• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Roy Strategem discussion

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
So i was just studying M2Ks Roy, and i noticed that he used the dair as a edgeguarding tool! No he didn't use the comet smash, but instead he used the tip of the blade on the dair. Mike haze vs Mew2King On battlefield. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
So i was just studying M2Ks Roy, and i noticed that he used the dair as a edgeguarding tool! No he didn't use the comet smash, but instead he used the tip of the blade on the dair. Mike haze vs Mew2King On battlefield. Any thoughts?
Roy can do some weird DI traps with tiny hitboxes on Battlefield, like sometimes a friend of mine accidentally DIs in on my tipper jab or single side-B and gets stage-screwed because of that. I also found out that if you can get Falco or Fox to recover from below the ledge, you can jump forward and B-Reverse Flare Blade them under the stage and still be able to up-B back to the ledge to gimp them.

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
Roy can do some weird DI traps with tiny hitboxes on Battlefield, like sometimes a friend of mine accidentally DIs in on my tipper jab or single side-B and gets stage-screwed because of that. I also found out that if you can get Falco or Fox to recover from below the ledge, you can jump forward and B-Reverse Flare Blade them under the stage and still be able to up-B back to the ledge to gimp them.
Ok thx for the info :D! But again, flare blade should be used more! Btw Roy's sword is slightly longer than Marths, so I tried a little stuff and I noticed that Roy in some cases CAN hit an opponent on dreamland if they're on a platform above you. Also, because of flare blades hitbox above Roy's head, it's really useful as a surprise and mixup move! It works a ton of times against the people I play against! And if you have trouble killing a space animal when it's ~120%, you can use flare blade instead of fsmash because of how fast it comes out.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Favorite MU in the game, hands down.

Just played Roy today for the first time in months. Will upload the session later.

camerino1

Smash Lord
Hello guys, I bring you the Roy on FD. https://youtu.be/VWYogR9mrTs?t=2m and again https://youtu.be/XT1y35C7NUs?t=9m54s. Just figured you'd all like to see what I've been doing recently. I feel like I've gotten better, but watching these back I keep missing dash inputs. I've actually hurt my thumb trying to pivot properly, so I think I'm gonna have to figure out a nicer trick to pivoting because I keep hurting myself mid game and just standing still.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Solid stuff but it's very fortunate both of those Falcos couldn't sweetspot or DI. Start wavedashing out of shield inbetween Falco lasers. Better Falcos will punish those rolls into possible death combos. I would also go for longer upthrow chains and tech chases with fthrow at low percents.

Here's footage of me playing terrible yesterday. Game 1 started off ruff lol:
h

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
Lol ty, just need to get back into the groove and not drop edgeguards.
You got any tips? Any kind is appreciated. I have only played melee for 3 months and I have been using Roy as my main since day 1. Thou I still kinda suck. Gonna try get some sort of recording device so you guys can watch me play and help me.(Sorry if my English is a little shaky) :D

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Center stage is super important with Roy because of his weak recovery. You should not do aerials when your opponent is on the ground because of crouch cancels. Try to only use aerials if the opponent is in the air. Bair has a really good, underrated hitbox. His other aerials are okay except for dair.

Roy's playstyle is focused around dashing and wavedashing around into down-tilt and grab. You can use the other moves (notably, side b and f-smash) when necessary. But grab (huge range) and d-tilt (sets up combos and hard to whiff punish) are the core of your neutral game. Don't forget about aerial neutral b as a combo finisher.

Last edited:

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
Center stage is super important with Roy because of his weak recovery. You should not do aerials when your opponent is on the ground because of crouch cancels. Try to only use aerials if the opponent is in the air. Bair has a really good, underrated hitbox. His other aerials are okay except for dair.

Roy's playstyle is focused around dashing and wavedashing around into down-tilt and grab. You can use the other moves (notably, side b and f-smash) when necessary. But grab (huge range) and d-tilt (sets up combos and hard to whiff punish) are the core of your neutral game. Don't forget about aerial neutral b as a combo finisher.
Ah ok thx :D! I actually gotta start using Roy's Bair a bit more. Many people have said it's underrated and I almost never use it. Also, I have noticed that his up tilt almost always leads to a combo. Seems like you can use down tilt to up tilt as a extremely good combo starter! Also, I need to train my juggle game with Roy, any tips on where to hit, what move you should do between (Roy's up air have so low knock back), etc. again thx for the help :D

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Try to hit with the middle of Roy's sword to have the best knockback on aerials (for combos). If you get the light hit, the opponent can usually just airdodge our jump out of your "combo". The middle of Roy's sword (sweetspot) has better knockback, which is critical if you want to get any sort of combo started at low percents. Sweetspotted uair and sweetspotted fair are your main combo tools at low percents, which you can go into after a d-tilt or u-throw confirm.

