• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I don't particularly like that advice....First of all, you don't have to shffl your u airs. They auto-cancel on their own so there's no need to l cancel. Second of all, cg'ing is probably not the best method for adding damage/comboing. Me personally, i sh u throw, u air, regrab. Then i sh u throw, u air, u air, regrab. Then sh u throw u air, u air, and then giant punch or f air or whatever else i feel like doing...Thats imo the best way to do it. When you cg the whole time, you only add about 7 damage for each u throw and that takes a long time, and they just have that many more opportunities to escape...
Is that sh uair-> sh fair or donkey punch or is it fulljump uair->double jump fair/donkey punch?
I usually go for the cargo uthrow then spam sh uairs (regrabbing when necessary) until they go to high for the sh uairs, thats when I fulljump a uair then I try to double jump to fair or donkey punch, but they can usually jump away before the attack comes out.
Maybe the percentages are wrong? or I'm just to slow. lol
Falco is by far DK's worst fight. Falco is even more difficult to grab since you can't even b air to grab like you can against fox. Just landing a b air on a falco is difficult because his lasers always turn you around to face him. I lose to most of the really good falcos i play that are smart enough not to get grabbed
Wait, you mean you can do a bair on people (on everyone but falco), then run up an jc grab them? Is the stun time long enough for you te be able to run up and grab them after? I always go for the nair->grab (which isnt even gauranteed). If this works it's obviously much better

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Is that sh uair-> sh fair or donkey punch or is it fulljump uair->double jump fair/donkey punch?
I usually go for the cargo uthrow then spam sh uairs (regrabbing when necessary) until they go to high for the sh uairs, thats when I fulljump a uair then I try to double jump to fair or donkey punch, but they can usually jump away before the attack comes out.
Maybe the percentages are wrong? or I'm just to slow. lol

Depends on who you're trying to kill. You can usually just do the sh u throw and then use the giant punch or f air. The other method works too for the giant punch, f air is too slow though.

Wait, you mean you can do a bair on people (on everyone but falco), then run up an jc grab them? Is the stun time long enough for you te be able to run up and grab them after? I always go for the nair->grab (which isnt even gauranteed). If this works it's obviously much better
Depends on their percentage. A lot of characters will be lifted off of the ground for just a sec and in that sec you gotta turn around and get that grab. I do it often even if i don't get the guaranteed grab because most people won't expect it. If they catch on, then i b air, run away and run back and grab. Just do a little dash dance that will throw off their timing.

***EDIT- BTW, lol, i know that shffl'ing the u air or not doesn't make a difference, its just that that particular fact is like...one of the first things i ever learned about DK and its just something that anyone using DK i would think would know. lol.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Depends on their percentage. A lot of characters will be lifted off of the ground for just a sec and in that sec you gotta turn around and get that grab. I do it often even if i don't get the guaranteed grab because most people won't expect it. If they catch on, then i b air, run away and run back and grab. Just do a little dash dance that will throw off their timing.
I see. It's like fox's dair->grab, or jab->grab combo at really low percents (in the way that they aren't gauranteed, but almost always work anyways)

And btw, about messing around and experimenting with DK, I just invented i super awesome rocking way of taunting. It's called burp canceling.
You when you dair with DK, he burps. If you do a Dair but land during the first auto cancel frames of the attack (which is long before the hitbox comes out or anything. Within 3 frames after the attack has started, specifially.) he'll burp but the attack won't come out or anything.

So if you jump and press down A within 3 frames before landing DK will just burp. Which is awesome. Best taunting evar.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
After thorough inspection and experimentation, i've decided that DK's dash attack is a really really good move. It works well against fox/falco. And here's why...

Ok..lets face it, when you're facing fox/falco, you're going to be eating attacks and damage, basically just looking for that opening to get the grab. Lets think of a scenario. Lets say you're playing fox on final d. He's a camper. He camps on the corner and spams lasers, and if you come close, he n airs you. If you think about it, its really hard to beat. You could try approaching with the b air, but he could dj or just jump higher than your b air, thus beating it. You could dash dance and hope to grab him, but most foxes do a n air with the intention of landing behind you, chances are, he'll either tag you, or make you go into your shield or just never give you the opportunity to take advantage of the situation. If he sh's his n air, you'll never get your up b off. Wavedashing back is a decent approach, but you have to have perfect spacing, and the fox has to commit to the n air beforehand, otherwise he could just dj away.

