• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Critique My Diddy" Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Goofy : lots of 'I'll just GTFO of here' rolls where you could have attempted to punish stuff. I mean, it's safe and okay, but when the opponent isn't safe, that's not optimal. Especially when you have a nana in hand.
And I don't think I saw you usmash more than once or twice.
('bout your MK : attempt a little more juggling. This is diddy's weak point)

River : I like how you attempt weird stuff to catch the nanas. It makes your position harder to guess and that's good for you.
I saw very few shielding from you. idk if it's good or bad, as I'm a hardcore shielder myself x)
But in exemple, you messed the punition of a MK's glide attack because you wanted to dash away and glide toss back in, which failed. Punishing it with a shield is super easy.
There's only one superstupid thing you seem to do, it's staying close to your nanas when they're together : you often let goofy recover just to do a little dribbling.

Both : notice how whenever you pick a nana, your next action is going to be a glide toss. No matter the direction of the slide, no matter the direction of the toss, no matter the timing. You don't aerial toss them, you don't side B with nanas, popgun, etc... often enough to be unpredictable at least.
There's even a special 'I will glide toss now' timing for river (about the duration of a diddy's dash)

Hope that helps. I'm just pointing those habits with an outsider's eye, not saying I'm better or whatever, my diddy is pretty lame haha

RiverDB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiVerDB
Thanks for the advice Teneban, i mostlikely rarely shield because of my old habit(spotdodging like mad) and when i focus on not doing that, i don't use any evasive moves much.
The non-gimping thing is something i've been working on, and i might have a set uploaded soon which shows i've been going more offstage against opponents(mostly vs certain characters like TL).
And tbh, you're mostlikely right about the lack of mixups while holding a naner, it's something i sometimes notice, but don't fix, i'll try to work on that.

Again, thanks for taking your time to watch the vid and make that write-up. :)

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
RiV was faster than me but ty for your help in this
I still need t work on a lot of things to improve =)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Cyve

I need to take my rematch with Ramin soon as well. Lol

Imo you did put youself in dangerous situations pretty often.
I saw it happen that you did just go in on him where you could camp in stead.
I also think you could mix up your landing a bit I saw that Mr-R could predict it pretty easy.
at 1:40 you did the ledge hop nana pluck 2 times in a row.You just gave him a free banana
and it did got really predictable you lost your first stock with it.
I think vs marth you could play a bit more defensive and punish him in stead of letting him punish you.
things in the marth mu that are importante is that you can punish his fair with yours.
you also like to go off-stage which is dangerous vs marth.
you do airdodge and spotdodge at moments where you don't really need to which is punishable.

I like your diddy it's good and fast.But I think you take to many risks that you don't need to take.
I think that playing safe at some point can reward you a lot.
I also did notice that you do some useless movements like airdadges or spotdodges when you don't need to.I think you could grab him at the last moment of the match. Not sure about that.
you also like to go off-stage prette often where you could pluck banana's and throw them off-stage or just get the stage control.

these are a few things I saw =)
maybe it's useless info but I think it can help a bit.
I am europian as well so maybe we will meet and play a bit =)

CYVE

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the advice, yeah I think I played too aggressive against him.
There are also other matches on the channel, so go ahead if you/anybody else would like to criticise my gameplay

All help is appreciated!

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
well you didn't play bad at all but Ramin is just so good.
and playing face to face wit hhis marth is really difficult xD
so I find it better for myself to just don't go in there.

asportking

Smash Rookie
All right, I could use some help with my Diddy skills. I'll upload a video when I have the chance, but until then, I'm just going to describe some of the problems I'm having. If it's not too much trouble, maybe somebody could give me some suggestions?

I usually go against Snake (a.k.a, my brother), and since he's new to Snake, he doesn't really know many of the "tactics," but he's oddly dangerous nonetheless. One thing is that he likes to use his dash attack a lot (not one of Snake's better moves, but I can never figure out how to exploit it). Although I do have a little trouble avoiding them (I try to predict them, but whenever I think he's going to do it, he doesn't), the main problem is that they pick up bananas so efficiently. It's hard to use bananas against them, since he just picks them up and uses them against me.

