• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Critique My Diddy" Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Post your Diddy vids here and they will (hopefully) be evaluated by a team of professionals. Of course I am not part of this team but I will try to help the most I can.

Important Note!!!
For this thread to work, you guys are going to have to pitch in more. This thread was active before but people stopped posting their advise and it lost it's purpose fast. Obviously, some people aren't happy with the amount of responses they get and make a new thread for themselves which defeats the purpose of this thread.

EDIT: Getting a lot more attention in here. Thanks all.

TO FUTURE POSTERS! READ HERE!
Please refrain from posting videos where the skill gap between you and your opponent is too large. We can't help you if you 3-stocked your opponent, make sure that you are about equal skill level so we can properly give you advise. READ THIS ONE!

If you have a quick question about something you are doing wrong or if you are wondering whether or not you are doing something wrong, ask here and we will probably help. This thread is intended to make you a better Diddy and correct your mistakes. I am not trying to replace the Q&A thread.

As AviricePanda said, refrain from posting a ton of videos. We arn't going to spend 15 minutes to watch all of them. Just post one or two videos that show your biggest troubles and we will watch every second.

Please tell us whether you want specific matchups critiqued or your Diddy game in general. Post multiple videos with different characters so we can compare. What you are doing wrong against one matchup might not be the same with other matchups.

If you have any complaints about how this thread is run, please tell me in a Private Message, I want this thread to be great.

I don't always have the best advise, I really am not tourney active so you shouldn't think I am that great. I am about the same level as many of you guys (count, Teneban, ect.). What I say is usually going to be opinion and my own personal preferences on how matchups should be played. Diddy can be played so many ways that it becomes impossible to say that any one playstyle is "correct". Just trying to clear the air there.

Post away!

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
First!

I'll bite.

• Ing (Diddy) vs Cin (Olimar) 4-3-09
    Cin isn't the best Olimar I know or play (obviously, that would be DanGR), but I've been playing Cin since Brawl came out and he knows a lot of my habits. I won't say this is one of my best matches concentration-wise, but it's pretty representative of my current game. The funny thing is that I firmly believe I play better against DanGR's Olimar than Cin's (even though I always lose vs. DanGR).
  • Ing (Green Diddy) vs DanGR (Yellow Diddy) 4-3-09
    This is kinda a goofing-around match, because I wanted to see how DanGR approached Diddy. Neither of us tried our absolute hardest (chiefly DanGR, who didn't like the fact I recorded the match), but again, it's pretty representative if you can wade through the confusion that is a Diddy ditto (and the Barrel-Cancel into B-Throw into clanking with the flying barrels).
These matches were recorded early on in a Brawlfest that day, and I got significantly better (according to those I played) after the evening was through. I still have some of the same habits, of course, so critique of these videos would be really beneficial.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit

Legic

Smash Cadet

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Legic (diddy) VS Fawn (marth)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqedwyLss9A&feature=channel_page
Well this one is kinda old.. not online
Legic (diddy)VS Jbg (ike)
Legic(diddy) VS Jbg (pit)
I had some trouble with this matchup, online though

What do you guys think? I have never had advice, cause I can't brawl many people..unless it's online. Thanks
NOTE: You didn't link the last two videos, only the first.

In the first match, it was kinda hard to notice anything you were doing poorly for the simple fact that the Marth wasn't very good. One thing I did pick up on, though, is that you liked to stop bananas thrown at you by shielding them... but then you just let them drop to your feet, still under your opponent's control. When a banana bounces off your shield, you can full hop and Z-Catch the banana (and then instantly throwing it either at your opponent or, my personal favorite, right back down to the ground to stop them from chasing you) in one fell swoop, bringing it back into your possession immediately. This trick alone improved my Diddy gameplay by scores, and from the looks of it, it would help you too.

Legic

Smash Cadet
NOTE: You didn't link the last two videos, only the first.

