• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Disc-Read Error Solution Thread (Contribute Here)

EggSucker

Smash Cadet
Canada - Somewhere cold Mains: Yoshi, Pikachu, F
To clarify, this is acctually a very VERY slim chance of happening. When I say many, I really mean more then should be happening. Don't worry about it until it acctually happens, these people are just unlucky but sometimes it just needs a little cleaning.

Okay, so I decided to make an official thread before this went spiraling into a hundred different threads. This will be a main guide to helping you with the disc error so many people have come across. If you have discovered a solution, please make a comment here in detail how you did it, and what worked.

Because there is so many possible ways to fix it, I'd like to compile a list for easy access for everyone. It could be your Wii, it could be your disc, it seems like it could be anything. But it seems the main reason for failure is dust, or smoke.

---

Canned Air to clean out the dust in your Wii also has been a solution to a few people on gamefaqs.

Gas Duster:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canned_air

Thread:
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gen...topic=41859622

Running your disc under a water tap to remove a strange film but this is one of those 'do it at your own risk' so if you want to, go ahead as long as the water is not really hot it should be fine. Although again, It's a last resort type thing.

Thread:
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gen...topic=41859676

Please send your Wii to Nintendo if you feel like you can't fix this problem on your own. Don't do anything damaging to the Wii or you will not be able to get it fixed for free.

Information on sending your Wii to get it fixed:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/rep...rm_us_ssbb.jsp

+ Make sure your Wii is updated before trying to load Brawl
+ Keep your Wii out of dusty areas
+ Make sure your Wii is in a very clean area
+ Don't smoke near your Wii
+ Don't do anything risky/damaging to the Wii or Nintendo will NOT fix it.
+ Sending it in will be for FREE and FREE shipping. Which do you think is a better deal here?

Thanks to Jellybelly for the links.

---

Another potential solution was provided by Splooshi, here is what he said:

I had an error message when i first popped in SSBB and i thought, "oh F*** me!" so this is what i did and it worked right away, and it will probably work for you too.

start your wii EMPTY

wait for wii menu to come up

wait 15 seconds

insert SSBB

click on play disc icon

your wii should update to new software

and booya the game works.

---

Another potential solution provided by Greenpoe:

(Quoted directly from another forum, about that page)

Its nothing, and has already been reported on Kotaku. It actually affected my Wii. Insert disk, forces firmware upgrade, afterwards the Wii wont read the disk. Power off Wii, power up again, disk is read fine.

Yeah, what jools said. The second page tells you to:
1) Hold the power button for 4 seconds until the power LED turns red.
2) Press the eject button to remove the disk.
3) Reinsert the disk.
4) If the disk channel then shows the SSBB logo, you're good to go.

http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24965

Thread: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=150230

---

Anymore information will be listed here. Thanks! And I hope this helps.

Impossibilities

Smash Apprentice
is this really effecting a lot...I've only seen like 5 ppl that it really has happened to....or is this an epidemic?

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
this really does seem like a flaw on Nintendo's part...surely they could have foreseen this as a problem way before the release of Brawl. Surely they could have done something to prevent this from occuring.

Impossibilities

Smash Apprentice
they've delayed it for like 4 months...you'd think they'd of realized some issues by then. Is there anyone here that it HAS worked for? hopefully lots?

abectevolution

Smash Cadet
I had this problem, but there is nothing wrong with the disc. All I had to do was manualy update through the menu, and then the game showed up and updated again after clicking on the Smash icon on Wii's main menu. Your system just needs to be updated before it will recognize the disc. I'm guessing some people have updated, and some haven't. My Wii wasn't connected to the internet sence I moved into this appartment, so it wasn't updated for a while.

Sagem

Smash Rookie
Now im really scared!
Im european. But I own an american wii, and my copy of Brawl should arrive any day now.

Hope it will work because I cant use that replace program :(

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Another potential solution (worked for this guy):

(Quoted directly from another forum, about that page)

Its nothing, and has already been reported on Kotaku. It actually affected my Wii. Insert disk, forces firmware upgrade, afterwards the Wii wont read the disk. Power off Wii, power up again, disk is read fine.

Yeah, what jools said. The second page tells you to:
1) Hold the power button for 4 seconds until the power LED turns red.
2) Press the eject button to remove the disk.
3) Reinsert the disk.
4) If the disk channel then shows the SSBB logo, you're good to go.

http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24965

Thread: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=150230

-_Ven_-

Smash Rookie
People need to realize out of the 250 odd people browsing general at this moment (about 500 in the whole forums), only like 7 of them have had problems, and 6 of them had already fixed it.

