• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Scottish Thread!

ShiftingShadows28

Smash Journeyman
Hello all! Interested in playing super smash bros. melee? Super Street Fighter 4 AE? Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3? Live in Edinburgh or just passing through?

Then come along to Rushdown Edinburgh fight nights at the pear tree/counting house! We meet every week on a Wednesday starting from 6:30 pm, ending around midnight.

Details:

36 W Nicolson Street Edinburgh, EH8
Enter the fire escape type doors with ‘Counting house’ painted on them, go up the stairs, then through the right hand door. Continue walking forward towards the room full of gamers and our very own bar!

Hope to see you there!

Kone

Smash Master
Why arent scotland making EDentines? Im calling you lot out. Midlands vs Scotland crew match...friday night at the salty shack. Just the midlands of england no london. Bet you guys cant even handle that!

ShiftingShadows28

Smash Journeyman
Sup Kone! Great to hear from you! I personally cannot make it due uni overload T.T
However I have been getting some new interest for melee in scotland by infiltrating the 2D FGC ;) finally got some interest rolling after all this time lol

gosick

Smash Rookie
Sup guys, I'm Gosick, I'm an icies/Kirby main in melee and a zss main in brawl and I'll hopefully gonna start coming to tournaments near my area soon. (basically in and around fife.)

Hope to see some of you guys soon.

p.s - is there any place I can go weekly or monthly e.t.c. to play/train with other players, I'm pretty new and need a lot of practice :)

Last edited:

Mr P

Smash Ace
Sup guys, I'm Gosick, I'm an icies/Kirby main in melee and a zss main in brawl and I'll hopefully gonna start coming to tournaments near my area soon. (basically in and around fife.)

Hope to see some of you guys soon.

p.s - is there any place I can go weekly or monthly e.t.c. to play/train with other players, I'm pretty new and need a lot of practice :)
Join the smash scotland facebook group to find local players https://www.facebook.com/groups/194535274054492/

Groudon_sama

Smash Rookie
NNID
BigMo98
3DS FC
2552-1642-2026
Anything sm4sh related happening in Edinburgh any time soon? If so let me know, we need to get the smash community together in Scotland at the very least too xD

BSXDrayden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BladeSatoshiX
I'm really excited for Smash Beyond the Wall 3! It'll be my first real Smash 4 tournament.

StrawHatter

Smash Rookie
Beyond the Wall 3 tomorrow! If you need a place to park, there is a university building a 10 second walk from the venue so you could park there I suppose if you need to.

BSXDrayden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BladeSatoshiX
I had great fun at Beyond the Wall! I didn't make it past pools but it was a fantastic learning experience and the grand finals rocked

Titch

Smash Rookie
NNID
stayselected
3DS FC
4210-5405-1951
Hey folks! Just popping by to say hi-had the account for a while but never really used it, really wanting to Smash a bit more though. Went to a couple Melee competitions at Edinburgh Uni a few years back with my brother, and sucked miserably as any teen-scrub would!
Interest in serious play faded a bit later in high school, but here I am out of education and finding myself drawn straight back to Smash, as any person with a soul would.
So yeah, hey!

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Hey folks! Just popping by to say hi-had the account for a while but never really used it, really wanting to Smash a bit more though. Went to a couple Melee competitions at Edinburgh Uni a few years back with my brother, and sucked miserably as any teen-scrub would!
Interest in serious play faded a bit later in high school, but here I am out of education and finding myself drawn straight back to Smash, as any person with a soul would.
So yeah, hey!
Along with that, there's weekly friendlies for Melee in Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Check out this for Edinburgh - https://www.facebook.com/rushdown.edinburgh?fref=ts
And just go to the Smash Scotland Facebook page for the Glasgow friendlies. Just message me if you have any questions, I'm quite closely involved with a lot of this.

ShiftingShadows28

Smash Journeyman
Hey Titch, out of interest what tournaments did you attend at Edinburgh Uni a few years back? I was most likely running them or there at the events haha!

Apart from that these guys have it covered with the info.

Last edited:

Titch

Smash Rookie
NNID
stayselected
3DS FC
4210-5405-1951
Joined up to the facebook pages so that's all a gogo! Need to have a proper mosey over them to find out when I'm free for friendlies, but it'd be awesome to get back into some regular smashing!

Hey Titch, out of interest what tournaments did you attend at Edinburgh Uni a few years back? I was most likely running them or there at the events haha!