In the first match, it was kinda hard to notice anything you were doing poorly for the simple fact that the Marth wasn't very good. One thing I did pick up on, though, is that you liked to stop bananas thrown at you by shielding them... but then you just let them drop to your feet, still under your opponent's control. When a banana bounces off your shield, you can full hop and Z-Catch the banana (and then instantly throwing it either at your opponent or, my personal favorite, right back down to the ground to stop them from chasing you) in one fell swoop, bringing it back into your possession immediately. This trick alone improved my Diddy gameplay by scores, and from the looks of it, it would help you too.
ok, I placed the links, thanks for the advice:)

rvkevin

Smash Lord
I believe my diddy kong is pretty solid, but tell me if you think otherwise. point out my mistakes :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58aBZYsiMow
You cartwheel too much to pick up bananas when there close to your opponent (Auto-Pilot?)...Learn to Pivot Dsmash, Dsmash is actually pretty fast when your actually facing them...You pull a lot of bananas off of the ledge, I prefer to grab them and throw them down at the edge instead...

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I believe my diddy kong is pretty solid, but tell me if you think otherwise. point out my mistakes :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58aBZYsiMow
You cartwheel too much to pick up bananas when there close to your opponent (Auto-Pilot?)...Learn to Pivot Dsmash, Dsmash is actually pretty fast when your actually facing them...You pull a lot of bananas off of the ledge, I prefer to grab them and throw them down at the edge instead...
He wasn't using his cartwheel that badly; better than most I've seen, in fact, especially when it came to unpredictability/Glide Tossing (and he had a sense of when it was safe to cartwheel up close... Granted, he was playing a Mario, who can't punish him as well for doing it).

What I noticed with your cartwheel is that when you have knocked your opponent far in front of you and you want to pick up a banana far behind you, you were dashing backwards and cartwheeling to pick it up instead of either stopping and regularly picking it up or using Down + Grab right as you pass over it (both of these are MUCH faster than cartwheel pickups). This helps with keeping banana combos going by leaving less time for your opponent to react.

The main problem with the video is the same one the other video I mentioned has... Your opponent really wasn't that good, and he/she couldn't exploit any weaknesses you had. That makes it hard for us to judge if you're actually good, or if you're just playing a bad player. Also, it makes it harder to help you with any bad habits you have (since they work on this weaker opponent, it's harder to make you realize they don't usually work, even though they'll fall short against better players).

This thread is moving too fast, and not enough people are critiquing other people's videos. This is going to cause a lot of overlooked posts and general disorder in this thread, unless more people post things other than their own videos. :x

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
Hahahaha
I'm so happy my quote is your signature Inguilt.

Only a couple things. Learn to short hop. Mix up your nanner game; it's the only thing keeping the Pit match up 50/50. Start throwing up especially since Pit seems to be in the air a lot. That means you can aerial after you bait the air dodge.

Lastly, this goes out to a lot of Diddy's.
LEARN HOW TO DI!
It's not that difficult; just smash DI to back air when you get knocked off the screen. Then immediately fast fast. In my opinion, unless you get gimped or sweet spotted, there is absolutely NO REASON why Diddy should die before 150.

Surjan

Smash Rookie
I've been playing smash from day one using diddy kong. I didn't choose any specific video just my youtube page of resent matches i've played online. If you you could just pick any video and let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Surjan08

(all matches are online playing in the all is brawl ladder using a capture card)

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Because too many are posting at once without critiquing others.

When I come back from school tomorrow, expect a lot of posts from me critiquing. And actually hold me accountable for this @_@

But really, if everyone made their own, not only would they all get basically the same amount of posts, but there'd be an influx of spam threads that could all be lumped into one.

@surjan, Link 2 to 3 videos of matches please. We don't want to scour through your channel and find things months old. Find the most recent matches that you've played in and link those.

@Legic

I didn't watch the first match against the Marth but I watched the other two. Some things I noticed...

Your bananas seemed pretty obvious. You, most of the time, only had one banana out, which can work and you have easier control over it, but you were obvious. Plus, two bananas just gives you more momentum with throwing and dribbling, so you don't have to roll as much (you had the habit of rolling in general). Your opponents (should) have had an easier time controlling them really.

The sheild+z-catch thing would help, but it was already mentioned.

Sometimes it seemed like you dribbled and then didn't really know what to do. Like during the match against the Ike, there was a time where you had a banana in hand and approached, then dribbled back, but the Ike didn't whiff an attack, and you rushed back in and he jabbed you. Don't act on impulse like that. I'm pretty sure it would have worked HAD he whiffed an attack, but you can't count on things like that automatically happening.

In general, your DI could be better. Also, that last kill on the Ike should not have happened. It was painfully obvious what you were trying to do, and he could have just SDId out of the laser anyway.