NintendoGX159

Smash Cadet
I hope and pray that when I get my copy, it works fine. Like EggSucker said earlier, the Wii may need an update, but I hope that's not the case since I'm using dial-up and I have no USB connector.

dookieSMASH

Smash Cadet
ATTENTION: i havent see this solution yet, BUT i had this problem yesterday.

i got home popped in the game and got the unable to read error.

this is because my wii laser lens was dirty. CLEAN IT!!

all i did was take apart my wii, following a youtube wii dissassembly video.
i used isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip and swabbed the lens after dismantling.
AND IT WORKED!
IVE BEEN PLAYING BRAWL SINCE!
CLEAN THAT LENS!

USE ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL

BumbleBeeTunaButt

Smash Rookie
It definitely happened to me, and it wasn't the whole update thing. My lense is apparently dirty. I've had m Wii since the first Christmas it was out and has gotten pretty dusty at times. I've also smoked a few times around it. I'm still trying to figure out the quickest way to fix this. The last thing I want to do is send my Wii back to Nintendo for another week. That Gas Blaster thing sounds like a decent option.... anyone have any advice about that??

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Me too. I've sent it to a store to help me clean it. I had teach them what to do.

blingchu

Smash Cadet
is the problem with the disc or the system? Will replacing the disk fix it? I wanna play brawl but it isn't working

sublime815

Smash Rookie
i tried the canned air trick, no success though. im dreading having to send in my wii but im afraid if i take it apart ill really screw myself.

oceanic--ice

Smash Apprentice
Well It happened to me unfortunately and I feel like I have to say some things I've learn while searching the net for solutions... This problem occurs because SSBB is a double-layer disc with more data capacity (I've heard round 9GB) As You said this problem may occur because of the wii or the game or whatever...
Therefore someone may say: "If this specific problem happens with this disc and on many wii's then the problem should have been the same, so how can you say that in some cases it's the wii and in other's the disc" My guess is that the wii needs more time to read the disc or has to read more data per second thatn other discs. This means that any source that reduces the disc's reading will result in the wii posting the results (That it couldn't read the disc) This happens because the wii has something like a read timer which means that if something is not read within a set time it will not finish being read. Also many of the solutions you posted may not work for all wiis. For example lets say that my wii has a specific amount of dust which makes it be read like 3 seconds later than the wii would...then it has the read error because it has not been read fully... Then someone else's wii has more dust making it be read 10 seconds later...
and we both use canned air... both wiis will have some dust blown away, so my wii will now work but the other wii will not because it had more dust earlier so not enough will be gone.

Another thing that I've heard is that this error occurs on older wiis like mine which were bought soon after it was released. That's obviously because it gathered more dust but there could be exceptions like someone who tries his old wii to be kept clean...that person won't encounter the prob though someone with a wii like 1 month old who smokes all the time while playing and has a dirty room will be affected...

Unfortunately not only i live in europe but i also leave in cyprus...now ull say "wats that?"->Exactly!!! Not even nintendo cares about us so the free repair service does not reach us (and yes i bought it after it was officialy released in here)
I'm not saying this to whine of my wii not being repaired or to scare those who live in such countries....My purpose is to help them telling them what I will do... I have gave it earlier today (the wii not the game) to a shop to get it repaired... yes nintendo says that u shouldn't return the disc to the shop but that's because giving you a new one will not make a difference....instead giving them your wii to have them send it themselves to be repaired will solve the problem.... of course this way you will have to pay but if your wii really just needs dust cleaning it shouldn't cost a lot...in some cases they may even send it forward themselves and press the company to fix it themselves for free becuase of their free cleaning offer!
NOTE: Not all shops who sell wiis and games will do this but search them all and give it a try if nothing else mentioned in this thread or u might think of works

oceanic--ice

Smash Apprentice
I personally believe that it doesnt have anything to do with updates because i dont think that updates affect the way the console reads the discs so it wouldnt show the disc error if not updated but rather show the prob later as the game goes on....But despite this the brawl disc (after read) updates the system itself so it will propably get ur wii as it should be before u play

oceanic--ice

Smash Apprentice
I hope and pray that when I get my copy, it works fine. Like EggSucker said earlier, the Wii may need an update, but I hope that's not the case since I'm using dial-up and I have no USB connector.
I dont think so cause updates dont affect the way the wii reads the disc and thats definetely the prob... besides after the disc is read it automatically updates the system meaning that it doesnt need any unprovided update to further play nor to read at the beginning

oops soz i apologize for double-posting the exact same thing....i first posted and then i couldnt see my post in the page so ive written it all over again

Top Bottom