• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Captain Falcon Video Critique Thread

The Shadow

Smash Apprentice
Hey @ Coffeemug Coffeemug i'm loving those full hop u-airs, but i feel like you're doing that toooo much + approach with spaced aerials more, and Short Hop, short hop, short hop!

I see in both those matchups you dash-dance and get hit; however sometimes you punish. Limit the amount of times you get hit. Make sure to react to approaches. In the Doc match up I just overwhelm him with undershot or low momentum nairs, and if i get a hit with the second kick just sweep em'.

That ties into a big thing you need to focus on is THOSE TECH CHASES. Fix that, and focus on the horizontal combo game, and you'll be good.

Coffeemug

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the analysis dude, I definitely need to hit some basics again. I've just been developing habits that make my full hops work for the time being but probably won't in the long run. but yeah I agree I could have benefitted from hitting my short hops

And yeah, if I can get my dash dance and tech chase game up to consistency that'd be great.

BauxFalcon

Smash Apprentice
If anyone has the time and wants to take a crack at some recent sets of mine I'd love to get feedback.

My first time fighting a Doc in tournament so it's all kinda of awkward
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQUyXjRVjHM match starts at 8:44:00

and a recent set against marth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1EN2c3x40Q

One major thing I've already been monitoring is toning down my sideb's. I notice in the marth match I went from trying to punish bad aerials to just throwing them out there absent mindedly.

I'm gonna critique your Marth match, since I don't know much about Doc.

0:04 - Starting right off, please don't do back throw or forward throw at low percents and mid stage. Do them near the ledge to get them off. You should be doing down throw to nair against Marth, or up throw to uair and combo off of those two options.

0:06 - Knee is not a good option in neutral all the time. Substitute it for nair, knee only when you know exactly where the opponent is, because it is a laggy move. nair and short hop uair are your friends in neutral.

0:09 - OK, so the Marth Falcon matchup is all about punishment. You went in, that's not good all the time. You have to be very patient, and be aggressive with your DD's. Wait until Marth throws out a move before attacking like that. Your opponent DD'ed outside of your range, so be sure to keep your opponent in range when being aggressive/ waiting for an attack opportunity. You have more neutral options than Marth, so you can stay very close to him (i.e. just outside of tipper range).

0:15 - Excellent choice for uair here.
0:16 - Short hop uairs, work on them. You can rarely combo off of fullhop uairs. Remember, Marth-Falcon is all about punishes, so the better your combos are, the better you'll be.
0:22 - Ok, so let me break down a simple truth in this matchup. Don't get hit (when defending). Let me show you how.

*1*
2*3

Ok, so 1 is the top platform, 2, and 3 are the sides, and 456 are the base of the stage. Star just represents a space in the stage where there is no platform or whatever.

Always make sure to be opposite of your opponent at all times. So if he's on 2, be on 3 or 4. If he's on 1, be on 4, 5, or 6.

Get it? Good.

0:23 - Knee is not good neutral, especially blatantly thrown around like that.
0:28 - I don't know if that was a tech skill error, but pivot nair would've been just fine in stopping his approach, and even getting a grab which leads to combos.
0:33 - Best options on ledge (in order of effectiveness) 1) Uair 2) nair 3) knee (if you have HUGE balls) 4) stomp (only use if your opponent is an idiot) 5) bair (you won't ever use this when trying to get back on stage
0:43 - Only raptor boost within range. Never ever use it as an approach option, only as a punish tool.
0:48 - Do you have 20xx? You should definitely work on some bread and butter combos like
Raptor boost > knee
Uair > knee
Soft knee > uair
Stomp > knee/anything
u/dthrow > knee
nair > uair > uair
bair > knee
nair > grab
dthrow > nair
uthrow > uair
0:57 - Once again, work on SHFFLS
1:00 - No, never neutral getup. Falcon has an amazing waveland onto ledge, and it's very customizable as to how far you want to go.
1:08 - Good pressure to get him away.
1:12 - lol moonwalk :)
1:26 - You do this a couple times, but when you panic, you roll. Don't do this. be sure to mix it up.
1:28 - Good punish sequence, you pressured nicely and everything.
1:47 - Exactly what the commentator said, you're not getting your setups. If you have 20xx hack pack, work on your setups, otherwise, just practice comboing on lvl 7 CPU's
1:59 - Good patience on the ledge
2:23 - No back throw pls
2:24/5 - Only raptor boost when outside of Marth's range.
2:50 - This is an ideal, bread and butter combo any Falcon can do. Always go for these simple combos at EVERY opportunity you get.
3:13 - Dash attack is Falcon's worst move. Opt for nair (spaced properly of course) or gentleman for shield pressure instead.
3:30 - You got lucky, use falcon kick very sparingly. That wasn't the right time to use it.