Another problem I face is when we're "rolling buddies" (I don't know what else to call it), where we both pretty much roll across the stage right next to each other in sync. The only way to stop this stalemate is if I roll the opposite way or stop, where he promptly does a dash attack.

The last problem I have (I actually have a lot more, but I can tell this is getting long) is that he spams his Nikita so much. The most troublesome scenario is when we're on opposite sides of the stage. His patience is second to none, so there's no way I'm going to be able to get him to come to me. My peanuts can't get over his missiles, and if I try to approach him, he usually does (surprisingly enough) a dash attack, although he's quite fond of his f-tlit as well.

Any help? I don't expect anyone to write me a big long paper, but just a few suggestions here and there would be greatly appreciated.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
New to Snake, so definitely not like the grenade-camping Snakes I deal with. Snake's dash attack moves pretty quick, goes decently far, and yeah picks up naners that whole distance. Obviously there, just having a naner out in between you two in that situation. Two naners in your control could keep him at bay, but as a Diddy, it'd be nice to have a naner in hand.

Diddy moves fairly quick, so you should really bust out of the rolling habit. If you know how to glide-toss, it may help you maneuver the stage easier with the naner being a bonus of hitting your opponent as you move away or towards him. If he rolls as much as you say he does, try to get your naner to land his roll would be and see if you can follow up.

I don't see Nikita too much so I may be out on a limb here, but if you can power shield the missile, you can gain ground distance while Snake puts away his Nikita. Otherwise air dodge through it and don't contest it. Not sure if being ballsy and FAiring the missile would work.

tibs7

Smash Champion
dude neath. you got kinda ***** lol. its ok marth is really tough and leon is a ridiculous player so its harder than usual.

anyway you rolled waaaaay to much he was basically waiting for you to move/roll just hit him if hes like that. or roll the other way. alot of times you rolled through him. marth side B covers that so well so dont even bother doing it unless he does a really laggy move.

when marth lands and you have a nana in hand dont always throw it!! side B grab! its a basic mindgame but it works!
oh and you side B'd waaay to much. its not that great against marth. every move he has will go through it and he can upB OOS. kinda unsafe.
anyway just play safer, rushed in. needed to hit him away and then set the tempo

Vega4

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz2W4xdekqQ&feature=relmfu
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2QV2CjuR8I&list=UU3yRpvY3I9VKBNwujnUJXog&index=1&feature=plcp

I don't know what to do against Leon, he puts too much pressure on me and I cannot manage to camp efficiently.
Maybe he's just on a whole other level but I'd like some advice please.
"Neath is not playing this match the way he should. He can't play ofensive vs Marth, Diddy can't do it. Diddy has to CAMP vs Marth. You put one naner in the ground in front of you, other in your hand, and you start to shoot peanuts. If you do it right, is hard as hell for Marth to get in. He aventually is going to trip with one of your naners, once he do it, you hit him (or grab him), and go away and reset the situation."

"That's it, once and again. It's not the funiest way to play, but is the RIGHT way to play vs Marth, Otherwise you get *****, like we saw in this vid and in GF1..."

Deez.

Smash Lord
wow this diddy is great.:)

EDIT: my advice is this
I saw that when you lost your momentum you had a bit of trouble regaining it.
try to not go in such a moment and take you momentum first(banana's)

hope this will help a bit =)
Thank you. point well taken sir. :mad: I'll practice that. ^_^

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
I see a space for improving

I really recomand your friend to read the kongpendium it's a great guide and it is really helpfull.
it's knowledge of his character that I think is his biggest downfall.
making that start with brawl is always difficult but if you read guides and watch yourself back it will help a lot I also recomand it strongly to watch video's from other diddy's
watch what how they use a banana and how they use diddy's moveset.(I can say that this did help me the best together with the great guides these boards have) I still often find myself reading and watching stuff I allready know just because it helps.

Things I see are a lot of rolls and a lot of misspacing's
I almost never see any Advanced technique.

that's all I have for now.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
hmm maybe he can read it in parts?

like reading 1 part every day
that can help. If he can't then he maybe likes to watch video's from other diddy players

Deez.

