• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Smash Switch Mechanic

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Every Smash game released has introduced at least 1 new mechanic to mix things up a bit:
Melee: Airdodging, Side-Bs
Brawl: Gliding, Tripping (Nooooo!)
Smash 4: Rage

What do you think the new mechanic(s) will be for Smash Switch?

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Hard to predict, i could see final smashes being integrated into a meter system for all characters that fill up throughout the match but i hope this isn't the case..

I do want to see gliding back though, dunno why they decided it was unfair really. Maybe with a fuel system like ROB's Up B so you can't fly forever and stall on some stages.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
I also want gliding back, but it only benefits 3 characters: Pit, Charizard, and most notoriously Meta Knight. One of Meta Knight's nerfs in Smash 4 was the removal of his air-camping ability. With gliding back, Meta Knight would be really annoying to play against.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I also want gliding back, but it only benefits 3 characters: Pit, Charizard, and most notoriously Meta Knight. One of Meta Knight's nerfs in Smash 4 was the removal of his air-camping ability. With gliding back, Meta Knight would be really annoying to play against.
What about corrin and potentially M2?

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Smash 4 also added ledge trumping as a main mechanic.

I really like the idea of Final Smashes becoming a main part of gameplay, as a MvC style super meter rather than a ball.

What if, furthering this idea, we could summon (balanced) assist trophies similar to how you do in MvC when you tap the character switch button and Pokkéns assists?

This of course wouldn't replace the wild and frantic ones you get from the actual assist trophy item, just adding something additionally.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
I only remember Metaknight being able to camp the ledges in Brawl, but maybe you're right about that.

Btw, for gliding we also have Palutena now! BotW Link with paraglider could be cool as well, or Toon Link with Deku Leaf.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I only remember Metaknight being able to camp the ledges in Brawl, but maybe you're right about that.

Btw, for gliding we also have Palutena now! BotW Link with paraglider could be cool as well, or Toon Link with Deku Leaf.
In brawl you had the ability to glide upwards...Paragliders don't go upwards

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight could camp everywhere, even right next to the opponent. Since his Dair was much bigger in Brawl, you could jump while using Dair and force you opponent to stay in shield. It was really broken and Zero, Nairo, and Mew2King used it a lot.
I would like to see Palutena, BOTW Link, and Toon Link glide though. TL may keep his whirlwind sword for the sake of them not being total clones.

As for Corrin and Mewtwo, if Mewtwo's Fair remains how it is in Smash 4, he would be a monster in the air. Corrin would be as well, with disjointed aerial spacing like MK had in Brawl.

Last edited:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
splendid...
Hah... Online play would become full of Fair-spamming Mewtwo mains. It would be worse than the Bayos and Clouds overrunning For Glory.

My new mechanic would be Diagonal Specials. While it makes the game slightly less accessible for newcomers, it would deepen the gameplay so much. I would make these Diagonal Special more like poking moves so that people would still be able to play without them, but with them, they can extend combos, poke at shields, and edgeguard. The closest thing in Smash 4 to this would be Corrin's Pin.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
I would rather see Mewtwo's Bair be buffed. A fast Bair would cover Mewtwo's blindspot behind him.

This brings me to my next point. Instead of nerfing characters, I would rather buff other characters to match the strength of the top tiers. It would make Smash 5 more balanced than Smash 4 in the long run.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I would rather see Mewtwo's Bair be buffed. A fast Bair would cover Mewtwo's blindspot behind him.

This brings me to my next point. Instead of nerfing characters, I would rather buff other characters to match the strength of the top tiers. It would make Smash 5 more balanced than Smash 4 in the long run.
YES, PLEASE.
Time to sound like a kid sitting on a mall Santa's lap during december
I want Kirby, Wario, Villager, Ness, Bowser Jr, and Dedede buffed.
If Kirby or Wario or Villager were top tier, hell even just solid top 15, I would drop every one of my mains aside from possibly Mewtwo, just to main them.
Dude all Kirby needs is Mario air speed, faster aerial frame data, and slightly bigger hitboxes and he's good to go, could use a more extensive combo game though..
All wario needs is better hitboxes and safer kill power like his fellow heavies.
All villager needs is a much faster (like frame 8 or less) grab, maybe a better combo game, and safer kill options, make dtilt and utilt safer on shield, make ftilt kill, or make jab lead into dtilt or utilt. Alternatively you could make fsmash like 5 frames or so faster but that would actually break him a little bit, you wouldn't be able to punish it out of shield.

