• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nintendo "Off My Chest" thread (BE CIVIL)

Quillion

Smash Hero
Got an opinion about Nintendo products you need to get off your chest, popular or unpopular? This is the place for you.

We have an Unpopular Opinions thread on this subforum that only covers Smash. Might as well have one that covers other Nintendo material outside of Smash.
----
Durability is the only good part of Breath of the Wild's weapon system. Everything else about the BotW weapon system, or how it's implemented, is subpar-to-bad.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The Gamecube controller is good, not great. The D-Pad is too small, 3 shoulder buttons instead of 4 is unnecessarily limiting, and the C Stick is less comfortable than it could have been.

Yoshi's Woolly World > Yoshi's Island. The latter's fantastic, but many of the levels in the back half drag on for too long, to the detriment of the experience.

Pilotwings is one of the most wasted Nintendo IP's and could have made for great launch titles on Gamecube, the DS, & the Wii U.

Mario 64's camera is far more problematic than Mario Sunshine's.

Star Fox Assault is a lateral move in quality from 64. Stronger multiplayer and story expansion to be sure, but the level design is iffy, the lack of multiple paths is baffling, and the voice acting is worse (Wolf not sounding like a Bond villain is particularly unforgivable).

A Link Between Worlds is the best paced Zelda title.

Nintendo's 2015 E3 presentation is the worst in their history, far more than the one in 2008. The latter's WIi Music focus was at least them awkwardly chasing the casual audience, but the former was a showcase for many of their biggest mistakes and just how out of touch they were with their audience. While there were exceptions (FE Fates, XCX), hindsight has rendered the major titles highlighted (Star Fox Zero, Tri Force Heroes, Federation Force, Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE, Amiibo Festival, Ultra Smash) as either weak points for the respective franchises and/or major disappointments financially.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Princess daisy is terrible
Blue is nothing but a bully
Kukui is an ego maniac
Team rocket is overrated
Waluigi sucks
Mewtwo is rubbish
Edlegard is evil
They only funded bayo cause it was the game they could get
Louie is nothing but trouble
First person was a terrible idea for Metroid
The football theme for sword and shield was a bad idea
Amiibo festival was good

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
A Link Between Worlds is the best paced Zelda title.
TBH, I don't think any exploration-based game in any franchise or genre can be "well-paced" unless they go for a smaller, more compact design. You can even make the argument that any game regardless of the linearity/exploration spectrum is the same way.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
TBH, I don't think any exploration-based game in any franchise or genre can be "well-paced" unless they go for a smaller, more compact design. You can even make the argument that any game regardless of the linearity/exploration spectrum is the same way.
I guess LBW just felt like the Zelda title with the least amount of padding or slower sections. Various other LoZ games have dips where it can feel a bit too stretched out, but this one always feels like it makes good use of your time.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I guess LBW just felt like the Zelda title with the least amount of padding or slower sections. Various other LoZ games have dips where it can feel a bit too stretched out, but this one always feels like it makes good use of your time.
I agree, don't get me wrong, but a lot of that is due to it having a small world. Expecting a Zelda game to have a consistent, brisk pace in a game like BotW is just unrealistic. I have no doubt that even something as small as Skyward Sword couldn't even achieve that even if they didn't rush the game and fill the later 2/3 with backtracking.

Laniv

Smash Lord

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
- The loss of the Virtual Console come March (and come this August as far as practicality) is one of the single greatest losses when it comes to game preservation and everyone who came to the decision to close it should not only be ashamed, but be rightfully branded as an enemy of preservation. A streaming service that will inevitably die in a decade or less is not at all a substitute for actually owning the games, and never will be.

- It's also not a coincidence that the closure was announced not long after the Nintendo Switch Online service came under fire. "Oh, they want to complain about our subpar offerings? Well, time to cut them off from the Virtual Console." The exorbitant price they're asking for the premium service shouldn't just give you N64 games (those should be in the base package). At that price it should give you access to the entire Switch library plus at least one first year Switch title, but Nintendo values their name brand far too much to do something as basic as that, and it sucks.

- The fact that the Mario franchise is basically synonymous with the concept of video games and yet literally every important human character is white is something that isn't called out nearly enough, especially when Nintendo tries to brush the fact that Daisy was whitewashed after the N64 era under the rug.

- Tierno is a great character, actually, but tons of Pokémon fans seem to think a character can only be allowed to exist if they're good at battling. There's more to the franchise's world than battling. Get over it.

- EarthBound is an absolute chore to play and is very unfun. Mother 3 thankfully rectified this.

- Speaking of Mother 3, the fact that there's a massive overlap between the crowds who whine about games "being too political" if there's anything even slightly progressive in them and the crowds who clamor for Nintendo to release Mother 3 in the west will always be funny to me. It's literally a game that takes overtly progressive stances on, like, everything. Pro-environmentalism, anti-capitalism, anti-fascism. The invention of money literally leads to societal downfall. One of the lead characters is a disabled man and the most powerful character in the party is a tomboyish young woman. If it were released for the first time today, all of Those Kinds of People would decry it as "woke SJW propaganda" on their hate platform of choice, but a good portion of them, today, are instead begging for it to be released. It's a very funny sort of irony. Anyway play Mother 3 it's a wonderful game.

- Book IV of Fire Emblem Heroes had a better story than any of the three GBA titles but people are not ready for that conversation. The Sacred Stones would have surpassed it if Ephraim didn't exist and drag the story down as much as he does.

- Crimson Flower is the best of Three Houses's four paths and the absolute best future for Fódlan as a whole, by far.

- A future Genealogy of the Holy War remake should NOT homogenize the gold and trading systems to match the rest of the franchise.

- Isabelle is, all around, a much better character than Tom Nook. On the other hand, the fandom's portrayal of Tom Nook as this crooked mob boss type of character is something that should have died off in, at the latest, 2008.

- ARMS is significantly more fun than Splatoon.

- There are numerous series revivals I'd like to see, but the most common ones requested by fans are nowhere near the top of my list. Give me a follow-up to Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. or new entries for The Legendary Starfy or Hotel Dusk before a new Star Fox, Golden Sun, or F-Zero.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Nintendo should be more open to acquisitions. JUST SO WE'RE CLEAR, I'm not talking about big name third parties like Sega or Capcom: I'm talking about companies they already have extensive work history with. Companies like IntSys, Camelot, Hal Labratory, and Game Freak (assuming they could work around the potential legal hurdle that is The Pokemon Company). Basically, the ones that actually make sense for Nintendo to buy.

Though given the recent industry trends, I wouldn't be too surprised if this changed eventually...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
- The loss of the Virtual Console come March (and come this August as far as practicality) is one of the single greatest losses when it comes to game preservation and everyone who came to the decision to close it should not only be ashamed, but be rightfully branded as an enemy of preservation. A streaming service that will inevitably die in a decade or less is not at all a substitute for actually owning the games, and never will be.
to be fair they are preserved just not accessible

- Crimson Flower is the best of Three Houses's four paths and the absolute best future for Fódlan as a whole, by far.
try living in Britain

Quillion

Smash Hero
I feel the Yoshi series is too often downplayed compared to the Donkey Kong and Wario series - specifically in their world and characters. Even the worst Yoshi games will always introduce a few fun characters and pieces of worldbuilding worth talking about in the same way people talk about DK and Wario.
I think the issue is that Yoshi is more heavily tied to the main Mario universe than DK, Wario, or even Luigi's Mansion.

Speaking of, Super Princess Peach absolutely deserves to become a sub-series in its own right.

UserKev

Smash Champion
If Nintendo wants to see a innovative explosion again, it needs to get out of its Japanese comfort zone. And expand to a Indian aesthetic themed new IP for example. I feel like Nintendo could get away with a new hindu mythology inspired IP like Raji Ancient Epic.

Also, Nintendo should absolutely snag Hyper Light Drifter.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If Nintendo wants to see a innovative explosion again, it needs to get out of its Japanese comfort zone. And expand to a Indian aesthetic themed new IP for example. I feel like Nintendo could get away with a new hindu mythology inspired IP like Raji Ancient Epic.

curious idea

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion

I don't think Nintendo is the type of company who tries to search things outside their nation most of time, they are very nacionalist.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
try living in Britain
what does that have to do with the crimson flower ending? Is it because the monarchy is implied to be abolished sometime after the end of that route and there’s still a monarchy in britain?
I was kind of disappointed when the new pokemon game was revealed to be taking inspiration from Spain. Don’t get me wrong, it has a very interesting and distinct culture and I think it’s very interesting inspiration for pokemon but the pokemon games have become way too west-centric or japan-centric and should take inspiration from some other cultures. Again, I wanna stress I’m not “mad” that they picked Spain but I did really wish they could pick some countries that aren’t as represented in videogames.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay here's a big one...

Nintendo does a fine enough job at keeping IPs alive. Most of the IPs that people clamor for simply did not make money or had negative receptions in their latest entry. I'd love new a new Star Fox, Golden Sun, Punch Out!!, etc, but I understand why those franchises are dormant.

I also think Nintendo is regularly bringing old IPs/franchises back, but its rarely acknowledged. Just recently, we got the return of Metroid, Advance Wars (kinda), Famicon Detective Club, Pokemon Mystery Dunegeon, Pokemon Snap, Mario Strikers, etc. That should be celebrated.

I'm also of the opinion that Nintendo putting older titles on Virtual Console or Nintendo Switch Online is them being invested in the IP. Putting those games on those services still takes time and money and it's only done if its deemed profitable. If they didn't care about an IP, it just wouldn't be included. There are a fair amount of IPs that Nintendo just doesn't give a **** about like Doshin the Giant or Joy Mech Fight where the most they can hope for is a cameo in Smash.

- It's also not a coincidence that the closure was announced not long after the Nintendo Switch Online service came under fire. "Oh, they want to complain about our subpar offerings? Well, time to cut them off from the Virtual Console." The exorbitant price they're asking for the premium service shouldn't just give you N64 games (those should be in the base package). At that price it should give you access to the entire Switch library plus at least one first year Switch title, but Nintendo values their name brand far too much to do something as basic as that, and it sucks.

- The fact that the Mario franchise is basically synonymous with the concept of video games and yet literally every important human character is white is something that isn't called out nearly enough, especially when Nintendo tries to brush the fact that Daisy was whitewashed after the N64 era under the rug.

- Tierno is a great character, actually, but tons of Pokémon fans seem to think a character can only be allowed to exist if they're good at battling. There's more to the franchise's world than battling. Get over it.

- EarthBound is an absolute chore to play and is very unfun. Mother 3 thankfully rectified this.

- Speaking of Mother 3, the fact that there's a massive overlap between the crowds who whine about games "being too political" if there's anything even slightly progressive in them and the crowds who clamor for Nintendo to release Mother 3 in the west will always be funny to me. It's literally a game that takes overtly progressive stances on, like, everything. Pro-environmentalism, anti-capitalism, anti-fascism. The invention of money literally leads to societal downfall. One of the lead characters is a disabled man and the most powerful character in the party is a tomboyish young woman. If it were released for the first time today, all of Those Kinds of People would decry it as "woke SJW propaganda" on their hate platform of choice, but a good portion of them, today, are instead begging for it to be released. It's a very funny sort of irony. Anyway play Mother 3 it's a wonderful game.

- Book IV of Fire Emblem Heroes had a better story than any of the three GBA titles but people are not ready for that conversation. The Sacred Stones would have surpassed it if Ephraim didn't exist and drag the story down as much as he does.

- A future Genealogy of the Holy War remake should NOT homogenize the gold and trading systems to match the rest of the franchise.

- Isabelle is, all around, a much better character than Tom Nook. On the other hand, the fandom's portrayal of Tom Nook as this crooked mob boss type of character is something that should have died off in, at the latest, 2008.

- ARMS is significantly more fun than Splatoon.

- There are numerous series revivals I'd like to see, but the most common ones requested by fans are nowhere near the top of my list. Give me a follow-up to Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. or new entries for The Legendary Starfy or Hotel Dusk before a new Star Fox, Golden Sun, or F-Zero.
I agree with most of these though I have an honest question.

If Nintendo Switch online offered a games only bundle where for 100 bucks or so, you gained permanent ownership over every NES, SNES ,or N64 game they include with the sevice, would you buy it?

Also, lol imagining how certain parties would react to the magypsies is entertaining to say the least.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Okay here's a big one...

Nintendo does a fine enough job at keeping IPs alive. Most of the IPs that people clamor for simply did not make money or had negative receptions in their latest entry. I'd love new a new Star Fox, Golden Sun, Punch Out!!, etc, but I understand why those franchises are dormant.

I also think Nintendo is regularly bringing old IPs/franchises back, but its rarely acknowledged. Just recently, we got the return of Metroid, Advance Wars (kinda), Famicon Detective Club, Pokemon Mystery Dunegeon, Pokemon Snap, Mario Strikers, etc. That should be celebrated.

I'm also of the opinion that Nintendo putting older titles on Virtual Console or Nintendo Switch Online is them being invested in the IP. Putting those games on those services still takes time and money and it's only done if its deemed profitable. If they didn't care about an IP, it just wouldn't be included. There are a fair amount of IPs that Nintendo just doesn't give a **** about like Doshin the Giant or Joy Mech Fight where the most they can hope for is a cameo in Smash.
Well, like I said on that other thread...

