash Journeyman
I like to say keep up the good work!Ill try to help some tommorrow with any informtion about guides.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Nice work, formatting and explanation can add a lot to the quality of material, and this thread definitely looks good.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Thanks. But this thing is far from complete. In the next few days I will reveal how I plan to deal with the missing guides and this thread should be complete within one month.

WHICH MEANS YOU GUYS NEED TO FILL IN THE BLANKS!

Bring me guides that need to go here and make suggestions for ones we don't have! This is a team job and I can't go it alone!

Seanson

Smash Ace
Hey, you've probably heard of my hitbox system. Does it warrant being here?

It is a good place to view hitboxes, discuss hitboxes, and talk about the program etc. There hasn't really been any main place to talk about hitboxes and I think it would be a good place to start.

I know it's incomplete at the moment, but it's being updated whenever it can be. (many people request it be stickied, but since theres already a load of sticky, this might be a good alternative)

Heres the link to the thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=95150

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
You need not worry about convincing me, just post the link and I will check it out. If it warrants being here, it will be added. And it most likely does belong here.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
I think you should make a section and call it game theory or something for those two threads many great thoughts from experianced players there.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
No we dont.Just pick and choose the ones you like I just threw a bunch up there.I personally recommend the first two.

EDIT: Wow its amazing how those threads on how to become a pro go so well together in the order you placed them.Even though they were made by different people talking about different aspects of the game.

Seanson

Smash Ace
well it wouldn't be the official everything without everything, would it.

some theory may help some more than others, so I think it would be good to provide a wide variety of views/thoughts on how things work. to better know the subject you should know all perspectives.

and as mentioned before, they're written by players with experience

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I appreciate that you want to help but I didn't make this thread so everybody that has ever written something remotely useful could get a link.

Duke

it's just duke. nothing to get worried about.
I think this thread should be written in the perspective of a wikipedia article. Meaning, I should be written in an unbiased and unopinionated manner.

These phrases and sentences are scattered all around your thread and it kind of detracts from it. I will name a few but overall you need to read through and ask yourself, Is this my opinion or is this the general consensus?

Here are a few:
These moves are often viewed as glitches but they help your game significantly.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, CHECK THIS THREAD OUT BEFORE YOU MAKE ANOTHER D*** THREAD ASKING FOR HELP WITH SUCH AND SUCH EVENT MATCHES OR WHO TO USE AGAINST DR. MARIO! This thread is for ALL of your questions on Melee. Check this thing out if you need help with something. A single question does not warrant an entire thread. I mean honestly, after it is answered, do you really think others will enjoy conversing about it further? Single questions do not warrant a thread nor do multiple ones. Check this out for help.
Haha, modifying controllers, is this how far Smash has gone?
It is worth a look if you are a complete newbie though. It won't cover much on advanced techniques though.
As far as I can tell, it is a discussion on the tier list. For those that don't know, the tier list is a ranking system for tournament goers. Since Fox is at the top of the tier list, that means that he is the most used in tourneys and has the most wins and since Mewtwo is the lowest on the tier list, he is the least used and has the least wins. The Tier List is also split up into five groups (Top, High, Middle, Low, and Bottom) which allows for an easier understanding providing you don't know a character's specific position on the list. For instance, Mario is Middle Tier so I have a pretty good understanding on how often he is used in tourneys. However, the groups are done in a specific order. Mario is above Ganondorf on the list making him more used; the groupings are not done in random order. Don't be confused though, the list is in no way an accurate way to define a character's skill. Just because Mario is lower on the tier list than Fox doesn't make him any less of a character. He is still more than capable of taking him on. It is just a way of knowing more about the tournament scene.
Your definition of a tier list is wrong. Essentialy what you are saying is, if I randomly decided to get 1,000 people together to main pichu he would become top tier. This is wrong, tier lists are based off the potential of a character based on his meta game.

The history of SSBM - Not much to look forward to in the first post.
Smash Backroom Applications Information (Partially Outdated) - Are you an expert on Smash? You don't need any of the links? You are just so good, that you might have even made up some new techniques? Then you need to check this out. If you are tournament organizer and an excellent Smash player then it is about time you join the Smash Back Room. The next applications topic comes out in Fall so check this thread out to see what you need to do to qualify and get your resume prepared.
There are a lot more but I don't want to list them all, I would be quoting most of the post. I don't want to sound rude or anything and I wouldn't want you to delete the whole post and start over. However, I think you should make corrections a little at a time. This will look better and more official if it is written in a more professional manner.

Again, I think this should be written like a wikipedia article, not in format but in writing style.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Because we all know 15 year olds have nothing but business writing techniques...

I'll change the tier list part but everything else stays because I am way too busy. If people continue to complain then I will change it.

Edit: By the way, not to be an a** or anything but how is explaining in an opinionated tone decrease the significance of the explanations? There truly was nothing to look forward to in the first post of the part you quoted and the SBRoom is categorized as something for tournament organizers and excellent smashers.

I doubt it is turning anybody off.

Duke

it's just duke. nothing to get worried about.
I didn't say it is detrimental to the post, I was just telling you one way to improve your post. Honestly, people would be blown away instead of just, "Hmm, that was informative"

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
All anybody wanted was an updated official everything guide with more links, they didn't even want the summaries. In fact, I didn't have to go through the trouble of adding them.

I only added them so that people could know what they were about to look at. I'm not trying to win any awards for outstanding posts. The point is, it is informative and that was what I was shooting for.

Thanks for trying to help though. I appreciate that.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
This thing is open to suggestions if that is what you are saying...

Link-wise. I will worry about the frame later...

Edit: I would really appreciate it if you guys would bring links to guides that need to be up there. It takes the work load off of me because I have to devote my attention to the Collaboration Project as well as construct the Multi Man Melee Guide. Bringing me links not only helps me but it helps the community. You will also be added to the Credits Section in return for your service.

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
Official Everything?

Although official everything does sound like a fitting title, when I was new here, it never got me to think about clicking it. I don't know, maybe the title just isn't enough of a hook for someone who's really searching for it, sorry I don't have any other suggestions but just a thought, maybe a newer more catchy title?

Great job on this.

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
Ignore This! I really would click on that! (There was a thread that went by that same title)
How about something along the lines of :bowser:"Complete Info Collection Thread":bowser:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?

I appreciate your opinion but I'm fairly sure the name does not hinder views. Check the amount of views on this thread alone. I believe it is somewhere between 900-1000 views. People just don't feel like posting and don't have to since this is an information thread.

Besides, this is a sticky and it says "Read This!" in the title so more likely than not, they are at least going to check it out.

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
If you still need a event match guide I could make one in a week. I also know where a good cruel melee guide is, but I don't think it would be legal to put it on this site. I could make a target test guide and home run contest guide, but it would take a few months to make all three.

It might take me more than a week because of school and stuff but it shouln't be a problem.

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
sorry, prob a stupid question but.. what is the advantage of crouch cancelling over just shielding?

PawN

Smash Rookie
Hey Uncle Kenny,

I desperately need to know how to make good quality videos

I suggest you try to find a guide of the process for people like me

I appreciate it!

Top Bottom