• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official APEX 2012 Results Thread! ALL RESULTS UP. International takes it all!

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Did you see the stream? Hbox played ****ing amazingly yesterday.
Nah stream monsters and Marvel deterred me from the stream. Hence the, "Can't wait to see GF, " comment.

Edit: Humble apologies that I got the top of the page. I know I'm terrible at everything so pretend that Ally got the page if you'd like.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
Ok so im at the Hyatt hotel right now, suprisingly nobody was in my room yesterday so I just slept in the canadian room.

I went back this morning, and still no one there?? I have no idea whats going on , all my stuff is still in there and nobody informed me about anything,
I was sharing my room with Ninjalink and the japanese , so if anyone has ninjalinks number then please post it here , thanks

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
1: Otori==:metaknight:
2: Nietono==:olimar:
3: Nairo==:metaknight:
4: ESAM==:pikachu2:/:popo:
5: Ally==:metaknight:/:snake:
5: Kakera==:metaknight:/:popo:

1. Kakera & Otori==:metaknight:/:metaknight:
2. Mew2King & Anti==:metaknight:/:metaknight:
3. Gnes & Razer==:diddy:/:snake:

quad mks for GFs in teams, 4 mks in the top 5 for 1vs1 and a mk winning apex. what a fitting end.

thanks MK. u never fail to justify the ban

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
And yet you leave out that 7-16 did only have 2 Mks...

That results completely show that MK isnt banworthy LOOOOL.

You dont know the definition of, and probably never saw a banworthy character ;)

Dont be silly Xyro, get better scrub.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
All videos that were on stream is being uploaded to apextournament.

This was a great tournament & my very first national. I had lots of fun & it's all thanks to the APEX staff for runnimg such a great tournament, so thank you guys! The DQ threats were funny thouqh, since like most people didn't stop playing friendlies even after that threat with no refund & being kicked out. There's no doubt in my mind now that there is a NEED for brawl set-ups that will have friendlies at ALL TIMES.

:phone:

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
1: Otori==:metaknight:
2: Nietono==:olimar:
3: Nairo==:metaknight:
4: ESAM==:pikachu2:/:popo:
5: Ally==:metaknight:/:snake:
5: Kakera==:metaknight:/:popo:

1. Kakera & Otori==:metaknight:/:metaknight:
2. Mew2King & Anti==:metaknight:/:metaknight:
3. Gnes & Razer==:diddy:/:snake:

quad mks for GFs in teams, 4 mks in the top 5 for 1vs1 and a mk winning apex. what a fitting end.

thanks MK. u never fail to justify the ban
Completely ignoring that an Olimar roflstomped the entire US/Europe.

Xyro77

And yet you leave out that 7-16 did only have 2 Mks...
either way, top 5 have 4 mk and mk won apex. then u got quad mks in the most boring teams GFs of all time.

so glad mk is gone(for the most part) now

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
either way, top 5 have 4 mk and mk won apex. then u got quad mks in the most boring teams GFs of all time.

so glad mk is gone(for the most part) now
Wait.

So, IF nietono (Who almost ALWAYS dominates japan and therefore is BETTER than Otori) wouldve won, you would stfu about the ban?

OH YOU

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
People need to stop saying that "Japan is on a whole new level". It was clearly evident that American(/European) players can match up to them, but guess what, their entire absolute top hasn't played against the entire western absolute top.
Ally beat Japanese peeps, Nairo, ESAM. It's not weird that our other top players didn't beat theirs, because what you're seeing from Japan is not just the top, it's the absolute top (save for 9B).

Also banning MK is still dumb. *shrug* be happy tho flopmerica

edit: Limiting MK to one only in teams is cool tho

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I'll be glad for MK to be gone primarily for Doubles. I could care less that he's gone for Singles, except now at least there's some more variety.

He was absolutely balls to the walls broken for Doubles, no doubt about it.

Xyro77

Wait.

So, IF nietono (Who almost ALWAYS dominates japan and therefore is BETTER than Otori) wouldve won, you would stfu about the ban?

OH YOU
no i wouldn't because the ban is happening no matter what. but apex3 is even MORE evidence that we did the right thing when deciding to ban him.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I could've beaten Olimar if I got that far. Guess I'll have to settle for Ice Climbers and Peach. :p

Meta Knight is still incredibly centralizing, no matter whose Meta Knights ended up winning. This ban is still the right decision.

Omni

BRoomer
no i saw it. but i also see quad mks for GFs in teams, 4 mks in the top 5 for 1vs1 and a mk winning apex.
Dude, let's be real, you see only what you want. And if you see anything that goes against what you want then you fail to measure it correctly.

Japanese outplacing the US. A Japanese Rob taking out M2K. A metagame that is clearly more developed than the US. Clearly established. And we respond with, "MK needs to be banned. No need for metagame to continue evolving." Derp.

What do you think to yourself when you see top Nientono roll over us? Or when Brood won the previous Apex? Do you think it's just a fluke that twice two different Olimar's outplaced US?

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
With MK banned, Apex wouldnt have been what it was.

Good luck with your "right decision" ;)

E: Totally what Omni said.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Think of the MK ban as a mandatory moment where people who previously depended on MK as a clutch are now forced to actually learn and develop their characters. You want to see more people do like Nietono did, right (get top placings with top MKs attending while using a non-MK character)? With MK banned, we might not get MK practice at tourneys, but MK isn't getting practice either at tourneys, so if he ever gets unbanned, there will be a very sweet pace set for MKs to come back to.

I do think USA was getting lazy though, if you were having problems, you'd fall back on MK instead of getting better with your main (with the exception of the solo mains here and there). Their MKs would get all the MU experience they needed and more, leaving their 'mains' in the dust. "He picked MK, well time to do the ditto!", I'm glad he got banned.

Remember, the ban isn't permanent. If there's reason to unban him later, or if players vote for his unbanning at a later time (you'd need 2/3 votes now though), he will be unbanned.

suinoko/Jade Stern

Smash Cadet
People need to stop saying that "Japan is on a whole new level". It was clearly evident that American(/European) players can match up to them, but guess what, their entire absolute top hasn't played against the entire western absolute top.
Ally beat Japanese peeps, Nairo, ESAM. It's not weird that our other top players didn't beat theirs, because what you're seeing from Japan is not just the top, it's the absolute top (save for 9B).

Also banning MK is still dumb. *shrug* be happy tho flopmerica

edit: Limiting MK to one only in teams is cool tho

I think so too.
the quality of top players in Japan is same as that of America, but there are many players in America.
but this time, Japan won!
I wanna see that America and other countries players come to SRT to revenge^^

congraturations!!

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Premium
Nietono didn't "roll over" our top MK's any more than Rich Brown or Dabuz roll over our MK's. Nietono still won the entire tournament tho. Why isn't anyone mentioning the amount of MK's that made bracket? Oh well tho.

Shoutouts to HungryBox (**** what everyone else is saying, I watched your set with Armada intently. I hope you continue to get better and jump that hurdle. You beat PP, Mango, Javi and Armada in a set, that is a huge accomplishment), Wobbles (for beating M2K again without Wobbling. No one can ever say that you're not a good Ice Climbers again and if they do, **** them.) , Javi, OCEAN, C.J for keeping the Marth boards hype as ****, Dojo for losing to DRN, Salem for beat Nick Riddle and oh so many more for an amazing tournament. The Japanese are legit, the Canadians are legit, the Mexicans are legit. American needs to step their game up. Shout out to K.I.D. for being good at marvel too.

I for one am glad M2K is done. **** the haters.

Beat!

Smash Master
... so does anyone know how i can find out why i was banned from the stream chat?...
You've asked that like 15 times now. I honestly don't understand why you've made such a huge deal out of it. Seriously, it was probably just a mistake or something. I don't think there was some stream mod who held a personal grudge against you and banned you for fun.