It seemed like you wouldn't fully commit to being aggressive at times. Sometimes you have to retreat after a short combo, although it seemed like you were never in their face, making them slip up or trying to predict responses and punishing them.

I liked the random monkey flip kicks you added in, they were surprising. Sometimes they weren't as sudden but they still worked. You'd be fighting and all of a sudden, WHAM flip kick to dsmash...good job on that unpredictability :D.

tl;dr: Control your bananas better, and this counts towards every Diddy. Two bananas are a lot of the time better than one, you have better mobility with two and it's harder for your opponent to keep up with two. Mix up your banana approaches. Dribble moar, but not just randomly.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
...Okay, I've gotten a few more matches recorded, and I'm safely thinking that I should just post them in my own thread. This thing is dead, and has been. :|

Player-1

Smash Legend
Just wondering, are we actually going to the Diddy players? Because no one seems to be doing so, or should be the anti-conformist and be like...the Simon Cowell of this and rate even the best Diddys as 1/10 =p 1 being the worst.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
@Inguilt

Spacing. There were just general times where you'd mispace attacks (like a monkey flip kick that came short) and times where a different attack would have worked better (you made him trip at 150% but grabbed instead of dsmash or fsmashed). Some of it might have just been attributed to the match-up though, because you did some things that were punished or should have been, like approaches directly from the side or above. Just general things that Olimar can punish.

Approaching. Don't roll as an approach, ESPECIALLY against Oli, because he has good tools to punish (dsmash). Some weren't punished as much as others. Rolling away, depending on where you were, also wouldn't work. You also rolled a bit when you had a banana in hand, and dribbling is almost always better when you're just trying to move. There were also times where after you got pushed just out of range or you sheilded/spotdodged, you'd try to run straight at the Oli again for a grab or something, and they got punished.

Soeaking of dribbling, I didn't see much of that. Your general banana control could be better. Some things you did were really nice, like the aerial or fullhopped dthrows and your z-catching. But in general when you had a banana on the ground, you threw it at the Olimar a large majority of the time.

You had chances at the beginning of the match to edgehog the Oli, but you were often too late.

....I'm bad at pointing out good things when critiquing, so sorry if this isn't an encouraging post. x_x

@Surjan

I'm using your match against CeeY as reference.

You're really aggresive, a lot of the time, which isn't good. The first match your bananas overwhelmed your opponent and you took control of that, although really the DK wasn't good at getting by and controlling bananas. The second match you hardly used bananas, I'm not sure if you were afraid of them being reflected or you just didn't feel like it. Nearly all of the time you glide-tossed forward at his DK, and didn't dribble or anything much. Although you didn't really need to against his DK, so I can't judge that well.

Some of the things you did shouldn't have worked, like the monkey flip kick when the DK was charging his fsmashed. You also rolled to approach a lot against the Falco, which is really punishable. Don't roll as an approach.

Your aggression left you open a lot of the time. You needed to be more wary of what your opponent was doing. You got CGd each stock (and the Falco was often whiffing grabs) and that 2nd stock death where you got spiked down really shouldn't have happened. Don't always approach, take some time to retreat and get control.

Your aggression worked the first game because his DK wasn't good at dealing with bananas. The second game your aggression got punished some times, although it really should have been punished more. Your opponent also rolled a lot and needed improvement too (he wasn't that great), so I couldn't accurately judge all of your skills. But yeah...

tl;dr: You were really aggressive, and it hurt you.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWRIHLyuFek
Online vs a really good sheik.
any advice i'll take xd, sometimes idk wth to follow-up with nanas.
This is a prime example of facing a possibly good player that simply just doesn't know the matchup. You probably could have just spammed bananas the entire time and your opponent wouldn't know how to deal with them. There isn't much to say because you are going to need a video of someone who has experience facing Diddys. Otherwise, we can't tell you your pros and cons.

lucha5

Banned via Warnings
Yea i'll prob have to play somebody top cause most online players hate diddy

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Yea i'll prob have to play somebody top cause most online players hate diddy
True that. Before we can take your skill into perspective, we are gonna need some good videos. Get those vids slappin on the interwebs buddy!

OverLade

Smash Hero

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
I've been using Diddy for a while for fun but Im trying to legitly learn him just to not be a Metawhore. =D

Can I get some advice on Situational moves and different things.

