• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The November Direct Massacre.

Who were screwed over the most?

• Isaac fans

Votes: 71 64.5%
  • Shadow fans

Votes: 43 39.1%
  • Skull Kid fans

Votes: 43 39.1%
  • Shantae fans

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Black Knight fans

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • Banjo fans

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Geno fans

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Rex fans

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • Spring Man fans

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • Other (Specify)

Votes: 9 8.2%

• Total voters

Steelia

Smash Champion
Went with Isaac and Skull Kid, but mostly Isaac. Are those hand attacks he uses even new models? They look like recolored Master Hands. Couldn't even be bothered to give him new model assets, if that's the case.

If Geno couldn't get into the base roster, I doubt he'll be DLC either.
Mewtwo was the most requested character for Smash 4 hands down, and not even he made it into that game's base roster. If the implication here is that a highly-requested character being omitted from this game's production makes them ineligible to be DLC, then this logic makes no sense.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Mewtwo was the most requested character for Smash 4 hands down, and not even he made it into that game's base roster. If the implication here is that a highly-requested character being omitted from this game's production makes them ineligible to be DLC, then this logic makes no sense.
Mewtwo is an extremely popular and iconic Pokemon that was sorely missed in Brawl and Smash 4's base roster. Geno is an obscure third party character with no legacy. The chances of Square Enix allowing this literal who to get in over any of their other relevant and prominent characters are incredibly low. With Nintendo calling the shots for DLC, it's clear they want characters that can reach out to a wide audience as well as those which can advertise upcoming games. Nobody aside from some hardcore Smash fans and bandwagoners cares about Geno. I'll be very surprised if he makes it in.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
#LibertyAndJusticeForAllThoseThatWereSlaughterInNovemberDirect

Any one of the deconfirmed characters you all talked about on you poll would have a warm/welcome addition to Smash Bros instead of a generic/boring/uninteresting/awful plant that can't even fight!!!!!!!!!!
That's not true, actually. And no amount of complaining will remove it from the roster. lol

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
It's been almost three weeks now and I'm still utterly baffled as to how Shadow didn't make the roster. I was pretty damn disappointed when I saw that AT for the third game in a row, and it's still gnawing at my mind at bit.

Why are there only 7 Echo Fighters in a game that has 8 player support? Why are Castlevania and Street Fighter suddenly the only series to get second representatives? Literally everything was lining up for Shadow to be that last Echo Fighter, the one that would round off the count perfectly and give Sonic the second character it very much deserves. He plays like Sonic 90% of the time, he has an almost 1:1 physique and abilities, he's very popular, has been pushed by SEGA a lot lately with Forces and TSR...what happened? Was he cut for time? Did SEGA change their minds late for whatever dumb reason? Or was he always meant to be an AT and just held back because they seriously thought people would be excited over seeing him be a glorified Timer yet again?

The roster feels incomplete to me without that black hedgehog next to Sonic. It just makes no sense and I feel like something happened behind the scenes. Seeing Sakurai state that Ken was included because he always plays like Ryu and making a cheeky joke about Luigi being the original Echo Fighter admittedly angers me a bit. I'm still very, very excited for this game and happy that Ridley and Dark Samus both made it in against impossible odds, but to be lead on for all those months with my friends and I getting excited only for a big slap in the face at the end is something I'll always remember.

My only hope is that the fresh new demand for Shadow will cause a turnaround for him, but that's very much a dream scenario and it sucks that I'm going to have to resort to mods yet again for something that should be official by now.

Sorry for the rant, just needed to blow off some steam. My sympathies to Isaac and Skull Kid fans who were similarly led on as well only for a backstab in the end.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Mewtwo is an extremely popular and iconic Pokemon that was sorely missed in Brawl and Smash 4's base roster. Geno is an obscure third party character with no legacy. The chances of Square Enix allowing this literal who to get in over any of their other relevant and prominent characters are incredibly low. With Nintendo calling the shots for DLC, it's clear they want characters that can reach out to a wide audience as well as those which can advertise upcoming games. Nobody aside from some hardcore Smash fans and bandwagoners cares about Geno. I'll be very surprised if he makes it in.
SMRPG on the SNES alone sold about 2.13 million, and then you have Virtual Console (don't really know its sales but still), plus the SNES Classic which sold a lot so a decent chunk of those people may have played SMRPG and saw Geno.

