• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The next forgotten Hero: Link the Hero of Twilight ultimately revamped

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
tumblr_madlvfS95o1rdzxebo1_r3_500.gif

You know him from Smash bros brawl and Smash bros four so he doesn’t need a introduction.

Why I think this Link should be playable still? Because I don’t think he never reached his true potential,

But lest start with specials ( my tablet going dies so probably going just so this for now)

But let’s start with the bow, remove it for the crossbow from Link’s crossbow training, (not sure on the power and speed yet) but at the moment the one change I do say is let him aim up and down with it.

Bombs, now you could keep them the same and just let him use bomb arrows, or you could also upgrade it to bomblings,

Gale boomerang, I know people hate it but it’s so different from the other boomerangs you must keep it, upgrad it with a fire effect maybe?

Spin attack, when he’s at 0% have it be the great spin attack? Wouldn’t work for a recovery that way though,

Final smash: now I would change it to wolf link, and he would use the attack he kills the shadow beasts with

Now for the normal attacks

I honestly wouldn’t change much, as it would save on development time, but what I would change...

First would be the normal jab combo, it would first start with the shield attack
Shield_Attack.gif
what can knock back projectiles, then over head swipe with the master sword, then finish with a thrust with the master sword

The Forward tilt would be the same as the mortal draw but with out the drawing of the blade
Mortal_Draw.gif

Down smash, now leave it as it is, change it to the couch attack from oot and Zelda II, or Change it to the back slice (just with out rolling behind your opponent)
Back_Slice.gif

Dash attack the same

Forward smash
Jump_Strike.gif

Up smash the same

His aerials would stay the same, but his sides.

His Forward would be replaced with

Helm_Splitter.gif

From the attack Helm splitter, it’s the front flip he does in the air.

His back Air just a shield bash

His grab and throws are the same.
Probably OP but you could upgrade him with a double clawshot, if he fails to grab on to someone he can wait for his Cain to retract back to try again but wait longer if he misses, also can turn around for the second try.

Costumes

118px-Link_Hero%27s_Clothes.png

114px-Link_Zora_Armor.png

118px-Link_Magic_Armor.png

46px-Link_Ordonian_Outfit.png

Misc

Flys In On golden Cusco at the beginning of a match

Taunts

Up is the same

Down is the sumo foot stomp

Side is he casts the fishing pole can damage

Victory poses

1 he plays some hawk grass and calls a hawk to his arm pets it

2 he drinks some great fairy tears and starts to glow, same as young Links taunt in a way

3 have him do his up taut but then he brushes his hands together like he does when he wins a sumo match

Supporters
0 Smashing Doug
1: Guybrush20x6

Attachments

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I would say 4 Links is overkill but we've got that amount of Marths already so...

I don't see it happening but I support.

Great ideas as usual sir smashingDoug smashingDoug ! :) I like this moveset, interesting and definetly more in touch with the source material.

With the arrival of the new Champion Link we'll lose the Hero of Twilight. I support !

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Great ideas as usual sir smashingDoug smashingDoug ! :) I like this moveset, interesting and definetly more in touch with the source material.

With the arrival of the new Champion Link we'll lose the Hero of Twilight. I support !
Actually like the idea? I’m pretty sure I covered every type of attack, in every style, you can do in smash

No hate on the new Link though. As tbh I want eight different styles of Link in Smash

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
TP Link is my favorite but if he were to return in Ultimate then I'd love to see him take Zelda's old down special and allow Link to change into Wolf Form, as well as having Midna ride on him to fill out his specials and grabs. The transform mechanic can replace his up taunt so Link can keep having a down special.

Even though I believe having 5 Links is a bit overkill for Ultimate at least giving his move set a big update with including Wolf Link & Midna would give us a new character to play. Though if Sakurai was going give TP Link the Wolf transformation he would've done it in Brawl or Smash 4. Also Midna being an Assist Trophy is a bit of an obstacle.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
No thanks.

If we are getting a Twilight Princess Link, I’d rather have Wolf Link.

Also, someone mentioned we have 4 Marths. No, we don’t have four Marths. We have four different characters with similar movesets.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
No thanks.

If we are getting a Twilight Princess Link, I’d rather have Wolf Link.

Also, someone mentioned we have 4 Marths. No, we don’t have four Marths. We have four different characters with similar movesets.
What are you talking about? We got Original Marth, Red-headed scamp Marth, Long haired Marth and the new Papa Marth.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather Link (and all the OGs, really) got the Mega Man treatment and acted as more of composites of their whole character history, with elements from a broader range of games. That said, Link might be an exception because of just how many iterations he has.

Still, IMO adding more Links will just alienate the people that want to see the specific Link that they identify with. I'd just keep the current 3 and go for something like this:
  • Implementing some of the Hero’s Shade moves mentioned here into regular Link, either as new moves or aesthetic flourishes/buffs to existing moves. Maybe change some smashes to show off other weapons from the “adult” games - Biggoron dash attack, smash side-B for gale alt., etc.
  • Keep Toon Link as is to wholly represent the classic Smash Link moveset. Maybe change his weight attributes to make him even closer to classic Link for people that really want him in future games. I would give him a Wind Waker Final Smash, though.
  • Expand the definition of Young Link to include the Link seen in LoZ, LttP, OoA/OoS, etc., and revamp him entirely to use more magical artifacts like the fire rod, medallions, masks, etc.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I'd rather Link (and all the OGs, really) got the Mega Man treatment and acted as more of composites of their whole character history, with elements from a broader range of games. That said, Link might be an exception because of just how many iterations he has.

Still, IMO adding more Links will just alienate the people that want to see the specific Link that they identify with. I'd just keep the current 3 and go for something like this:
  • Implementing some of the Hero’s Shade moves mentioned here into regular Link, either as new moves or aesthetic flourishes/buffs to existing moves. Maybe change some smashes to show off other weapons from the “adult” games - Biggoron dash attack, smash side-B for gale alt., etc.
  • Keep Toon Link as is to wholly represent the classic Smash Link moveset. Maybe change his weight attributes to make him even closer to classic Link for people that really want him in future games. I would give him a Wind Waker Final Smash, though.
  • Expand the definition of Young Link to include the Link seen in LoZ, LttP, OoA/OoS, etc., and revamp him entirely to use more magical artifacts like the fire rod, medallions, masks, etc.
That’s seems good having three Links show off multiple games, but it feel cluttered and clunky, maybe confusing as well... I don’t know know Mega man isn’t that great.

Maybe have classic Link become a fifth Link?

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
As it stands, we now have three distinct Links that reference three distinct games. This is in contrast to Zelda, who (as a composite character like Mario) resembles her Link Between Worlds appearance but has moves referencing Ocarina of Time and Spirit Tracks:

- Young Link, who hails from Ocarina of Time, but also references Majora's Mask...and, technically, Twilight Princess (though was not playable and has no moves from it).

- Toon Link, who is distinctly referencing Wind Waker but also appeared in Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

- Link, who is solely referencing Breath of the Wild.

----------------

Of these three, Link is the one who most closely acts like the old Smash Link, so making him return as an Echo Fighter of the same name is hardly anything difficult given the data and properties of Link do not appear to have really changed. Even his old Final Smash is still attached to Toon Link. Slap the two together and change some stuff and he's essentially back. Would I like it to happen? Yes, because I'm a gale bomerang throwing jerk. Is it likely to happen? No.

Something I had pondered before the concept of Echo Fighters, and after playing Hyrule Warriors, was the introduction of character fighting styles. For example, choosing between Classic Ganondorf or a new sword-based one. Returning to Link, being able to choose between BotW and TP Link would have been nice given the differences between the two.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
As it stands, we now have three distinct Links that reference three distinct games. This is in contrast to Zelda, who (as a composite character like Mario) resembles her Link Between Worlds appearance but has moves referencing Ocarina of Time and Spirit Tracks:

- Young Link, who hails from Ocarina of Time, but also references Majora's Mask...and, technically, Twilight Princess (though was not playable and has no moves from it).

- Toon Link, who is distinctly referencing Wind Waker but also appeared in Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

- Link, who is solely referencing Breath of the Wild.

----------------

Of these three, Link is the one who most closely acts like the old Smash Link, so making him return as an Echo Fighter of the same name is hardly anything difficult given the data and properties of Link do not appear to have really changed. Even his old Final Smash is still attached to Toon Link. Slap the two together and change some stuff and he's essentially back. Would I like it to happen? Yes, because I'm a gale bomerang throwing jerk. Is it likely to happen? No.

Something I had pondered before the concept of Echo Fighters, and after playing Hyrule Warriors, was the introduction of character fighting styles. For example, choosing between Classic Ganondorf or a new sword-based one. Returning to Link, being able to choose between BotW and TP Link would have been nice given the differences between the two.
Yes! instead of custom moves have different movesets

I think

Quillion

Smash Hero
This is going to be quite a bump, but I want TP Link to be in Ultimate, though as an echo of current Link. Yeah, 4 Links may sound like overkill, but people like the old adult designs, and not only is TP Link a different person from BotW Link, their animations are about as different as Dark Samus is from Samus.

...but they need to throw in OoT Link as an alt while they're at it. Best case scenario, they can also throw in Classic Link and have Classic Link be the default while TP and OoT are alts.

Top Bottom