• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

otg

Smash Master
really? cmon, i bet you must play donkey kong in brawl, because i heard that bum even plays brawl and he loves it playing dk, bum loves brawl
Oh of course, because BUM loves Brawl, all melee DK players must love Brawl. Your logical is great.

Yo Mexican, I have a good question. I'm starting to use the great monkey against FFer's for friendlies, but I'm having a really hard time approaching them. The second I get a grab in it's a huge combo, but actually getting hits/grabs in is another story. TBH, Fox is harder for me than Falco, due to how easily gimped his recovery is, plus one shine from Fox could easily lead to a 0-80+ combo and that hurts my monkey Pride.

Any advice in approaching Spacies without getting murdered?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
really? cmon, i bet you must play donkey kong in brawl, because i heard that bum even plays brawl and he loves it playing dk, bum loves brawl
Going of what otg, yeah, I'm pretty sure Bum is one of the few melee DK players who loves DK still.

He plays completely different then what he did before. I mean, everything that made DK cool in Melee is not present in brawl except maybe Giant Punch (however, you can't even combo into that anymore). DK is basically a lower tiered version of CFalcon when you come to think of it. Speaking of CFalcon, think of how melee CFalcon players feel now about the character. Sure, DK wasn't nerfed, but both characters have lost complete coolness.

DK is now much slower and simplistic.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Nobody cares about brawl. Why are you talking about it?

On topic:
I just thought of something awesome today with DK: Bair->reverse dtilt. It's awesome cuz it combos at low percent and the dtilt can sometimes lead to grab.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Considering you didn't know what jab resetting is... I'm gonna go ahead and call shenanigans on you.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Sorry, Elven. It's about 5 AM here in Florida and that was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. I had to make my humor infectious, y'know?

Smooth Criminal

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Can DK ever reliable get a grab off of his Jab? Does DK even HAVE a jab game? = (
Not really. It doesn't have that much range, there's a lot of lag afterwards and instead of hitting them up a little like sheik/fox/many others, it just hits them back a little and there's too much lag to run up and grab afterwards generally....if you catch them off guard you MIGHT be able to get one, but i wouldn't rely on it...

I'm not bum. I don't play brawl at all. I haven't played it since it first came out. It's not smash to me, to me its a completely different game, and sorry to say, but I like smash.

Oh of course, because BUM loves Brawl, all melee DK players must love Brawl. Your logical is great.

Yo Mexican, I have a good question. I'm starting to use the great monkey against FFer's for friendlies, but I'm having a really hard time approaching them. The second I get a grab in it's a huge combo, but actually getting hits/grabs in is another story. TBH, Fox is harder for me than Falco, due to how easily gimped his recovery is, plus one shine from Fox could easily lead to a 0-80+ combo and that hurts my monkey Pride.

Any advice in approaching Spacies without getting murdered?
You shouldn't bet taking 80 damage in combos from a shine...if he gets you into a wall, that's understandable, but otherwise there should be no way you're taking that much damage in combos. If you get hit with a shine, you can do what i do sometimes, crouch cancel and down smash. It'll hit them if they aren't fast enough or if they try to do too much. Approaching high level falcos is much tougher than approaching high level foxes. Try b air into grabs. Dash dancing to get your grabs. Let them try their little pillar on you, and the second that they jump out of their shine, jump with them and try to land a quick u air. If you do, you'll get a free grab. What works well for me is d tilting them twice, and after they get hit by the second one, they almost always jump. So d tilt twice and then jump forward with a short hopped u air.

otg, you are a total scrub! beating fox/falco in melee is easy with donkey kong
I hope this post was a joke, cuz otherwise you're making yourself sound like a noob

Dude.... honestly just no. Go back to the Brawl forums plz.
Second

Nobody cares about brawl. Why are you talking about it?

On topic:
I just thought of something awesome today with DK: Bair->reverse dtilt. It's awesome cuz it combos at low percent and the dtilt can sometimes lead to grab.
Whatever works for you. If it works, good, practice it, perfect it, and then go **** some fox with it. lol. Me personally, i just like to either turn around for the grab if i hit, or do the b air, and dash away and back and grab. Works well for me

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
How do you recovery against... say Falcon or Ganondorf? They can go pretty far out for the spike, and DK has very little vertical recovery, so even if I do Meteor Cancel, I usually die.

I've been thinking about it, and I can't really figure it out. I've tried nairing during the recovery, but then I lose too much height and die, and hitting people out of the spike with the Spinning Kong seems... I dunno, it just seems like there should be a better way.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
How do you recovery against... say Falcon or Ganondorf? They can go pretty far out for the spike, and DK has very little vertical recovery, so even if I do Meteor Cancel, I usually die.