I'm not saying he's well-known (he's not beyond the 2 million or so people and whoever learned about him on the internet), but it's not like Geno would be the only "who?" character; other characters are more well-known, sure, but not everyone knows characters like Cloud, Bayonetta, some Nintendo first-parties and the like, and especially people among the target audience wouldn't know them (taking the E10+ rating into consideration).

He may not sell well (though tbh a lot of people may buy 'em all anyway), and I'm not really arguing that; I just don't get this "literally who" argument as if literally no one knows who the character is...

At least they let Geno be present in some form, and Sakurai's words and the Mii Costume show he is "really popular" at least.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
but not everyone knows characters like Cloud
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_Square-Enix_games
Cloud is literally the most popular and most well-known character from Square Enix's biggest franchise (144 million sales total), so most people do know who Cloud is. Just look at the kinds of reactions Cloud's reveal in Smash 4 generated.
There are so many other third party characters more well-known than Geno. It's just a fact. He could still make it into DLC, but at this point it's incredibly unlikely.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's been almost three weeks now and I'm still utterly baffled as to how Shadow didn't make the roster. I was pretty damn disappointed when I saw that AT for the third game in a row, and it's still gnawing at my mind at bit.

Why are there only 7 Echo Fighters in a game that has 8 player support? Why are Castlevania and Street Fighter suddenly the only series to get second representatives? Literally everything was lining up for Shadow to be that last Echo Fighter, the one that would round off the count perfectly and give Sonic the second character it very much deserves. He plays like Sonic 90% of the time, he has an almost 1:1 physique and abilities, he's very popular, has been pushed by SEGA a lot lately with Forces and TSR...what happened? Was he cut for time? Did SEGA change their minds late for whatever dumb reason? Or was he always meant to be an AT and just held back because they seriously thought people would be excited over seeing him be a glorified Timer yet again?

The roster feels incomplete to me without that black hedgehog next to Sonic. It just makes no sense and I feel like something happened behind the scenes. Seeing Sakurai state that Ken was included because he always plays like Ryu and making a cheeky joke about Luigi being the original Echo Fighter admittedly angers me a bit. I'm still very, very excited for this game and happy that Ridley and Dark Samus both made it in against impossible odds, but to be lead on for all those months with my friends and I getting excited only for a big slap in the face at the end is something I'll always remember.

My only hope is that the fresh new demand for Shadow will cause a turnaround for him, but that's very much a dream scenario and it sucks that I'm going to have to resort to mods yet again for something that should be official by now.

Sorry for the rant, just needed to blow off some steam. My sympathies to Isaac and Skull Kid fans who were similarly led on as well only for a backstab in the end.
I, uh, would caution against using the word "backstab" to describe what happened.

Backstab implies that Sakurai had some sort of malicious intent, and I doubt it. Sakurai probably thinks of AT's like, "hey your character didn't get in as playable but look! They're still represented!" and I get how it feels to be basically deconfirmed (RIP Rex) but let's be real a sec. Since the DLC was most likely decided during the project plan, AND the characters were chosen by Nintendo and not Sakurai, Sakurai probably had a choice. Add Shadow/Isaac/Skull Kid as an AT or don't add them at all. And, if the list of characters were decided recently (unlikely) then the characters were decided by Nintendo, and Sakurai probably at least snuck a peak at it and saw which characters were in the list and which characters weren't. And due to characters being third-party (Shadow), kinda irrelevant (Isaac, Skull Kid, Midna), or too new (Rex) he probably decided to add them in as ATs/Mii Costumes rather then just not having them.

