• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nintendo Connection

Terry Bogard

Smash Apprentice
When discussing 3rd party newcomers, I think there's something important to remember. The "Nintendo Connection" is the name I've given to a phenomenon related to every 3rd party. That phenomenon is that each of them has appeared on at least one Nintendo console. This is so they can still represent Nintendo not as a company, but as a brand.

For Snake, the first MGS was released on Gamecube

Castlevania started on the NES

Sonic made his first Nintendo appearance on Gamecube

Bayonetta 2 was released exclusively for Wii U

Joker appeared in Persona Q2, a 3DS exclusive

Megaman started on the NES

One of the consoles SF2 was ported to was the SNES

While I don't know about Pac-Man, I'm confident that he's appeared on Nintendo consoles

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was on Wii U

Both Cloud and Sephiroth appeared in two separate games on Wii U and Switch before their announcements

DQ11 was ported to Switch before Hero's announcement

Banjo & Kazooie made their first appearance on N64

Minecraft has been ported to both Wii U and Switch

Even my (sort of) main, Terry, had some of his classic games ported to Switch before his Smash announcement

This is why I think the "Nintendo Connection" should be considered when talking about 3rd party newcomers. If I'm wrong, feel free to debunk me.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
The "must be on Nintendo" fan rule?

Cloud never appeared on the Wii U outside of Smash. His only Nintendo appearances at the time were Kingdom Hearts and a chibi rhythm spin-off. He alone should've slaughtered this ridiculous belief forever then and there. If that didn't do it, Joker's only appearance prior to his addition also being a chibi spin-off should've.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
While it's true that the Nintendo connection argument has been getting flimsier it still holds true. We have not gotten a character yet that has hasn't appeared on a Nintendo platform even after all this time. I just think that it's not important to have a lot of Nintendo history. like people used to think back in the Smash 4 days.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
If Cloud's appearance in Kingdom Hearts counts, then Chief's skin in Minecraft should count as well.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Metal Gear was first released on MSX2 in 1987. So, it was port.
The operative wording being "on Nintendo"

Actually, there's several oddities, such as Street Fighter's first Nintendo outing was in 1990 with a strange run-and-gun platformer called Street Fighter: 2010 :yoshi:

Terry Bogard

Smash Apprentice
The Metal Gear franchise is older than you think, bud. Snake first appeared on Nintendo in 1988
I knew the series was older. I just didn't know if those games starred Snake, Big Boss, or someone else.

That was a fail on my part.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Also, SNK had a LOT of their games ported to Nintendo consoles, not just the Switch. I've never played them, but just going off an image search for Game Boy

I wonder who that middle person is. Do you know, OP? :yoshi:

Terry Bogard

Smash Apprentice
The "must be on Nintendo" fan rule?

Cloud never appeared on the Wii U outside of Smash. His only Nintendo appearances at the time were Kingdom Hearts and a chibi rhythm spin-off. He alone should've slaughtered this ridiculous belief forever then and there. If that didn't do it, Joker's only appearance prior to his addition also being a chibi spin-off should've.
I remember the announcement for that spin off game. It happened in the same direct as Cloud's 4 reveal. Also, while you don't count spin offs, Sakurai might.

Terry Bogard

Smash Apprentice
Also, SNK had a LOT of their games ported to Nintendo consoles, not just the Switch. I've never played them, but just going off an image search for Game Boy

I wonder who that middle person is. Do you know, OP? :yoshi:
That I didn't know. I got into SNK during the late 2000's.

Terry and everyone else looks fine, but Kim just looks weird.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
How many companies don't have a single game on Nintendo (at least of the main ones)?

Top Bottom