Game 2

Guide for not getting hit on pokestadium against Marth

1**2

If he's on 1, you better be on 3, 4, 5, or 2. If he's on 4, you better go to 6 or 1/2 depending on the situation. Remember, the rule of thumb is to be opposite or below your opponent at all times.

5:04 - Falcon's crouch cancel is not the best option. But you may be able to get a free grab.
5:05 - What you did out of the crouch cancel was a dtilt. Dtilt is only good against spacies in some odd situations. It has high lag, so don't use it after a CC, opt for grab/ dsmash at high percents.
5:13 - How to avoid SD'ing. Use the name entry glitch to play alone, then just fool around and try to spam tech skill as much as possible. Do this to the point where you can get anywhere by ANY means possible. If you have 20xx hack pack just do timed matches without any opponent and do the same.
5:25 - An example of where it is good to knee
5:26 - Taunt was absolutely necessary, go for these whenever you can.
5:44 - NO FLAOCN KIKZ
6:20 - Just as a rule of thumb, Falcon is a fun character and super aggressive, but there is a difference between aggressiveness and recklessness.
6:30 - Damn, you must have massive balls
6:44 - Good sequence
8:06 - This was entirely necessary, you were not a Falcon main until you did this exact thing.
Ok, so overall, you're a good player. You need to work on SHFFLS, movement, platform wavelands, and general comboing. You have the other fundamentals down nicely (spacing, baiting, patience (sometimes))

Dat beard is top tier tho.

Good luck man, hope this helped :)

Last edited:

Bu$

HoC
Hey guys i'm back again. Just wondering if anyone around here that knows what they're talking about can watch my set. I've already taken my own notes but just looking for a different opinion. I'm also very aware of my god awful DI. Sheik general neutral game tips would be g00d.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzbvUWnfdV4

Cheerzzzz

Last edited:

BauxFalcon

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys i'm back again. Just wondering if anyone around here that knows what they're talking about can watch my set. I've already taken my own notes but just looking for a different opinion. I'm also very aware of my god awful DI. Sheik general neutral game tips would be g00d.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzbvUWnfdV4

Cheerzzzz
0:13 - Stomp isn't good in neutral, neither is knee. Always go for a grab punish, and shield grab as much as possible in this matchup. Instead of stomp, however, use nair or uair, they are much better options in neutral.
0:20 - Bair was a good choice, thouhg you misspaced it
0:25 - You're up in Sheik's face, you're not supposed to do that. Respect Sheik's range and keep a safe distance away, enough so that you can do a dash nair, but also so that you can evade Sheik's attacks if needed. You're supposed to be more patient and outpunish Sheik in this matchup.
1:03 - Your DD'ing is pretty decent
1:20 - This matchup is the one matchup where you can't use raptor boost. EVER.
2:30 - Ok, Falcon can't chain grab Sheik. Also, uthrow to uair juggle is a good option if you know how to use it. Learn how to use the first hit of nair to link right into a grab, because this matchup is SUPER grab heavy.
2:37 - Tech skill error?
2:50 - Neutral getup with Falcon isn't good. Waveland onto ledge is much better of an option.
3:17 - Running up to Sheik like that is never a good idea. It's good to stay cautious in this matchup.
3:19 - I'm not 100% sure, but dthrow to knee would've closed the stock there.

Good first game, nothing in particular to work on. You probably don't know the matchup very well, or haven't played it much.

4:32 - Uair instead of knee there
5:30 - Your recovery is super predictable sometimes, lol
5:50 - Fthrow is really bad, don't use it unless you're trying to get the opponent offstage, but at that percent, that's not gonna happen.
6:43 - Double stomp is bad, use nair for space control instead, and nair also leads into better punishes like grab or knee at some percents.
6:50 - uair is better
7:14 - Now this might be a bit to ask of you, but you could've dropped from ledge and done a uair to stagespike, then recovered, but then again, it is difficult.
7:15 - You should've refreshed your invincibility/rolled
7:24 - Yeah, don't use side b in this matchup, as you can see why.

OK second game. You might not be too good with small stages.

