• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The next Generation: Pokemon X and Y confirmed

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Now that we've transitioned to a new server, I can at least put up some perspectives on my base stat inputs for the starters...

[collapse=Chespin]-------------------------
Chespin

Type: Grass

HP: 40
Attack: 60
Defense: 40
SP ATK: 60
SP DEF: 40
Speed: 65
Total: 305
-------------------------
Chespin's first evolution

Type: Grass/Ground

HP: 50
Attack: 85
Defense: 50
SP ATK: 85
SP DEF: 50
Speed: 85
Total: 405
Chespin's second evolution

HP: 70
Attack: 105
Defense: 70
SP ATK: 110
SP DEF: 70
Speed: 110
Total: 535
-------------------------[/collapse]

[collapse=Fennekin]-------------------------
Fennekin

Type: Fire

Attack: 35
Defense: 45
SP ATK: 65
SP DEF: 45
Speed: 75
Fennekin's first evolution

Type: Fire/Psychic

Attack: 45
Defense: 65
SP DEF: 65
Speed: 95
Fennekin's second evolution

Attack: 65
Defense: 85
SP ATK: 105
SP DEF: 85
Speed: 125

[collapse=Froakie]-------------------------
Froakie

Type: Water

Attack: 55
SP DEF: 60
Speed: 40
Froakie's first evolution

Type: Water/Ice

Attack: 70
Defense: 55
SP ATK: 75
SP DEF: 75
Speed: 60
Froakie's second evolution

HP: 90
SP DEF: 105
Speed: 80

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Would Drought Flareon be okay?
No because then they'd have to give all the Eeveelutions weather abilities and Drizzle Vaporeon would be pretty broken.

^ you could argue as that these games are also sort of Stadium games, since these games have what was exclusive to the Stadium series: 3D battles. after all this is a game on the 3DS...

they could still make a Pokémon game for the Wii U with HD graphics...
PS = Pokemon Showdown, not Pokemon Stadium.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
There could be sprite resources in the game, who knows.

Alternatively, Pokemon community could come out on top again and top sites will rip and compile the 3D models and make images, and sims will just use those images.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
The deer legendary has sword legs which look really uncomfortable.

Also will they finally give pinsir an evo

:phone:

Edit: @mario and sonic guy, why do u think water/ice and grass/ground? Most people i have seen have been gussing water/fighting and grass/ground for them

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Been reading up some on sites that the Legendarys might take after some of Norse Mythology and Yggdrasil (among Chromosomes and XY axis), the region being based off of Europe and whatnot, any thoughts here? This is what I've seen guessed:

• X being based on the 4 Stag of Yggdrasil, Dáinn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr and Duraþrór (each horn on X is colored differently to represent them as they each represent the 4 elements). It also probably takes inspiration from Eikþyrnir which is another stag.
  • Y being based on Veðrfölnir, a bird that rests a top Yggdrasil.
Based on this:
  • Z (?) would most likely be based on the Dragon Níðhöggr who lives beneath Yggdrasil (Ground/Dragon?).
  • An Event Pokemon would most likely represent Yggdrasil itself (Grass?). Yggdrasil could also explain why X was in a forest in the trailer.
  • Wouldn't be surprised either if the legendary trio was based on some Norse Warriors like Thor.

Forgive me in advance if I'm sounding dumb for getting into some of the fan hype/speculation, but I think it'd be kinda cool if true. Wiki the Norse names if they're not making sense.

@Starters: Personally I've been thinking Grass/Fighting, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Dark.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Can't say I'm surprised. Nintendo knows the 3DS needs to sell more units, and what else sells like hotcakes than Pokemon? Now I feel like buying one to get it out of the way.

On the starters, they look great. I just hope they actually have good movepools, stats, and evolutions. I was disappointed in the Gen 5 starters for this reason; they were all pretty lackluster, not to mention we got Fire/Fighting for the 3rd time in a row.

I'm gonne guess their evolutions would be Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fighting, just going by the moves the starters did in the trailer. Chespin looks like it did Night Slash, Fennekin did some Psychic move, and Froakie did Close Combat.

As a competitive battler, I'm very curious about what kinds of new powerful threats will arise. Gen 5 gave us one hell of a power creep.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Froakie doesn't look like much of a fighting type to me. With his powdered wig like hair and bifocals

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
This games look really good! This games look like Pokemon XD, and I really enjoyed XD. And the pokemons shown look great, unlike the gen V pokemon which I really didn't liked.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Not sure if this has been said, but maybe the X and Y versions are a reference to the Cartesian Coordinate System. If they do indeed release a Z Version, this can confirm this speculation, what with Gen VI being on the Nintendo 3DS, no?