This is where the dash attack comes in. Run up to him, let him go for his n air, use a dash dance or whatever to get decent spacing, and DK's dash attack has surprisingly good priority. You'll exchange with the n air. This is perfect. DK's dash attacks main weakness is the amount of lag it has. When you exchange hits with the fox, if you hold down in the middle of your dash attack, you should get the crouch cancel, while the fox gets knocked up into the air. Since you got hit too, your lag is gone while the fox is hit into the air leaving him open for attack or a grab. Even if you don't manage to grab or combo him afterwards, he's going to be in a bad spot and you should get excellent positioning to get a grab or a good attack on him.

The dash attack is almost like a sex kick counter. His dash attack hits pretty high and it stays out there for a sec, so its hard to miss. It'll hit someone who tries to spot dodge or sex kick and it'll exchange with most moves so you'll be fine if someone else throws something out like a smash attack. It'll clank with most smash attacks. It clanks with fox's u smash, which is my main concern.

What i usually do is do the dash attack, and then attack them according to how they fall. If they float right above you, your up b will be just fast enough to hit them, with the sweet spot (i've gotten a lot of kills this way). If they float somewhat in front of you, you won't be able to grab because they'll be able to jump away before you get within range. HOWEVER, when they float in front of you, give them a quick jab and then run up for the grab. Most foxes will try to jump asap, your jab should be timed perfectly that it'll hit them just as they try to jump, taking away their second jump. At that point, the only move that might save them is the dreaded shine, but most foxes don't have that good of reflexes.

I consider this to be a very advanced technique because unless you really know when to use this, you're going to get your *** kicked and punished every time you use this. You really have to have a good feel for DK to use this...

Ok...Any questions or comments?

El HP

Smash Ace
When i'm facing a camping fox I usually wavedash backwards to approach so I can properly space b-airs or up-b to counter his aerials or grabs, the dash attack seems to risky to use but I guess it can work well as a surprise attack.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
When i'm facing a camping fox I usually wavedash backwards to approach so I can properly space b-airs or up-b to counter his aerials or grabs, the dash attack seems to risky to use but I guess it can work well as a surprise attack.
Its pretty situational and you just have to know when to use it. And the other techniques will work occasionally, but higher level foxes expect you to do thinks like you described and won't always work. I honestly do it more when i'm close by them and i expect them to sh sex kick. I'm going to a tournament soon and i'll try to get some vids recorded. You'll see what i mean..

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
If you have more options up your sleeve it will be much harder for your opponent to predict you.... The dash attack thing seems brilliant, imo. I wouldve never thought of that. there is so much to this game...

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying go spamming the dash attack in fox's/falco's face. You'll get ***** if you do that. I'm just saying that it is a good approach if you expect a n air from either of them. I usually do it when i'm relatively close to them. Fox/falco is going to jump if and when they're close to you almost always. If they keep full jumping, just jump with them and u air and fast fall and catch them as they fall or continue on with the combo (depending on their damage). If they keep short hopping, dash attack. Its generally best when you're trying to tech chase them and they tech chase out of your range. Most foxes will short hop n air towards you when they see you getting close......

...btw, i'm really hungry right now. Who wants to buy me a burger? lol

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
i have a question....

how do you beat KFC's fox??? no really lol i wanna know..

cus sometimes ill be at the top of my game with my tech skill on point and ill be trying as hard as i can and ill still get 2 stocked... so what is my weakness lol

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
i have a question....

how do you beat KFC's fox??? no really lol i wanna know..

cus sometimes ill be at the top of my game with my tech skill on point and ill be trying as hard as i can and ill still get 2 stocked... so what is my weakness lol
Lol. Well my question to you is, how do you beat MEXICAN? I beat SW but yet you **** my dk half the time, and you're not even that well known. lol

El HP

Smash Ace
Its pretty situational and you just have to know when to use it. And the other techniques will work occasionally, but higher level foxes expect you to do thinks like you described and won't always work. I honestly do it more when i'm close by them and i expect them to sh sex kick. I'm going to a tournament soon and i'll try to get some vids recorded. You'll see what i mean..
Looking forward to those vids it's been a while since we got some quality DK footage.

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
I have trouble wavedashing with DK. I'm no scrub, i'm really good with some chars and I can wavedash well with most of them except for DK & Link (falco kinda). I think it might just be the timing of it. Can someone try to explain the timing or upload a video showing their controller and the timing for it?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
DK leaves the ground on frame five, which means the timing of his wavedash is the same as...

