• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
Good ideas, guys, thanks. Also, I ran this morning. While it wasn't far, at least I'm doing something instead of sitting on my lazy ass. Going to run again tomorrow morning and Thursday and Friday and... You get the picture. Saturday will be a rest day, and maybe Sunday.

Good news also for this week: tomorrow and Thursday I will be attending the car auction with my cousin, so we will be running around a lot. Good exercise without "exercising" if you know what I mean.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Past two weeks changed up shoulder/traps day to arms/traps day. My delts grow really fast, like to the point that my overhead presses are close to my bench. >.>

So yeah, looking like a living Varia suit is not cool, gotta hit dose arms to level them out, along with chest. :/

Feels good to do more curlz for the girlz though.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Curlz for the gurlz. That's the Teran motto.

I have put on one pound in one week. I guess newbie gains + proper dieting so far is working out. If I didn't hold a 18% BF, I wouldn't hesitate to eat more, cause I do get hungry at times.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Having just returned from Asia after two weeks, my weight's crept up a tiny, tiny bit (like a pound or two), so need to get that sorted out!

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Is it bad how much I hate Back/Bicep day? I hate to be THAT guy, but I'm kinda going for looks more than strength, which has just come naturally with repeated lifts.

I find Back exercises to be be tedious overall. I especially hate one-arm rows. I like doing Bicep workouts because I actually feel a difference in my physique after I do them.

Sorry for ranting/complaining.

By the way, S7GF, what's your current routine? Just curious.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
Is it bad how much I hate Back/Bicep day? I hate to be THAT guy, but I'm kinda going for looks more than strength, which has just come naturally with repeated lifts.

I find Back exercises to be be tedious overall. I especially hate one-arm rows. I like doing Bicep workouts because I actually feel a difference in my physique after I do them.

I don't really have an exercise "routine" since I don't go to the gym. I mainly just run in the morning. The distance varies, but I know I can do 3 miles. I figure that once I lose these last 10 lbs, since I am overweight, I can get a routine and stricter diet then to further sculpt my body.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Having just returned from Asia after two weeks, my weight's crept up a tiny, tiny bit (like a pound or two), so need to get that sorted out!
Everytime I go to Pakistan, I get constant stomach bugs and aches. If I go there for a month, I probably lose about 3-5 lbs lol.

I don't really have an exercise "routine" since I don't go to the gym. I mainly just run in the morning. The distance varies, but I know I can do 3 miles. I figure that once I lose these last 10 lbs, since I am overweight, I can get a routine and stricter diet then to further sculpt my body.
So long as you are not overly eating below maintenance, you should be good. I think a health amount to lose is .5-1 lb per week. This isn't Extreme Weight Loss.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988

Don't listen to the "functional" strength militant crap, the majority of guys really only work out to look good. Even if it isn't immediately apparent in a physique, they're still doing it for the ego of strength, which is also a part of looking good. There is no such thing as functinonal strength in the 21st century, except the strength to walk up and down stairs, and lift a potato chip to your mouth. That's all you need.

Anyway, part of why you might not be enjoying your back workout is because you've not actually made a good muscle/mind connection with your back, namely your lats. Try flexing them a whole bunch for this week, just work on knowing they're there, then try some exercises at the gym and flex your lats right as you start, just focusing on them. The first day you do this, the next day you will feel a soreness you've never felt before, because you'll have actually properly activated them. In the future weeks, you'll see yourself moving a lot more weight too, just because you've made that connection. It feels a lot more fun when you can actually feel a pump.

Try these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjCCGN2tU3Q

and lat pulldowns with this attachment:

http://newjohn.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/v-bar.jpg

And remember, there's nothing wrong with training aesthetics.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Today was the best of all days:

Arm day.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
So swim season starts tomorrow, guys! I'm down to about 13% body fat with a weight of 147 and a height of 5' 11".

My goal is to get to 160, but I think that's gonna be rough with two-a-days two times a week. It sucks when your strength goes up, but you don't look much different. I'm a shallow piece of ****.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
So swim season starts tomorrow, guys! I'm down to about 13% body fat with a weight of 147 and a height of 5' 11".