Vashimus

Smash Master
Not sure if this has been said, but maybe the X and Y versions are a reference to the Cartesian Coordinate System. If they do indeed release a Z Version, this can confirm this speculation, what with Gen VI being on the Nintendo 3DS, no?

I was thinking that too, yet the Japanese logo that has a double helix symbol in it, like DNA, so people have have been basing it on the genetic chromosomes of the same name.

But yeah, X Y and Z, on the 3DS. Surely this is too great of a pun for Nintendo to pass up.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Was just looking at one of the images, do you think there might be a grass gym/elite four? It's not a normal nature patch as there are symbols on the ground for where your feet are meant to be and there are nets under you in case you fall...

I wonder...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
those rainbow DNAs are a dead give away that X and Y are meant to be chromosomes.

anyway, I find it curious that the X Pokémon is a deer (a land animal) and the Y Pokémon is a bird (a flying animal). considering how you represent the x and y axes on a 2D plan, well... see for yourself:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Didn't see the DNA stuff in the logo before (stupid localization changes!) but I'd still like to think that some Norse mythology still played an influence for now.

It's also nice to finally have names for the two legendarys, too bad I can't pronounce either. :p

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Speaking of the new legendaries, I have a bit of a brief perspective on what I think their stats could be...

[collapse=Xerneas]-------------------
Xerneas

Type: Grass/Steel

HP: 105
Attack: 100
Defense: 90
SP ATK: 150
SP DEF: 110
Total: 680
-------------------[/collapse]

[collapse=Yveltal]-------------------
Yveltal

Type: Dark/Flying

Attack: 150
Defense: 110
SP ATK: 100
SP DEF: 90

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Is there any upcoming movie that a pokemon from this new gen could appear in?

I wonder who is going to be the new cool pokemon of this generation they advertise the hell out of.

Like Lucario, Zozoark, etc.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
So now that they're no longer using sprites, what does this mean for the Gen VI version of PS/PO/Shoddybattle?
Pretty sure the community has got that one covered.

Been reading up some on sites that the Legendarys might take after some of Norse Mythology and Yggdrasil (among Chromosomes and XY axis), the region being based off of Europe and whatnot, any thoughts here? This is what I've seen guessed:

• X being based on the 4 Stag of Yggdrasil, Dáinn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr and Duraþrór (each horn on X is colored differently to represent them as they each represent the 4 elements). It also probably takes inspiration from Eikþyrnir which is another stag.
  • Y being based on Veðrfölnir, a bird that rests a top Yggdrasil.
Based on this:
  • Z (?) would most likely be based on the Dragon Níðhöggr who lives beneath Yggdrasil (Ground/Dragon?).
  • An Event Pokemon would most likely represent Yggdrasil itself (Grass?). Yggdrasil could also explain why X was in a forest in the trailer.
  • Wouldn't be surprised either if the legendary trio was based on some Norse Warriors like Thor.

Forgive me in advance if I'm sounding dumb for getting into some of the fan hype/speculation, but I think it'd be kinda cool if true. Wiki the Norse names if they're not making sense.
You most certainly do not sound dumb. That actually sounds really awesome. XD

This games look really good! This games look like Pokemon XD, and I really enjoyed XD. And the pokemons shown look great, unlike the gen V pokemon which I really didn't liked.
I felt the exact same. :D :D This reminds me of Colosseum tbh (haven't played XD yet as I'm still finishing the last Mt. Battle)

Is there any upcoming movie that a pokemon from this new gen could appear in?
Extremespeed Genesect is the newest one coming out in Japan, so if it's any it's probably that one.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hope this doesn't go over as smoothly like everyone else when they first transitioned into 3D.

Pokemon is pretty late on this

Also, the design of the main character looks pretty bland compared to normal. I wonder if that is because the problem of the 3D transition

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I was thinking that too, yet the Japanese logo that has a double helix symbol in it, like DNA, so people have have been basing it on the genetic chromosomes of the same name.

But yeah, X Y and Z, on the 3DS. Surely this is too great of a pun for Nintendo to pass up.
Perhaps the X, Y, and (presumably) Z have double meanings?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Perhaps the X, Y, and (presumably) Z have double meanings?

I am willing to guess that too.

X and Y give room for symbolism.

both can represent:
- chromosomes, in particular, those that decide a living being's sex. I am guessing that Xerneas will be female, and Yveltal will be male.
- the axes on a geometrical plane, which might be referencing the series transition to 3D, especially if Xerneas and Yveltal have a trio master as the Z Pokémon.
- they are also often used as placeholders for the unknown values in an equation.

I also think that the villain team's evil plan will be related to genetical experiments and/or cloning.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ooh, I just thought of something.