Smash Lord
His diddy is really slow and basic.. He should start trying training exercises in his free time... Like glide toss...fairing from ground while picking up a nana at the same time...z droping more.. less air dodging to catch the nana.. always use fair or an attack for it protects you when people try to punish you.

1.Stop rolling.
2.Shoot more peanuts.
3.Stay in shield more.
4.Improve on execution.
5.Wait for them to make a move and you react to it..

Things your friend should be doing more...let me know if any of that helps.

Deez.

Smash Lord
Yeah I don't practice much either.. Idk why just seems boring as hell. but yeah spacing is key in this game but learn those ATs first. before because the only advantage diddy has over his opponents is being better with using the bananas than them. I can give you tips in match-ups if you like just PM whenever.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Okay guys, time to tear me apart:

Ingulit (Diddy) vs George (Kirby)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDRrTDXzeG0
Only critique the first match please, the second one I just generally goofed up (namely I stopped using Bananas for some reason).
Ingulit (Diddy) vs Spade (Marth)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dwUWKl_sV0
These are both from the most recent tournament I went to, and I was pretty rusty. The only thing I'll say is that I know the SDs were my fault and that I shouldn't have been ****ing around on the edge like I was, so any critique on my gameplay other than that would be appreciated.
EDIT: This is from Swiss pools at that tournament; it's the only set I dropped in pools:

Ingulit (Diddy) vs Cam (Pikachu)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J48bmK-fM4Q

Player-1

Smash Legend
going to go ahead and post some vids of mine too, I was waiting for one set to get fixed cuz it had mixed games from another set, but i don't think it's getting fixed.

Vs Kismet (falco):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK9r4btM64U&list=UUzwpgSjMke-UEcu-4JP4HcA&index=31&feature=plpp_video

Vs Reflex Winner Finals (first 2 matches are from a pools set, but it was still 1-1):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86OQfNRnKpU&list=UUzwpgSjMke-UEcu-4JP4HcA&index=42&feature=plpp_video

Vs Reflex Grand Finals 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i0Hj0KNPQU&list=UUzwpgSjMke-UEcu-4JP4HcA&index=66&feature=plpp_video

Vs Reflex Grand Finals 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhTqHHYpTAg&list=UUzwpgSjMke-UEcu-4JP4HcA&index=65&feature=plpp_video

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
@ Ingulit

Okay I will try to help

what I see a lot in your gameplay is that you get kinda predictable with your moves.
I recomand more mixups and more grabs in general. Like when yuo try to land you often get punished because it's a bit readable. Wavebounce and SideB away from your oponent can help this.
If I was you I would play more like wait and bait. It's still a kirby so you always have the option to camp and play safe.
You also can help yourself a lot by working on your spacing

You don't use dtilt a lot actualy and it is a great close range move with a lot of follow up's like: usmash,sideB,Grab and another dtilt.(Even jab 1) use this to do some colse range combo's
also shoot more peanuts to set presure.It's a great toll for presure game and it makes it harder to uproach you.

general conclusin

Use more tilts
wait and bait more.
Use more peanuts.
Work on your spacing.
Work on your landing
Grab more,Grab is great.
Do not roll t much (it cost you your sacond stock.)
Don't use fair to late it gives to much landing lag for that.
dodge less

just some general things that can get punished hard

hope it did help =)

Deez.

Smash Lord
I concur with what GoOfy said.. he pretty much named everything you need to work on at this point..

1.Spacing.
2.more peanuts
3. Jab grab is good in this match-up as well.
4.STOP! throwing away your nanas so per-maturely...your reads are terrible just wait longer for him to approach. when you think you should throw it, don't! wait until the throw is obvious as shidd.. then throw it. the punish your suppose to will be blinding obvious. so just wait a bit longer with nanas.

Player-1 - Same with you P1... you throw your nanas away as well when waario got in or close to you..just let him hit your shield or take the non killing grab move hell do to you.. and if you know his only option is to grab punish him.. other then that ggs P1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom