• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The next steps for Improvement

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
I'm pretty fluid with my Marth and my training/practice so far. For the entirety of my competitive experience, I have been only able to train on the 3DS version of the game, however I'm able to apply whatever I learn to my GCC easily when I'm able to use it. I've gone to my first tournament already, and I found myself overwhelming many players above my age during friendlies and after getting bodied by a pretty high level player during the tourney itself, they told me I was better than they expected. As of right now, can do many if not all of Marth's combos and attack strings pretty consistently along side being able to dash dance at will after enough practice. I even got the hang of perfect pivoting 3DS eventually. I practice at usually at least an hour a day and I am currently practicing on improving my focus towards my opponent's character and effectively observing and reacting to their options.

So what should I focus on doing next to Improve myself further if I wish to get to high level play with my Marth?
Thanks for reading and also in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

RZL

Smash Rookie
Ledge trapping is very important as Marth. Have you watched Izaw's video with TheSilencer? It gives a brief, yet fairly comprehensive start to ledge trapping.

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
Yes, I have. I actually was anticipating a Marth training session ever since he started recording them. I plan on studying that video as I did with his Marcina guide. Izaw always has some good stuff.
Also, thanks for the reply, my thread has felt so desolate ever since I posted it.

Nyhte

Smash Cadet
Movement as well as options- what moves are punishable by which move and how you can best maximize punishes to get higher %. If you can space and move exactly where you want to fluidly, then really the only thing to get better at is matchup knowledge and reads/prediction.

For high level play you want to understand why higher level players do what they do, whether you do or not imitation helps with this. But if you can't do anything better than them, you'll only ever be playing catch up or be stagnant at that level, eventually you need to do what they're doing but better, or even things they aren't doing in a good way which'll separate you.

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
I've been watching a lot of Marth sets as of late, and one thing I've noticed was that many Marth players like to use Perfect Pivoting very frequently, so I've been applying things I can use out of a Pivot. I also see F-smashes get thrown out pretty often, which I get is to actually get more kills at 70-120%, but I personally will want to use F-tilt in it's place to be safer and deal moderate damage more consistently, and throw out F-smashes when I have a comfortable spacing or to follow up a well spaced jab in neutral. I also have been considering trying wavebouncing, but it's the only AT I believe I have been unable to preform consistently. I could see myself having an easier time once I jump on my GCC and have Tilt Stick, but because of my inability to obtain a Wii-U, I have to desperately rely on Nintendo to release Switch port later if I wish use it. Anyway the last sentence aside, is this a pretty solid direction I'm heading in? Is there any particular information I should know about Marth? Sorry for the long post BTW.

Hydgen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hydgen29
You should practice reading, baiting and punishing, (I recommend getting a friend to help you practice.) You can punish a roll easily with Down Smash, but if you predict where they roll, you might be able to pivot into a tippered F-Tilt, Up-Tilt, F-Smash, Up-Smash or short hop N-Air, F-Air or B-Air. You can punish air-dodge by baiting it out, then spacing a tippered F-Air, B-Air or (dependent,) Up-Air.

Cya :starman:

Top Bottom