Falco, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Peach, Roy and Yoshi.

It's a frame faster than Ganondorf, Link and Zelda's wavedash.

And a frame slower than Falcon, Doc, Luigi, Mario, Marth, Game and Watch, Ness and Young Link's wavedash.

Hope that helps.

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
Vs. the Falcon, I noticed a couple things:

You were msising some JC grabs. Make it a habit.

Instead of Cargo-Up throw - Up Air at higher percents, you can Bthrow or Cargo Fthrow to get them off the stage and then just edgeguard with Bair, Nair, or your Up-B, and you'll be able to kill him a lot quicker. Falcon's recovery is horrible. abuse it.

And I didn't watch the whole Falco video but you want to have a Giant Punch charged up almost all the time, so you can take a stock off at times like 4:43.

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
That's kind of a vague question...when you are juggling fastfallers, obviously Uair would be the best to SHFFL. In general though probably Bair.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
am I doing anything wrong or should I do something different?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy0UTFs-EC4
Ok, first thing that i can think of, when falcon is at high damage, and you full jump u throw him and go for the f air, expect for them to try and di behind you. If/when this happens, when you do your up throw, jump back when you do your f air. It'll hit them with full force in the oppositte direction, the direction they di'd to. Bad di + high damage + dk's f air = death.

Another thing, and this is a controversial tip, some agree, some don't, this is just what gives me more success. When you grab fast fallers, sh the u throw when they're at low damages. If you just u throw, it's harder to land the u air to regrab. The sh u throw u air gives you a fraction of a second more...

Biggest thing that i see that you need improvement on, is that you need to use the up b much more. You had a ton of opportunities to use it against falco that you didn't take advantage of..Up b out of shield is your best friend against falco. In my opinion, it's pretty much the only realistic weapon you have against him. If you manage to up b him with a sweet spot, it'll get him off of you and put him on the defensive, even if just for a moment. The key to beating falco is to do anything to get him on the floor, and try a tech chase for a grab. If you manage to grab him, you can do some serious damage.

Here's another piece of advice that i've never given before that is extremely useful, if ever you're tech chasing a fast faller, a lot of times it can be difficult to time because they get up and shine extremely quickly. If you're getting hit by that shine, use a dash attack. It'll linger in that spot of the duration of them actually getting up, and it'll hit at the last second and they can't shine beforehand. ITS ESPECIALLY USEFUL WHILE YOU'RE UNDER A PLATFORM. If you're under a platform and hit them with a dash attack, they land on the platform above you. In the meantime, your lag is over and done with and you basically get a free u air that starts your u air combo.

One last thing, get used to playing people that are harder to grab...this guy looked extremely easy to land grabs on. I know it was just a friendly, but i try to make it a habit to play people who have a ton of tech skill and that are really tough to grab...it forces you to try new things and develop more mindgames.

Vs. the Falcon, I noticed a couple things:

You were msising some JC grabs. Make it a habit.

Instead of Cargo-Up throw - Up Air at higher percents, you can Bthrow or Cargo Fthrow to get them off the stage and then just edgeguard with Bair, Nair, or your Up-B, and you'll be able to kill him a lot quicker. Falcon's recovery is horrible. abuse it.

And I didn't watch the whole Falco video but you want to have a Giant Punch charged up almost all the time, so you can take a stock off at times like 4:43.
I wouldn't b throw unless you're near the edge and your back is facing off the stage. I wouldn't recommend using the cargo f throw off the stage generally either...Instead, just sh u throw f air. It's guaranteed, adds more damage, and gets them farther off of the stage and sets up for an easy edgeguard if it doesn't kill them entirely.

And not to pick on you, but i wouldn't worry too much about the giant punch against falco either...If he's dead and respawning, yeah, charge it, but otherwise it's almost pointless. They'll hit you with a laser every time you try and you'll be reset back to 1 swing. It's also pointless because you SHOULD be using your up b against them a lot, and you'll miss sometimes, or they'll hit you in the lag of it, thus eliminating your charge also.

*waits*
10chars
Sorry, no matches got recorded...maybe i'll record some friendlies against KFC and you can see the techniques i'm talking about in actual play...

What's the best move for DK to shuffle?
B air...and it depends on who you're playing, but generally the b air because it has high priority and range

That's kind of a vague question...when you are juggling fastfallers, obviously Uair would be the best to SHFFL. In general though probably Bair.
You don't shffl the u air against fast fallers, it auto cancels. If you l cancel, you're just adding more difficulty to what you're doing. Break the habit of trying to l cancel it, you don't need to...