Fair usually combos into another d-tilt at low percents or into a grab or f-smash at slightly higher percents. Uair tends to combo into itself or other aerials. Usually you want to end uair strings with an aerial neutral b finisher (flare blade). It won't kill outright usually, but it has the most aerial knockback and does the most damage; can set up for an edgeguard.

Last edited:

Charlie.

Smash Rookie
I keep having trouble with the falcos in my area platform camping me. What is the best way to get around this or is that just a shortcoming of the character? pls help. Also pls give vs. Ganon tips.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Beat Ganon in neutral with dash dance grabs. F/d-throw tech chasing him isn't terrible, but ideally you want to u-throw him, read his aerial options, catch him with fair/uair into f-smash and edgeguard.

Bair is a great way to beat Falco's dair and poke at him safely. Bair spaced from the side is very safe because even if you whiff, you can fade away from Falco and be safe literally frames after whiffing. Fair is good too.

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
I keep having trouble with the falcos in my area platform camping me. What is the best way to get around this or is that just a shortcoming of the character? pls help. Also pls give vs. Ganon tips.
I can't really help you when it comes to the Falco matchup hehe. I only play against my brother and he doesn't really like Falco. However, he does play Dorf! So against Dorf the neutral can be a bit hard if he lands a hit. But as long as you space well and combo him everything should be ok. Also you can do a nair to fsmash if you do the nair close to a platform, then jump on to the platform and do fsmash. It's scary how good this combo is and it can kill super early on Yoshis. For edgeguarding it's surprisingly easy... Or my brother might just suck. It's super risky to recover on to the stage because then you could just fsmash and he's kinda ded. Grab ledge ded. Grab ledge wave land on to stage fsmash ded. You can juggle Dorf kinda easy because of how much lag he has. Up air up air up air. If he tries to hit you while you juggle him, it's super easy to punish with something stronger. I usually do a few up airs, short hop to scare him a little. Hopefully he will throw out a move if you let him. Then punish. Buuuut I'm not a super good player, neither are my brother, so it might as well be the opposite lol. If anyone else have tips then listen to them instead of me. Gl :D

Last edited:

Charlie.

Smash Rookie
Beat Ganon in neutral with dash dance grabs. F/d-throw tech chasing him isn't terrible, but ideally you want to u-throw him, read his aerial options, catch him with fair/uair into f-smash and edgeguard..
Is dtilt not good when comboing ganon, or am I not properly using it? I often find it pops them up to far to get a true followup since ganon is surprisingly floaty. Is this correct or is there a better way to combo him other than the standard fair dtilt fair etc.? is just flare blade charge the best edgeguard on ganon or no?

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Is dtilt not good when comboing ganon, or am I not properly using it? I often find it pops them up to far to get a true followup since ganon is surprisingly floaty. Is this correct or is there a better way to combo him other than the standard fair dtilt fair etc.? is just flare blade charge the best edgeguard on ganon or no?
Down-tilt is fine for comboing Ganon. You just have to be careful when using d-tilt because Ganon's short hop fair will go over it and beat it cleanly.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
You got any tips? Any kind is appreciated. I have only played melee for 3 months and I have been using Roy as my main since day 1. Thou I still kinda suck. Gonna try get some sort of recording device so you guys can watch me play and help me.(Sorry if my English is a little shaky) :D
As Roy I kinda just try to put up a wall of shield pivot Nairs and DD forward bs. Most of my gameplay is just baiting my opponent into getting grabbed, dtilted, or fsmashed with fancy ground movement and empty short hops. Roy literally has the movement of a top tier, which is why I think he has some potential since top tier movement = able to get around things, able to bait things, etc. I say definitely check out PewPewU's Marth tutorials on movement. A lot of that stuff is amazing for Roy (pivot fsmash, shield pivot Nair, etc). Helped me a ton and I think every Roy/Marth should look over it.