Apart from that these guys have it covered with the info.
I remember two that I went to pretty well, I think I had to bring my cube to the first one. It was in Teviot, up the top of one of the spiral staircases to the right when you go in, in a room with a bucket load of windows. I remember that one the most 'cause it was the longest one.
The second one, I can't remember if it was a torunament or not, very well may have been friendlies down in the basement at Pleasance.
Sorry for vagueness, but my memory is a bit foggy 'cause it was a while ago now. I was brought along with my brother Cheese (Kirby main) who studied in Appleton at the time if that helps at all for time placement!

ShiftingShadows28

Smash Journeyman
HYPESPOTTING V MELEE DETAILS + SIGNUP PUSH

This year's hypespotting is now only a month away and approaching fast. Pre-registration will be closing 25/03 so don't miss out. (If you want to sign up and still haven't yet, go here: http://www.hypespotting.co.uk/registration/).

Melee has a 64 man cap. The plan is to run double elimination pools for the first portion of Saturday and to wittle down the competitors to top 8 in the second portion of the day. Top 8 will be played on Sunday.

We hosted melee last year as a side tournament with great success. We are hoping to have even more support this year from the community! Hypespotting is a great weekend, with an immense atmosphere. It is a great opportunity to get hype over a variety of top fighting games and meet some world class fighting game personalities. There is even the renowned video games pub quiz on Saturday night with prizes to be won!

HaoTwo
Ac_Annon
Maskless
TimeMuffinPhD
Phade
ShiftingShadows
Endeby (Nor)

Shout out to TimeMuffinPhD who has volunteered his stream/recording equipment for the event.

Finally, if teams is ran this year, it may not be ran at the traditional time before singles. Since singles is the only registered main tournament, teams will be classed as a side tournament and we will have to find time for it some time over the weekend.

Hope to see you all there, cheers.

FB event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1710826952466138/

Titch

Smash Rookie
NNID
stayselected
3DS FC
4210-5405-1951
TL;DWTR

Hey Scottish peoples!
It's the guy from two years ago that never ended up doing anything!

To be fair, I was a poor sod then so I don't feel too guilty about being unable to travel. And I'm sadly busy Thursday nights, so Rushdown is always an impossibility... But I've been busy since 2015! Because I couldn't afford to go compete anywhere, I got into the idea of hosting tournaments instead. Myself and a group of friends started a late night quarterly event in Edinburgh, early 2016, called Fight Night.

Hosting a range of fighting games and featuring Smash 4 as main event, the night was received pretty well! It evolved over time, shifting away from just the fighting genre and onto a whole range of games, with the focus moving to competitive gaming in general. However, with my constant barrading, Smash has remained the Main Event!
We had a load of hassle with the venue and other standard nonsense over the last year but I'm glad to say we've moved out of the seedy, dingy bar that we were stuck in for the last year and we're moving in to Teviot Underground on 31st March for our first event of the year!
It's going to be a massive step up from last year, not just in terms of venue but also competition and available content. We're not only having a Smash 4 tournament from 20:00 to 22:15, we're following it up with our first ever Melee tournament kicking off at 22:30! So, I present:

Fight Night V

Main Event Players will compete in a private booth, each with their own headphones and a screen to share between them. Whilst they get to put their full focus into their play, spectators will be able to view the main event from any part of the venue, as it will be projected onto the massive back wall - visible from downstairs and the balcony level above!
Prize pools are currently sitting at around £50 per game, with physical prizes also awarded to those who place in the top three. These pools are set to rise depending on interest in the event.

Some of the other systems will have their own competitive events running throughout the entire night, with hundreds of pounds of cash and prizes up for grabs across a range of games. For details on the Main Events, or any of the other stations we'll be running, please refer to the event page on facebook.

I'm proud to announce that even with the massive increase in prizes and available games, the entry fee will not only cover entry into all of our competitions throughout the night, it will also entitle you to a slot in BOTH Main Events! (spaces permitting, 1st-come-1st-served basis) We're looking into pre-registration just now and, if interest in the event is high enough, we will be accepting Tournament Applications for both games from 18th March.

Entry to the event is £5 and £3.50 for students and our venue is 18+.
Any and all profits from the event are being used to cover costs & garner gear for future events.

So yeah, that's pretty much it I suppose. I tried to keep the event solely spread through local circles as it started - because of the host of issues we were having before, I didn't feel it was up to scratch to present to the wider community. I'm that perfectionist that nobody likes.
But now, by our fifth event, it's ready for a ramp up in competition.
I mean, our first winner won the first three Fight Nights, and only missed out on four because he couldn't make it!
Please, come and show the scrubs how it's done.

If you read this, cheers and I love you.
If you're coming, I can't wait to see you there-I'll be the bearded fool that's running about like a nonce.

Thanks again,
- Cyan (Mike/Beard)
Fight Knights

Top Bottom