• Sony is best at making new IPs.
  • Nintendo is best at maintaining their existing IPs.
  • Microsoft is best at gaining ownership of other IPs.
On the flip side...
  • Sony IE's major IPs tend to just come and go constantly.
  • Nintendo rarely ever attempts to make new major IPs, just very low-key/one-shot ones for the most part.
  • Microsoft just doesn't homegrow anything.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
what does that have to do with the crimson flower ending? Is it because the monarchy is implied to be abolished sometime after the end of that route and there’s still a monarchy in britain?
edlegard is naïve enough to think that forcefully uniting three countries under one rule is enough to get the to stop bickering. britain being three countries stuck together proves this just doesnt happen

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Joy Mech Fight is on NES/Famicom NSO, fyi. It's just exclusive to the Japanese app. It was also released on previous JP Virtual Consoles.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Joy Mech Fight is on NES/Famicom NSO, fyi. It's just exclusive to the Japanese app. It was also released on previous JP Virtual Consoles.
Oh ****, I didn't know that.

That's rad as hell.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Mostly reposting from another thread:

Super Paper Mario didn't need to be a Mario game, and it shouldn't have been one either.

While I don't agree with the overcorrective restrictions imposed on the Paper Mario series (and possibly the entire franchise's spin-off material) since Sticker Star, I agree with WHY they did it: they felt that Super Paper Mario was too far removed from the Mario universe.

I loved Super Paper Mario's story at first, initially agreeing with the sentiment that it was the best story ever told in the Mario franchise. But looking at the game again, Super Paper Mario feels like it never should have been part of the Mario franchise to begin with. The Mario elements and even characters, IMO, feel tacked on to a story about multiversal hopping and of a villain whose loss of his love left him with nothing left to live for. The story as a whole feels like something that doesn't take place in the Mario universe, and the fact that it literally doesn't take place in the Mario universe feels like it proves my point.

While the post-SPM Paper Mario games feel like they hew too closely to mainline Mario elements, Super Paper Mario goes too far in the other direction. I have a hypothesis that if Super Paper Mario was its own IP, Miyamoto would not have such a negative reaction to its story and would not have convinced Nintendo to impose those mandates on the franchise. In that alt timeline, we could have stuck with the balanced approach of the first two Paper Mario games.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Unless the game and attached genre not suited for it, open world will always make it better. I have my reasons for thinking that that go back to my early days of gaming as a kid and my love for exploring and adventuring outside. Seeing games being open world is a dream come true and something that I will always embrace.

Dinoman96

Smash Master

Super Paper Mario didn't need to be a Mario game, and it shouldn't have been one either.

While I don't agree with the overcorrective restrictions imposed on the Paper Mario series (and possibly the entire franchise's spin-off material) since Sticker Star, I agree with WHY they did it: they felt that Super Paper Mario was too far removed from the Mario universe.

I loved Super Paper Mario's story at first, initially agreeing with the sentiment that it was the best story ever told in the Mario franchise. But looking at the game again, Super Paper Mario feels like it never should have been part of the Mario franchise to begin with. The Mario elements and even characters, IMO, feel tacked on to a story about multiversal hopping and of a villain whose loss of his love left him with nothing left to live for. The story as a whole feels like something that doesn't take place in the Mario universe, and the fact that it literally doesn't take place in the Mario universe feels like it proves my point.

While the post-SPM Paper Mario games feel like they hew too closely to mainline Mario elements, Super Paper Mario goes too far in the other direction. I have a hypothesis that if Super Paper Mario was its own IP, Miyamoto would not have such a negative reaction to its story and would not have convinced Nintendo to impose those mandates on the franchise. In that alt timeline, we could have stuck with the balanced approach of the first two Paper Mario games.
Yeah SPM definitely went way too far with its story and characters, and it sucks how Nintendo's response to it was basically violently forcing Paper Mario and other spinoffs to strictly adhere to the mainline NSMB/3D World look.

I just wish Nintendo would realize they effectively did nothing wrong with Paper Mario 64 and TTYD.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I absolutely loathe open world games and find it to be an instant turn off. I want a single, challenging objective and a single, challenging way to get to it with no distractions or fluff in the way - rinse and repeat the entire game with small new elements added every time.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

THANK YOU. I swear, that game ALWAYS gave me Star Fox Adventures vibes: it was originally a new IP, but got reworked partway through development, and became real awkward as a result. The Mario characters don't even TALK in a few of the cutscenes!

Quillion

Smash Hero
Unless the game and attached genre not suited for it, open world will always make it better. I have my reasons for thinking that that go back to my early days of gaming as a kid and my love for exploring and adventuring outside. Seeing games being open world is a dream come true and something that I will always embrace.
To the contrary, unless the game and attached genre not suited for it, closed world will always make it better. I have my reasons for thinking that that go back to my early days of gaming as a kid and my love for pacing in repetitive circles in the living room. Seeing games being closed world is a dream come true and something that I will always embrace.

Jokes aside, I absolutely loathe open world games and find it to be an instant turn off. I want a single, challenging objective and a single, challenging way to get to it with no distractions or fluff in the way - rinse and repeat the entire game with small new elements added every time.
Here's the real unpopular opinion:

Open world games are the result of both unfettered entitlement from the "bigger and better" demand from consumers and overambition from developers, yet since both outpace resource and time constraints, they have to resort to filling the game with the most repetitive, copy-paste padding in order to meet a playtime quota.

Linear games are the result of hipsters insisting "all stories are linear" and developers being wannabe movie directors, and therefore they fail to take advantage of the interactivity of the video game medium and make an experience where the narrative and gameplay are fighting each other.

They're both subject to Sturgeon's Law and they both lose. And even still, linear games can be poorly paced and padded out (Devil May Cry 4, Zelda: Skyward Sword) while open world games can still be wannabe movies (Red Dead Redemption 2).

The good games in either paradigm are those that overcome either problem and others, and it doesn't matter where on the linearity/exploration spectrum they are.

THANK YOU. I swear, that game ALWAYS gave me Star Fox Adventures vibes: it was originally a new IP, but got reworked partway through development, and became real awkward as a result. The Mario characters don't even TALK in a few of the cutscenes!
To me, SPM feels more like they wanted to make a Mario game, but forgot all of the non-gameplay things that makes Mario what it is.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Here's the real unpopular opinion:

Open world games are the result of both unfettered entitlement from the "bigger and better" demand from consumers and overambition from developers, yet since both outpace resource and time constraints, they have to resort to filling the game with the most repetitive, copy-paste padding in order to meet a playtime quota.

Linear games are the result of hipsters insisting "all stories are linear" and developers being wannabe movie directors, and therefore they fail to take advantage of the interactivity of the video game medium and make an experience where the narrative and gameplay are fighting each other.

They're both subject to Sturgeon's Law and they both lose. And even still, linear games can be poorly paced and padded out (Devil May Cry 4, Zelda: Skyward Sword) while open world games can still be wannabe movies (Red Dead Redemption 2).

The good games in either paradigm are those that overcome either problem and others, and it doesn't matter where on the linearity/exploration spectrum they are.

To me, SPM feels more like they wanted to make a Mario game, but forgot all of the non-gameplay things that makes Mario what it is.
I'm not talking about stories, only gameplay.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
When I was a kid, I would often go exploring the forests near my house. I would make maps, hide treasure, and even fight invisible monsters. I was collecting fish and insects before Anima Crossing popularized it. That being said, I lived in a mostly flat area so I couldn’t see any expanse of where I was at. Just flat terrain so when I finally was able to move to an area with more varied terrain; I was able to see where I could go to rather than estimating based on maps I made earlier. This is of course before Googlemaps and the like. In terms of gaming, I would often picture how Kanto, the Mushroom Kingdom, or Hyrule would look if I placed smack dab in the middle. I would try imagine how the boundaries look outside of the liberal controlled space.

Open world has made it so I can actually do this and I’m grateful for it. I don’t mind linear games. I mean I grew up with them but giving me the freedom to make my own pathway and choices has changed the entire way I game. Most of my preferred games are now open-world (TES, Fallout, Ark, Subnautica, Genshin, RDR, and many others). Yeah, the genre is bloated and has been infested by unimaginative gaming glop but that’s a beating I’m willing to take to freely explore a location and creating my own pathway. This is one reason why I also love simulation games like Sims, the Tycoon series, and so on. I like having freedom in a game, not limitations.

I’ve been called a corporate shill for having this mindset in other gaming sites and im perfectly fine with that.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
It’s funny how one of my most favorite games series is literally one “go from point A to point B”. While an open world Mass Effect would be nuts (and I doubt BW could do it since the flopped on Andromeda), what turned me onto the series was the ability to choose your own pathway within the story based on your decisions made in the past. Customizing armor and guns was an added plus. Even Mega Man allowed me to choose which boss to fight first.

To me, an imaginative world and setting is just or if not as important as a plot. I love getting involved with lore and finding lore in game to b a huge thing. This can be accomplished in linear games but, when in an open-world, it becomes harder so finding that lore becomes more difficult. Some open world games that what some deem as being “unimaginative” due to repeated landscapes and what not, to me, is imaginative. I love looking at the expanse. This is one reason why Wind Waker was my most favorite Zelda game before BoTW.

Last edited:
Top Bottom