• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Scottish Thread!

fortunecookie

Smash Journeyman
Alright so the old scottish thread kinda died :(, I also haven't been able to contact Zeppo to edit some of the info on the front page, so i thought I'd make a new one.

To kick off the new thread, there is a tourney at the recently opened Twitch-Gaming on December 17th. More details at: http://www.twitch-gaming.com/2010/12/02/super-smash-bros-melee-tournament/

Contacts:

Edinburgh
Fortunecookie: yujiezhu718@gmail.com
Shiftingshadows: SSs_28@live.co.uk
Jalued: jalued@hotmail.com
Ac_annon: ac_annon@hotmail.com
Grayfox: ryanlawliet@hotmail.com

Glasgow
invisiblemuffin: philmwt@hotmail.com

Dundee
Seikend: i-just-stole-your-face@hotmail.com
Gluepot: ferrygluepot@passport.com

Perth
zeppo : naedanger@hotmail.co.uk

Aberdeen
Mr P: e_johnston_86@hotmail.co.uk

Yeniths

East Midlands!
This is great man. I have an Exam on the 17th in the morning so timing is bad for me :(

But I def want to come up some time, and assuming anything like this comes up again, I'll be there for sure.

fortunecookie

Smash Journeyman
Would be awesome to see you here in the future George! And yeah the timing isn't that great :(, but Twitch-Gaming seems really enthusiastic about hosting smash tournaments!! So Revival Of Scottish Smash??!!!!

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I think the pot split is dumb, but that's just nitpicking. Anyway, gl and hopefully it's a success. :)

grayfox

Smash Champion
Why such a late start? Tourneys usually start around 12, or 1. I'll come if I'm not working but I probably will be, good luck guys!

EDIT: ^yeah a 15% rake is pretty large haha

fortunecookie

Smash Journeyman
The tourney starts at 6pm because december 17th is the last day of exams, which run until 5pm or so.

And yeah 15% is quite a lot, i'll have a chat with the store managers about it.

Jolteon

Yes, that's the primary issue. Though, I think if they want to make more money they should leave the pot alone and just increase the venue fee for simplicity. 50% for 1st place is low, too.

fortunecookie

Smash Journeyman
yeah but the thing is the 15% of the pot is all the place wants. They aren't charging a venue fee or anything so i think its a pretty good deal in the end really. If 20 ppl turn up, the place would only be getting 15 pounds to let us run the tourney for a few hours

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
its a really good deal alex lol

you could do a national with that easily and still do 60/30/10 with the leftover money and still get alright prizes like £60-100

+ no venue fee = sex

you guys should host a national, as long as there's housing

Personally I'd like to go up to scotland even if its far :D

why 6pm onwards? lol

fortunecookie

Smash Journeyman
We would like to host a national sometime, but it'll depend on how this tournament goes and what the store managers think. Also housing would be a bit of an issue...

And its 6pm onwards cuz its on the last day of exams and people aren't free until kinda late. It's fine though because the venue is like a 24hour gaming LAN cafe

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
We would like to host a national sometime, but it'll depend on how this tournament goes and what the store managers think. Also housing would be a bit of an issue...

And its 6pm onwards cuz its on the last day of exams and people aren't free until kinda late. It's fine though because the venue is like a 24hour gaming LAN cafe
doesn't that mean possibly people can pay a lil more and stay overnight? like birmingham

Jolteon

yeah but the thing is the 15% of the pot is all the place wants. They aren't charging a venue fee or anything so i think its a pretty good deal in the end really. If 20 ppl turn up, the place would only be getting 15 pounds to let us run the tourney for a few hours
With no venue fee it's a good deal, I just think it'd be a lot easier to just keep the full pot and have a venue fee, plus getting 1st place would have much more appeal (=more attendance).

By the way, if these ever go on a national scale I will attend.

its a really good deal alex lol

you could do a national with that easily and still do 60/30/10 with the leftover money and still get alright prizes like £60-100

+ no venue fee = sex

you guys should host a national, as long as there's housing

Personally I'd like to go up to scotland even if its far :D

why 6pm onwards? lol
I'm a fan of 70/20/10, and I dunno if there's a house fee for the pot I'd rather see 2nd place go to 20% before taking a sizeable amount of off of 1st place. :|

Housing's always going to be an issue, but I hope you can sort it out somehow.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I am the same with Jolteon in terms of if its ever a National I will attend, but only for that though as obviously it would be too far for too little.

Plus I would just win the event and it will cover my expenses =]

But I don't think FortuneCookie you should run the National based on this turnout as im pretty sure you will only get a few people attending it but with proper time and advertisements and presenting cheap and easy ways for people to get there you will get a decent turnout.

Yeniths

East Midlands!
Even if you get a low turnout, don't let it put you off at all, it can only get better at later dates and will definitely bring more people at a better date. Hopefully this will help the Scot scene out tho :D

I'm really hyped to play you guys again tho :)

I can almost compete with FotuneCookies nairshines now :p

j3ly

Smash Champion
i think i might come to this.. how much is travel from london? euston, CC. stPancras - i dont care, the cheapest one

also how long is travel time? that makes a big difference

can anybody house me? 100% of my attendance relies on being housed, only on the night of the tournament. i can return the favour also

fortunecookie

Smash Journeyman
hey J3ly I can provide you housing for the night of the tournament.