8:12 - At this point, i'd think it's fairly punishable to stop him from transforming. You might even get a free kill,
9:36 - Have you heard of pivoting? Try working on pivot nairs (or any aerial for that matter) and be patient, while using pivot nairs to stuff Sheik's approaches. Falcon is a punish heavy character, he can't approach well.
10:35 - Raptor Boost for recovery? I remember my friend would do this in some Falcon dittos or Spacie-Falcon matches, and I'd purposefully run into them, meteor cancel it, and live, as he fell to his doom. Raptor boost is bad, use UpB or airdodge instead
11:20 - You missed the taunt damnit. :p :)

Good set overall. Just work on pivot nairs, and use nair and uair more in neutral. Don't use stomp or raptor boost nearly as much as you do.

Coffeemug

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna critique your Marth match, since I don't know much about Doc.

0:04 - Starting right off, please don't do back throw or forward throw at low percents and mid stage. Do them near the ledge to get them off. You should be doing down throw to nair against Marth, or up throw to uair and combo off of those two options.

0:06 - Knee is not a good option in neutral all the time. Substitute it for nair, knee only when you know exactly where the opponent is, because it is a laggy move. nair and short hop uair are your friends in neutral.

0:09 - OK, so the Marth Falcon matchup is all about punishment. You went in, that's not good all the time. You have to be very patient, and be aggressive with your DD's. Wait until Marth throws out a move before attacking like that. Your opponent DD'ed outside of your range, so be sure to keep your opponent in range when being aggressive/ waiting for an attack opportunity. You have more neutral options than Marth, so you can stay very close to him (i.e. just outside of tipper range).

0:15 - Excellent choice for uair here.
0:16 - Short hop uairs, work on them. You can rarely combo off of fullhop uairs. Remember, Marth-Falcon is all about punishes, so the better your combos are, the better you'll be.
0:22 - Ok, so let me break down a simple truth in this matchup. Don't get hit (when defending). Let me show you how.

*1*
2*3

Ok, so 1 is the top platform, 2, and 3 are the sides, and 456 are the base of the stage. Star just represents a space in the stage where there is no platform or whatever.

Always make sure to be opposite of your opponent at all times. So if he's on 2, be on 3 or 4. If he's on 1, be on 4, 5, or 6.

Get it? Good.

0:23 - Knee is not good neutral, especially blatantly thrown around like that.
0:28 - I don't know if that was a tech skill error, but pivot nair would've been just fine in stopping his approach, and even getting a grab which leads to combos.
0:33 - Best options on ledge (in order of effectiveness) 1) Uair 2) nair 3) knee (if you have HUGE balls) 4) stomp (only use if your opponent is an idiot) 5) bair (you won't ever use this when trying to get back on stage
0:43 - Only raptor boost within range. Never ever use it as an approach option, only as a punish tool.
0:48 - Do you have 20xx? You should definitely work on some bread and butter combos like
Raptor boost > knee
Uair > knee
Soft knee > uair
Stomp > knee/anything
u/dthrow > knee
nair > uair > uair
bair > knee
nair > grab
dthrow > nair
uthrow > uair
0:57 - Once again, work on SHFFLS
1:00 - No, never neutral getup. Falcon has an amazing waveland onto ledge, and it's very customizable as to how far you want to go.
1:08 - Good pressure to get him away.
1:12 - lol moonwalk :)
1:26 - You do this a couple times, but when you panic, you roll. Don't do this. be sure to mix it up.
1:28 - Good punish sequence, you pressured nicely and everything.
1:47 - Exactly what the commentator said, you're not getting your setups. If you have 20xx hack pack, work on your setups, otherwise, just practice comboing on lvl 7 CPU's
1:59 - Good patience on the ledge
2:23 - No back throw pls
2:24/5 - Only raptor boost when outside of Marth's range.
2:50 - This is an ideal, bread and butter combo any Falcon can do. Always go for these simple combos at EVERY opportunity you get.
3:13 - Dash attack is Falcon's worst move. Opt for nair (spaced properly of course) or gentleman for shield pressure instead.
3:30 - You got lucky, use falcon kick very sparingly. That wasn't the right time to use it.

Game 2

Guide for not getting hit on pokestadium against Marth

1**2

If he's on 1, you better be on 3, 4, 5, or 2. If he's on 4, you better go to 6 or 1/2 depending on the situation. Remember, the rule of thumb is to be opposite or below your opponent at all times.