A few basic notes:

-Vs Spacies you ofc want to chaingrab them but clean fsmashes and forward bs (make sure you do forward UP then forward) can wreck them since they get flown away into easy edgeguard situations. A simple tomawhawk fsmash, cc fsmash, or pivot fsmash can end a stock at like 50%

-Dash dance camping is lame but really effective. I think Roy should more defensive than offensive.

-Pivot grabs and CC grabs are sick. Also straight up grabbing characters out of their moves (ex. Fox Nair). Marth clone ftw.

- don't spam dtilt too much

- nair is your best aerial and uair is almost always unreliable

- some combos are best ended with an aerial neutral B (more knockbock/range)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why is Lunchable's Melee Roy almost better than Sethlon's?
Something a lot of people don't actually know is that during Sethlons melee career, he wasn't nearly as good at smash as he was during PM. There were a lot of Roy players who were better than him in Melee, he just ended up playing for the longest and was known as a result.

Sethlons melee roy is definitely fun to watch, but in terms of direct competition to other Roys he isn't exactly triumphant or anything. He became a significantly better player in his transition to PM, as you could tell by his results.

edit: Yeah I play melee from time to time, I heavily prefer PM but Melee Roy is actually my favorite character to play in all of smash. I'm usually pretty rusty since melee is a game you need to practice often, but I like going to the weeklies from time to time and seeing how I do. I'm glad there are other people who like Roy lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
Something a lot of people don't actually know is that during Sethlons melee career, he wasn't nearly as good at smash as he was during PM. There were a lot of Roy players who were better than him in Melee, he just ended up playing for the longest and was known as a result.

Sethlons melee roy is definitely fun to watch, but in terms of direct competition to other Roys he isn't exactly triumphant or anything. He became a significantly better player in his transition to PM, as you could tell by his results.

edit: Yeah I play melee from time to time, I heavily prefer PM but Melee Roy is actually my favorite character to play in all of smash. I'm usually pretty rusty since melee is a game you need to practice often, but I like going to the weeklies from time to time and seeing how I do. I'm glad there are other people who like Roy lol
:O i didnt know you were so good with melee roy! Btw, i really struggle against Falco, mostly because i freaking suck at the matchup. Do you have any tips? Like, my biggest problem is approaching and escaping combos. My combo/edgeguard game is pretty solid, especially edgeguarding. Also, Lunchables, Kawaii-kun and NJZ, how did you guys get into melee? I also wanna know a little bit about Chivalruse. How tha shizwiz did you guys get so good and know so much about the game?

Last edited:

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
:O i didnt know you were so good with melee roy! Btw, i really struggle against Falco, mostly because i freaking suck at the matchup. Do you have any tips? Like, my biggest problem is approaching and escaping combos. My combo/edgeguard game is pretty solid, especially edgeguarding. Also, Lunchables, Kawaii-kun and NJZ, how did you guys get into melee? I also wanna know a little bit about Chivalruse. How tha shizwiz did you guys get so good and know so much about the game?
I got into Melee competitively from a friend who one day decided that we played Melee instead of Brawl, and I found the game felt more smooth movement-wise. He also knew about WaveDashing and L-Cancelling and told me about them, and after practicing them I started beating his arse. One day I remembered how I played Kirby, Roy and Game & Watch a lot when I was a kid and I found videos of Mew2king's Roy, Qerb and Phenom's Game & Watches, and T1mmy's matches where he Kirbycided a ton. From then on I decided to go with those characters and see how far I can possibly take them.

And I wouldn't say I'm THAT good :p, but I experiment with stuff a lot and practice certain tech I feel I need to work on when I'm not playing against my friends (Like Empty-Pivots and perfect WaveLands, currently).

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Loved smash as a casual and thought no one could beat me.

Found Mew2King via his AOL videogame stat website and he told me to join smashboards.

D

Deleted member

Holy ****ing **** this Roy gameplay is some of the best I've ever seen. I didn't think I'd ever find people playing Roy at a high level nowadays, but this is gold.

Kind of want to play Melee Roy again after seeing this thread, watching me play really sloppy at that monday night melee makes me want to do better. I've got a lot of PM Roy habits still left in my gameplay + general movement patterns that I need to get more comfortable with since Melee is hard lol

edit: I started playing smash when I went to a local video game store that ran tournaments (that I'm actually sponsored by now, FX Game Exchange). They ran some casual events for a while until Denti and Sethlon started hosting actual brawl/melee tournaments there, and I found out about smashboards and then eventually the rest of the scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom