• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) The Next Step

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I was reading my Twitter feed this morning, and came across the following exchange between James Chen and Ultra David:

To be fair, I understand what Ultra David is saying: that the FGC's fundraising efforts should be about the cause we're supporting, or the games we love, and not the recognition we receive for it. All other things being equal, I agree with him.

But all other things are not equal. The media, politicians and other public figures and institutions are quick to trash games, either generally (and there are dozens more examples), or specifically targeting the FGC. Everyone had something to say about the Cross Assault incident last year; all those results came in the first page of the Google search "Sexual harassment FGC." A Google search for "Evo breast cancer fundraiser" yields depressing, if predictable, silence from those same media outlets.

We've accomplished something truly amazing in the last month. Game enthusiasts from all over the world raised over $200,000 to aid research aimed at saving lives. $200,000! To put that in perspective, the National Football League, the multi-billion dollar American football league, with all their infrastructure and media presence, has raised $3 million in four years. We raised $200K in ONE MONTH with nothing more than message boards and Twitter, "Spirit Bombs" and sniping.

This achievement is worthy of celebration and recognition. We should flood Kotaku, Destructiod, IGN and every other gaming media outlet with emails and tips about our incredible results. We should call in to local news stations and newspapers, write to the Huffington Post, Fox News, CNN, everything we can think of. This is something that should be trumpeted and acknowledged, and it's up to us to see that it is. It's been demonstrated that the media is more than willing to trash us, but we have to be proactive and make sure that they also shine a light on what we do right. We've done something far beyond right here.

Revven

FrankerZ
This definitely deserves recognition. Games journalism has been extremely depressing since the Cross Assault incident and reporting about this would only benefit them as it does us. It gives the industry as a whole a good look, especially when we've been accused of so much wrong. And how video games are bad for you etc.

Word needs to get out. Create twitter accounts, send e-mails etc.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
I absolutely agree about how lowbrow games journalism has become these days (and this might be against popular opinion, but I actually despite Kotaku because I find them to be one of the sensationalists and refuse to visit their page for anything whatsoever), but I just want to say that I wasn't aware of the whole "superyan" fiasco before you mentioned it.

I have to admit, as much as we want them to stop only highlighting the negative aspects of the FGC community (there is undoubtedly plenty of negative aspects to it, I agree), I think we should also do what we can on our end to deprive them of anything they can put a negative twist on.

Can you twist absolutely anything? Sure. But I think that condemning behavior along the lines of that seen in the "sexual harassment" issue would be a good start.

I have no doubt there's going to be some kind of ****show happening at EVO 2013 no matter how hard we try to be on our best behavior- it's impossible to control that many people after all... but I think it's at least worth some effort.

And if it were me, I wouldn't give sensationalist gaming news sites like Kotaku any views at all. I've tried my best to find more "neutral" sources for gaming-related news, and some names I'd like to put out there include Adam Sessler, TotalBiscuit (not neutral, but always for the consumer, which I love), GiantBomb most of the time, ExtraCredit (thought-provoking commentary on recent events) and especially /r/games on Reddit, which I think has done a fantastic job of supporting good sources and downvoting/etc. bad sources.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I reported it yesterday when we had about 24 hours left, and they had an articule up in the morning. Not sure the way the Aus vs US reporting works, might have just gone to an Aussie writer so not shown up on the US site.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/02/evo-2013-raises-over-110000-for-breast-cancer-research/

After today though I sent in another tip so they can hopefully do an additional article, since they missed the whole "there's 24 hours left!" bit and reported it ended with Melee winning with 34k and only 110k overall.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I just sent another tip to Kotaku US as well, but some of the other sites are a bit obtuse in how they handle tip submissions.

Life

Smash Hero
Media preferring bad news over good news is nothing new; still, this deserves some coverage. That's two tips to Kotaku US (which hasn't covered it yet, Mic).

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I feel like for all the crap i give them IGN might actually be our best outlet for mainstream exposure. They worked with us before for competitive melee and while their article isnt super in depth they at least focused on "Melee wins" as well as properly mentioning the other games that did most of the work, SG and ST.

Kotaku sucks

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I know Kotaku sort of pissed me off, IGN didn't do much better simply because the next day I saw a full, in depth article with an interview regarding some gamer who was walking...some large distance for charity. No love for melee </3

However, if anyone is going to over sensationalize a story about gamers and charity it's this guy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh9Zta7K4Ic So go ahead and press see all comments, crtl+F , type "Kr1" and give me a thumbs up so maybe he sees it. He does report on viewer's stories and checks comments but only for the newest episode. He definitely will because of the super bowl and commercials and will only do it if he gets a bunch of people sending it to him.

I also sent him a tweet and a face book message, the latter of which including an explanation and links to where he can get information to give all the details in a concise and quick manner. Just need him to see it and he probably will report on it...maybe other's could tweet him to? His twitter and facebook are in the video description. Kinda reaching here but any exposure is good exposure and he reports on this kinda stuff with a lot of casual gamers viewing.

Top Bottom