Bair? Doesn't it have a lot of knockback?
Not exactly...its not THAT strong...its not weak either though...It CAN ko, but that's at pretty high damage...they'd have to be at pretty high damage.. You CAN however, do a b air into a b air if you know how to do it right. Kinda hard to describe how you do it though, and it's kinda situational. They DO have to be in the air originally to do it though..

***edit-haha, this is my 666th post. This post is evil..

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
My bad Mexican. I meant Bthrow when your back is near the edge of course. I play DK sometimes, so I was just trying to help a bit. Oh well I guess i'll leave the advice-giving to you

drug_duck

Smash Rookie
hey mexican

have you ever played against a good yoshi?
maybe its just me but to me this sh:tty green dinosaur is more annoying than any falco ive ever played... i recently had matches against a good and techskilled yoshi here in germany and he posed massive problems to my monkey...
first of all, he spams eggs. sounds crappy but he managed out that theyre actually very good against donkey because of his big fat hurtbox. how'd you get around these eggs? bair spam? tilt the eggs away? triangle jump to him? LOL
second, from time to time he gimps me with a dair... maybe you know what i could do in case im offstage and predict a dair gimp...
third, his recovery. sounds funny but oftentimes superarmor on his 2nd jump makes it impossible to gimp him. what do i do best against his recovery?

these fückin annoying sounds arent a problem to me anymore cause i use my iPod while smashing LOL

darkatma

Smash Hero
DK leaves the ground on frame five, which means the timing of his wavedash is the same as...

Falco, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Peach, Roy and Yoshi.

It's a frame faster than Ganondorf, Link and Zelda's wavedash.

And a frame slower than Falcon, Doc, Luigi, Mario, Marth, Game and Watch, Ness and Young Link's wavedash.

Hope that helps.
wrong
falco is 6

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Woohoo! today's my 21st birthday...i'll answer your questions later. I have to go to work right now. lol. And yes i work on my birthday, i work a full time job, a part time job, and i'm a full time student, and my car was just stolen a few weeks ago and found stripped a few days ago....It sucks being Mexican sometimes. lol

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
My bad, DK leaves the ground on frame six. The rest of the list is relative and still holds true.

Neverender

Smash Journeyman
Woohoo! today's my 21st birthday...i'll answer your questions later. I have to go to work right now. lol. And yes i work on my birthday, i work a full time job, a part time job, and i'm a full time student, and my car was just stolen a few weeks ago and found stripped a few days ago....It sucks being Mexican sometimes. lol
Lol dang. That blows HxC.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
hey mexican

have you ever played against a good yoshi?
maybe its just me but to me this sh:tty green dinosaur is more annoying than any falco ive ever played... i recently had matches against a good and techskilled yoshi here in germany and he posed massive problems to my monkey...
first of all, he spams eggs. sounds crappy but he managed out that theyre actually very good against donkey because of his big fat hurtbox. how'd you get around these eggs? bair spam? tilt the eggs away? triangle jump to him? LOL
second, from time to time he gimps me with a dair... maybe you know what i could do in case im offstage and predict a dair gimp...
third, his recovery. sounds funny but oftentimes superarmor on his 2nd jump makes it impossible to gimp him. what do i do best against his recovery?

these fückin annoying sounds arent a problem to me anymore cause i use my iPod while smashing LOL
Yes, i've played the only yoshi in California worth mentioning as far as i'm concerned. He goes by Park. Yoshi is really difficult to play because he's faster than you, and you can't combo him. Against yoshi, it's all about spacing and spamming b airs, and your giant punch. The giant punch is the most important weapon you have against yoshi. You need to learn to get around the eggs, and if he's spamming them, then that's your opportunity to charge your giant punch. Just keep moving to avoid the eggs, they're not that difficult to avoid. They aren't that fast. It's not likely that they'll spam eggs right in front of you, so i'd say you could just roll to avoid them, or shield, or do whatever. The eggs shouldn't be a problem for you. If you're getting gimped by the d air, then you need to mindgame your recovery better and be less predictable. I don't think i've ever been killed by yoshi's d air. And yoshi is really difficult to gimp unless he does something stupid. If he's over 100 damage, you can hit him out of his second jump with a strong move, but even then it's difficult to gimp him because he won't give you that opportunity if he's really good.

hey mexican
how do i beat your DK with sheik? :p
Spam needles. Grab. Repeat

Top Bottom