I fixed them all

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Smash 3DS / Wii U also utilized a more efficient Autolink system, which enables certain looping hitboxes to connect properly with their targets. Brawl's Autolink mechanics had notable flaws that made it not too reliable.

GameGod2973

Smash Cadet
descending as in holding the jump button will cause the character to float down slowly like peach's parasol and palutena's jump glide

Last edited:
I cannot say for sure but I would predict it is something to do with the ledge. With Melee and Brawl they a ton of work on the air, causing some wacky products like SFFLing and Wavedashing in melee; as well as Meta's crazy air prowess and the great zard glide. But it seems like they used two games to "fix" the air, and now they will use two games to "fix" the the most important part of the stage.

Zimer

Smash Apprentice
For next smash I'd like edge grab mechanic from Brawl and elimination of footstools. This ruins many attempts from my side for scoring.

Jibblypuff_

Supposed to be studying
Switch FC
SW 2726 7422 0030
I kind of want Final Smashes to stay the way they are. It'd be interesting if they just introduced an entirely new "Super" mechanic or something.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think the new mechanic would address something that was a problem in the last game.

They removed chain grabbing and ledge hogging in 4 to remove cheaper feeling defeats.

I'm thinking some kinda combo escape mechanic but without meter I don't know how to implement it.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Maybe smash aerials for some characters could be cool, Robin already introduced it in a basic form

For an example Mario would keep his current tornado Dair as usual, but if you did a smash Dair you would instead do a ground pound

Not for all aerials of course but could have cool applications

laces

Smash Cadet
Meters fill me with anxiety.

I've heard the idea of air grabs float around. That could be cool. Missing could send you into free fall.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Meters fill me with anxiety.

I've heard the idea of air grabs float around. That could be cool. Missing could send you into free fall.
The combos with air grabs could be really hype especially if you would be able to throw the opponent down lol

Free fall would be a good way to keep it from being abused especially offstage, nice idea.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I hated gliding, I'd be fine with certain characters having it as an attack, but as an additional mechanic not so much. Would like to see footstools disappear too but I know both are unpopular opinions.

I want all aerials to have generous autocancel frames. No L-cancelling, just straight autcancelling the attack. Ledge cancels returning would be ideal as well. I'd also like it if stall-then-fall aerials was a thing of the past.

I'd like to see wavedashing return as a specific option, mapped to a singular button as well, probably L.

I want directional airdodging back, but I don't want it to send you into a freefall after. Still only able to do it one time though. I don't like how safe it feels to be offstage in Smash 4.

Ledge mechanics are tricky. I hate the huge magnet hands Smash 4 has, and want that dramatically reduced. I like that you have to make it back to the stage to renew your ledgegrab invincibilty. Don't really have a preference to either ledge hogging, or trumping, wouldn't mind if you could grab the ledge whenever without trumping either.

Also want ground to air momentum to return. Double jump cancelling too, or some tweaked form of it.

I'd also like it if characters with aerial tethers could use them to get around the stage. Like be able to angle them to hit the ground, and it drags the character to the area the same way it does to the ledge.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
I would like to see smash aerials, I'm a Wrastor main in Rivals of Aether, and he has Smash Aerials. Smash Aerials would be a nice addition to Smash 5.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I would like to see smash aerials, I'm a Wrastor main in Rivals of Aether, and he has Smash Aerials. Smash Aerials would be a nice addition to Smash 5.
I still think it'd be cool if done like RoA, and keep it exclusive to a character. Ray 01 would be a great character to have Smash aerials

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
I'm a big Rayman fan. I've beat Legends quite a few times. Rayman would also work with the glide mechanic.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'm a big Rayman fan. I've beat Legends quite a few times. Rayman would also work with the glide mechanic.
He would glide differently than the Brawl gliding though. It'd be more like Peach descending with her parasol.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
What's pfp?
Means picture for proof, which is pretty much your status. Under my name it says the corny line, "So premium, you can't even handle it". You can only change it when you're a premium member of the site, which I am no longer.

Top Bottom