• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Pit should be a hybrid of his Brawl/Wii U appearances

(After reading) What should Pit's moveset be like in Super Smash Bros Ultimate?

• Just like in SSB Brawl.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • A compromise similar to what Electric-Gecko proposed.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Something closer to Brawl than what Electric-Gecko proposed.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something closer to SSB4 Wii U than Electric-Gecko proposed.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Just like in SSB4 Wii U.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • A more radical new Up-special &/or Side-Special

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

Electric-Gecko

Smash Cadet
I think that the new Pit should be a compromise between his versions in Brawl and Wii U. Dark Pit can be adjusted to please the fans of SSB4WU Pit.

As a Pit main in Brawl, I was very disappointed to find him massively overhauled in SSB4. However, others have pointed out the problems with him in Brawl; he relies too much on stunning, making him annoying to play against. Therefore, he should be a compromise between his last two appearances.
  • Palutena's Bow (the arrows) should behave similarly to in Brawl. The damage should be almost as high as in Brawl, and the lag should be almost as low. However, I think it should be possible to aim their initial angle slightly (I would make Dark Pit capable of this as well).
  • The new Up-special should start like Power of Flight (Smash 4), but fades into Wings of Icarus (Brawl) in the first 0.7-1 seconds. It would start with an upward blast which can be steered by the player, but then grants full directional control as in Wings of Icarus. It should not last more than 2 seconds (Wings of Icarus lasted 3), but should not be able to go higher than Power of Flight (even when directed straight upwards).
  • The Side-special should somehow be a compromise between Upperdash Arm (4) and Angel Ring (Brawl). It should have low start up lag (like Angel Ring), and variable (though limited) duration. It may be similar to Marth's side special, except that it hits at a much higher frequency, and more initial sideways movement. It should block projectiles, but not reflect them. We can talk about other options for a new side-special.
  • For the Down-special, Pit will pull-out his Mirror Shield and the Guardian Orbitars appear at the same time, which disappear after 0.4 seconds. Therefore, it initially acts as a bidirectional shield, but then turns into a unidirectional shield shortly after activation. He should be able to turn around during this move.
  • The aerials should be generally more like in Brawl than in Smash for Wii U, especially the forward aerial (which should be a powerful 1-2 hits, rather than a weak 3 hit).
Like I said, Dark Pit can be made slightly more like the Wii U version of Pit, in order to please fans of that version of Pit.

From the current build of Ultimate, it appears they are changing him very slightly from Smash 4 to make him just slightly more like he was in Brawl by adjusting the starting lag, ending lag, and knockback of some moves. However, they're still planning to use the unversatile and lame Power of Flight from Smash 4.

To remind you of differences, read this, and watch this video:
This video doesn't give you a very good idea of lag, as you're not the one pushing the buttons.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I’d rather stick with :ultpit: fighting exactly the same way as he does in Ultimate (so like Smash 4 but with more KO power and faster hits). As for :ultdarkpit: since he fights exactly like :ultpit:, it wouldn’t make sense for them to have different movesets (they’d have to have the exact same fighting moveset)

Pit’s alright as he is.

Angel Ring would probably need a finisher to be useful, so pretty much the same as his upper dash arm but with no armor.

He has a new dash attack and his multi hit jab animation looks way cooler. D-tilt pops people straight up again.

Ultimate Pit is great.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I would like him to be like in Brawl while Dark Pit is like Smash Wii U. But then again, Dark Pit being labeled an Echo Fighter would make even less sense. But then again, I'm not much of a fan of the whole Echo Fighters thing and I think Dark Pit, Lucina and Daisy should have their own numbers indicating when they've been revealed. Dark Pit and Lucina have been revealed with Palutena and Robin. Daisy is the second newcomer in Ultimate. And if the Echoes could have their own numbers and not be branded as Echoes, it'll be a lot easier to luigify Dark Pit.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
it'll be a lot easier to luigify Dark Pit.
Not when your whole fighting style is literally to fight exactly like the guy you despise yet respect. He’s literally the only person (other than:ultmewtwo::ultsnake:) to be a clone of someone else

Electric-Gecko

Smash Cadet
I made some edits to my ideas for Pit's new moveset. I won't do that again if anyone votes for it in the poll.

Only 2 votes so far, but Eternal phoenix Fire's opinion looks like "Something closer to SSB4 Wii U than Electric-Gecko proposed".