Train tickets from kings cross to edinburgh ranges from 30 to 70 pounds with a rail card depending on how early you book and which train you book onto. The Eastcoast website provides a 10% online discount: http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/

travel time is about 6 hours.

Hope you can make it!

j3ly

Smash Champion
who is the best up in ur way? i need to win teams too if travels gnna pay for itself :)

housing would be great, thanks.

after i arrive at edinbourgh will i need to get a further bus to the venue? i think i will come to this

j3ly

Smash Champion
wowza, cant find anything cheaper than £100.

100% not attending, real shame have fun. 1st to shifting shadows!

fortunecookie

Smash Journeyman
well me and shiftingshadows are teaming but maybe you can team with one of the old veterans like grayfox or AC anon depending if they go...., or maybe one of the newer players like seikend or jalued. I can ask around for you.

When you arrive in edinburgh u can take the number 42 bus to just outside my flat. What day and time were you thinking of arriving?

j3ly

Smash Champion
To:Departs 23:15 London, Victoria Coach Station 16th December
Arrives 08:25 Edinburgh, St. Andrews Sq Bus Stn
9hrs 10mins

1 seat = £14.00

From
Departs 05:10 Edinburgh, St. Andrews Sq Bus Stn
Arrives 15:00 London, Victoria Coach Station
9hrs 50mins

1 seat = £14.00

This is good because it would mean that i arrive nice and early and we could play at urs like all day, assuming you will be around. its also the only way i can find that will result in 1 night spent in scotland, and i could sleep all night on the bus there. in addition it covers for the possibility that it may snow and **** everything up

how long a walk is this 42 bus route? getting back to Edinburgh station for 10 past 5 will be tricky but doable.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Do you lot have recording equipment down there.

I also highly advise you lot to get your own smash channel going cos then you can be more connected with the scene, im just about to attempt to upload some stuff on the OoC channel so i'll tell everyone when thats up.

ShiftingShadows28

Smash Journeyman
Yes we do have recording equipment and we have many hours of footage just sitting on my hard drive doing nothing really. I was considering making a channel, I will discuss with fortunecookie when he gets up.

Btw its awsome that you can make it j3ly. You spending a day at ours will be awsome practise :)

ac_anon

Smash Ace
probably should have checked for this thread before, i will be there unless something very sudden and important comes up, but considering the venue is like a 20 minute walk from my house i see that being unlikely.

Mr P

Smash Ace
This is great what you guys are doing.

It's exaclty what you need to do to keep things going and if you can get these events on a regular basis then no doubt new players will turn up. It's also good that you have recording equipment because videos create hype and interest for the event not only for locals but anyone who sees them, just look at waffles and the west coast.

I cannot be at this event, but if i have nothing important to do and my brother wants to travel i might come along for one. Aberdeen is a long way a way though.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Yes we do have recording equipment and we have many hours of footage just sitting on my hard drive doing nothing really. I was considering making a channel, I will discuss with fortunecookie when he gets up.
Don't consider, there's not really any downfalls to doing it lol, plus you can get advice and improve so you don't always have to get it when you come down to an event which is usually over a long time period and you would have a longer time to work on it and it would be easier to remember and acknowledge and the adive could be more in depth.

ShiftingShadows28

Smash Journeyman
It was more of a consideration as to when its going to be made since its the middle of our exam period atm. My last exam is on the 16th so a channel will be made afterwards or on the 17th with tournament videos uploaded soon after.

@Allan good to hear. I want to see an amazingly chiseled and highly tech skilled samus by the 17th, since you have no exams to eat away at your soul >:D

The snowball is really starting to roll it seems..

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Fair enough, well you could create the channel and then just tell people to subscribe to it so they get the matches in advance but yeah it's good to know you're going to do it anyway, I personally wouldn't mind watching any of you lots matches.

X1-12

Smash Champion
I beat him at GT4, but it was much closer than I liked. He's better at manoeuvring around lasers than I'd ever expect a falcon to be so I wanna learn his jumping patters and stuff

ShiftingShadows28

Smash Journeyman
There are no falcos in Scotland tbh, so what i was doing in the our match up was just improvising really lol. Recently though fortunecookie has played a bit of falco and I am understanding alot more about when to be aggressive and how to just out speed falco at times.

I won our mm although that was very close too at 3-2 =)

I actually 2nd falco but as a falcon main its unlikely that I will ever use him lol >.> maybe i should.

Best falco in Scotland. XD

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I beat him at GT4, but it was much closer than I liked. He's better at manoeuvring around lasers than I'd ever expect a falcon to be so I wanna learn his jumping patters and stuff
So in his face you are asking him to post a video of him playing falco so you can personally figure out his flaws lol???

X1-12

Smash Champion
So in his face you are asking him to post a video of him playing falco so you can personally figure out his flaws lol???
Yup, lol, if I do start to read his jumps etc when we play he'll learn to not play in such a predictable pattern and thus we both get better. Watching him play the match-up should help me vs falcon in general anyway.

Also gonna throw it out there I reckon I can beat any UK falcon main save Fuzz.

Top Bottom