5:04 - Falcon's crouch cancel is not the best option. But you may be able to get a free grab.
5:05 - What you did out of the crouch cancel was a dtilt. Dtilt is only good against spacies in some odd situations. It has high lag, so don't use it after a CC, opt for grab/ dsmash at high percents.
5:13 - How to avoid SD'ing. Use the name entry glitch to play alone, then just fool around and try to spam tech skill as much as possible. Do this to the point where you can get anywhere by ANY means possible. If you have 20xx hack pack just do timed matches without any opponent and do the same.
5:25 - An example of where it is good to knee
5:26 - Taunt was absolutely necessary, go for these whenever you can.
5:44 - NO FLAOCN KIKZ
6:20 - Just as a rule of thumb, Falcon is a fun character and super aggressive, but there is a difference between aggressiveness and recklessness.
6:30 - Damn, you must have massive balls
6:44 - Good sequence
8:06 - This was entirely necessary, you were not a Falcon main until you did this exact thing.
Ok, so overall, you're a good player. You need to work on SHFFLS, movement, platform wavelands, and general comboing. You have the other fundamentals down nicely (spacing, baiting, patience (sometimes))

Dat beard is top tier tho.

Good luck man, hope this helped :)
Thanks dude, definitely helped to see all the break downs. I've been ironing out most of the stuff you pointed out in my spare time so It's good to know my analysis was similar.

Also thanks for the beard compliment hahahaha

kancon1

Smash Cadet
I am posting this on behalf of my friend. Him and I recorded a set between us and wanted to see what mistakes you guys would find in our gameplay as part of our practice today. We do not have a capture card yet, so we did the best we could to record without one. The audio is nothing but button presses xP. Please critique my friend's Falcon, we would be very grateful!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDLqQuijTaI

BauxFalcon

Smash Apprentice
I am posting this on behalf of my friend. Him and I recorded a set between us and wanted to see what mistakes you guys would find in our gameplay as part of our practice today. We do not have a capture card yet, so we did the best we could to record without one. The audio is nothing but button presses xP. Please critique my friend's Falcon, we would be very grateful!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDLqQuijTaI

OK
0:01 - It seems like he's DD'ing for the heck of it
0:04 - Falcon crosses up nair, not a good option.
0:05 - He should work on L-cancels and properly spacing nair rather than rolling after a missed/useless nair,
0:08 - It's already predictable by now that he rolls after every aerial.
0:16 - Definitely work on those SHFFLs
0:19 - No knees in neutral unless you have big balls. Also, the fullhop made me see it coming a mile away.
0:26 - Don't be afraid to shield, just know your options OOS
0:31 - SHFFLs, plz
0:34 - He needs tech chasing. Even if it's just rudimentary raptor boosts and regrabs, anything is good. Just learn to tech chase.
0:39 - Aaargh, the full hop, it's a weird option, only use it for mindgames. (e.g. jump to the opponent while they're in shield, then jump again right before you get to them and come down with a hard punish if they grab)
0:46 - No, no stomp.
0:55 - Your friend seriously needs to be on the ground much more. He should master options for dashing, crouching, running, wavedashing, Also, SHFFLs are key and he needs to be on the ground or as close to it as possible, because Falcon is a sitting duck in the air.
0:56-7 - Ftilt, bad. Dash attack, bad. Substitute ftilt for a jab if you know he won't tech, and punish the getup. Dash attack is just abysmal. I'd rather you have used knee (a horrible move in neutral) than the dash attack.

Let's have your friend and I review good moves in neutral in order of strength
1) PROPERLY SPACED nair
2) nair
3) instant uair
4) First hit of nair only
4) bair
5) delayed uair
6) Stomp OOS
7) knee
8) stomp
9) everything else
last place) dash attack

Fist hit of nair is an automatic followup into grab, which is Falcon's main combo setup. Nair, uair and stomp also lead nicely into grab, but stomp is to be used sparingly.

1:06 - Usmash is only good on platform stages.
1:06.5 - Raptor boost is only good for tech chasing and surprises. It IS the poorman's combo starter, but it's a horrid move.
1:23 - Good effort for shield pressure, but not enough mate.
2:00 - You don't pick off Fox's recovery like that, it's uair/bair/ knee if you have balls.

I'm sorry, I have to go right now, I will finish up later, but some closing comments are
1) Your friend needs to learn basic tech skill (SHFFLs, WD, short hopping.)
2) Work on movement
3) KNOW your options in neutral, OOS, and combo followups
4) Get 20xx hack pack and just train comboing.
5) Falcon is all about movement and control, so be sure to learn pivoting aerials, proper use of wavedashes, dash options, crouches, runs, moonwalk, dash dancing and mixups of DD'ing, etc.