I mean, think about it, would you rather have the band-aid ripped off now or have to wait a whole painstakingly long year just to learn that your boy's not in the game under ANY capacity? I mean, remember how Isaac fans felt after DLC ended in Sm4sh? Their AT was gone and they were so hopeful that it would lead to something im DLC but nope, Isaac was just straight up cut from the game. That must've sucked hard.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_Square-Enix_games
Cloud is literally the most popular and well-known character from Square Enix's biggest franchise (144 million sales total), so you're wrong about that one. Just look at the kinds of reactions Cloud's reveal in Smash 4 generated.
Nearly every other third party character is more well-known than Geno. It's just a fact. He could still make it into DLC, but at this point it's incredibly unlikely.
I'm not wrong.

I'm not saying Cloud isn't incredibly well-known, I'm saying not everyone knows him, as in literally everyone, including gamers and Smash fans before Cloud's inclusion, plus the game's target audience (given the E10+ rating). I didn't know him, Sora, DQ, etc. including Geno until internet stuffs / the Smash community, and I'd imagine a lot of others wouldn't have either, even if a lot did.

I'm not arguing popularity, I'm arguing the "literal who" argument being bad, as it implies that literally no one would know him, when at least 2-to-5 million or so people should.

To say "everyone knows who Cloud is" is a complete fact and not a general statement is wrong.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I, uh, would caution against using the word "backstab" to describe what happened.

Backstab implies that Sakurai had some sort of malicious intent, and I doubt it. Sakurai probably thinks of AT's like, "hey your character didn't get in as playable but look! They're still represented!" and I get how it feels to be basically deconfirmed (RIP Rex) but let's be real a sec. Since the DLC was most likely decided during the project plan, AND the characters were chosen by Nintendo and not Sakurai, Sakurai probably had a choice. Add Shadow/Isaac/Skull Kid as an AT or don't add them at all. And, if the list of characters were decided recently (unlikely) then the characters were decided by Nintendo, and Sakurai probably at least snuck a peak at it and saw which characters were in the list and which characters weren't. And due to characters being third-party (Shadow), kinda irrelevant (Isaac, Skull Kid, Midna), or too new (Rex) he probably decided to add them in as ATs/Mii Costumes rather then just not having them.

I mean, think about it, would you rather have the band-aid ripped off now or have to wait a whole painstakingly long year just to learn that your boy's not in the game under ANY capacity? I mean, remember how Isaac fans felt after DLC ended in Sm4sh? Their AT was gone and they were so hopeful that it would lead to something im DLC but nope, Isaac was just straight up cut from the game. That must've sucked hard.
You have a good point. I suppose I am overreacting a bit and at least am content to have an answer now (plus I'm gonna have fun putting his Spirit on Lucina heheh). Sorry, it is better to have them represented in some way rather than not at all.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Rex. He's the only one who got completely deconfirmed for DLC, and he was realistically likely.

Isaac, Skull Kid, Black Knight, Banjo, and Geno fans expected too much. They were always unlikely, but circumstantial "evidence" and false rumors hyped people up too much.

Some of the same can be said for Shantae fans, but most of them acknowledged that their "evidence" was circumstantial and while there was some disappointment, they're overall still happy she got to appear.

Spring Man is in a similar situation to Rex, but AT and Mii costume in the base game is way better than Mii costume as a bonus for buying the season pass.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Rex. He's the only one who got completely deconfirmed for DLC, and he was realistically likely.

Isaac, Skull Kid, Black Knight, Banjo, and Geno fans expected too much. They were always unlikely, but circumstantial "evidence" and false rumors hyped people up too much.

Some of the same can be said for Shantae fans, but most of them acknowledged that their "evidence" was circumstantial and while there was some disappointment, they're overall still happy she got to appear.

Spring Man is in a similar situation to Rex, but AT and Mii costume in the base game is way better than Mii costume as a bonus for buying the season pass.
Us Black Knight fans weren't very disappointed, I knew his chances were always 50/50. Would have picked him over Chrom in a heartbeat but he still makes for a pretty darn good AT.

Last edited:
Top Bottom