My goal is to get to 160, but I think that's gonna be rough with two-a-days two times a week. It sucks when your strength goes up, but you don't look much different. I'm a shallow piece of ****.
Just drop your bodyfat to 10 and you'll look much bigger.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
:glare:..............................Stress fractures suck! I don't know 100% if I have one on my right fibula, but I think I might. I haven't ran in 7 days, but it feels soo much longer than that. I've been able to walk, along with going up and down steps just fine, but when I start to run I get a limp and just can't get things going. It doesn't hurt to run all that much, but I'm just limited in how fast I can go. I just have one spot near my fibula that when I press down on it with my fingers I get a pain response. Very frustrating. Hopefully this goes away soon because I'm going crazy! I really don't want to wait 4-6 weeks, which is the typical time for a stress fracture to heal, but if I must, then that's what it is.

Is there anything I can do to help speed things up from a nutritional standpoint? I've been taking in a lot more dairy the past few days. I had about 5 bowls of Rice Chex cereal today. I'm not sure if binging on calcium is going to help, but I hope it does something. I was told to get in a hot tub to increase the circulation of blood flow to the spot, but unfortunately I don't have access to one because my local YMCA doesn't have a hot tub.

EDIT 1: I'm feeling much better as of today. I did about a 25-30 yard slight dash and I feel like my running motion is just about back. I was looking up leg muscles to stretch to help make them stronger. I came across one about the soleus, which is a calf muscle. This stretch helped a lot, for I just bent my knees down to the point of being in line with my toes and then pushed up and down on my toes at the edge of a step. perhaps it was just a muscle soreness that led to a bruise? I don't know. Going to take two more days off and then run 3-5 miles with a friend on Thursday evening. At least I'm on the up and up.

Bottom line: The lesson I learned from all this is to learn what muscles there are and then work on strengthening them. I'm going to learn as much as possible about every possible leg muscle and see what can be done to make each stronger. Injuries suck. Granted I ran a lot more mileage than my body is used to, but I strongly believe I could have prevented this with some leg strengthening/better nutrition.

EDIT 2: I'm good to go again! I just have to go less intense and with a little less miles for the next 1-2 weeks. Not only am I back, but much wiser now as well. I've been stretching/strengthening different leg muscles I've never stretched before and I'm getting better nutrition as well. It feels good to be running again, kind of like a long lost friend or something.....I don't know.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I've checked my body fat yesterday. Haven't done it since high school/high school jr so I don't have a recent comparision to do but it's a huge decrease from back then. 20.6 seems like a good number.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I've checked my body fat yesterday. Haven't done it since high school/high school jr so I don't have a recent comparision to do but it's a huge decrease from back then. 20.6 seems like a good number.
Nice! I remember back in High School when I was in gym class when the Phys. Ed teacher did the National Fitness Test. Similar to you, that was the last time I had mine checked as well. There was also stretching tests, pullups, and a few more. I was bad at stretching, and 10 years later I still am.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Stretching sucks. Like... the fact that I'm a swimmer should make me flexible, right? Nahhhhhhh. I can't touch my toes, dawg.

Also, my shoulders and knees hurt so ****ing much.

D

Deleted member

hi, im trying to fix my posture from being a ****ing nerd and sitting at the computer too much, what in ur opinion is the best way to go about it, are there any specific exercises you recommend or will generally working out my body be OK also

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
hi, im trying to fix my posture from being a ****ing nerd and sitting at the computer too much, what in ur opinion is the best way to go about it, are there any specific exercises you recommend or will generally working out my body be OK also
Buy one of the swiss balls, this big bouncy things, sit on that instead of your regular chair. Helped me a lot.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
So I recently have been struggling to find a good place in my diet. I eat roughly 1500-1600 calories a day. However I recently calculated my TDEE and it came to 3132. This blew my mind. I am eating well under my required calories to lose weight. Can someone please check my numbers and make sure I am right.

I am male, 5 foot 11, roughly 205 lbs, and am 23 years old. So that means if I calculate my BMR it's 2088.45.