I hope the Dinosaur pokemon of this generation is a T-Rex and a Brachiosaurus

just 'cause

Edit: Your comment reminded me of Jurassic Park

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Ooh, I just thought of something.

I hope the Dinosaur pokemon of this generation is a T-Rex and a Brachiosaurus

just 'cause
these could be the new fossil Pokémon. :awesome:

we need more dinosaur Pokémon. we already have Cranidos, Rampardos, Shieldon, Bastiodon and Aerodactyl, sure, but since there are many species of dinosaurs, they could still make new dinosaur Pokémon based on different species.

I wonder what kinds of Ghost Pokémon will they add... I would like to see an animated armor Pokémon as a Steel/Ghost-type. or a Jack-o'-Lantern Pokémon for Grass/Ghost-type.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I still want my ground/ ghost Marowack evolution

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Xernas and Yveltal are pretty cool names for them.

As for the Event Pokemon, there is a possibility it could be based off Ratatoskr, the horned-squirrel that climbed up and down Yggdrasil to deliver messages between the hawk and wrym underground,

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Come on guys, they're named Yvern and Xcalibur. Obv.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
the legendaries are very cool looking... I will likely be picking Y, because that bird looks awesome... unless X has some exclusive I really want, I will get Y.

also, it's funny to see the massive amount of butthurt in the GameFAQs PS Vita boards.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
@Luco: that Gym with the messy floor, right? It also features the Gym logo from Black / White.

maybe Fennekin will also be Psychic-type? I have seen it using a seemingly Psychic type move... could he be another Pokémon based on the Kitsune of Japanese mythology (tricky foxes with fire and supernatural powers like illusions and other kinds of tricks) like the Vulpix and Zorua lines?
I hope so. But maybe that'd be a bit too similar to Ninetails? Maybe make the final evolution a sort of half fox, half wolf type of Pokemon though? Or make it stand on both legs like Zoroark? Generally, I like the idea of a mix between Zoroak and Nintetails. As well as it being a Psychic type.

Damn, I might actually pick this game up if I get a 3DS one day. Y version it'll be though!

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Speaking of the new legendaries, I have a bit of a brief perspective on what I think their stats could be...

Xerneas

Yveltal

Kinda confused by this, imo from what we have seen the flying one seems to be special based since he seems to be shooting some kind of energy.

Also fro could just mean afro which maybe he will get instead of his powdered wig thing

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
What the ****? Why do they even care? If Nintendo never released the 3DS the Vita would still be having issues selling. It's not appealing to the correct market. Smartphones w/ *** games and DS are what appeals to the majority of handheld gamers. If you're a hardcore gamer it's obvious that Vita is the best handheld in market, but dedicated hardcore gaming handhelds are NOT what most people want.

ON-TOPIC: I will wait for a Gen 3 remake. This doesn't look any better than Gen 5 just because it's in full 3D.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Xerneas

Psychic/Electric

HP: 120
Defense: 130
SP DEF: 130
Speed: 100

Yveltal

Psychic/Dark

HP: 100
Attack: 130
Defense: 100
SP ATK: 130
SP DEF: 100
Speed: 120

Fennekin

Fire

HP: 45
SP DEF: 63
Speed: 45

Chespin

Grass

HP: 45
Defense: 63
SP ATK: 45
SP DEF: 55

Froakie

Water

HP: 63
SP ATK: 55

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
Now that we've transitioned to a new server, I can at least put up some perspectives on my base stat inputs for the starters...

[collapse=Chespin]-------------------------
Chespin

Type: Grass

Attack: 60
SP DEF: 40
Speed: 65
Chespin's first evolution

Defense: 50
SP DEF: 50
Speed: 85
Chespin's second evolution

Attack: 105
SP ATK: 110
SP DEF: 70
Speed: 110

[collapse=Fennekin]-------------------------
Fennekin

Type: Fire

Attack: 35
Speed: 75
Fennekin's first evolution

Defense: 65
SP DEF: 65
Speed: 95
Fennekin's second evolution

Attack: 65
Defense: 85
SP DEF: 85

[collapse=Froakie]-------------------------
Froakie

Type: Water

SP DEF: 60
Speed: 40
Froakie's first evolution

Attack: 70
Defense: 55
SP ATK: 75
SP DEF: 75
Speed: 60
Froakie's second evolution

HP: 90
SP DEF: 105
Speed: 80
i like how you have chespin's values set up though i would give it an even atk and sp. atk and give the 5 points taken away from his sp. atk to either def or special def. also his has great speed as well. im actually hoping he's grass/fighting but if not its ok.

Xerneas

Yveltal

i feel like xerneas would be a physical hitter and yveltal the special hitter.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why do we need a grass Oshawott?

I still wanna know that

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate