• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Roy Strategem discussion

Audos

Smash Apprentice
Hi Guys I haven't been too active but while I wasn't active I tested some stuff with Roy for example I learned that First Hit of N-air can combo into some stuff you can do stuff like Nair 1-F-Smash Nair 1-Grab,etc. so you can use this to setup some kill confirms

NOTES: Tested on 20XX 4.05 CPUs with "Optimal" DI, Hilt will always send them to Roy's Back so that's guaranteed,Tip depends on your opponents DI now ill give props to "Little ****" on discord for telling me that Tip wont always send them in front of Roy and thought me that its DI dependant

Hope this Helps!
That would be a nice combo extender in some situations, as a neutral tool it isn't too great since aiming the first hitbox makes it hard to cover space (it isn't lasting and roy's jump is slow to start). Maybe this could have an impact on the way roy finishes tech chases, though, like if he fthrows near ledge and the opponent does no tech you can cover that then react to rolls like falco does with early lasers. Since it links to f-smash you might be able to threaten them into not teching a certain way and hard cover other tech options. The only thing I really worry about is how CC affects this. The opponent is looking to CC everything roy does the moment his frame enters the air, have you tested if it is set knockback and how CC/asdi down affect it's combo potential?

Josmarlu

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0001-3768-9186
That would be a nice combo extender in some situations, as a neutral tool it isn't too great since aiming the first hitbox makes it hard to cover space (it isn't lasting and roy's jump is slow to start). Maybe this could have an impact on the way roy finishes tech chases, though, like if he fthrows near ledge and the opponent does no tech you can cover that then react to rolls like falco does with early lasers. Since it links to f-smash you might be able to threaten them into not teching a certain way and hard cover other tech options. The only thing I really worry about is how CC affects this. The opponent is looking to CC everything roy does the moment his frame enters the air, have you tested if it is set knockback and how CC/asdi down affect it's combo potential?
No I haven't tested much but ill continue exploring

Dralro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Deadeye42
Well if it isn't the Roy thread, so who are the best Roy players now? How is everyone doing? Any sick meta changes, and where can I learn how to play Roy?

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
Best active Roy players right now are Lunchables (Texas), Pvt O'Malley (Tristate), and Lag (Mexico).

No sick meta changes really. Join the Roy discord if you want, not too much in-depth discussion in there IMO but if you want to ask, that's the place to go.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Finally played Lunchables. He is simply godlike.

Roy is definitely an untapped character. Honestly the meta has def been changing. Roys (aka just Lunchables) aren't just dashdancing into Forward B and CC fsmashing anymore. We just need more 20GX forwardthrow techchasing.

Last edited:

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
Finally played Lunchables. He is simply godlike.

Roy is definitely an untapped character. Honestly the meta has def been changing. Roys (aka just Lunchables) aren't just dashdancing into Forward B and CC fsmashing anymore. We just need more 20GX forwardthrow techchasing.
TBH I prefer d-throw techchase

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Well you use both (check Chandy's post). Fthrow is better, Dthrow gives the opponent more options.

Also I think people just need realize you are a freaking Marth clone. Don't just go for fish for down tilts, play like a wiener with your top tier movement and grab range. Like Sheik and Fox players should be annoyed approaching you. Vs Falco, Marth players like to Jab in between the Laser to Aerial hit stun or dash away, dash back + grab right in between it (check PPMD vs Zang for a good example of this). Roy can do the same thing. Forward B even works and can **** the Falco's life since this is a kill move. Even at lower percents, just do > ^ ^ to setup the knockdown for a tech chase.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Cool new set from Lunchables' Roy vs Arc's Marth (game 3 set 1, game 1 and 2 set 2)

Last edited:

MickJaegar

Smash Rookie
Holy crap dude, that was lit as hell.
My favorite stock was probably his 2nd stock on YS. He played a really good defensive game and completely shut out Arc while being able to rack a ton of damage on him, which gave him a major lead.
So sad that he couldn't get the Uthrow kill on him in FoD. That last stock REALLY came down to the wire. (Does Uthrow kill Marth at 180 on FoD? I think it has a higher ceiling than YS)

Last edited:
Top Bottom