I work an office job from Monday to Friday and lift moderate to heavy weight at least 5 times a week and do roughly 30 minutes of cardio on lifting days and off days.
That being said I gave myself an actively level of 1.5.

So once I do the math it's 2088.45*1.5=3132.675 meaning if I want to lose weight I need to eat 2632.675 calories a day? This completely shocks me and makes me question myself. I've been struggling with weight loss for the past 2 years going from 325 lbs back in 2012 to 205 lbs now in 2013.

Honestly I'm terrified to eat more than I already do because I don't want to go back to the person I was. Any insight would be extremely appreciated.

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
Measurement and weight update:

5' 4.9" 23% bodyfat, 147 lbs. Working off the 25 lbs I gained in the past 11 months.

39in bust, 33in waist, 39in hips (OMFG I'M A B-CUP NOW ASDF)
6in wrist, 9in forearm, calves 14in, thighs 23in

Not 100% accurate but hard to get accurate reading with so much loose skin.

1300kcal, 20g net carbs, 65% calories from fat, the rest from protein. Meals are looking like...

breakfast eggs+pork/beef, some whole milk sour cream, some pico de gallo, low carb tortilla. usually ends up being like a 600kcal meal because I have like 2 servings of this. :3

Lunch pork loin. usually ends up being the last meal of the day. I'm lazy

Dinner is usually random and based on how hungry I am. Usually ends up being skipped and I end up eating like 800kcal instead of my target 1300.

should exercise more. been walking again, biking too.

also i learned that when i was 250+ lbs my ribcage got deformed. a bunch of fat grew in to the ribcage area and made it jut out and up at a 45 degree angle. would corsetting correct this?

So I recently have been struggling to find a good place in my diet. I eat roughly 1500-1600 calories a day. However I recently calculated my TDEE and it came to 3132. This blew my mind. I am eating well under my required calories to lose weight. Can someone please check my numbers and make sure I am right.

I am male, 5 foot 11, roughly 205 lbs, and am 23 years old. So that means if I calculate my BMR it's 2088.45.

I work an office job from Monday to Friday and lift moderate to heavy weight at least 5 times a week and do roughly 30 minutes of cardio on lifting days and off days.
That being said I gave myself an actively level of 1.5.

So once I do the math it's 2088.45*1.5=3132.675 meaning if I want to lose weight I need to eat 2632.675 calories a day? This completely shocks me and makes me question myself. I've been struggling with weight loss for the past 2 years going from 325 lbs back in 2012 to 205 lbs now in 2013.

Honestly I'm terrified to eat more than I already do because I don't want to go back to the person I was. Any insight would be extremely appreciated.
You should be eating more because you're such a heavily active person.... ON PAPER.

Do you feel hungry at the end of the day? BadGuy gave me the best advice in the world, "Eat until you're not hungry anymore." If you're eating 1500-1600 and physically/mentally satisfied, more power to you. I eat roughly 800kcal which is considered medically dangerous for my body. Do I care? NO, I feel great. :3c

Also remember kcal is only a unit of energy. WHAT you eat and what your body does with it far outweighs how much you eat. If you're looking to burn fat, Keto is always the best option.

Am I the only person who vehemently hates targeted lifts? If you hate the tedium, just do 5x5 or a similar program and be about your day. I don't understand the point of these types of exercises when the olympic bar exists. Cut out the extra exercises and do one that hits a bunch of muscles at once.

CommunistWillyWonka

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to gain some weight and gain some muscle. As an ectomorph it is freaking hard to eat over 1500+ calories and not gain a single pound but I'm guessing if I eat around 2000 or so plus workout and take some Mutant Mass protein shakes that will help. I used to work out in high school and ever since starting first year of university I've gotten lazy so that's my New Years Resolution. My goal is to go from 125lbs to around maybe 140-145.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
NeverKnowsBest, as Mizuki says it's also what you're eating. What's your diet consist mostly of? Protein? Carbs? Figure out how those effect your body, and what your body responds to.

The holiday season is already hitting me hard, have popped up a kilo or two in the past month and a bit, but now that I have some time off from my internship (which I'm still doing on top of my current work), I definitely plan to be at the gym a bit more.

Also got some new gym pants which I'm in love with which is helping with the motivation c: And my gym got TRX trainers in! Was so sad when I moved gyms that this one didn't have any. Yayayayay! <3

New pantssss <3

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Am I the only person who vehemently hates targeted lifts? If you hate the tedium, just do 5x5 or a similar program and be about your day. I don't understand the point of these types of exercises when the olympic bar exists. Cut out the extra exercises and do one that hits a bunch of muscles at once.

You are completely right. There's no denying the importance of compound lifts, and they will always be a part of my routine. I literally only do isolated exercises because my biceps are a problem area, as are my triceps and calves.

It's all psychological, at least in my opinion. I feel so much more satisfied after a workout when I do a few bicep curls or a few calf raises.

I could do more Lat Pulldowns and more pull-ups, but they don't give me the satisfaction I'm looking for. I lift for looks and to relieve stress.

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
NeverKnowsBest, as Mizuki says it's also what you're eating. What's your diet consist mostly of? Protein? Carbs? Figure out how those effect your body, and what your body responds to.

The holiday season is already hitting me hard, have popped up a kilo or two in the past month and a bit, but now that I have some time off from my internship (which I'm still doing on top of my current work), I definitely plan to be at the gym a bit more.

Also got some new gym pants which I'm in love with which is helping with the motivation c: And my gym got TRX trainers in! Was so sad when I moved gyms that this one didn't have any. Yayayayay! <3

New pantssss <3
;_; i jelly of your body. Keeping myself below 140 is freaking difficult. I also hate how much of a tank I am in the upper body area. Shoulders and rib cage are horribly deformed. ;_;

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Last time I weighted myself, I was 175.4. Now I'm 176.4. I'm sorry guys. In N Out was so tempting...

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Currently taking a semester off from college and want to use the opportunity to get as fit as I've ever been.

I have a workout plan and everything that looks great... Only issue is taking that first step and going to the gym since I haven't been to one in forever so I have no idea what I'm doing in terms of how to properly use the equipment, proper form, etc. If I had a friend I could go with for the first couple of times to show me the ropes I'd be in good shape, but the idea of walking in a gym for the first time without any idea about how to properly do anything makes me nervous.

I'll be running regardless. Ran a mile and a half yesterday without struggle, so that's a start. ^.^

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
helloooooo

I wish I would have taken some before pics but ive been working out for about 6 months now and have put on around 15 pounds of muscle, going from weighing 120 to 135-140 in that time. I did it all with p90x and normally id say ew to videos but man it really worked haha. I may post some pics since now that im toned im working on getting more size and stuff. glad a thread like this exists!

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Oh hey. I was 220 pounds in September 4th of last year, and as of now I'm at around 160 pounds. I have been sticking to martial arts and will continue to do so, and i'm going to try strength training this semester to gain some muscle. I'll post pics later. :D

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
So I recently renewed my gym membership for two more months and I learned that my gym will now be open 24/7. I'm so hyped. I'm tired of trying to make it to the gym before closing time.

Sal

Smash Rookie
So I recently renewed my gym membership for two more months and I learned that my gym will now be open 24/7. I'm so hyped. I'm tired of trying to make it to the gym before closing time.
Lucky, the gym here closes at 11 pm. I guess it doesn't matter much for me though, as I go to the gym after work at about 5 pm.
Still, lucky!

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I'm soo glad the weather will have a high of 50 degrees today where I live. It has been a major hassle trying to run with the snow and ice this winter.

Grandeza

Smash Master
Been lifting for a little over 6 months since starting college. Was on some stupid routine for the first 5 months or so but now on Starting Strength. Unimpressive lifts atm are 145x6 bench, 175x6 squat and 195x5 deadlift @ 145 lbs. Hoping to hit 315x1 on deadlift by the time school ends, maybe 165x5 on bench and something around 225-250x5 on squat.

Bought adipowers a couple weeks ago and god they are so sexy and make my squats feel so much better.

Edit- Ha I remember I posted in this thread when I was 16 saying I was going to start working out, really wish I made good on that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom