• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official APEX 2012 Results Thread! ALL RESULTS UP. International takes it all!

DUB

Smash Lord
Dayyum. Poor Nick Riddle going 0-2 and one of the losses was to Salem. Meh, was rooting for you.

Good **** Japan, Good **** ADHD for waxin dat ROB ***.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
wow...they censor J A P S * ??
It was a frequently used derogatory term for the japanese during and after world war II. A period of time btw when 10% of the american population thought that the Japanese should be wiped out completely, similarly to what Hitler was going for with the Jews.

It was also used extensively in racist propaganda during the time (including posters like this one: http://www.clker.com/cliparts/d/8/0/7/12606113612110840826olh8pc.png as well as lots of popular music). You can also check the frequency of the word ***'s appearance in the times magazine online corpus to confirm this, or google ''Anti-japanese sentiment'' and read the wiki article.

Not sure if it should be considered a racistical term today, seems like it's more of a practical abreviation. Nonetheless, the word has quite a history.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Why all the hungry hate? YL has way more opportunities to approach in that matchup. Not my idea of hype GF's by any means but damn what can you ****ing expect? Try approaching when accurate bombs and boomerangs are coming at you like cocaine at a frat party lmao. Puff is his character and he was trying to win but couldn't pull it off. Big ****ing deal lol
I'm not sure if you're replying to me, but my point is that Young Link vs Jiggilypuff is a boring match. I did actually enjoy it the first two times they played, but now it has gotten old. They are camping instead of trying to right and there is no surprise that it is boring.

And I am not hating Hungrybox, I am hating on his strategy. I had thought that Hbox vs Armada might be fun to watch again because I thought Hbox had developed a counter strategy against Armada, but instead it's just the same old uninspiring play that got him defeated at his last two majors. And my problem with Hbox taking a set is that now instead of trying to develop a counter strategy(character) he will stick to his guns as the overall match was relatively close, and that just sucks.

D.A. RAFA

Smash Cadet
NNID
Prince_Judah_85
3DS FC
1392-6557-5159
It was a frequently used derogatory term for the japanese during and after world war II. A period of time btw when 10% of the american population thought that the Japanese should be wiped out completely, similarly to what Hitler was going for with the Jews.

It was also used extensively in racist propaganda during the time (including posters like this one: http://www.clker.com/cliparts/d/8/0/7/12606113612110840826olh8pc.png as well as lots of popular music). You can also check the frequency of the word ***'s appearance in the times magazine online corpus to confirm this, or google ''Anti-japanese sentiment'' and read the wiki article.

Not sure if it should be considered a racistical term today, seems like it's more of a practical abreviation. Nonetheless, the word has quite a history.
whoa...you took your time to give me history lesson. thanks man. much appreciated.

Get Low

Smash Ace
Things proven by this tournament:
Macd is underrated.
Axe is overrated.
Prog sucks at commentary.
Javi is amazing.

I hope Hbox and Armada meet in grand finals again someday, and Hbox beats Armada's Young Link with Puff. I could imagine Armada having a mental breakdown.

Also, Mango's reign is over.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Unban Metaknight
unban Metaknight
unban Metaknight
please?
and I'm a ROB main.

D.A. RAFA

Smash Cadet
NNID
Prince_Judah_85
3DS FC
1392-6557-5159
Unban Metaknight
unban Metaknight
unban Metaknight
please?
and I'm a ROB main.
Honestly now. You either have him in your lineup somewhere or you've gotten so good fighting him that, that is what you use to impress ppl at tournaments or you live in the middle of nowhere and don't play good ppl on a regular enough to see how cheap this character is. lol. BE HONEST PLEASE.

Flayl

Smash Hero
This tournament isn't really something that you can use as an anti-ban argument, not directly

You can use it for Japan > USA and then bring up that if USA wants to truly beat them they should unban MK

And that's only applicable if Japan would reject the possibility of attending any MK banned tournament.

delirium

Smash Rookie
Sooooo I heard Ocean vs M2K was kind of a big deal.

Will have way, way more photos up over the next couple days, too ... keep an eye out here. Big thanks to Brandon for having me there to photograph the event, and shoutout to all the Apex staff and the Smash community. I'm more of a Street Fighter guy, so this was my first time at a Smash event ... but you guys know how to put on a show.

Metro_Knight

Smash Rookie
Sooooo I heard Ocean vs M2K was kind of a big deal.

Will have way, way more photos up over the next couple days, too ... keep an eye out here. Big thanks to Brandon for having me there to photograph the event, and shoutout to all the Apex staff and the Smash community. I'm more of a Street Fighter guy, so this was my first time at a Smash event ... but you guys know how to put on a show.
Lol the look on Mike's face. Great photography right here.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
This tournament isn't really something that you can use as an anti-ban argument, not directly

You can use it for Japan > USA and then bring up that if USA wants to truly beat them they should unban MK

And that's only applicable if Japan would reject the possibility of attending any MK banned tournament.
Nientono's Olimar followed by Brood's last year Olimar shows that Olimar can compete and best Metaknight.

Otori's Metaknight shows that even our MK metagame isn't fully evolved.

Essentially, Japan outclassing us with an Metaknight and a non-MK character shows that we still have a lot of room for growing our metagame.

D.A. RAFA

Smash Cadet
NNID
Prince_Judah_85
3DS FC
1392-6557-5159

Lol the look on Mike's face. Great photography right here.
Mew2King.....YOU IS SUPER TIGHT RIGHT NOW!! LMAO!

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
I expected this thread to be full of pros saying how America sucks, instead it's full of randoms arguing about **** that doesn't concern them ;[

Good **** to Nairo and ESAM for holding it down as long as they did, west coast really f'ed up this tourney (though looking at the bracket a lot of them fought each other, as in western states in general), Japan and international players overall are so ****ing amazing, both in smash and in person, couldn't be at Apex but I never saw any OoC players rage like U.S. players do or anything of that sort when stream monstering :I

Levingy

Smash Apprentice
How long did Mango's reign exactly take? It started with Pound 3 I guess? Well, it's over now, let's see how long Armada's reign gonna take =].

Hax

Smash Champion
Things proven by this tournament:
Macd is underrated.
Axe is overrated.
Prog sucks at commentary.
Javi is amazing.

I hope Hbox and Armada meet in grand finals again someday, and Hbox beats Armada's Young Link with Puff. I could imagine Armada having a mental breakdown.

Also, Mango's reign is over.
Axe is actually one of the best players in the world (top 10) at his peak, it just isn't nearly as easy to be consistent when you don't play a god tier. i hope you aren't insinuating that mccain is better than axe, no offense to mccain lol

D.A. RAFA

Smash Cadet
NNID
Prince_Judah_85
3DS FC
1392-6557-5159
I expected this thread to be full of pros saying how America sucks, instead it's full of randoms arguing about **** that doesn't concern them ;[

Good **** to Nairo and ESAM for holding it down as long as they did, west coast really f'ed up this tourney (though looking at the bracket a lot of them fought each other, as in western states in general), Japan and international players overall are so ****ing amazing, both in smash and in person, couldn't be at Apex but I never saw any OoC players rage like U.S. players do or anything of that sort when stream monstering :I
Axe is actually one of the best players in the world (top 10) at his peak, it just isn't nearly as easy to be consistent when you don't play a god tier. i hope you aren't insinuating that mccain is better than axe, no offense to mccain lol
Armada is pretty consistent and he doesn't play a god tier.

Get Low

Smash Ace
I don't know, it just seems like Axe never beats any characters being played at a high level other than Fox, Falco and Marth.

I wasn't saying Macd is better than Axe. I just think Macd is extremely underrated because he consistently places relatively high at tourneys, and yet hardly anyone ever mentions him unless they are making fun of him in some way.

Hax

Smash Champion
Peach takes much more skill than spacies/jiggs/sheik, but she is god tier. Armada is also considered the world champ for a reason.

edit: also M2K please stop playing that fraudulent game/come back to Melee. i hate seeing melee's secretly most talented mind go to waste =/

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
Idk why people aren't criticizing Armada's play when his entire strategy was to time hbox out. You could see from his counter pick to DL in the first set that it was his intention to.

Hbox was approaching in this set, which he didn't do in his match with him at G2

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I'd like to give props to the following people [Brawl / USA]:

- Alex Strife: Words can't describe how sorry / disappointed I am that I couldn't be there. Ignore the haters, you've run the tourney well - more than 400 people in the same room and you managed to finish like 8 events on time within 3 days! Everybody who doesn't understand what it means to accomplish all of that lacks fundamental things of human such as common sense. People talk about Japan having taken over, questioning their MK ban, seeing the light of true improvement - none of that would've happened without you. Nobody - NOBODY - is even close as important to our [meta]-game as you are.

- Nairo: You double two-stocked Fatal and then beat Nietono and Kakera in a row. That's an absolutely incredible achievement. Although you didn't prepare as much specifically for this tournament, I think the overall dedication and time you put into this game started to pay off. If everybody in the world would be on your level then the metagame could be somewhere completely else!

- ESAM: Very good job at beating all those players, especially Gnes, Razer and Kakera. You've once again proven that not only Pikachu is a very viable character for tourneys but also that you're among the 10 best players in the world easily. I hear you're quitting / taking a break but I hope you're not. You should be a role model to most other people in america so they see how far the dedication to a character can take you, rather than relying on cheap cop-outs or bans.

- Ally: I hope you're going to stick to Snake mainly during the MK ban. I always felt you'd do better having him in top-shape even during the legality period - imho you would've beaten Otori soundly had you gone Snake but that's just speculation. I hope I'll finally get to meet you in europe this summer where you will show with a terrifying Snake / MK combo! Good placing too.

- Mew2King: I'm really sorry that you never got the reward you were looking for ... for all the effort you put into this game and the times you've helped your fellow MK players to become top-level players people should only look up to you. Japanese MKs have taken over because people robbed your motivation to keep up imo and the MK ban won't help that. IMHO you should focus on Melee until people decide to assume reason again and accept MK as integral part of Brawl.

- CJ: Thanks for the updates and the aim conversations, you are truly a bright mind within a community that - I hope - has just been woken up again. You are the kind of person people should listen to, not power-greedy tools and manipulators like AlphaZealot, DMG, Ripple or John12346. I wish you success [I don't believe in luck] to make your ideas and plans become reality too. If you need help you can call on me anytime!

- Kain / Seagull: You did a fair job representing a character that's difficult to be good and consistent with. From now on, I will work on the character as hard as I can to join up to you guys and share my knowledge whenever I can. You're both very talented players and I know you have the ability to do even better than this.

- Ish: Tanks for taking good care of my german friends. I hope you had a great time with them. Next time I will finally be there as well!

- Anti: Dunno why you're forfeited / got DQ'd. You're tied with Otori for best MK in the world right now imho.

:059:

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
I'd like to give props to the following people [Brawl / USA]:
- CJ: Thanks for the updates and the aim conversations, you are truly a bright mind within a community that - I hope - has just been woken up again. You are the kind of person people should listen to, not power-greedy tools and manipulators like AlphaZealot, DMG, Ripple or John12346. I wish you success [I don't believe in luck] to make your ideas and plans become reality too. If you need help you can call on me anytime!
How can anyone hate on John12346?

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
to all the people arguing that Armada is the one to blame for the boring match, take this statement and think about it:

YL has 3 projectiles, Puff has 0 projectiles. Which character should approach?

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I'm not surprised at all at Armada timing HBox out. Box hasn't changed his playstyle or significantly improved anything but his spacing in the last 6 years, and I don't think that is going to change anytime soon unless he stops and really considers the issue here. No hate on him as a player, he rightfully deserves his spot amongst the giants of the game. I think this has a lot of opportunity to be an eye opener for hungrybox that he should take to heart. After three times, it has to be demoralizing, but it's just a Wall [of Pain] for Hbox to overcome.

Also I can't wait to see the GF match because Hbox vs Armada Apex 2012 was what I was looking forward to the most and I'm glad Hbox wasn't beaten by anyone else.

Also shoutouts to Wobbles for getting so far after being knocked into losers so early.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
How can anyone hate on John12346?
I'm not hating him, in fact I rather like the way he presents his ideas and he seems open to concepts / ideas he's not inherently familiar with. I still think he shouldn't be listened to or referred to as much as he does, even though his intentions are good. Also, I don't doubt that any of the people I talked about are awesome people in person or anything but I think their input to the community is often counter-productive, intentional or not.

:059:

Jonas

Smash Champion
Did you see the stream? Hbox played ****ing amazingly yesterday.
The guy with higher percent.
Now you're just being silly. There's nobody who "should" or "shouldn't" approach. There's no rule anywhere that says that a player has to approach if he has more projectiles than his opponent, or if he has a higher percent. A good player approaches if his situation calls for an approach, and he stays back if it's better to play defensively, but he's not bound by any arbitrary rules to do so.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
****. Japan just demoralized me (even though nietono/otori seem like they weren't on a WHOLE NEW LEVEL like everybody thinks they are, went last hit alot vs otori =l ). They just had the motivation. Ggs, till next national I suppose

Top Bottom