I have a bigger issue with the Up-special in Smash 4 (Power of Flight) then the new Side-special (Upperdash Arm). Power of Flight just isn't versatile enough. Interestingly, Olimar's new Up-special in Smash 4 is similar to Pit's Brawl Up-special (Wings of Icarus).

I want the new side special to have less start-up lag than Upperdash Arm in Smash 4, though I wouldn't make it exactly like Angel Ring either.
I’d rather stick with :ultpit: fighting exactly the same way as he does in Ultimate (so like Smash 4 but with more KO power and faster hits). As for :ultdarkpit: since he fights exactly like :ultpit:, it wouldn’t make sense for them to have different movesets (they’d have to have the exact same fighting moveset)
You're post isn't very clear. I think you're saying that you want Pit in Ultimate to be just like the version of Ultimate that we have seen. ?

Are you saying that Dark Pit must have a moveset like Pit because he tries to fight like Pit in Kid Icarus?

Super Smash Bros is quite loose in how it represents characters, and it's more important to make it a good game than accurately represent the characters in their source material. For example, Samus was never a martial arts expert in Metroid like she is in Smash. Making Pit & Dark Pit more different (as I proposed) would be better from a gameplay perspective, but they still wouldn't be too much different from each-other in the proposal I described.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You're post isn't very clear. I think you're saying that you want Pit in Ultimate to be just like the version of Ultimate that we have seen. ?

Are you saying that Dark Pit must have a moveset like Pit because he tries to fight like Pit in Kid Icarus?

Super Smash Bros is quite loose in how it represents characters, and it's more important to make it a good game than accurately represent the characters in their source material. For example, Samus was never a martial arts expert in Metroid like she is in Smash. Making Pit & Dark Pit more different (as I proposed) would be better from a gameplay perspective, but they still wouldn't be too much different from each-other in the proposal I described.
With Pit that’s exactly what I’m saying

As for Dark Pit, Sakurai made him as an intended alt before becoming an echo while in Uprising he literally was a Dark Pit (every single fighting move he made other than the kick to the mini boss in chapter 9 of Uprising and the lack of using any of the Sacred Treasures is equal to Pit, didn’t even need to try). Also, Samus doesn’t do much fighting other than jump and shoot, while Pittoo has a whole fighting style that was given to him by his superior. Making him different outside of the final smash wouldn’t be much of a Sakurai thing to do considering the vast majority of KI content in Smash, including story continuity, is all from Uprising (with Smash being apart of the Kid Icarus canon now, and how Pit was completely revamped to match up with Sakurai’s vision, downgrading him back to his retro days wouldn’t fit the current Smash whatsoever). It’s better for Pit to stay with his Uprising moveset and for Pittoo to continue what he’s always done fighting wise...copying Pit.

Electric-Gecko

Smash Cadet
Dark Pit is such an insignificant character to Nintendo's history, that his very presence in Smash 4 as a separate (but very similar) character was unjustified. They could have made him as a reskin of Pit. But having him as a separate character isn't justified when his moveset is that similar.

But then again, Dark Pit being labeled an Echo Fighter would make even less sense. ... And if the Echoes could have their own numbers and not be branded as Echoes, it'll be a lot easier to luigify Dark Pit.
If they went with my proposal, they would simply not label Dark Pit as an echo fighter. Of course, they would have to renumber many characters for the games release, but I think that's fine. The fact that characters are numbered should not interfere with the game design.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Dark Pit is such an insignificant character to Nintendo's history, that his very presence in Smash 4 as a separate (but very similar) character was unjustified. They could have made him as a reskin of Pit. But having him as a separate character isn't justified when his moveset is that similar.
Clones/Echoes are icing on a super stuffed cake, and as had been stated by Sakurai before, Dark Pit never uses the Three/Great Sacred Treasures in Uprising and he found it weird to give a character that he made for a game that he was in charge of something he’s never used before. If he wasn’t an alt or a clone, he pretty much wouldn’t have been in the game at all (would’ve only been Pit and Palutena). That alone (plus the fact he’s a literal clone) is enough to have Pittoo’s moveset be Pit’s minus the final smash. Also, insignificance doesn’t matter that much in Smash, otherwise characters like :ultfalcon::ulticeclimbers::ultroy::ultwiifittrainer: and almost :ultcorrin: wouldn’t be near Smash