BauxFalcon

Smash Apprentice
Thanks dude, definitely helped to see all the break downs. I've been ironing out most of the stuff you pointed out in my spare time so It's good to know my analysis was similar.

Also thanks for the beard compliment hahahaha
No problem, just PM me with any questions you may have :)

BauxFalcon

Smash Apprentice
OK
0:05 - He should work on L-cancels and properly spacing nair rather than rolling after a missed/useless nair,
0:19 - No knees in neutral unless you have big balls. Also, the fullhop made me see it coming a mile away.
0:34 - He needs tech chasing. Even if it's just rudimentary raptor boosts and regrabs, anything is good. Just learn to tech chase.
0:39 - Aaargh, the full hop, it's a weird option, only use it for mindgames. (e.g. jump to the opponent while they're in shield, then jump again right before you get to them and come down with a hard punish if they grab)
0:55 - Your friend seriously needs to be on the ground much more. He should master options for dashing, crouching, running, wavedashing, Also, SHFFLs are key and he needs to be on the ground or as close to it as possible, because Falcon is a sitting duck in the air.
0:56-7 - Ftilt, bad. Dash attack, bad. Substitute ftilt for a jab if you know he won't tech, and punish the getup. Dash attack is just abysmal. I'd rather you have used knee (a horrible move in neutral) than the dash attack.

1) PROPERLY SPACED nair
2) nair
3) instant uair
4) bair
5) delayed uair
6) Stomp OOS
7) knee
8) stomp
9) everything else
last place) dash attack

Fist hit of nair is an automatic followup into grab, which is Falcon's main combo setup. Nair, uair and stomp also lead nicely into grab, but stomp is to be used sparingly.

1:06.5 - Raptor boost is only good for tech chasing and surprises. It IS the poorman's combo starter, but it's a horrid move.
2:00 - You don't pick off Fox's recovery like that, it's uair/bair/ knee if you have balls.

I'm sorry, I have to go right now, I will finish up later, but some closing comments are
2) Work on movement
5) Falcon is all about movement and control, so be sure to learn pivoting aerials, proper use of wavedashes, dash options, crouches, runs, moonwalk, dash dancing and mixups of DD'ing, etc.

kancon1

Smash Cadet
OK

1) PROPERLY SPACED nair
2) nair
3) instant uair
4) bair
5) delayed uair
6) Stomp OOS
7) knee
8) stomp
9) everything else
last place) dash attack

2) Work on movement
Thanks! The breakdowns really helped, there is a lot to work on. He's been using knee and stomp with no real purpose and tonight was using a lot of B moves. I've been helping out with the basic stuff that's bad like using raptor boost too much, but this helps a lot! Thanks for the critique!

StarveCrate

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpPI31rIfXw&feature=youtu.be
Background: Hey guys I've been playing a solid 8 months now but have pretty few experiences with actual people. Aka i only train with cpus. Please help me and tell me what I'm doing wrong in this set, also options that I couldve covered and flubs that I made. Also I find it so damn hard to shield grab Fox sometimes, just putting that out there. Thank you Falcon Brothers that is all

Sauce Boss

Smash Journeyman
picked up falcon about a month ago after 4 years of off/on playing of both melee and fox. finally starting to devote conscious effort to a character and this is about all the footage i have so far. i've reviewed the video several times by my lonely, but i'm posting here in hopes that another dynamic will allow me to see more flaws/positives than i may have seen previously. peace and love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYMiUgKSuq8

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
picked up falcon about a month ago after 4 years of off/on playing of both melee and fox. finally starting to devote conscious effort to a character and this is about all the footage i have so far. i've reviewed the video several times by my lonely, but i'm posting here in hopes that another dynamic will allow me to see more flaws/positives than i may have seen previously. peace and love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYMiUgKSuq8
What up yungseth, marshall here. Gonna throw out some advice here even though you bodied me the last time we played in tournament.

You jeffed (double jump FF aerial) a lot, I think a lot of the time EMB just kinda waited for you to land with the aerial and punish accordingly. This was a little less prevalent as the set went on, but was glaringly obvious in the first game. I've played a bit against EMB and if I remember correctly he seemed to have a hard time with aggressive falcon. You seem to play pretty aggressive, but in a way that seems applicable fox...which doesn't really work for falcon. I think maybe you should look and see how falcon players apply his offense in neutral situations, and learn more of your defensive options as falcon. Because falcon isn't fox, having a good sense of falcon's defensive options is extremely important, and although its not really demanding in the marth match-up I believe, you can always benefit from it (especially when you have to play marth on Yoshi's. That **** is gross).