And you weren't even missing anything. The stream chat was absolutely horrible.

Like, move on.

Omni

BRoomer
Think of the MK ban as a mandatory moment where people who previously depended on MK as a clutch are now forced to actually learn and develop their characters. You want to see more people do like Nietono did, right (get top placings with top MKs attending while using a non-MK character)? With MK banned, we might not get MK practice at tourneys, but MK isn't getting practice either at tourneys, so if he ever gets unbanned, there will be a very sweet pace set for MKs to come back to.

I do think USA was getting lazy though, if you were having problems, you'd fall back on MK instead of getting better with your main (with the exception of the solo mains here and there). Their MKs would get all the MU experience they needed and more, leaving their 'mains' in the dust. "He picked MK, well time to do the ditto!", I'm glad he got banned.

Remember, the ban isn't permanent. If there's reason to unban him later, or if players vote for his unbanning at a later time (you'd need 2/3 votes now though), he will be unbanned.
MK isn't a "clutch"; he's a character. Just because SamusMain123 decides to handicap himself in regards to competitive play doesn't mean MKMain123 should be penalized for playing to win.

We are lazy. We can't deal with a character; we ban it. And even with evidence that higher developed metagames in other regions are handling MK; doesn't matter.

The ban is huge. No one wants to practice a character that could be banned in the future at huge tournaments. It has already made its mark on Apex 2012.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Premium
Omni, you and many others were already talking about hosting MK-legal tournaments on the east coast. Top players will still want to play against MK, players will still play MK, MK will still be online and you KNOW this. Chill the **** out. Now it's a minority option.

MaxThunder

PM Support
You've asked that like 15 times now. I honestly don't understand why you've made such a huge deal out of it. Seriously, it was probably just a mistake or something. I don't think there was some stream mod who held a personal grudge against you and banned you for fun.

And you weren't even missing anything. The stream chat was absolutely horrible.

Like, move on.
it's just that it completely ruined my day... it was most likely cause i was really tired and hungry at that point, but it got me really angry... somthing that almost never happen... and i just wanna know why... i don't care that the chat was horrible...

i have triwed, but i just can't let it go...

Omni

BRoomer
Omni, you and many others were already talking about hosting MK-legal tournaments on the east coast. Top players will still want to play against MK, players will still play MK, MK will still be online and you KNOW this. Chill the **** out. Now it's a minority option.
I'm chill; but no, top MK players will not want to put the same time and dedication into MK knowing that he may be banned at future credible tournaments. I would know.

Saffy

Smash Ace
Hmm according to Selebu.'s post with the placings, only 22 of the 64 people used Metaknight in bracket. Meaning around 34% were metaknight.

That really isn't an exaggerating number imo.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
MK IS a clutch. You can't tell me that MK isn't a clutch when we have a whole hoard of people falling back on him whenever they lose game 1/go against an MK main/get cp'd into Brinstar or Rainbow Cruise/get far enough into brackets. Top players and low level players alike, there's people using MK to hit on their personal worst MUs, even when there's other characters who do it better or if their MU really isn't bad at all and they're just lazy. People can't stand losing in tourneys or missing the prize money, so they take the fastest way of getting better, choosing MK when they need to. Not practicing with their mains or another secondary, just choosing MK. The base skill they have carries over to MK, and if they know enough about him, then. They're well on their way to victory already.

MK is tough to beat using any character but MK, he's got a great MU spread that's to die for. Why should I practice Marth or Diddy or Snake if MK does it better? Most people who play against MK using their mains and lose think about using MK against their opponent's MK. Easiest way to take care of things, you instantly have an even MU. I personally think the root of the problem is all the data gathered (anti-ban forces pro-ban to dig data up from everywhere, pro-ban comes back with loadw of data that shows MK is the best character in the game, people see how MK wins a lot of the money and choose to use him to try and make money), but whatever it is, MK IS a clutch for people to use when their tourney placings seem threatened by anything.

Also, planking's gay to play against.

Top Bottom