I've been thinking about it, and I can't really figure it out. I've tried nairing during the recovery, but then I lose too much height and die, and hitting people out of the spike with the Spinning Kong seems... I dunno, it just seems like there should be a better way.
I dunno...i don't have any problems with that generally...the good thing about dk's recovery is that you can float out there for a second or two before you actually come in for the ledge. You just have to stay out of range until the very last second...

mexican, you are a noob at melee. bum is definitely better than you and you know you look up to him.
...You don't know me, and if you say bum is better than me, thats fine. I'm not even going to argue it. He has had better tournament results than i have, so i can't argue against it. Saying that i look up to him is ridiculous though. I've never learned anything new from him so how could you say that i look up to him? Me and him have had our differences, they're settled now, but to say that i look up to him is ridiculous. Get out of my thread

Cinder

Smash Master
it's not yur thread, you think just because you started it, everyone has to worship you? no. get a life buddy, you've lost all respect from me.
MEthinks alcohol is involved...I find this amusing...

Sorry, I'm not a DK user, so I don't really have anything to ask...but I will say that from what little I've seen, you seem to be giving good advice, Mexican =D

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
it's not yur thread, you think just because you started it, everyone has to worship you? no. get a life buddy, you've lost all respect from me.
Oh no...lost all respect from someone who i don't know who just shows up and tries to insult me? What am I going to do now? This isn't the "worship MEXICAN" thread, its the "ask MEXICAN" thread. I started it to try and help out the other DK players out there with new ideas and DK basics. You came in here just to talk about a completely different game and try to compare me to bum. I don't care what you think about me. I don't care how i compare to bum or pkmvodka, or any other good DK out there. I'm just here to help out the other DK players. And i'm pretty sure that its a general consensus that you're not wanted here. Just take a hint and leave. I don't care if you're captain jack himself in disguise, you're only trying to start problems in this thread and that's not what it's intended for. I'm done talking to you. Go to the brawl DK threads and complain

otg

Smash Master
Wow Mexican, good job pwning the Brawl n00bs lol. I was exaggerating a bit when I said I get consistently comboed from 0-80% but, the second Spacies get a hit in, you will get comboed to a decent percent if they know what they are doing. Plus, it's a lot easier for them to maintain momentum against you, so a lot of time I just find myself looking for opportunities to jump in, and if I **** up or misread it than the pain continues.

Of course this applies to all characters in smash, but I'm still new to DKs so I don't know all his options. Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely try to apply it.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Wow Mexican, good job pwning the Brawl n00bs lol. I was exaggerating a bit when I said I get consistently comboed from 0-80% but, the second Spacies get a hit in, you will get comboed to a decent percent if they know what they are doing. Plus, it's a lot easier for them to maintain momentum against you, so a lot of time I just find myself looking for opportunities to jump in, and if I **** up or misread it than the pain continues.

Of course this applies to all characters in smash, but I'm still new to DKs so I don't know all his options. Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely try to apply it.
Yeah...thats one of the things that sucks about DK...when you make a mistake, you get severely punished, but a lot of times, when fox/falco/sheik/marth/etc., DK isn't fast enough to do anything about it...especially to his front. If they're behind you, you can usually punish them with a b air, but in front of you, there's not a whole lot you can do. F air is way too slow, n air doesn't have much range, u air has a very small hitbox, and you'd have to jump first to do a giant punch in time, but most of the time, it just goes right over their heads. This is one of those instances though that regular shielding is the better choice. I'm usually always light shielding, and that makes it harder to shield dash in. Added hit stun plus DK's relatively slower wavedash makes it difficult to have a good shield dash game

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
@ Mexican:

Is Up Bing out of shield a good idea to negate a Space Animal's approach? Providing they're not shining or firing lasers...?

Smooth Criminal

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
@ Mexican:

Is Up Bing out of shield a good idea to negate a Space Animal's approach? Providing they're not shining or firing lasers...?

Smooth Criminal
I wouldn't say to stop their approach, no. If they're just pillaring your shield the whole time and you think your up b will hit, then yes. Try to avoid up b'ing randomly because you lose your charge if you get hit out of it. If they're above you or right where the elbow comes up, use your up b if you have the chance. If they aren't right above you, but you have a chance to move and they're right next to you/touching you, do a quick jump and then up b right when you leave the ground. This doesn't have as strong of a knockback as the up b on the floor, but it'll get them away, while adding on a little bit of damage and you can move much farther away with your up b in the air if you miss or they recover instantly so you don't have to worry about a counter attack or losing your giant punch charge.

The best way to mess up a fox's approach is dash dancing and b airs imo. They will eventually start doing full jumped sex kicks. That'll beat your b air because of the positioning if you're short hopping. This isn't a bad thing though. If you get them to start full jumping sex kicks and other moves, you have a better chance of jumping with them and getting an u air off that'll land you a free grab and a chance to rack up damage or get your KO.

There's not much you can do to stop a good falco player that realizes that he has a gun in his hand. My advice is to just hit him with anything you can just to get him on the ground. If you get him on the ground, you have a chance for a tech chased grab. Whenever i play falco, i'm generally just trying to make him hit the floor...

Haha. There is an ignore feature somewhere in Smashboards for a reason.
There is?

Top Bottom