Hope that helps. Hopefully we get some more opportunities to play with each other this summer. feel free to hmu on facebook. And nice tag of course.

Bacon&Eggs

Smash Cadet
Hello friends, I am trying really hard to become the very best that no one ever was in my region! I have managed to rise pretty high in our PR but I am still a long ways away from the Numero Uno. I was wondering if any of the boys could critique this set I played against our second best player. Since he plays a variety of characters in the set it should reveal a lot about the way I play and adapt. I know that at some points I just straight up choked and couldn't close out a combo but I would super appreciate some finer pointers as well. Why did I lose? And what can I do to practice to win high-level sets like these? Thanks in advance if anyone watches :) https://youtu.be/r9WB6aq5vBQ

Last edited:

Mononoke

Smash Rookie
Hello guys ! MonoPenisGuy here !

So... I've got recently a lot of issues against Sheik. And it become really, really annoying.
I know I do some mistakes against this character like, approaching with the Nair, rushing like a tard on the edge etc...

But sometimes, I really got the feeling it covers all my option and I'm like " Well... what now ? WTF should I do ".
I think I should not play like I instinctly play my others match up and I dunno what to do about that.

Here some recent video ;

1st set ; https://youtu.be/ULWseeuUF_c?t=1m19s
2nd set ; https://youtu.be/ULWseeuUF_c?t=29m15s

Thanks.

Wind

Smash Cadet
Switching from Fox to Falcon. Still new to the character, but don't really have any particular matchup issues. I just need to learn some more. I already have some general observations but I'm interested in seeing other perspectives for things that I miss.

This video is me playing some friendlies with a falco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0tnXI8c_6c

Some general observations:
  • I'm getting reversal punished for dropping punishes/doing punishes that open myself up that are unsafe (still unfamiliarity with the character in some ways)
  • Getting stuffed with up-tilt because of fraudulent approaches
  • Not mixing up my ways of dealing with lasers
  • Burning double jump more often than I should
Any advice is appreciated!

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
Switching from Fox to Falcon. Still new to the character, but don't really have any particular matchup issues. I just need to learn some more. I already have some general observations but I'm interested in seeing other perspectives for things that I miss.

This video is me playing some friendlies with a falco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0tnXI8c_6c

Some general observations:
  • I'm getting reversal punished for dropping punishes/doing punishes that open myself up that are unsafe (still unfamiliarity with the character in some ways)
  • Getting stuffed with up-tilt because of fraudulent approaches
  • Not mixing up my ways of dealing with lasers
  • Burning double jump more often than I should
Any advice is appreciated!
Gotta learn the theorem of center stage. In anything involving a middle area, it is your goal to get there first and always have more stage space behind you. This is to keep your opponent from gaining control. You have to weave around or power shield falco's lasers. I noticed that you opted for up and down throw which is good, but you gotta mix it up. There were particular situations when the falco would shield right in front of you and you didn't grab, this is something that should have lead to a lot of damage and at high percents would kill. Your sometimes going over your opponent during aerials. There is something called drift or momentum in your jumps. You can control how far you go during your jumps. 20GX has a video on this.

Captain JOHN

Smash Cadet
NNID
DatCarl
Hey guys, would you mind critiquing my Douglas Jay Falcon? Especially in edgeguarding situations with Marth/Sheik. I believe I have the most trouble there. Also, what do I do when a sheik is just sitting st the ledge shino-stalling?

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8sTkXUGbzo :falconmelee: v. :falcomelee:
2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZK-p_mAKN8 Ejac v. 3 different chars
3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPjw6RuHqKk :falconmelee: v. :marthmelee:

Sorry for no matches v. sheik. Have some hardcore trouble with that MU though.
Constructive only pls i know i suck dont rub it in

Twinkles

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNtUDxXNj1w

critique my moves please, any tips on how to become faster

@ above
in general, rly solid, work on your ledge game, try more shield stops and dont jump forward so hard without having active hitboxes
great platform movement

do you have platform drop -> fast-fall down? also try practicing stuff like run off top platform -> fast-fall through side platform -> aerial or short-hop on side platform -> fast-fall through side platform -> aerial.

shield dropping is good stuff. also work on ground movement, crisp dash-dances, pivots, precise aerials. i think your speed right now is very good, would like to see how your precision matches up

MattyMutt

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I'd love it if I could have some general tips on where I should improve my play. I'm really interested in pushing myself to the next level and actually being a threat in tournament.

Some stuff I already am aware of:
-I kind've just hurl myself at my opponent sometimes, I get shield grabbed and intercepted with defensive aerials a lot
-My combo DI could use work, decent marths like Bench especially just juggle me all across the stage
-I constantly overshoot my nairs and don't get the punish, even when I connect the first hit
-probably need to mix up my ledge options some more. In the middle of an intense match I sometimes forget that I know how to hax/ledge dash, lmao
-tech skill flubs abound, lots of accidental dash attacks and missed jumps in particular

Here's a few videos from my most recent local (I'm Captain Fabulous of course):
Falcon v. Puff
Falcon ditto
Falcon v. Marth

There was definitely a lot of mom's spaghetti since I'm not used to being on stream, but overall I'd say I performed pretty well for my standards. I'm especially pleased with the gfycat moment in the first match of the falcon ditto :p

BauxFalcon

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I'd love it if I could have some general tips on where I should improve my play. I'm really interested in pushing myself to the next level and actually being a threat in tournament.

Some stuff I already am aware of:
-I kind've just hurl myself at my opponent sometimes, I get shield grabbed and intercepted with defensive aerials a lot
-My combo DI could use work, decent marths like Bench especially just juggle me all across the stage
-I constantly overshoot my nairs and don't get the punish, even when I connect the first hit
-probably need to mix up my ledge options some more. In the middle of an intense match I sometimes forget that I know how to hax/ledge dash, lmao
-tech skill flubs abound, lots of accidental dash attacks and missed jumps in particular

Here's a few videos from my most recent local (I'm Captain Fabulous of course):
Falcon v. Puff
Falcon ditto
Falcon v. Marth

There was definitely a lot of mom's spaghetti since I'm not used to being on stream, but overall I'd say I performed pretty well for my standards. I'm especially pleased with the gfycat moment in the first match of the falcon ditto :p
Vs Puff

1:31 - You're either shaken up, or you're a bit sloppy with movement and techskill. You also don't seem to be very confident in shield: so work on WDing OOS and OOS options.
1:32 - Also, work on spacing. Against Puff, you can't be the aggressor, you have to force options for them to approach you.
1:36 - That combo ended early because you need to work on jumping control, and so you uair'ed too far in. Go look up videos by Gahtzu on how to control jumping.
1:42 - In the Puff matchup, you have to bair and nair alot! Occasionally throw in the delayed uair. Stay away from stomp and knee unless as part of a combo.
1:56 - It seems as though you're suffering from "looking-at-myself-itis" which basically means you're not watching your opponent. You need to be patient, so don't, as you've said, throw yourself at your opponent.
2:29 - Lol
3:33 - Oh come on, you walked into that.
Just an aside, work on your JC grabs.
4:13 - Sick tech bro
6:22 - You should've done a reverse up b, it would've dodged Puff's fsmash and you'd have sweetspotted ledge.

Vs Falcon

0:45 - That shield pressure is freaking ridiculous
No real comments here, your opponent was pretty bad...

Vs Marth

0:48 - Never be above Marth. Only use a platform to get by Marth.
1:00 - Low recovery would've been better. Or just going straight up, or even an airdodge.
1:20 - You have to keep a butter distance away. A good distance to stay away when DDing is the distance of Marth's fair
1:29 - You're not very confident in shield. The best Falcons are patient and stay in shield until the best opportunity.
2:22 - You seem to be anticipating where Marth will fly when you hit him. When comboing, it might seem counter intuitive to wait, but if you wait between each hit for a small second before following up, it helps SOOOO much when comboing.
3:20 - I know it sounds stupid, but sometimes it's good to get comboed a bit and save your second jump (while DIing ofc) and waiting for the proper opportunity to jump at the right time.
3:25 - Definitely work on spacing and whatnot.

Work on:
Jumping control
Spacing
Patience
DDing ranges

You did well on:
DD at the right times
Working well in neutral. You did very well in neutral, but your lack of tech skill prevented you from being able to work with your abilities in neutral.
Comboing and some hype stuff.

Hope this helps.

MattyMutt

Smash Cadet
-snip-
Hope this helps.
Damn, thanks a ton for the thoughtful reply. You've given me a lot to think about over thanksgiving break. Gonna start grinding tech skill daily too, I've always felt like my poor execution has been holding me back. I'm also very aggressive and impatient, and you're not the first person to say so. Thanks again.

BauxFalcon

Smash Apprentice
Damn, thanks a ton for the thoughtful reply. You've given me a lot to think about over thanksgiving break. Gonna start grinding tech skill daily too, I've always felt like my poor execution has been holding me back. I'm also very aggressive and impatient, and you're not the first person to say so. Thanks again.
No problem

BauxFalcon

Smash Apprentice
so i got a match recorded at my most recent tourney vs a really solid sheik player. like lots of falcons, i struggle with this mu pretty hard. looking for general MU advice and critique of neutral mostly (thats where i feel like i fall short, i'm too aggro).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45xJ34qsBXE

0:10 - Good Nair pressure
0:11.5 - You gave up stage control. You shouldn't have ran back, instead of being TOO aggro, you're not being aggro enough!
0:13 - You only got hit because you gave up control
0:14 - That combo could've extended to regrab/instant uair
0:17 - I'm fairly certain that could've led to a tech chase, and you could've stomped into a combo
0:51 - By this point I've noticed you going in for the raw knee multiple times.
1:17 - You should learn to platform drop into sweetspot knee, you could've landed it because it saves a few frames.
2:11 - Work on spacing hits (especially nair) on shield. If you space properly, you can even hit Marth's shield and be safe from a grab

5:35 - Why would you pick FD?
5:46 - If you do any aerial move in this game, you can drift a bit. In the Sheik matchup, its a good idea to drift away from Shiek.
By 7 - I've noticed that you aren't a very tech chase heavy Falcon. I thought you weren't going for it on BF because of the platforms, but on FD there's no excuse not to. Learn tech chasing, it's crucial. You're also not capitalizing off of grabs, and going for them as much as you should. Even if you don't tech chase, grab combos are essential in this MU. You seem to know uthrow>knee. Wizzrobe has some tutorials for this MU and some combos you should go for.

You just have to control your nairs. Don't do them from halfway across the stage. Do them close to Sheik, drift back and occasionally mix up the drift. Don't run away when you have stage control. Dash dance appropriately, and pivot nair more. The key to this matchup is to not approach. You need to pressure Sheik into making mistakes, not the other way around.

I used to be a Sheik main. Her main weakness is being comboed and dealing with (spaced) nair pressure.

Last edited:

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
Can I still ask questions even though I don't got a video yet? If nah, then i'll just go back to watching Hax, Darkrain, Gahtzu and s2j videos.

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
I'll respond to them, I've been learning alot.
So I recently switched to Falcon, and I really don't know much about the character, maybe you can link me a few things. I have some/most of the tech down like Gentleman's, MoonWalks, Hax Dash, Inv Ledgedash, Pivots, Pivot aerials, Ledgehop aerial regrabs (bair, upair and knee), late upairs, Dash Wavedashes, platform movement. Is there anymore I could or need to learn? What stages do I wanna strike too as a falcon in specific matchups?

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
So I recently switched to Falcon, and I really don't know much about the character, maybe you can link me a few things. I have some/most of the tech down like Gentleman's, MoonWalks, Hax Dash, Inv Ledgedash, Pivots, Pivot aerials, Ledgehop aerial regrabs (bair, upair and knee), late upairs, Dash Wavedashes, platform movement. Is there anymore I could or need to learn? What stages do I wanna strike too as a falcon in specific matchups?
Learn how to move with Falcon in general. This means you really got to get in tune with how quickly he is able to move as compared to Ganon. You need to learn how to properly microscpace with Falcon with his incredible speed so that you can make quick adjustments in neutral in order to put pressure on your opponent. You really want to get good with doing pivot aerials with Falcon because of how quickly he can do them and how useful they are for zoning in neutral. Dash dancing is extremely important to how Falcon works and you don't want to do it too predictably nor too excessively. You need to learn how to move with Falcon in general without having to wavedash so much. You need to learn how to foxtrot all of the time and how to do it consistently. You should practice only being in your dash animation and never in the run animation, in order to keep your movement fresh and flexible. You are also going to want to work on traversing platforms and fast falling from them as Falcon is probably the 2nd or 3rd best character for getting around on platforms.

Movement is just one key aspect, but another certainly is learning how to combo with Falcon. You ca practice this with a cpu or against a friend but it's important that you look at videos of other top Falcons to see how they punish and combo people. A Falcon can only do so much if he does not have a strong punish game. Learning the percents that things work off of certain grabs helps a lot as well.

Essentially you just want to keep practicing the basics over and over and over again until you basically master them. Even lately pivot aerials are becoming more natural to me because of how often I practice them.

Top Bottom