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord

If they went with my proposal, they would simply not label Dark Pit as an echo fighter. Of course, they would have to renumber many characters for the games release, but I think that's fine. The fact that characters are numbered should not interfere with the game design.
Honestly, I think Dark Pit, Lucina and Daisy should be numbered. Clones are more of a fan's opinion and a lot of characters who started off as clones don't have the Echo Fighter label.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Honestly, I think Dark Pit, Lucina and Daisy should be numbered. Clones are more of a fan's opinion and a lot of characters who started off as clones don't have the Echo Fighter label.
They definitely deserve their own number (or atleast be separate from the people they copy)

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
I don't have ultimate but what i hoped changed was the upper arm dash. Its armor doesn't work well and ends up hurting more then helping. I much rather use the side b in brawl. Timed well it was useful.

J.B.

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
1342-4251-4349
I don't have ultimate but what i hoped changed was the upper arm dash. Its armor doesn't work well and ends up hurting more then helping. I much rather use the side b in brawl. Timed well it was useful.
Upperdash Arm actually seems worse. I had a lot harder time killing with it at the event. Electroshock Arm seems about the same, but I do miss DP's grunge scream when using it every now and then. :gova:

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
Upperdash Arm actually seems worse. I had a lot harder time killing with it at the event. Electroshock Arm seems about the same, but I do miss DP's grunge scream when using it every now and then. :gova:
ugh welp i'm not using that move. I don't mind it being weaker if the lag is less and it actually counters moves. Maybe its just because my brother uses rob but i swear it doesn't work on robs netural air or gets interupted by the gyro.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
ugh welp i'm not using that move. I don't mind it being weaker if the lag is less and it actually counters moves. Maybe its just because my brother uses rob but i swear it doesn't work on robs netural air or gets interupted by the gyro.
Upperdash Arm always sucked against moves in the air if you're on the ground. It KOs pretty decently at about 120%'ish, though.

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
I like Pit's new retooled moveset, but I would like to see his old arrows back, and for both Pit and Dark Pit, you can't loop them anymore and they're pretty slow, ultimate makes the arrows a bit faster. I'm indifferent about PoF and WoI because getting hit out of WoI means you just lose and good players are good at hitting you out of WoI, Power of Flight I don't think I'm ever hit out of it accept when I'm trying to snap to the ledge. I never liked Angel Ring. Maybe add the old brawl moves as a custom move.

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
I like Pit's new retooled moveset, but I would like to see his old arrows back, and for both Pit and Dark Pit, you can't loop them anymore and they're pretty slow, ultimate makes the arrows a bit faster. I'm indifferent about PoF and WoI because getting hit out of WoI means you just lose and good players are good at hitting you out of WoI, Power of Flight I don't think I'm ever hit out of it accept when I'm trying to snap to the ledge. I never liked Angel Ring. Maybe add the old brawl moves as a custom move.
whats Pof and Wol stand for? I think Pof is power of flight?

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Brawl pit was honestly the best incarnation of him, smash4 and ultimate his moves are really laggy and he’s really floaty so he ends up having a hard time getting in and also killing. His arrows are still not that great and the fact that they’re still so week makes it tough to use them for anything more than air dodging. His reflector is kinda bad imo so I don’t know if he’s good against zoners.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It’s been a few weeks, and I still find Ultimate Pit to be the best Pit

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
It’s been a few weeks, and I still find Ultimate Pit to be the best Pit
What makes you say that? His arrows are worse and imo his fair is worse than his brawl incarnation, not to mention that his moves are was slower. I’m trying to get better with him so any tips would be helpful.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
What makes you say that? His arrows are worse and imo his fair is worse than his brawl incarnation, not to mention that his moves are was slower. I’m trying to get better with him so any tips would be helpful.
Well for me...

Arrows are easier to move and to stop opponents from recovering or for sniping
Upperdash racks up some good damage while Electroshock is still a good ko move
Grabs are good as usual
Better air combos with throws (especially with nair and fair)
Nair is just beautiful
Guardian Orbitars are still useful for shielding from a strong attack (giving extra shield or dodge chances a boost)
Dash Attack and Infinite Jab...that is all
Though not as awesome as the Three Sacred Treasures, Lightning Chariot is still a beast when contact is made
and finally, the most important reason why Ultimate Pit is the Best Pit...his star ko scream

As for advice...I’m no teacher (thank :ultpalutena: for that), but these videos should help

Last edited:
Top Bottom