• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't have much to discuss. This character lacks depth. I believe I'll be doing well with him at APEX, however.

Green Ranger

Smash Journeyman
We can discuss preferred stages I guess. How do you strike against top tiers?

Here is my preferred stage list
Fox
1. FD
2. BF/FoD
3. BF/FoD
4. DL
5. YS

I'm starting to think that FoD might be a better stage vs fox than DL and maybe BF. Although FoD is small as ****, I'm a bigger fan of the platform formation than DL. The side platforms on FoD can lower to create a pseudo FD. Also, DL's side platforms are at the perfect height to **** with my cargo uthrow uair combos on fox. I'm really not a fan of them. The ceiling on FoD is higher than on BF and the side blast zones are closer. Both of these are more beneficial to DK than to fox, since Fox kills up and DK kills to the side vs fox.

I think there is some potential for creative combos on FoD. It might be a good stage for us. Also, where do you guys put PS in your ranking? I think its the 2nd best stage for DK. I'm a big fan of that neutral platform formation. and some of those other formations (grass and mountain) allow for some pseudo FD shenanigans.

Falco
1. FD
2. BF/DL?
3. BF/DL?
4. FoD
5. YS

I'd like to hear what you guys like more vs falco, BF or DL? I like the platform formation on BF a lot more than DL, but the blastzones and stage size of DL are much better for DK.

Also, my two favorite stages to play against falco are PS and FD. I'm actually not sure which one is better for us. Falco can camp harder on FD and his combos are easier to pull off there (as are ours :dkmelee: ). I'm just a really big fan of PS I guess.

Jigglypuff
1. ?
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5. DL? YS?

I have very little experience in this matchup. I don't know if platforms are beneficial or not, or how well she can pressure DK on YS. I'd like to hear what your opinion is.

For counterpick, I go PS.

Sheik
1. BF
2. FD/DL/FoD
3. FD/DL/FoD
4. FD/DL/FoD
5. YS

I'm pretty lost at what to pick against sheik game 1. She can be a major ***** on FD and I'm not sure how well DK does on DL vs her. Somebody enlighten me.

(I go PS vs her for counterpick though)

Marth
1. DL/BF/FD
2. DL/BF/FD
3. DL/BF/FD
4. FoD
5. YS

I don't feel like stages are that much of a factor in this matchup. Just ban yoshi's and you are good to go.

Peach
1. FD
2. BF/DL
3. BF/DL
4. FoD
5. YS

Not a fan of platforms vs peach. Also, she has some really good pressure on small stages like YS. I feel really suffocated playing against her on yoshi's. DL actually isn't too bad since she as hard of a time killing you as you do her.

Falcon
1. FD
2. FoD
3. BF
4. YS
5. DL

Falcons hate FoD, and we can't really kill them up anyways, so I feel like this would be a good stage for us. In fact, if they ban FD, I might take them to FoD over PS.

----

That's all for now I guess. I'd like to hear what you guys think. Enlighten me!

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Samus' grab isn't that bad if she reads when you're going to shield (aka every time you're remotely close to her). I played phish-it once in a tourney and I got a few grabs off on him. In fact, I wish I'd grabbed more. Definitely got messed up by tilting his shield some times when I shouldn't have. :facepalm:

6VI6

Smash Apprentice
Yoooooo Green Ranger

Why would you go FD vs falco, lasers are just too brutal for me

Also I like YS for DK so it's interesting to see you dislike it in so many matchups (I guess I just like UpB under the platform though)

:phone:

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
So I signed up for Singles and Dubs at Apex for the heck of it. I'm really bad, so if any of the veteran DK's catch my matches, wouldn't mind getting ripped on. xD

Green Ranger

Smash Journeyman
Lolz, the Samus boards are alive and bustling! :laugh: Lack of depth is never a reason not to chat it up. :awesome:

You don't have a plan for Samus? What if you meet Plup or Duck or Darrel over at Apex? :p
I don't think that stage is that much of a factor in the DK vs Samus matchup (or DK vs other floaties). Just ban DL and hope for the best.

@Vikram
The lasers are really ****ty to deal with, but if I can land a grab, it is basically a stock. I also like having room to run around and stuff. I feel so suffocated on YS. I'm just constantly being pressured by better characters. DK gets overwhelmed there.

@Attila
Good ****! Melee is a really fun game once you get the hang of things. I'd be happy to give my advice (even though it might not be the best lol) to you. Let's play some friendlies at apex!

phish-it

Smash Champion
I usually prefer Battlefield in most cases, and I dislike FoD, Probably something close to this if I had to make a list:

Fox
1. FD
2. BF
3. DL
4. YS
5. FoD

Falco:
1. FD
2. BF/YS
3. YS/BF
4. DL
5. FoD

Jigglypuff:
1. BF
2. YS
3. PS
4. FD
5. DL

Sheik:
1. BF
2. YS
3. DL
4. FD
5. PS

Marth:
1. DL
2. BF
3. FD
4. PS
5. YS

Peach:
1. BF
2. PS
3. FD
4. YS
5. DL

Falcon:
1. BF
2. FD
3. YS
4. DL
5. FoD

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
contrary to Phish-it I love FoD against a lot of chars unless they're particularly floaty.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
I'll be wearing a DK laplander*, so I should be pretty easy to spot, Green Ranger! Would love to play. :)

*see: hat that covers ears and has two braids coming down the sides

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I am sooooo ready for APEX. My monkey is going in.
If you told me you were going to Apex, I woulda teamed with you for double kong lol

With that said, I hope to see you guys at Apex. I should be the only black guy playing Donkey Kong.

Someone show me how to beat* Falcos? k? Still think DK vs Falco is the most uneven matchup in the game. Even pichu does better.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Nah I've seen Sethlon wreck samus players, it's super bad but she can't beat DD forward B. Yeah roy ICs is prolly worse. Don't even need Nana to chain grab him.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Sethlon is really just outsmarting and outplaying these Sami then. I'm pretty sure Samus can just CC dtilt/dsmash sideB until she's at high %'s. I do it to Roy all the time, and the university I go to is filled with Roys. We have at least 4 competitive ones.

Edit: IIRC, Samus is actually one of Roy's worst MUs. It's terrible.....

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Haha nevertheless falco makes Dk cry, my state is full of falco players... It sucks. Trying to pic up Marth lol

:phone:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
lol i had a teammate lined up a couple months ago njz.
pm me ur number so i can find you at the venue

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
f-tilt won't. bair....well, what else are you going to use?

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
f-tilt won't. bair....well, what else are you going to use?
THE FIST OF AFRIKA!

There, you know beat Marth. :)

I keep forgetting DK is basically a complete opposite in Brawl.

Ftilt's good, downsmash is good for killing, cargo uthrow bad, downB good, superarmor on punch, has a chance of keeping charge after hit instead of instantly losing it...

It's a hard life we lead in Maylay. xD

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Well, it's not that these things are bad in Melee; it's just that they're much more situational. I heard Strong Bad say something about how Hand Slap isn't so bad against ICs and in Melee, DK actually has invincibility on fully charged punch startup instead of SA (but I think it's shorter in duration). Dsmash also isn't that bad for killing in Melee. Wait, Brawl DK can keep his charge after hitting someone with it? :crazy:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
bair a lot, grab uthrow uair, dd, outplay them, nothing very different from any other match-up

phish-it

Smash Champion
Up throw is fun to mix up cargo chain throws with for style points. It's also useful on stages with platforms because most people expect the cargo up throw and it often times throws off people's timing leading to a missed tech.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Phish-it, Green Range, and Strong Bad are too good, I was studying your matches lol. Beating kids in MMs was fun but I don't think imma use DK much anymore. Getting tired of spacies...

phish-it

Smash Champion
I got wrecked at Apex but it's all good. I think Strong Bad and Green Ranger are both more polished than I am. Too hard to play on the A game at nationals.

Top Bottom