More recent

Redhalberd Diddy vs. Gmoney Wario - Money matches -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39zi3EcGSFQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o480ueEmeI&feature=related

Oldish

Redhalberd Diddy vs. Mampam Snake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSzz7sHWa6o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZCXmSmiNAQ
Very nice Diddy, it's hard to say much about you because it seems like you would already know what you did wrong by watching your videos. It is just a matter of practicing and getting better with banana placement. In the first two videos, it just seems like you would simply throw the bananas around without planning things ahead of times. It did work for the most part but when you play against opponents who know the matchup better, you will see that they will take advantage you. Also, never feel pressured to throw a banana. I usually have a banana in my possession and another one somewhere close to me on the stage. This allows me to control the stage and my opponents movements.

Sanzi

Smash Apprentice
I've been using Diddy for a while for fun but Im trying to legitly learn him just to not be a Metawhore. =D

Can I get some advice on Situational moves and different things.

More recent

Redhalberd Diddy vs. Gmoney Wario - Money matches -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39zi3EcGSFQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o480ueEmeI&feature=related

Oldish

Redhalberd Diddy vs. Mampam Snake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSzz7sHWa6o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZCXmSmiNAQ

Also I noticed you picked up bananas off platforms by Nairing when the Wario wasn't near you. Z catching is much faster.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Also I noticed you picked up bananas off platforms by Nairing when the Wario wasn't near you. Z catching is much faster.
Good eye Sanzi. You might want to get out of this habit, it can really make a difference. I was the same way.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
I just started playing as Diddy 3 days ago. Any advice for someone relatively new to Diddy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSrZGHoqAbM

The Snake wasn't on his game that day...

Also, sorry for the quality. The john is in the video description.
For a 3 day old Diddy player that was very impressive. Here are some things that you could improve on:

1. Use the Monkey Flip more! The kick has decent priority and is a good way to get rid of some space. The hump does more damage and is sexy. Plus it can be used as a surprise **** when the opponent shields expecting you throw a nanner or cartwheel.

2. Dair is a much better spike then the ^B. If you have the chance to abuse it, then do it.

3. I was very impressed by your nanner skills. Just before you throw it, make sure it is going where you want. I can understand that you are only using one banana now, but later on, make sure that you can use both effectively.

I have high hopes for you my friend. I am going to write more soon so expect an edit tommorro.

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
For a 3 day old Diddy player that was very impressive. Here are some things that you could improve on:

1. Use the Monkey Flip more! The kick has decent priority and is a good way to get rid of some space. The hump does more damage and is sexy. Plus it can be used as a surprise **** when the opponent shields expecting you throw a nanner or cartwheel.

2. Dair is a much better spike then the ^B. If you have the chance to abuse it, then do it.

3. I was very impressed by your nanner skills. Just before you throw it, make sure it is going where you want. I can understand that you are only using one banana now, but later on, make sure that you can use both effectively.

I have high hopes for you my friend. I am going to write more soon so expect an edit tommorro.

1) I noticed when I was playing earlier today. I love how it comes out of no where and catches my opponent off guard.

2) I know, but doing it with the Barrels is so much more fun. =p If I take Diddy to a serious match against someone I don't know, I'm sure to use the D-Air over up-B for spiking every time.

3) I do have some trouble controlling 2 Bananas at the same time, but this comes with practice.

Overall I like Diddy and will continue playing him. He has the speed that I like, along with the annoyance factor that I love. Who knows... He might replace Weegee as my main. Or be a close second, because I can't just toss Weegee away like that. =p

TreK

Is "that guy"
You could main both 8D *mains both*
From what i saw, it's promising : you are def' good at this game ; just keep training diddy cause you just lack experience with him
I am lagging and about to sleep, i'll watch the entire match later lol

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
1) I noticed when I was playing earlier today. I love how it comes out of no where and catches my opponent off guard.

2) I know, but doing it with the Barrels is so much more fun. =p If I take Diddy to a serious match against someone I don't know, I'm sure to use the D-Air over up-B for spiking every time.

3) I do have some trouble controlling 2 Bananas at the same time, but this comes with practice.

Overall I like Diddy and will continue playing him. He has the speed that I like, along with the annoyance factor that I love. Who knows... He might replace Weegee as my main. Or be a close second, because I can't just toss Weegee away like that. =p
I love how annoying he is. That was the main reason I kept using him :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom