• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moochero

Smash Cadet
Just going to post this here.

If anyone wants to play in the sketchy-canker laden-socially withdrawn-inspiration draining city of klamath falls at a sketchy messy house where I "swear to god it was clean yesterday" please feel free to hit me up.

bring malt liquor
2spooky4me

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
So, it is more than a full week after the tournament in Corvallis, and I only just recently managed to put up some videos. Sorry for the huge delay, I ended up getting caught up with other things. Please take note that some people were drinking (I wasn't, I'm just bad), and don't hold results against them too much.

The bracket is available at:

http://challonge.com/Corvallis

The videos are available at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/CorvallisMelee

Please tell someone in Corvallis if you have a problem with a tag, want a video removed, etc.

Also, I heard discussions of a new PR are going on, so I'll share my thoughts if anyone is interested. I think it should go something like:

1 Eggz
2 Foos
3 Fat Goku
4 Bird
5 Bart
6 Adam
7 J!zzard
8 KeithReptar
9 Joseideon
10 Nikabod

Hard to say for sure since tournaments are so rare (and often don't represent the bottom half of the PR due to seeding), who doesn't have results due to low sample size, and who doesn't have results because they aren't beating enough people. I just went with my perception of skill on the areas that I was unsure about.

This list is also assuming Brick and No U are considered inactive. Omitted self.

Edit: after I had time to think about my list, I tweaked 9/10. Maybe I'm biased though.

Last edited:

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
Doesn't Jarod have better results than Nikabod?

Edit: Slurpletuce do you know how to post the tournament results so that each player can link their smashboards account to the result?

Last edited:

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I'm not really sure on results either way. I heard Jarod did really well at the Eugene tournament, and I know Jarod did better at the tournament I held recently.

That is where me just going with my gut comes in I guess. Jarod would definitely be a strong addition to the PR.

The bracket has been uploaded to smashboards.

http://smashboards.com/rankings/ffc2.2400/event

I doubt anyone is against me uploading it, because nobody really cares that much about smashboards rankings, so I did it.

Last edited:

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
So with a PR discussion coming up soon/in progress, I wanted to address an issue I've seen in Oregon. People keep bringing up tournament placement to compare skill. I think this comes from a general misunderstanding of what a tournament represents. Brackets will only accurately represent skill across a large sample size. They are not a good way to evaluate skill when we have 5-10 a year...

I made a 'dummy bracket' to demonstrate the inaccuracy of bracket placements. This bracket assumes no upsets will happen, and that top 4 are seeded accurately. Lower numbers always win.

http://challonge.com/Demo_top4_seeded

As you can see, the closer the results are to the seeded players, the more accurate they are. Players just outside the seeded area can get dead last, and players can get really high in the non-seeded area by an easier bracket. Although the more extreme results (7th best player getting dead last as shown in the example), are more rare.

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
In summary:
Seeding is very important for accurate tournament results.
People should pay more attention to who played who rather than placement numbers.

EDIT: The PR on the first page still has Kazuki. That guy is a legend.

Last edited:

Tempa

Smash Rookie
What tournaments are going on in portland these days? Haven't been here in forever.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I'll be running a tournament on October 18th, 2014. The tournament will be at the McNary Dining Hall at Oregon State University. The venue is being rented out by the Oregon State Gaming Club, and they have a ton of seats allocated for console gaming. The tournament will start and have registration at 6 at Salvadoc's place, and then when the venue opens at 8 we will move there. The tournament will likely run pretty late. My apologies to anybody who I told it would be on Saturday. I was told the venue would be reserved for Friday and Saturday, but the venue closes 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, so it must be run on Friday night.

The address is:
1300 SW Jefferson Ave
Corvallis, OR 97330

Schedule:
Registration - 6:00 p.m.
Melee Doubles - 8:00 p.m.
Melee Singles - 9:00 p.m.

You register at the door, but you can also pay venue online if you would like:
http://www.lanreg.org/osugaming/ml9

The tournament will be run using the standard ruleset used in Oregon (GG ruleset, thanks to Ryan Jacobson):
Bracket: Double Elimination
Games: Best of 3
Upper\Lower Finals & Grand Finals: Best of 5
SSBM Rules
4 Stock
8 Min time limit
Pause off
Items off/none
Team attack on
Wobbling Legal
DSR: You cannot counterpick any stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.

Stage Strike from Neutrals for the first match of the set in “1221" fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes the next two stages.
3. First player strikes one stage

Stage List:

Singles Nuetrals: Battlefield, Dreamland, Yoshi's Story, Fountain Of Dreams, and Final Destination
Singles Counterpick: Pokemon Stadium
Doubles Nuetrals: Battlefield, Dreamland, Yoshi's Story, Final Destination, and Pokemon Stadium

After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban (except in best-of-5 sets)
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character

Convulsion

Smash Rookie
NNID
ToxicCocktail
3DS FC
0576-3737-3358
Oregon: Completely irrelevant since the 1800s. Our main exports include sporting wear, Hydroflasks, and white people with dreadlocks.

Xenon_

Smash Rookie
I'm considering moving to Oregon, but I mostly play PM, so how often do Oregon events have PM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom